PDA

View Full Version : The Next Cornerstones of the Spurs (HoopsWorld)

duncan228
03-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Lots of quotes.

The Next Cornerstones of the Spurs (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=15649)
By: Alex Kennedy

George Hill and DeJuan Blair are not your average young players. When you're part of the machine that is the San Antonio Spurs, you're forced to mature quicker than your peers.

While most players their age spend the majority of pregame joking around or messing with their phones, Hill and Blair are intently watching film of that night's opponent and preparing for the game.

But most young players aren't expected to contribute as quickly as the young Spurs.

Throughout the season, Hill has been thrust into the starting lineup 31 times and expected to produce, most recently when Tony Parker suffered a season-ending wrist break.

"My teammates have been relying on me, knowing that I can play, and putting me in positions to make things happen so the only thing I can do is give them all of the credit and just keep trying to get better and help us win ballgames," Hill told HOOPSWORLD.

Blair has started 22 games, been huge off of San Antonio's bench, and been one of the most impressive rookies from this year's class.

"We've just been getting it. Of course, George's role has been bigger than mine but we've just been playing and going hard," says Blair.

While the duo has performed well this season, it's their potential that has everyone buzzing. It's been awhile since San Antonio has had young pieces to build their future around. The team has preferred stockpiling veterans in recent years so people can't help but get excited about The Blair Hill Project.

"We've got a bond, trying to be the faces of the franchise, and just having fun," said Blair. "We've just got to keep doing it. God willing, if we're still and everyone is still healthy, we'll be pretty good in the future."

Hill acknowledged the young players have come together and hinted a youth revolution could be coming in the future.

"It was just me and [DeJuan] at first, then we added in Malik Hairston and Ian Mahinmi, that's our group. That's the core we're trying to build on for the future and, you know, turn the future into kind of a young team instead of [how it is now] when you think of the Spurs, you think of an old team," said Hill. "It's important, people are building for the future."

Having been through his inaugural season last year, Hill has tried to help Blair adjust to the league. He sees this offseason as an important time for DeJuan to improve his game. After all, it was during last offseason that Hill put in extra work before coming into this year's training camp as Gregg Popovich's favorite player.

"To have another guy like DeJuan Blair step in, who is capable of putting up big numbers as we've seen this season and playing hard, he can only get better. This summer is going to be a big summer for him, to expand his game and work hard so we can come back and win some more games next year," said Hill.

While both players have been doing well individually, both understand their accomplishments don't matter if the team isn't winning. The Spurs are currently seventh seed in the Western Conference but both Hill and Blair talked about the importance of getting hot going into the postseason.

"I think that's what you want to do," said Hill. "You want to go into the playoffs on a nice run and playing with confidence. That's all we're trying to do. Just build up and start playing well down the stretch."

"We've just got to get hot and start balling. We need to see how everyone rolls, see how we control everything. We've been doing a good job but that's the main goal for us right now," adds Blair.

The veterans may have taught the developing duo about professionalism and maturity but it could be their young energy propelling the team down the stretch and during the postseason.

"We've just brought energy, I think that's the main thing the young people have done this year. Bringing energy to the table, coming to play every day, and that's all you can really ask for from young players. We've just been giving all we have," said Hill.

"I think you need that [youth] on a veteran team. I think you need it to bring energy. We're just trying to spark the [team] and giving everyone energy off of us," said Blair in agreement.

The two future cornerstones of the franchise seem to be on the same page which is a great sign for San Antonio's future.

They also aren't lacking in confidence.

When asked if they are the next Parker and Duncan in San Antonio, Blair doesn't hesitate. "I hope," he says with a laugh. "That's what I think we can be, we'll see what happens,"

Only time will tell how good DeJuan Blair and George Hill will be but for the first time in awhile, the Spurs have young talent worth gushing over, even if they don't act their age.

Manu Ginobili Stepping Up: Gregg Popovich recently joked Manu Ginobili has been doing his best Kobe Bryant impression as of late. Ginobili is playing with a ton of intensity and has turned into the team's best player since the All-Star break.

"I'm feeling good, that's one thing I can say. My legs are back, I can attack the rim, go around players, and make some shots so I feel that the whole dimension of my game is coming and I'm trying to use it to benefit the team," Ginobili told HOOPSWORLD.

While he hasn't been able to pinpoint what exactly changed, he's glad he's finally clicking.

"I guess it's a matter of confidence, having a few good games and then my game started to develop or go back to where it was. I'm happy it happened before the season was over. After the All-Star break, I started feeling better. I had a couple good games at the beginning and I started attacking the rim better. I really didn't do anything different; I just kept playing the same way. But I think things started going the right way, something clicked, and I started doing better."

With Tony Parker sidelined, Manu Ginobili becomes even more important for the Spurs and the team will likely go only as far as their Argentine leader can take them.

Russ
03-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Lots of quotes.

The Next Cornerstones of the Spurs (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=15649)
By: Alex Kennedy

Throughout the season, Hill has been thrust into the starting lineup 31 times and expected to produce, most recently when Tony Parker suffered a season-ending wrist break.

Season-ending? Wrist break?

anonoftheinternets
03-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Season-ending? Wrist break?

regular season ending wrist break.

exstatic
03-18-2010, 09:04 PM
regular season ending wrist break.

He didn't break his wrist. It was a hairline fracture of a carpal bone in his hand.

While DeJuan and George are two of my favorite Spurs, neither one is a "cornerstone" type player. The next cornerstone of the Spurs is probably in Jr. High or maybe elementary school.

ducks
03-18-2010, 09:06 PM
tp is the cornerstone

FeZZy
03-18-2010, 09:09 PM
boo

anonoftheinternets
03-18-2010, 09:09 PM
He didn't break his wrist. It was a hairline fracture of a carpal bone in his hand.

While DeJuan and George are two of my favorite Spurs, neither one is a "cornerstone" type player. The next cornerstone of the Spurs is probably in Jr. High or maybe elementary school.

no need to split hair-lines ... :)

break = fracture, carpal tunnel = related to wrist ...

Bender
03-18-2010, 09:11 PM
what's wrong with blair, he's been kind of crappy lately

alchemist
03-18-2010, 09:20 PM
*bogans* is the cornerstone
:wakeup

jjktkk
03-18-2010, 09:28 PM
what's wrong with blair, he's been kind of crappy lately

Rookie wall. That and now every NBA team has film on Blair, so Blair will have to make adjustments. I'm not too concerned about Blair though.

MmP
03-18-2010, 10:35 PM
I feel like this team never had a chance to play with the big three at full capacity. Manu wasn't as confident when Parker was healthy, and now TP is out. Hope this team can get it together soon enough. But it's starting to feel like it's more of a miracle thing.

exstatic
03-18-2010, 11:46 PM
no need to split hair-lines ... :)

break = fracture, carpal tunnel = related to wrist ...

That's a reach to say that one broken hand bone is almost the same as a broken wrist. The latter would likely require a rehab measured in months, if not surgery to insert pins. Tony's hand bone just has that molded plastic thingie, and he'll eventually have that brace that Bonner wears, sort of a pad on the outside of the hand.

ffadicted
03-19-2010, 12:01 AM
The Blair Hill Project

I like it lol

vander
03-19-2010, 12:05 AM
Rookie wall. That and now every NBA team has film on Blair, so Blair will have to make adjustments. I'm not too concerned about Blair though.

you and the 29 other teams :lol:downspin:

ohmwrecker
03-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Lots of quotes.

"It was just me and [DeJuan] at first, then we added in Malik Hairston and Ian Mahinmi, that's our group. That's the core we're trying to build on for the future and, you know, turn the future into kind of a young team instead of [how it is now] when you think of the Spurs, you think of an old team," said Hill. "It's important, people are building for the future."

George Hill seems to think Ian is sticking around.

MoSpur
03-19-2010, 09:05 AM
That was actually a decent article from Hoopsworld. Thanks Duncan228. I like the idea of G Hill and Blair being part of the future.

SenorSpur
03-19-2010, 09:23 AM
That was actually a decent article from Hoopsworld. Thanks Duncan228. I like the idea of G Hill and Blair being part of the future.

I would like it more if I had confirmation that Ian is considered a significant part of the Spurs future, as well. We know that Malik factors heavily.

fyatuk
03-19-2010, 09:37 AM
George Hill seems to think Ian is sticking around.

lol. Maybe he's lobbying for it ;)

Could be a fun lineup though. Mahinmi-Blair-Hairston-Hill-TP (or a young wing/pg) could be a very fun run-and-gun lineup. Wouldn't win a 'ship, but fun to watch.

ohmwrecker
03-19-2010, 09:40 AM
lol. Maybe he's lobbying for it ;)

Could be a fun lineup though. Mahinmi-Blair-Hairston-Hill-TP (or a young wing/pg) could be a very fun run-and-gun lineup. Wouldn't win a 'ship, but fun to watch.

Sounds like the Nets.

TacoCabanaFajitas
03-19-2010, 09:59 AM
tp is the cornerstone

Get his dick out of your mouth you dumb motherfucker