PDA

View Full Version : Wall or Turner? Ask LeBron, Kobe

duncan228
03-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Wall or Turner? Ask LeBron, Kobe (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-afterthebuzzer031910&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Marc J. Spears

LeBron James hasn’t been shy about his affection for Kentucky freshman John Wall. He, like many scouts, has projected Wall to be the best NBA prospect in college this season. And once Wall formally announces his intentions to turn pro, James is expected to recruit the guard for his agent, Leon Rose, and his own marketing company.

But is Wall a lock to be the No. 1 pick? Not everyone thinks so, including James’ biggest rival – Kobe Bryant.

Bryant watched Evan Turner’s performance in Ohio State’s double-overtime victory over Illinois in the Big Ten tournament, and that was all he needed to see.

“He seemed like the best player in the country to me,” Bryant said of Turner. “…He looked like he has all the tools. I think Wall is a great player, but I like Turner.”

Turner, a 6-foot-7 swingman, entered the NCAA tournament averaging 20.3 points, 9.2 rebounds and 5.9 assists. Bryant likened him to Portland Trail Blazers’ All-Star guard Brandon Roy.

“He can shoot, can handle, can go left, smooth, doesn’t rush anything,” Bryant said. “He has a good pace to him.”

The Turner-Wall debate isn’t limited to Kobe-LeBron. Several NBA scouts told Yahoo! Sports they were split on which of the two college basketball stars would be selected first. One NBA executive isn’t even sure there’s a consensus 1-2, saying he preferred Wall first, then Georgia Tech freshman forward Derrick Favors second and Turner third.

“You can make a case for either [Wall or Turner],” one NBA general manager said. “Wall is the better athlete. But Turner is the better ball-handler and a more complete player. He’s a guy who can do it all. He’s more experienced, as well.”

Another GM said Turner could eventually compare to Atlanta Hawks guard Joe Johnson, at best. Wall’s upside, he said, is too much to pass on because Wall could quickly become one of the top five point guards in the league.

“If you miss on John Wall, the worst you get is Derrick Rose,” the GM said. “If you miss on Evan Turner, you get Larry Hughes.”

Another factor: Many of the teams contending for the No. 1 pick – New Jersey (Devin Harris), Minnesota (Jonny Flynn), Golden State (Stephen Curry), Washington (Gilbert Arenas), Sacramento (Tyreke Evans), Utah (Deron Williams), the Los Angeles Clippers (Baron Davis) and New Orleans (Chris Paul, Darren Collison) – already have established point guards or took a point guard in the lottery last season.

“I presume Wall will automatically go No. 1 not taking into consideration any team’s needs,” one scout said. “For example, if Utah got the top pick, could they take Wall and bench Deron Williams? No. Could they bring the No. 1 pick off the bench? No. What if New Orleans got it? They have Chris Paul and a Rookie of the Year candidate in Darren Collison. How would they fit John Wall into the equation?

“I just think it’s convenient to maybe say Wall is the most deserving of being No. 1, but to totally disregard teams’ needs is not giving an accurate read on what will go into the selection.”

The Hornets’ Paul had his own opinion: “I like both of them,” he said, “but I’ll take Evan Turner for us.”

noob cake
03-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Wall or Turner? Ask LeBron, Kobe (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-afterthebuzzer031910&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Marc J. Spears

LeBron James hasn’t been shy about his affection for Kentucky freshman John Wall. He, like many scouts, has projected Wall to be the best NBA prospect in college this season. And once Wall formally announces his intentions to turn pro, James is expected to recruit the guard for his agent, Leon Rose, and his own marketing company.

But is Wall a lock to be the No. 1 pick? Not everyone thinks so, including James’ biggest rival – Kobe Bryant.

Bryant watched Evan Turner’s performance in Ohio State’s double-overtime victory over Illinois in the Big Ten tournament, and that was all he needed to see.

“He seemed like the best player in the country to me,” Bryant said of Turner. “…He looked like he has all the tools. I think Wall is a great player, but I like Turner.”

Turner, a 6-foot-7 swingman, entered the NCAA tournament averaging 20.3 points, 9.2 rebounds and 5.9 assists. Bryant likened him to Portland Trail Blazers’ All-Star guard Brandon Roy.

“He can shoot, can handle, can go left, smooth, doesn’t rush anything,” Bryant said. “He has a good pace to him.”

The Turner-Wall debate isn’t limited to Kobe-LeBron. Several NBA scouts told Yahoo! Sports they were split on which of the two college basketball stars would be selected first. One NBA executive isn’t even sure there’s a consensus 1-2, saying he preferred Wall first, then Georgia Tech freshman forward Derrick Favors second and Turner third.

“You can make a case for either [Wall or Turner],” one NBA general manager said. “Wall is the better athlete. But Turner is the better ball-handler and a more complete player. He’s a guy who can do it all. He’s more experienced, as well.”

Another GM said Turner could eventually compare to Atlanta Hawks guard Joe Johnson, at best. Wall’s upside, he said, is too much to pass on because Wall could quickly become one of the top five point guards in the league.

“If you miss on John Wall, the worst you get is Derrick Rose,” the GM said. “If you miss on Evan Turner, you get Larry Hughes.”

Another factor: Many of the teams contending for the No. 1 pick – New Jersey (Devin Harris), Minnesota (Jonny Flynn), Golden State (Stephen Curry), Washington (Gilbert Arenas), Sacramento (Tyreke Evans), Utah (Deron Williams), the Los Angeles Clippers (Baron Davis) and New Orleans (Chris Paul, Darren Collison) – already have established point guards or took a point guard in the lottery last season.

“I presume Wall will automatically go No. 1 not taking into consideration any team’s needs,” one scout said. “For example, if Utah got the top pick, could they take Wall and bench Deron Williams? No. Could they bring the No. 1 pick off the bench? No. What if New Orleans got it? They have Chris Paul and a Rookie of the Year candidate in Darren Collison. How would they fit John Wall into the equation?

“I just think it’s convenient to maybe say Wall is the most deserving of being No. 1, but to totally disregard teams’ needs is not giving an accurate read on what will go into the selection.”

The Hornets’ Paul had his own opinion: “I like both of them,” he said, “but I’ll take Evan Turner for us.”

The lotto is rigged anyways; we'll see Stern gift Jazz the Jazz Turner.

lol at CP3 not wanting competition; but CP3 should ask for Wall. That will get him traded away, perhaps to a contender, not a pretender trying to save $$$ by dumping stars like DOWNTOWN DEVIN BROWN.

Brazil
03-19-2010, 04:14 PM
It's true that Turner makes a lot of sense too for a lot of teams

j-money24
03-19-2010, 10:42 PM
LOL CP3:lol

gaKNOW!blee
03-20-2010, 08:09 AM
Too bad Cousins should be he first pick ;-)

benefactor
03-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Taking Wall is pretty much a no-brainer for the teams that are projected to be in the lottery...unless the Knicks win it for the Jazz.

lol Knicks

8FOR!3
03-20-2010, 08:50 AM
Shit if the Knicks had a chance to get John Wall they'd take it in a heartbeat, that and Chris Bosh would increase their chances in a HUGE way of getting LeBron.

John Wall
LeBron James
Chris Bosh.

Yeah, fuck that.

baseline bum
03-20-2010, 10:10 AM
Shit if the Knicks had a chance to get John Wall they'd take it in a heartbeat, that and Chris Bosh would increase their chances in a HUGE way of getting LeBron.

John Wall
LeBron James
Chris Bosh.

Yeah, fuck that.

Yeah, but the Knicks were retarded and traded that pick to Phoenix for Marbury. The Suns were even stupider, trading that pick to Utah so that the Jazz would take Tom Gugliotta's contract off their hands. :lol

That pick is also completely unprotected. LMAO Phoenix and their complete failure with draft picks. It wasn't even like they moved Gugliotta to clear room to sign Nash either, as his contract was up at the end of 03-04.

noob cake
03-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Please for Jesus' sake, don't let Jazz get Turner or Wall.

I could really see Jazz drafting Dontas or any of the 6-7 PF in the top 10 to replace Boozer.

Fuck the Knicks, I've been rooting for them but they keep on suxxing

exstatic
03-20-2010, 05:44 PM
Wall has Marbury written all over him. He's a talented kid, don't get me wrong, but that whole throwing his coach under the bus episode should raise some long term flags on him.

Turner's a better kid with probably 95% of Wall's talent and 200% of his character.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Yeah, but the Knicks were retarded and traded that pick to Phoenix for Marbury. The Suns were even stupider, trading that pick to Utah so that the Jazz would take Tom Gugliotta's contract off their hands. :lol

That pick is also completely unprotected. LMAO Phoenix and their complete failure with draft picks. It wasn't even like they moved Gugliotta to clear room to sign Nash either, as his contract was up at the end of 03-04.

Considering Colangelo made that trade simply cause he was selling the team a few months from then and wanted to avoid paying that contract off, I wouldn't call it a complete failure with draft picks. What I would call it is proof that Phoenix fans who idolize the Colangelos like they were a couple basketball geniuses base it solely off the 2004 off season and have no idea wtf they're talking about.

himat
03-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Wall has Marbury written all over him. He's a talented kid, don't get me wrong, but that whole throwing his coach under the bus episode should raise some long term flags on him.

Turner's a better kid with probably 95% of Wall's talent and 200% of his character.

This article makes him sound like a great kid who has improved his character after a lot of stupid mistakes.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-wall120409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

We'll see how he turns out.