PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets may keep White

ducks
09-17-2004, 11:48 AM
URL: www.rockymountainnews.com...51,00.html (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nuggets/article/0,1299,DRMN_20_3188851,00.html)
White free after 10 days in jail

Former Nugget still faces hearing

By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News
September 17, 2004

Rodney White is out of jail. But he must wear an electronic monitor for at least a week.
Bill Meeks, spokesman for the Washington Department of Corrections, said Thursday the former Denver Nuggets forward, charged with carrying a pistol without a permit during an alleged Sept. 5 incident in the district, was released Wednesday after 10 days behind bars.
The Rocky Mountain News reported Thursday that White, a free agent who played the past two seasons with the Nuggets, remained in jail. Meeks said he was not made aware of White's release until Thursday.
White was released on his own recognizance. Channing Phillips, spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office, said a judge Tuesday reversed an earlier decision that White remain in jail until a status hearing Sept. 24, but he must wear a monitor at least until the hearing.

"There is a curfew imposed from 8 (p.m.) to 8 (a.m.), and he cannot go more than 30 miles from the District of Columbia," Phillips said.
Police allege White fired a gun from a car, and Channing said White could end up facing a charge for that.
Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe has not closed the door on re-signing White. He will meet today in Los Angeles with White's agent, Dan Fegan.

"I want to get the facts," said Vandeweghe, who doesn't anticipate White would be re- signed with any charges pending.

BARRY JOINS HAWKS: Jon Barry no longer was willing to wait on the Nuggets. So the free-agent shooting guard signed with Atlanta.
Barry initially wanted to return for a second season in Denver. But he got an offer he couldn't refuse in the city where he makes his off-season home.

"I was going to go to Denver by myself, but I wasn't looking forward to that," said Barry, who signed a one-year deal for an amount believed to be around $1.5 million. "(Last) weekend (the Hawks) kind of upped the ante a little bit. I felt it was best to stay home with my kids, my wife."
Barry, a former Georgia Tech player, had enrolled his two children in Atlanta schools after not getting an offer from the Nuggets by early August. Barry continued to wait on the Nuggets until being swayed by Atlanta's offer.The Nuggets had an interest in re-signing Barry, probably for the $1.1 million minimum, but didn't want to immediately cut into their $2.3 million of salary-cap room. Vandeweghe, whose team needs a backup shooting guard, said it's "understandable" Barry would go to the Hawks for family reasons.

"If Kiki had committed to him earlier, Jon would have come back," said Jon's father, Hall of Famer Rick Barry, a Colorado Springs resident. "He's the perfect kind of player for (the Nuggets). But it's their loss."

ETC.: Vandeweghe said the "door is closed" on forward Carmelo Anthony's incident Monday at New York nightclub Club Babalu. "Put anybody in that situation and they would react that way," said Vandeweghe, referring to an Internet report that a fight started after Anthony's date, MTV host LaLa, was spit at by a former boyfriend. "If somebody spit at your mother, you wouldn't hand her a napkin." Nevertheless, Anthony's mother, Mary, has told her son to be careful about situations he gets into. "Yes, it is (disappointing), very much so," she said of reading reports of the incident . . . Vandeweghe said the Nuggets, seeking a third point guard, have invited Keith McLeod to training camp. McLeod, a rookie last season with Minnesota, has been offered a nonguaranteed deal for the $620,046 minimum. McLeod, who recently worked out in Denver, also has been invited to Minnesota's camp and Utah soon could make an offer. He'll decide in a week or two . . . Fans will learn Monday how they can obtain free tickets to the Oct. 12 Nuggets scrimmage at the Pepsi Center.