PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Rivas: Why SPURS aren't a DYNASTY

biba
03-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Dynastically Unsound: Part I

Written by Jordan Rivas
Thursday, 18 March 2010 08:56

Today Project Spurs will be looking back at the Spurs' title run beginning in 1999 and ending in 2007.

Many say the Spurs' championship run places them among the great NBA dynasties, while others say the Spurs' championship run should not be considered a dynasty. To discuss this topic, Jordan Rivas and Lance Fell will present you their reasons the Spurs should be considered a dynasty and why they shouldn't.

First will be Jordan Rivas to state the reasons why the Spurs winning the NBA title in 1999, 2003, 2005, and 2007 does not place the franchise among the great NBA dynasties.

The sports world has co-opted a term it doesn't understand. Talk radio and sports columnists have independently elected to riddle themselves in conjecture. They are content – some are even enamored with the idea – to substitute logic and definition for bias and subjectivity. Not satisfied with holding command over issues of sound opinion, they have opted to ascend to lofty Adamic proportions, naming whatever they choose, however they like. With pedantic demeanor and resolve amusingly, albeit obnoxiously, built of ignorance, they have re-purposed and brazenly redefined words plucked seemingly at random from the English language, with little regard for reality in their defining process.

The odd adoption, and ridiculous re-imagining, of the word 'dynasty' within the sports world holds no more validity than if I chose to select the noun 'cupcake', and assert that its definition is someone who wears a funny hat, but only on Sundays.

Sports media and clever marketing have led us to believe that the term "dynasty" is a malleable thing, that its definition is subject to debate and susceptible to change at the whim of whichever ESPN commentator holds the most clout or whichever blogger has the highest view count.

As the Zhou dynasty clearly demonstrates, a true dynasty, historically speaking, leaves itself no room to be questioned.

Read this article:

http://projectspurs.com/2010-articles/march/dynastically-unsound.html

Big P
03-18-2010, 02:46 PM
who?

biba
03-18-2010, 02:48 PM
A Dynasty in San Antonio: Part II

Written by Lance Fell
Thursday, 18 March 2010 12:35

Earlier today, Jordan Rivas, presented his reasons why the Spurs title run in 1999, 2003, 2005, and 2007 does not place the franchise among the great NBA dynasties.

Next is Lance Fell who will give his reasons why the Spurs should be considered a dynasty after winning the title four times since 1999.

Throughout time, there have been great dynasties all over the world. From 1550 thru 1292 B.C. the 18th Dynastyof Egypt helped usher in a new era of economic prosperity for the Egyptian people. Perhaps the most famous of all Egyptian Pharaohs, Tutankhamen became ruler of Egypt during the 18thdyansty at the age of nine, and died before his twentieth birthday. The Argead Dynasty was another great dynasty that ruled all of the Greek Empire from 700 to 310 B.C. Lead by none other then Alexander the Great, The Argead Dynasty was able to expand all the way from Greece to India, and conquer one of the greatest empires of all time, The Persian Empire. The last great Chinese Dynasty, the Qing Dynasty, lasted from 1644 all the way till 1912.

But what is a dynasty?

Read this article:

http://projectspurs.com/2010-articles/march/a-dynasty-in-san-antonio.html

coyotes_geek
03-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Probably not the best of seasons to fire up the dynasty talk......................

DesignatedT
03-18-2010, 02:50 PM
cool.

DesignatedT
03-18-2010, 02:50 PM
ok.

TIMMYD!
03-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Who gives a fuck what that chode blaster says?

bringbackmario
03-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Dude...............................really!

tp2021
03-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Cool story, bro

crc21209
03-18-2010, 04:17 PM
So.....who is this guy again? :lol

Sisk
03-18-2010, 04:22 PM
fail

alchemist
03-18-2010, 04:24 PM
So.....who is this guy again? :lol
spurfan

dbestpro
03-18-2010, 04:31 PM
Seems to be a whos who list of writers i've never hear of. I value the opinions of most veteran posters in this forum more.

ElNono
03-18-2010, 04:59 PM
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/thumb/8/8c/Cool_story_Wayne.jpg/450px-Cool_story_Wayne.jpg

SpursNextRomanEmpire
03-18-2010, 05:04 PM
rofl who is dis fool?

mad0214
03-18-2010, 05:22 PM
1st of all, thanks biba for posting that and thank everyone for positive comments. We appreciate it.

But wow, lots of hate in here. You may not like his opinion but is the name calling really necessary? Can't we leave that for the kids. If you are a kid, my apologies, but I've known several of the posters here at ST and they've been able to be fanatics without resulting to name-calling and hating.

This is going to sound very Rodney King-ish, but I've never understood the need to tear other Spurs fans down. Aren't we all Spurs fans? Don't we all share that passion? Why don't we spend our time and efforts trashing Mavs and Lakers fans instead of our own.

It's funny because people will ask me from time to time if I hate 48MOH and PTR because they are "competitors" and the answer is no. I know most of the writers at both sites very well and they are good people and we also share the same passions, spurs basketball and blogging, so it would be a shame if something as silly as competition, when the internet is big enough for us all would be something that keeps us from being friendly.

For anyone who wants to know who Jordan Rivas is, he's been a professional freelance writer for the last six years, he's written for Hoopsworld and several gaming magazines and I'm proud to have him on my staff. He was also asked to take this POV for this series so don't beat him up too much.

@dbestpro I'm sure you never heard of several writers before they started writing for their sites/publications. I don't blame you for valuing the opinions of the veteran posters here. I value the opinions of several posters here as well, especially LJ's, but I'm also very proud of my staff and the work they produce on a consistent basis.

Anyway, I apologize if this comes across as spam. Feel free to delete in that case. And again, thanks for reading, whether you like or dislike it.

PDXSpursFan
03-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Who cares if it is called a dynasty or not? The facts are that the Spurs won it all in 1999, 2003, 2005, and 2007

rascal
03-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Seems to be a whos who list of writers i've never hear of. I value the opinions of most veteran posters in this forum more.

What if he said the spurs were the greatest team ever. Would you value his opinion then?

Who cares one way or another. I get a laugh out of the sensitive fans that get upset about this enough to post negative things about the writer.

Big P
03-18-2010, 05:50 PM
Who cares if it is called a dynasty or not? The facts are that the Spurs won it all in 1999, 2003, 2005, and 2007

This

benefactor
03-18-2010, 06:01 PM
This is my first response to anyone who talks about the Spurs not being a dynasty or not winning back to back titles. Tim Duncan and company put four trophies in the case that will always be there...no matter how long it took to get them. Many die hard fans would sacrifice their soul just to have the feeling that Spurs fans have had four times.

FeZZy
03-18-2010, 08:00 PM
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u246/chileno_homes/baseline_bumming.jpg

Is this the faggot?

http://jordanrivas.com/

Man In Black
03-18-2010, 08:06 PM
I've already disproved his theory on physics and dynasties. It was easy as pie :)

eyeh8u
03-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Frf

Sean Cagney
03-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Who the fukk is he? Why do I care what he says?

SpursWoman
03-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Didn't these kind of articles peter out about 2 years ago? Someone is a little late to the dance. :lol

he's written for Hoopsworld

lol

L.I.T
03-19-2010, 01:09 AM
1st of all, thanks biba for posting that and thank everyone for positive comments. We appreciate it.

But wow, lots of hate in here. You may not like his opinion but is the name calling really necessary? Can't we leave that for the kids. If you are a kid, my apologies, but I've known several of the posters here at ST and they've been able to be fanatics without resulting to name-calling and hating.

So, you only appreciate positive comments. Gotcha. Guess what? Posting on the interwebz puts you and your opinion out there for anyone to comment on. Don't like? Don't post it. Granted name-calling may not be necessary, but is coming in calling people 'kids' and getting on the proverbial high horse necessary either?

This is going to sound very Rodney King-ish, but I've never understood the need to tear other Spurs fans down. Aren't we all Spurs fans? Don't we all share that passion? Why don't we spend our time and efforts trashing Mavs and Lakers fans instead of our own.

So, it's ok to name-call, hate and trash other fans just not Spurs fans who agree with your opinions on the team?

It's funny because people will ask me from time to time if I hate 48MOH and PTR because they are "competitors" and the answer is no. I know most of the writers at both sites very well and they are good people and we also share the same passions, spurs basketball and blogging, so it would be a shame if something as silly as competition, when the internet is big enough for us all would be something that keeps us from being friendly.

:whine

For anyone who wants to know who Jordan Rivas is, he's been a professional freelance writer for the last six years, he's written for Hoopsworld and several gaming magazines and I'm proud to have him on my staff. He was also asked to take this POV for this series so don't beat him up too much.

Hoopsworld and gaming magazines. Brilliant. If he did not want to get beat up for his opinion he shouldn't have written it. Again, while the name-calling may be unnecessary, the whining is as well. I've seen a lot of critiques of 48MoH in here and haven't seen them playing the respect card. A couple of posters took spursdotcom to task for asking what they considered self-serving and softball questions of Pop. He came in and defended himself and did not whine about respect.

@dbestpro I'm sure you never heard of several writers before they started writing for their sites/publications. I don't blame you for valuing the opinions of the veteran posters here. I value the opinions of several posters here as well, especially LJ's, but I'm also very proud of my staff and the work they produce on a consistent basis.

Congratulations. I am sure you and your staff work very hard and I hope you are successful.

Anyway, I apologize if this comes across as spam. Feel free to delete in that case. And again, thanks for reading, whether you like or dislike it.

The reason why I like Spurstalk is because the censuring of opposing opinions is rarely done. Dissent is respected, even if it veers into the realm of personal attacks. While those types of attacks are unwarranted they are part in parcel with having very strong feelings regarding the Spurs. However, the quickest way to lose respect is to complain about a lack of respect.

I am sure your writers are top-notch and all that, but if we as a fanbase can ridicule national writers like John Hollinger and Charley Rosen and noted bloggers with widespread fanbases like Bill Simmons, why would you be surprised at the ST community going after one of your writers?

Jason R
03-19-2010, 01:22 AM
So, you only appreciate positive comments. Gotcha. Guess what? Posting on the interwebz puts you and your opinion out there for anyone to comment on. Don't like? Don't post it. Granted name-calling may not be necessary, but is coming in calling people 'kids' and getting on the proverbial high horse necessary either?

So, it's ok to name-call, hate and trash other fans just not Spurs fans who agree with your opinions on the team?

:whine

Hoopsworld and gaming magazines. Brilliant. If he did not want to get beat up for his opinion he shouldn't have written it. Again, while the name-calling may be unnecessary, the whining is as well. I've seen a lot of critiques of 48MoH in here and haven't seen them playing the respect card. A couple of posters took spursdotcom to task for asking what they considered self-serving and softball questions of Pop. He came in and defended himself and did not whine about respect.

Congratulations. I am sure you and your staff work very hard and I hope you are successful.

The reason why I like Spurstalk is because the censuring of opposing opinions is rarely done. Dissent is respected, even if it veers into the realm of personal attacks. While those types of attacks are unwarranted they are part in parcel with having very strong feelings regarding the Spurs. However, the quickest way to lose respect is to complain about a lack of respect.

I am sure your writers are top-notch and all that, but if we as a fanbase can ridicule national writers like John Hollinger and Charley Rosen and noted bloggers with widespread fanbases like Bill Simmons, why would you be surprised at the ST community going after one of your writers?

Spurstalk is cool. It's full of idiots who can't formulate coherent sentences, spell words out correctly or formulate arguments without acting like 10 year olds... but it's cool.

benefactor
03-19-2010, 04:28 AM
lol
lol

smeagol
03-19-2010, 08:40 AM
Spurstalk is cool. It's full of idiots who can't formulate coherent sentences, spell words out correctly or formulate arguments without acting like 10 year olds... but it's cool.

How'd you dare say that with such quality posters as ducks . . . !

Big P
03-19-2010, 10:31 AM

Its a message board, not English class.

15 and counting
03-19-2010, 12:42 PM
This guy is a typical east coast chode a moron. I am a Laker fan and I personally think the Spurs are/were a dynasty. They are a great team and if not for the Lakers-Spurs knocking each other out during a couple of playoff match ups, the Spurs could have easily had two more champions. I think that team of the decade is still up for grabs depending what Spurs/Lakers do this year but to say Spurs not a dynasty is plain stupid.
Good day fellas and may the best team win the "team of the decade" crown regardless of what this clown thinks. :toast

smeagol
03-19-2010, 12:55 PM

When it comes to idiots, SR is fucking full of them. Don't you forget that . . .

SnakeBoy
03-19-2010, 01:05 PM

Exactly! What was it Rodney King said? Something like "Can't we get along so we can do a better job of attacking them".

duhoh
03-19-2010, 02:15 PM
When it comes to idiots, SR is fucking full of them. Don't you forget that . . .

SR made me rage.

da_suns_fan
03-19-2010, 03:06 PM
who?

The San Antonio Spurs.

Theyre a basketball team in the NBA.

z0sa
03-19-2010, 03:35 PM
4 titles, WGAF

Harry Callahan
03-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Only the Bulls, Lakers and Celtics have more NBA titles.

Larry Bird's Celtics won only 3 titles (none B2B). Yet they get a bunch of accolades.

I think the SASs don't need the affirmation of a nerd. The entire league has had to account for the Spurs since Tim Duncan arrived. Period. End of story.

Gervin44Silas13
03-22-2010, 07:26 AM
This guy has to be a Lakers, Celtics, or your traditional Bulls fan...

The 1980's Celtics NEVER went back to back...yet they are considered a Dynasty by many... after they got 2nd place finishes by the Lakers in the Finals..

Bottom line the Spurs NEVER lost in the Finals that's why they are the team of the decade!

Rivas why don't you write a article on how great the Bills were in the 1990's after losing 4 consecutive Super Bowls. I bet you consider them a dynasty too huh?

jimo2305
03-22-2010, 01:05 PM
In these matters, and in the larger issue of debate at hand, I eagerly await your rebuttals.

hey he asked for it :p:.. the rebuttals on here arent' even bad..

i want mr. rivas to look at me with a straight face and say the spurs weren't a dominant team over the past decade..

what does dynasty even mean to you?

Dynasty:
A family or group that maintains power for several generations: a political dynasty controlling the state.

in the sports world.. a generation = 1 season

not only did we win 4 championships in 10 years.. we were ultra competitive making the playoffs each of those 10 years and having amongst the best win/loss records.. this past year was our worst where we got ousted 4 - 1 in the first round..

lol this is too easy.. my staff on my site has quality writers btw :lol but on the real.. as a member of the media don't expect to not get flamed by stuff you publish to the general public.. especially when what you write has to deal with discrediting a team that has a large fanbase

aksyunstar
03-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Out with the old, in with a new definition of 'dynasty'
By Vincent Thomas, for NBA.com
Posted Apr 29 2009 12:29PM
(http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/vince_thomas/04/28/dynasties.20090428/)Enough said.:flag:

Man In Black
03-22-2010, 04:12 PM
I asked for his response, but alas...I think he's gone Harvey Two-Faced. He can't support me, because then he'd be wrong...but he knows I'm right.