PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Warriors Previews

duncan228
03-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Golden State (19-48) at San Antonio (40-26) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2010031924&prov=ap)
Game info: 8:30 pm EDT Fri Mar 19, 2010
TV: CSBA, FSSW
By Santosh Venkataraman

The 1996-97 season resulted in the San Antonio Spurs getting the top pick in the draft, which they used on Tim Duncan before going on to win their first four NBA championships.

That season also started a lengthy streak of futility for the Golden State Warriors in the Alamo City.

The Spurs look to extend their home win streak over the Warriors to 24 as they try for a sixth straight victory at the AT&T Center on Friday night.

San Antonio (40-26) has not lost at home to Golden State (19-48) since Feb. 14, 1997, a season in which the Spurs finished 20-62.

Duncan had 19 points and 10 rebounds in his first career home game against the Warriors on Nov. 19, 1997, and has played in 22 games during the streak. He has 17 double-doubles in that span.

Duncan, though, endured one of the worst nights of his career in a 110-84 loss at Orlando on Wednesday. He went 1 of 10 from the field for his worst-ever shooting effort, finishing with five points and six boards as the Spurs’ four-game win streak was snapped.

“Just a bad night,” Duncan said. “Mainly myself. It kind of starts with me.”

Duncan was limited to one basket for only the third time in his career. The superstar is enduring a rough stretch, averaging 12.5 points and 40.6 percent shooting in his last eight games.

“It’s hard to play with Tim having an off night,” guard Manu Ginobili said. “I totally, blindly trust him. Just one of those games.”

San Antonio is in seventh place in the Western Conference. This uneven season could mark the end of the Spurs’ streak of 10 straight with at least 50 wins.

The Spurs have won seven in a row against the Warriors, taking both meetings this season despite Golden State’s Monta Ellis averaging 38.5 points in those games.

Ellis has averaged 22.3 points in four games since missing six with a strained lower back. He scored 28 in a 131-121 win over New Orleans on Wednesday.

The story of the game, though, was the contributions of unheralded players Anthony Tolliver and Reggie Williams. Both had career highs with Tolliver scoring 30 and Williams 22.

Tolliver and Williams were called up from the NBA Development League and helped Golden State overcome a 21-point deficit.

“Just relentless,” Tolliver said. “When we’re down and out, it seems like sometimes we play our best basketball. Sometimes that’s what it takes to wake us up.”

Another former D-League player, rookie Chris Hunter, added 17 points. He scored a season-high 22 in a 124-121 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers two nights earlier.

The Warriors have lost 11 in a row on the road since a 108-101 victory at Minnesota on Jan. 6.

Team Stat Leaders

Tim Duncan SA 18.3

Rebounds
Andris Biedrins GS 7.8
Tim Duncan SA 10.4

Assists
Stephen Curry GS 5.5
Tony Parker SA 5.7

ElNono
03-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Let's win this biatch!!!

mogrovejo
03-18-2010, 02:02 PM
I predict Scola threads will fall out out favour due to the emergence of Tolliver threads.

DesignatedT
03-18-2010, 02:11 PM
gotta win this game. thats for sure

8FOR!3
03-18-2010, 02:13 PM
This is most definitely a must win.

Muser
03-18-2010, 02:29 PM
Look for Jefferson to go beast mode.

jjktkk
03-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Look for Jefferson to go beast mode.

Jefferson has been playing well of late. Lets hope this continues.

phxspurfan
03-18-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm going to pick up Tolliver in my fantasy league b/c he will start at Warriors C and go apesh*t in this game.

crc21209
03-18-2010, 04:23 PM
They HAVE to get this one before playing that stretch of tough games...

Brazil
03-18-2010, 04:30 PM
I predict Scola threads will fall out out favour due to the emergence of Tolliver threads.

not cool dude...

I predict a good double digit win and 3 or 4 threads sucking Manu's balls, stating that spurs are a better team w/o TP + Tim limited minutes, saying that Pop knows better than poor spurs fans and finally praising our new defensive spirit.

taps
03-18-2010, 04:42 PM
bogans will play well against one of the weakest teams and pop will have renewed faith in him

TD 21
03-18-2010, 06:28 PM
The Spurs need to establish Duncan early and often in this one and not just because of his recent struggles, but also because of the lack of size and defensive commitment on the Warriors. If he plays enough minutes for it, Duncan should be able to slap a 25-30 point, 12-18 rebound, 3-4 block game on the Warriors. If he struggles against the Tolliver's and Hunter's of the world, then we'll know for certain (if it's not already obvious) that his tendonosis is acting up again.

This one needs to not only be a win, but a blowout, since this is the last sub par team the Spurs play for a while and because they'll be lucky to go 2-2 in next week's games. In some ways, if the Spurs win this, but it requires Duncan and Ginobili to go well over 30 minutes and Hill over 40 minutes, it will be a loss because even with the off day before the back to back, those three are going to need as much energy as they can muster to drag this team to at least one win against the Hawks/Thunder.

duncan228
03-18-2010, 11:30 PM
Warriors (19-48) at Spurs (40-26) (http://www.nba.com/warriors/gametime/preview_031910.html)

The Warriors will open a two-day, two-game road trip on Friday against the San Antonio Spurs. Tip-off at the AT&T Center is set for 5:30 p.m., and fans will be able to catch the action on CSN Bay Area (HD) and KNBR 680.

The Warriors will head into their brief two-game road trip riding the momentum of Wednesday’s improbable 131-121 win over the Hornets. Golden State trailed by 21 points midway through the third quarter of that contest, marking the team’s largest comeback win of the season. Monta Ellis played a key role in the win with 28 points and 13 assists, but the comeback wouldn’t have been complete without excellent play from Anthony Tolliver (career-high 30 points), Reggie Williams (18 fourth-quarter points) and Chris Hunter (17 points, 8 rebounds), all of whom played in the NBA D-League this season.

Wednesday’s contest offered further proof that Tolliver, Hunter and Williams certainly do belong in the NBA, and that trio will be relied upon to continue to produce – though not at Wednesday’s level – for the remainder of the season. The Warriors have called up five players from the D-League this season, matching the 2007-08 Spurs for the most ever call-ups in one season. While the Warriors certainly have been hurt by injuries this season, silver lining lies in the team finding several pieces that can benefit the Warriors in the near future.

Speaking of injuries, Stephen Curry missed his first game of the season on Wednesday with a sprained left ankle. Curry underwent an MRI on Thursday morning at the Palo Alto Medical Foundation. The MRI confirmed a sprain and indicated there is no fracture or stress reaction. Curry will travel with the club on the team’s two-game road trip and his status is day-to-day.

Like the Warriors, the Spurs are also without their starting point guard. Tony Parker has missed the last six games with a broken bone on his right hand, but the Spurs have won four of those contests. San Antonio currently is holding down the seventh playoff position in the Western Conference, and one can be sure that Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and company will look to improve upon that standing on Friday against the Warriors.

Warriors report for Friday's game at San Antonio Spurs (http://www.insidebayarea.com/warriors/ci_14705763)
By Marcus Thompson II
Oakland Tribune

Records: Warriors 19-48; Spurs 40-26

Warriors update: An MRI on the left ankle of rookie guard Stephen Curry was negative for a fracture. He went with the team for the two-game road trip, but his status for today is uncertain. He is day-to-day with a sprained left ankle, which he suffered before Wednesday's win over New Orleans. Curry played the first 66 games, the only Warrior to do so.

Spurs update: The Spurs have won eight of their last 10 games. They entered Thursday as the No. 7 seed, a half-game ahead of Portland. But San Antonio is just a game behind Oklahoma City for the No. 5 seed, and three games behind No. 4 Utah and home-court advantage for the first round. ... The Spurs have won 24 straight against the Warriors in San Antonio. Forward Tim Duncan is averaging just 12.5 points on 40.6 percent shooting over his last eight games.

TIMMYD!
03-18-2010, 11:45 PM
This is most definitely a must win before the challenge begins.

timtonymanu
03-19-2010, 01:32 AM
The Spurs should win and if Duncan, Manu, and RJ all have good games, people will start threads saying this team is unstoppable and they are gonna be like the 95 rockets.

FeZZy
03-19-2010, 01:40 AM
boss

silverblackfan
03-19-2010, 07:21 AM
The Spurs should win and if Duncan, Manu, and RJ all have good games, people will start threads saying this team is unstoppable and they are gonna be like the 95 rockets.

I don't know about that. The Magic game was quite a let down from the main players, except Manu and RJ.
As fans, we have to like the idea that Manu is back and RJ is being aggressive, shooting better, and getting rebounds. At least he showed some balls against the Magic too. We know what Tim and Tony bring in the playoffs, but if Manu and RJ are playing right also, there is hope.

shelshor
03-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Referee Assignments
Fri. Mar 19
Golden State @ San Antonio: Ron Garretson; Matt Boland; Derek Richardson

easy7
03-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Spurs will win by 20 points and the people who bitch will still bitch, and nothing will change, except time. :hat

smeagol
03-19-2010, 12:53 PM
not cool dude...

I predict a good double digit win and 3 or 4 threads sucking Manu's balls, stating that spurs are a better team w/o TP + Tim limited minutes, saying that Pop knows better than poor spurs fans and finally praising our new defensive spirit.

Again a little "hate" towards Manu transpires in your posts . . .

Obstructed_View
03-19-2010, 01:00 PM
bogans will play well against one of the smallest teams and pop will have renewed faith in him

Fify.

4down
03-19-2010, 02:54 PM
“It’s hard to play with Tim having an off night; I totally, blindly trust him.

Despite this rough, and certainly scary stretch of diminished performances, Tim is still the man and I know he is capable of elevating his game when needed. Even though I realize we can't reasonably expect a fantastic playoff showing, this level of trust between these two key players, and I think the team at large, still gives one reason to hope the good guys can get it together when it matters. Regular season pantybunching is for the weak.

Mixability
03-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Get the crap out of the way before the real test begins! Cmon, nut up!