PDA

View Full Version : Horry's Dunk in the '05 finals

rAm
03-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Anyone remember this?

I think he had two, one where he tried to take off from the free-throw line in traffic and bricked it off the front of the rim, but one very similar where he threw it down real hard and hurt his shoulder.

Anyone have a link to a vid/gif of either of these? Can't seem to find them but I remember thinking Horry was a such a beast for doing that.

honestfool84
03-18-2010, 12:00 PM
resign Horry thread!

Dex
03-18-2010, 12:02 PM
BZdik09RGJI

SpursNextRomanEmpire
03-18-2010, 12:06 PM
BZdik09RGJI
So bad ass, I remember that game like it was yesterday :hat

SpursRulez4eVeR
03-18-2010, 12:26 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/rt3u3s.gif

rAm
03-18-2010, 12:55 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/rt3u3s.gif

haha yes, perfect!

Mixability
03-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Such an awesome finals, fuck the ratings!

tp2021
03-18-2010, 02:06 PM
I can seriously sit here and watch that gif all day.

tp2021
03-18-2010, 02:09 PM
BZdik09RGJI

Nothing says "thank you" like the face Tim gave Rob at the end of this vid. :lol

duncan228
03-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Nothing says "thank you" like the face Tim gave Rob at the end of this vid. :lol

Duncan said it was one of the best performances he'd ever been a part of.

Duncan's post game interview was great, it starts at the 3:27 mark.

Also in here is Duncan on Pop's 'polite timeout' in game one, it starts at the 1:34 mark.

4Y6PTUtWTyE

spurtilldeath
03-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Duncan said it was one of the best performances he'd ever been a part of.

Duncan's post game interview was great, it starts at the 3:27 mark.

Also in here is Duncan on Pop's 'polite timeout' in game one, it starts at the 1:34 mark.

4Y6PTUtWTyE

That last quote by Bill russell. I wish Duncan could say that after his last game in his career.

tp2021
03-18-2010, 04:23 PM
^Hopefully that day won't come after this season, or he probably wouldn't say that.

gaKNOW!blee
03-18-2010, 05:35 PM
remember that play very well...i was sure they were going to call a charge there, and if they did the game was over. thank god he made that play.

didnt he miss the FT tho? lol

rAm
03-18-2010, 05:36 PM
I can seriously sit here and watch that gif all day.

amen

gaKNOW!blee
03-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Manu was such a gangster that year....the long hair look was great

TDMVPDPOY
03-18-2010, 05:43 PM
that horry dunk is like pippens dunk over ewing in 93/94 or was it 94/95....nasty my friend

FeZZy
03-18-2010, 05:51 PM
its so funny how he had no elevation on the dunk it was his out streched arms that dunked it

Muser
03-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Funny when you think of it, without Horry we probably don't win that series, but then Pop doesn't fall in love with the small ball 4 that he has been looking for ever since Horry retired.

ezau
03-18-2010, 09:53 PM
Horry, what an amazing role player. We'll never have anybody like him.

himat
03-18-2010, 10:38 PM
:flipoff guys. :lol:depressed

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Let's get it straight here: Horry scored 21pts in the final 17 minutes of the game (4th Q and OT), including that left-handed dunk which put his shoulder out, shortly followed by Sheed's brain explosion and the game winning 3. We were down and out and looked like going 3-2 down at home before Horry said "no fuckin way" and won the game for us, saving Timmy's arse as he'd had a shocker.

It was one of the greatest role player Finals performances of all time.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-18-2010, 10:42 PM
:flipoff guys. :lol:depressed

:makeout

:lmao

rAm
03-18-2010, 10:57 PM
Let's get it straight here: Horry scored 21pts in the final 17 minutes of the game (4th Q and OT), including that left-handed dunk which put his shoulder out, shortly followed by Sheed's brain explosion and the game winning 3. We were down and out and looked like going 3-2 down at home before Horry said "no fuckin way" and won the game for us, saving Timmy's arse as he'd had a shocker.

Well said, he put everything out there.

himat
03-18-2010, 11:02 PM
:makeout

:lmao

I'm assuming the makeout smiley was a mistake.:lol

...Right?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-18-2010, 11:45 PM
I'm assuming the makeout smiley was a mistake.:lol

...Right?

You can rest assured that I don't want to make out with you.

It was meant to be like when you're a kid and something bad happens to you and your mother kisses it better, but I can see how that doesn't come through... :lol

It was in response to the :flipoff and your obvious pain at the memory of Horry.

ezau
03-19-2010, 12:31 AM
Amazing Finals series, until now, I can't believe how the Spurs beat that Pistons team

spurs10
03-19-2010, 12:40 AM
Hell yes...great thread!!

Cant_Be_Faded
03-19-2010, 12:42 AM
I will never forget that game. I just happened to be at 4cc's house with Mookie there as well. We all had three 40's each. I spilt my last forty all over his floor by jerking out of my swivel chair when Horry hit that final three. I had just opened it. The malt liquor was all over his living room hard floor. But we didn't care. We were ecstatic. Cleaned it up later.

8FOR!3
03-19-2010, 12:52 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and say it.

Can we bring Horry back? ;)

Man In Black
03-19-2010, 01:34 AM
I remember that game well. I was in Vegas at the Venetian. My wife put a bet on that game and she was pissed that the Spurs were down, the Sports bar was full of Piston fans, so we went back to our hotel room and then watched what unfolded. When Horry happened...what a show! And what a win for both the Spurs and my wife.
Oh and when his shoulder issues pop up, it ain't a dislocation, what Horry suffered from are called stingers. It's a nerve issue that gets exacerbated by joints in a faulty position. It happened to Horry quite frequently in his career, but if you noticed, he was able to shrug them off after a few irritating moments.

timtonymanu
03-19-2010, 01:56 AM
God I miss the old days when the Spurs had role players that had balls. We're stuck now with so called role players that play well in meaningless games but hide like bitches when we play .600 teams.

Mel_13
03-19-2010, 02:15 AM

Horry definitely saved Timmy's bacon that night. Tim had a terrible 4th quarter missing 6 of 7 free throws and the tip-in at the buzzer. Without Horry's heroics, the game and the series could have easily gone the other way and Timmy would have shouldered the blame. Fortunately, Horry delivered and Duncan would go on to display some of his own heroics in the second half of Game 7. Just a great game.

For the record, Horry's first three points came on the last shot of the third quarter. When I rewatch the game I usually start with that shot.:toast

gaKNOW!blee
03-19-2010, 11:19 AM
I also remember after Horry hit that 3, I was SURE Billups was going to break our hearts and hit a game winner on the next possession. But he didn't...I dont even think they got a good shot off.

Mel_13
03-19-2010, 11:27 AM
I also remember after Horry hit that 3, I was SURE Billups was going to break our hearts and hit a game winner on the next possession. But he didn't...I dont even think they got a good shot off.

Parker did a great job on Hamilton. Shot never had a chance of going in.

aIv68zhwNQs

JamStone
03-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Crazy memories. He wasn't non-existent, but relatively quiet that series until the second half and overtime of game 5. The three pointer aside, I think he himself individually changed the momentum and course of that entire series. Amazing performance in that game by Horry. Fuck him.

temujin
03-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Robert Horry a ROLE player?

If his ROLE was winning games, sure.

Robert Horry just knew how to play basketball.

angelbelow
03-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Man I miss Horry

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-19-2010, 10:16 PM
I remember that game well. I was in Vegas at the Venetian. My wife put a bet on that game and she was pissed that the Spurs were down, the Sports bar was full of Piston fans, so we went back to our hotel room and then watched what unfolded. When Horry happened...what a show! And what a win for both the Spurs and my wife.
Oh and when his shoulder issues pop up, it ain't a dislocation, what Horry suffered from are called stingers. It's a nerve issue that gets exacerbated by joints in a faulty position. It happened to Horry quite frequently in his career, but if you noticed, he was able to shrug them off after a few irritating moments.

Good to know, thanks. :tu

I wondered how he quickly recovered from what looked like a pop-out-and-back-in dislocation.

Horry definitely saved Timmy's bacon that night. Tim had a terrible 4th quarter missing 6 of 7 free throws and the tip-in at the buzzer. Without Horry's heroics, the game and the series could have easily gone the other way and Timmy would have shouldered the blame. Fortunately, Horry delivered and Duncan would go on to display some of his own heroics in the second half of Game 7. Just a great game.

For the record, Horry's first three points came on the last shot of the third quarter. When I rewatch the game I usually start with that shot.:toast

Duncan's 3rd quarter in that game was up at the level of his game 6 in 2003. The team was totally out of sorts, down 8 (or was it 9?), Timmy couldn't buy a bucket or a call, but he kept fighting and fighting, and turned the whole game on a smart split of an undersized double team (Prince and Rip) for a 3pt play, then a banker, then some more. Suddenly the lead was gone, then Manu went coast-to-coast near the end of the 3rd, took over from Tim, and the Pistons never challenged again. :D

The 2005 Finals cops a lot of criticism, but I think it was a fantastic series.

poop
03-20-2010, 12:55 AM
Crazy memories. He wasn't non-existent, but relatively quiet that series until the second half and overtime of game 5. The three pointer aside, I think he himself individually changed the momentum and course of that entire series. Amazing performance in that game by Horry. Fuck him.

exactly. people remember only his last 3-pointer...

but this was, all things considered, the greatest clutch performance in NBA history.
must remember that the spurs got RAPED in game 3, then got EVEN MORE RAPED in game 4, and going in to game 5 (also in detroit) had NO momentum to speak of and it was detroits game to lose.

and this wasnt a typical scorefestseries...this was a clash of the 2 greatest defensice titans in modern league history...every single field goal was HUGE.

during this pivotal game 5, all the spurs stars were having a bad game. even duncan. towards the end of the game it looked like detroit would take 3 straight and ..you know the rest.

then the spurs, their stars, their legacy, their chances at winning, were all saved by an aging, past-his-prime role player who, in a series where every fiedl goal was an accomplishment, managed to SINGLE-HANDEDLY score every time down and kept his team in the game all by himself, picking up the slack for the entire big 3, with miraculous score after miraculous score. that tipped-in miss and the dramatic full-extension dunk were every bit as important and actually more miraculous than his famous final 3.

tim duncan(on the guy who saved himself and his team's ass and single handedly turned the momentum of a series around against all odds by himself whislt being nothing more than an old role player) :

"that was the greatest performance ive ever been a part of"

himat
03-20-2010, 02:23 AM
That series was the last time we were true championship contenders. The years after where we kept making it to the ECF, it felt like we were fools gold. It sucked.

When LB left it put a hole in our identity. When Ben left it destroyed our identity. When Chauncey left it truly was the end, but the end started all the way back when LB left.

Btw, I still don't hate the Chauncey for AI move. We weren't going anywhere with Chauncey anyways. In hindsight it looks like a bad move, but that could have been a shake up that would get us a superstar who could possibly carry us to another title. Even Chauncey said that his great play in Denver was happening because the trade "woke him up."

What I do hate about the AI trade was the way we used all the money up on Gordon and Villanueva.

Man 05 Finals was a great Finals. I was hoping that we would meet again the next year to get revenge, but both teams lost in the Conference Finals that year if I remember correctly.

himat
03-20-2010, 02:45 AM
You can rest assured that I don't want to make out with you.

It was meant to be like when you're a kid and something bad happens to you and your mother kisses it better, but I can see how that doesn't come through... :lol

It was in response to the :flipoff and your obvious pain at the memory of Horry.

Honestly, that shot doesn't make me so angry anymore because we still won game 6 on the Spurs court. That series was so close man. I still remember being tied 57-57 at the end of 3 quarters in Game 7 after Lindsey Hunter hit a shot to tie it at the buzzer. You guys just pulled away at the end.

Its crazy how insignificant that Finals seems to be in comparison to some of the recent ones, even though it was better than all of them.

What sucks about that was I thought Dice would finally win a ring that year. I was rooting for you guys this year, but unless you guys have a miracle it doesn't look like you'll have a championship run this year.

Obstructed_View
03-20-2010, 03:05 AM
Parker did a great job on Hamilton. Shot never had a chance of going in.

Parker had a tough time with Billups in that series, but he gave Hamilton a really hard time. I didn't know he had that kind of defense in him.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-20-2010, 03:14 AM
That series was the last time we were true championship contenders. The years after where we kept making it to the ECF, it felt like we were fools gold. It sucked.

When LB left it put a hole in our identity. When Ben left it destroyed our identity. When Chauncey left it truly was the end, but the end started all the way back when LB left.

Btw, I still don't hate the Chauncey for AI move. We weren't going anywhere with Chauncey anyways. In hindsight it looks like a bad move, but that could have been a shake up that would get us a superstar who could possibly carry us to another title. Even Chauncey said that his great play in Denver was happening because the trade "woke him up."

What I do hate about the AI trade was the way we used all the money up on Gordon and Villanueva.

Man 05 Finals was a great Finals. I was hoping that we would meet again the next year to get revenge, but both teams lost in the Conference Finals that year if I remember correctly.

Totally get that and agree with your thesis. The AI trade made sense for everyone at the time, but the proceeds were wasted by the Pistons.

Joey D has a totally bipolar record as a GM - some masterstokes, some real head-scratchers.

Honestly, that shot doesn't make me so angry anymore because we still won game 6 on the Spurs court. That series was so close man. I still remember being tied 57-57 at the end of 3 quarters in Game 7 after Lindsey Hunter hit a shot to tie it at the buzzer. You guys just pulled away at the end.

Its crazy how insignificant that Finals seems to be in comparison to some of the recent ones, even though it was better than all of them.

What sucks about that was I thought Dice would finally win a ring that year. I was rooting for you guys this year, but unless you guys have a miracle it doesn't look like you'll have a championship run this year.

Actually, I think the momentum swung with Duncan's 7 pts in a few minutes (after being tied up by the Piston's front line for most of the game), then Manu's end-to-end. The score may have been tied at the break, but the game was flowing the Spur's way. It was only a matter of time after that until the Pistons cracked.

Parker had a tough time with Billups in that series, but he gave Hamilton a really hard time. I didn't know he had that kind of defense in him.

Parker's D is an enigma - at times, when the matchup is right and he's motivated, he looks like a shutdown guy, but most of the time it's various shades from average to poor.

Cry Havoc
03-20-2010, 04:17 AM
BZdik09RGJI

The announcers in that video piss me off. They were calling it like they were completely for the Pistons. I've heard him call dunks like that before, it's usually a shrill broadcast of an incredible dunk. When Horry makes the move and throws it down, there's a noticeable pause to the voice, and then he sounds almost disappointed. One of the greatest closing performances in NBA history and they make it sound like a regular season game, as if they're saddened by the result.

z0sa
03-20-2010, 04:38 AM
Horry moved from all-time legendary role player status to simply all-time legend status with that performance IMO.. he didn't just influence the direction of that series, he completely turned it around for the Spurs.

The Pistons had all the momentum and that means everything. The wins in Games 1 and 2 were long gone, forgotten. I remember those slow moving moments before Father's Day very clearly, like it was yesterday. All I could think about before Game 5 was the Spurs putting up a fight instead of going down like wusses. I remember the look on Tim's and Pop's face as they watched the team ultimately lose by 30+ in Game 4. It looked like the Pistons were just that good.

And Game 5 was close - so close. Every play counted, every second, and how many of those seconds belonged to Horry alone?

One could argue Horry did more than any other player not named Tony or Manu or David in helping Tim secure his place in history, and that performance might be evidence enough.

ezau
03-20-2010, 05:01 AM

I know that you might now want to talk about this, but the AI trade doesn't have to happen if the Pistons didn't draft Darko. Oh well

ezau
03-20-2010, 05:03 AM
Was that 5 years already? I share the sentiment of some posters in here that this game felt like it was played yesterday.

Obstructed_View
03-20-2010, 02:31 PM
The announcers in that video piss me off. They were calling it like they were completely for the Pistons. I've heard him call dunks like that before, it's usually a shrill broadcast of an incredible dunk. When Horry makes the move and throws it down, there's a noticeable pause to the voice, and then he sounds almost disappointed. One of the greatest closing performances in NBA history and they make it sound like a regular season game, as if they're saddened by the result.

Hubie certainly sounds disappointed every time Horry does something great. Honestly, at the time, I was screaming so loud I didn't notice, and due to the outcome, now I don't really care. :)

Sean Cagney
03-21-2010, 12:13 AM
So bad ass, I remember that game like it was yesterday :hat

We all do bro, I will never forget that night and where I was and what I did after he threw that down and hit that three! That will stay with me for life.
Hubie certainly sounds disappointed every time Horry does something great. Honestly, at the time, I was screaming so loud I didn't notice, and due to the outcome, now I don't really care. :)

But Michaels, unbelievable this guy is off the chartsssssssssss! That will stay with me forever when he said that after that three.

Sean Cagney
03-21-2010, 12:20 AM
Horry moved from all-time legendary role player status to simply all-time legend status with that performance IMO.. he didn't just influence the direction of that series, he completely turned it around for the Spurs.

The Pistons had all the momentum and that means everything. The wins in Games 1 and 2 were long gone, forgotten. I remember those slow moving moments before Father's Day very clearly, like it was yesterday. All I could think about before Game 5 was the Spurs putting up a fight instead of going down like wusses. I remember the look on Tim's and Pop's face as they watched the team ultimately lose by 30+ in Game 4. It looked like the Pistons were just that good.

And Game 5 was close - so close. Every play counted, every second, and how many of those seconds belonged to Horry alone?

One could argue Horry did more than any other player not named Tony or Manu or David in helping Tim secure his place in history, and that performance might be evidence enough.

Yep, if we lose that game we get swept the last 4 games we played, they would win game 6 (They did anyways) IMO if we lose that game and the Spurs lose their heart and that title! We are 3-1 in the finals overall and only have three titles! I am sure if Horry did not show that day we are done and get beat by 10 plus in game 5 at Detroit! That leads to a letdown and game 6 we are done! If not Game 7! We would not beat that team two games in a row after being down 3-2, they were just that damn good.

That Pistons team was by far the best we faced in our title run, yes better than the 03 Lakers as well! That team was fierce and had it all.

poop
03-21-2010, 02:20 AM
sean cagney spot on as usual.

horry's gam 5 performance was , all things considered, the greatest step-up (clutch) performance of all time bar none.

Typical London Boy
03-21-2010, 08:02 AM
Anyone remember this?

How could you not? It was one of the greatest moments in the history of the Spurs. :wow