PDA

View Full Version : Pop has too big of a heart

MaNu4Tres
03-20-2010, 01:46 AM
For some odd reason, Pop has elected to continue giving Mason quality minutes knowing the guard is in a critical contract year.

" Money" Mase has yet to cash in on a relatively lucrative contract (in NBA terms) and is turning 30 next fall. ( Meaning his best years are soon to be behind him.)

Pop is obviously aware of this and respects Mason as a human being and a player, for Mason to be continuing recieving playing time. I have a problem with this.

Isn't the head coach suppose to be putting the best players on the floor, or playing the players that are producing? Mason is the worst defender we have and when his offense is pathetic, why the hell is he still seeing time?

This needs to change as we hit a brutal stretch run the last remaining 15 games.

Mason's numbers since January 31, 2010.

20 Games played (2 DNP's)

17.1 MPG

30-109 from the field (28%)
14-63 from 3pt land (22%)

Most notably in our last 20 games that he's played we are 13-7 and in 3 of those losses Mason saw significant time regardless of his recent performances:

31 minutes in our 109-101 loss @ Detroit (1-6 from the field; 0-3 from 3)
31 minutes in our 109-104 loss @ Houston (4-13 from the field; 3-9 from 3)
25 minutes in our 97-95 loss @ Cleveland (1-10 from the field; 0-8 from 3)

In order for this team to reach its optimum level Pop needs to have a change of heart quickly or have Blackjack smuggle some of that THC to the Popovich residence.

Even in the games where he see's 15 minutes at most, it hurts the team significantly with his offensive game going AWOL ( being that he's the worst defender on the team) . For some reason whenever Mason is in the game, Mason continues to be put in the " creator role" in the pick and roll opportunities and it drives me into a completely different rage that hasn't been tapped since Pop's stubborn NVE experiment that lasted a season too long.

Take the Magic game for instance, we are down 5 at the end of the 1st quarter and guess who is in to start the 2nd quarter?
Mason of course.

At first I don't really mind seeing that, but then as the quarter goes along I see Mason with the ball in his hands in P&R opportunities, which is basically a waste of 5-8 seconds on the shot clock because he can't create effectively and his shot has been horrendous. I'm sitting there dumbfounded on how the commentators are wondering why the offense looks stagnant during this part of the game. Six minutes later, Mason is subbed out for Jefferson and Spurs are down 14 now. Now I'm not blaming this game on Mason by no means, several other players didn't show up and it was just a total piss poor effort on both ends of the court.

All in all, I just want Pop to start putting the best players on the floor that gives this team the best chance to compete with the elite. Continuing to play a defensive liability like Mason time and time again, regardless of his shooting woes will hurt this team during this stretch run whether if its 10-25 minutes a game.

santymrc
03-20-2010, 01:58 AM
I don't think its becouse Pop loves the guy, but becouse he thinks he can somehow get out of his shooting slump.
We could use his 3's in PO and we surely need them. We wont get them tho imo. But you don't give up easly on a guy that you saw know down 3 after 3 one year ago. Eventually -after this season- you will.

FeZZy
03-20-2010, 02:13 AM
i hate him

jjktkk
03-20-2010, 03:11 AM
I don't think its becouse Pop loves the guy, but becouse he thinks he can somehow get out of his shooting slump.
We could use his 3's in PO and we surely need them. We wont get them tho imo. But you don't give up easly on a guy that you saw know down 3 after 3 one year ago. Eventually -after this season- you will.

I agree. Pop is hoping to have Mason break out of his slump. But IMO Pop won't hesitate to give Mason the hook if hes not hitting his jumpers come playoff time.

Juanobili
03-20-2010, 03:41 AM
He fuckin asked for a trade. Does he even want to be there? You don't play those players, Pop.

Slippy
03-20-2010, 04:23 AM
Take the Magic game for instance, we are down 5 at the end of the 1st quarter and guess who is in to start the 2nd quarter?
Mason of course.

At first I don't really mind seeing that, but then as the quarter goes along I see Mason with the ball in his hands in P&R opportunities, which is basically a waste of 5-8 seconds on the shot clock because he can't create effectively and his shot has been horrendous. I'm sitting there dumbfounded on how the commentators are wondering why the offense looks stagnant during this part of the game. Six minutes later, Mason is subbed out for Jefferson and Spurs are down 14 now. Now I'm not blaming this game on Mason by no means, several other players didn't show up and it was just a total piss poor effort on both ends of the court.

All in all, I just want Pop to start putting the best players on the floor that gives this team the best chance to compete with the elite. Continuing to play a defensive liability like Mason time and time again, regardless of his shooting woes will hurt this team during this stretch run whether if its 10-25 minutes a game.

That sure was a crucial period of the game. Like you said it falls on Pop though.

Mason should not be part of the rotation. More of a situational guy when outside shooting is needed and all else fails. If this situation arises you can only hope for a break-out performance out there cause right now he's stinking it up consistently.

z0sa
03-20-2010, 04:45 AM
Pop should feel sorry for Mason. Pop broke his psyche last playoffs and couldn't find minutes for him over Bogans this season.

Bruno
03-20-2010, 07:27 AM
Pop has always been really patient when a shooter was in a shooting slump. Pop stocked with Finley and Horry during very long slumps. He even gave a lot of time to Tolliver while he was throwing bricks in preseason and regular season with Spurs.

I don't buy some strange theory. Pop just considers Mason as a good shooter and, like he did with other good shooters, he doesn't bench him because he is in a shooting slump.

And Pop patience could come soon to an end. In case you haven't noticed it, Hairston is playing more and more and Mason less and less.

Spursox
03-20-2010, 07:39 AM
Mason is only a spot-up shooter. He is very limited on creating his own shots. Pop knows that if Timmy is not getting doubled then the other guys need to create their own shots...

wildbill2u
03-20-2010, 07:46 AM
Mason played a lot last year and his weaknesses were exposed. Bad D, bad handle, no PG skillls, etc. Too many folks saw a couple of last second 3s and hailed him as our next savior.

That being said, I don't remember a player whose game has deteriorated as badly from one season to the next. He was barely adequate last year, but this year he has lowered the bar.

Pop is trying to get some use out of him by giving him a chance to break out of the horrible shooting slump, but does anyone see him here next year? And if so, why?

BillMc
03-20-2010, 07:54 AM
Mason played a lot last year and his weaknesses were exposed. Bad D, bad handle, no PG skillls, etc. Too many folks saw a couple of last second 3s and hailed him as our next savior.

That being said, I don't remember a player whose game has deteriorated as badly from one season to the next. He was barely adequate last year, but this year he has lowered the bar.

Pop is trying to get some use out of him by giving him a chance to break out of the horrible shooting slump, but does anyone see him here next year? And if so, why?

He won't be here for the combo of bad play and the trade demand. The only way he might even be here is if this slump has lowered his value to the veteran minimum and Pop signs him as a bargain because he knows the system. The chance of this is very, very small though. He's gone.

Mel_13
03-20-2010, 08:05 AM

He won't be here for the combo of bad play and the trade demand. The only way he might even be here is if this slump has lowered his value to the veteran minimum and Pop signs him as a bargain because he knows the system. The chance of this is very, very small though. He's gone.

I agree. Between his play and the trade request, his days as a Spur are numbered. Even if his value falls to the vet min, I'd still rather start developing a Dleaguer or a second round pick.

Pop's trying to get something out of him, but if TP were available, Mason would be getting the DNP-CDs that Fin was getting before he left.

In a 147-116 game, it's really hard for one player to stand out for a poor performance on both ends of the court, but RMJ managed to pull it off last night.

EricB
03-20-2010, 08:25 AM
Can't get out of a slump by sitting on the bench. That being said I'd rather hairston get the minutes...

TJastal
03-20-2010, 08:27 AM
Something is defenitely "off" on Roger's delivery, he never looks like he's shooting comfortably anymore, its always off balance and rushed.

TJastal
03-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Can't get out of a slump by sitting on the bench. That being said I'd rather hairston get the minutes...

Hairston is one of the best "take it to the hole" types in the league right now as far as I'm concerned. Only Lebron and Wade right now are better IMO.

He is just so fluid and quick its almost impossible for his defender to stay in front of him and then the explosiveness once he's at the rim makes it almost impossible for the shotblockers to challenge him.

BillMc
03-20-2010, 08:38 AM

Yeah, I'd like to see hairston get all Mason's minutes.

BillMc
03-20-2010, 08:41 AM
I am not one of the people with the "Ian fetish." But if it came down to re-signing Ian or Roger I'd go for Ian.

Or just give the extra cash to Manu to keep him here! :)

Cane
03-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Mason will be lucky if he's even in the NBA next season.

exstatic
03-20-2010, 10:19 AM
I think Pop was trying to get him going, but now is only using him to eat minutes in this heavy schedule.

Mason is only a spot-up shooter. He is very limited on creating his own shots. Pop knows that if Timmy is not getting doubled then the other guys need to create their own shots...

I have to argue with this assessment. Roger RARELY shoots from a spot up position. While he is a jumpshooter, he's much better off the "bounce", or shooting while dribbling and moving. It's funny that another good shooter who didn't do well spotting up crashed and burned here but succeeded after he left: Hedo.

Spurs Brazil
03-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Mason sucks. Spurs should have traded him after his pathetic playoffs last season.

He can't step on the floor for a single second. Remember the Miami game, he went in and the Heat made that huge run

exstatic
03-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Mason sucks. Spurs should have traded him after his pathetic playoffs last season.

He can't step on the floor for a single second. Remember the Miami game, he went in and the Heat made that huge run

Unfortunately, with Tony injured, and the schedule unfolding as it is, we need guards to eat minutes. Mase is probably going to have to play about 15 a night.

Spursfan 87
03-20-2010, 12:00 PM

:tu

weebo
03-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Pop has always been really patient when a shooter was in a shooting slump. Pop stocked with Finley and Horry during very long slumps. He even gave a lot of time to Tolliver while he was throwing bricks in preseason and regular season with Spurs.

I don't buy some strange theory. Pop just considers Mason as a good shooter and, like he did with other good shooters, he doesn't bench him because he is in a shooting slump.

And Pop patience could come soon to an end. In case you haven't noticed it, Hairston is playing more and more and Mason less and less.

100% true.

weebo
03-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Hairston is one of the best "take it to the hole" types in the league right now as far as I'm concerned. Only Lebron and Wade right now are better IMO.

He is just so fluid and quick its almost impossible for his defender to stay in front of him and then the explosiveness once he's at the rim makes it almost impossible for the shotblockers to challenge him.

Comparing Hariston to Lebron and Dwade???
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

SpursRulez4eVeR
03-20-2010, 12:22 PM

:lol:lmao:rollin:lol:lmao:rollin

TIMMYD!
03-20-2010, 12:31 PM

Yeah, this is pretty :lol worthy.

wut
03-20-2010, 12:58 PM
This was all Michael Finley's fault. If Finley was gone before the season, Mason would have started at the opener and probably would be a decent player today. But Pop loved Finley so much that he started him instead. Yeah I know it's better for Finley to use the player option than opting out so it's mainly the front office's fault for giving him that deal.

I want 08-09 Mason back but unfortunately we're most likely stuck with this poor man's version. And tbh, I dont care about him getting better anymore.

good point. :wakeup

TD 21
03-20-2010, 07:34 PM

That's exactly it. Pop see's Mason as a 40% 3 point shooter (even though he's shot at or above that mark just once in his career and only approached it one other time, though admittedly the sample size isn't substantial), knows the Spurs are somewhat devoid of three point shooting, on top of this he knows with Parker injured, the Spurs could use some more scoring/ball handling at the guard position and finally, he favors veterans.

So he'll keep calling on Mason from time to time, hoping that will be the game he breaks out, catches fire from deep and takes some of the pressure off of and allows him to limit the minutes of Ginobili and to a lesser extent, Hill to create/finish virtually everything at the guard position.

As witnessed recently though, his patience with Mason is wearing thin and with the Spurs wanting to get more minutes for Hairston and him generally playing well when called upon, Mason is getting the call less and less.

What a weird two years its' been for Mason with the Spurs, hasn't it been? He clearly has the character/personality of a Spur, seemed like a good fit (and was a good fit last season) and with the way he came out firing in the first half of last season with all of the game winners, he seemed destined for a long stay with the Spurs. Except his shooting progressively got worse as the season wore on (predictable, considering defenses began to key on him as the Spurs third scorer with Ginobili down, he played far more minutes than he ever had in a single season in the NBA, so his legs probably got heavy and not many players in the league shoot 45% from three, particularly ones who take a lot of their shots off the dribble, so regression to the mean was bound to come into play), Pop quickly lost faith in him in the playoffs and he never seemed to get un-tracked and back into Pop's good graces after that. Many had him penciled in as the Spurs starting shooting guard coming into training camp, but two things went against him in this regard: 1) Pop quickly realized that Jefferson isn't anything close to being a stopper and 2) Pop has (had?) a love affair with Finley, so Bogans was quickly summoned to fill the stopper role and Hill had improved so vastly that they, along with Jefferson and Ginobili, were bound to fill the majority of minutes on the wings. Go back a year ago, did anyone think a year later Mason wouldn't be in the rotation, would have asked to be traded at the trade deadline and would be guaranteed to be gone after this season? Unexpected to say the least.

z0sa
03-20-2010, 08:46 PM

There's little hope for humanity.

HarlemHeat37
03-20-2010, 08:52 PM
LOL, wow..I consider myself very biased to Hairston since I was one of the originators, but that's one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever read..I think TJastal is a good poster btw, so I'm not attacking him, but come on son..

Cane
03-20-2010, 09:42 PM

And you go around calling other people idiots? :toast

ShoogarBear
03-20-2010, 10:52 PM
1. LeBron James
2. Dwyane Wade
3. Malik Hairston?

Sweet.

TJastal
03-20-2010, 10:58 PM
:rolleyes

I simply sythensized and compared one aspect of Hairston's game to some of the best in the league, that being the ability to drive and finish. It's one skill out of dozens of skills that make up a player's net worth. If you still think this means "Hairston=Lebron" then you need to go retake a remedial math course.

Point being he has one great skill but needs to develop the rest of his game in order to ascend to the next level. Right now his game is similar to say, Tony Allen of the celtics. If he can learn to shoot the ball with some range and add some ballhandling and playmaking skills he has a good chance to be much better than Tony Allen.

Is that comparison a little easier for people to fathom without jumping off the nearest cliff?

Cant_Be_Faded
03-20-2010, 11:00 PM
his heart is larcenous

anakha
03-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Look at me try to rationalize calling Hairston the third best slasher in the league.

TJastal
03-21-2010, 12:28 AM
Look at me try to rationalize calling Hairston the third best slasher in the league.

Is it really that unfathomable that he could in the discussion among the best in the league? Hell, look at Matt Bonner last year, he was one of the best 3 pt shooters in the league does that mean he was overall a better center than Dwight Howard?

anakha
03-21-2010, 07:38 AM
Is it really that unfathomable that he could in the discussion among the best in the league? Hell, look at Matt Bonner last year, he was one of the best 3 pt shooters in the league does that mean he was overall a better center than Dwight Howard?

At best, Hairston's the third best slasher on his own team, behind Parker and Ginobili.

The only way your reasoning could even be remotely correct is if your definition of 'drive and finish' only includes dunking, and that's cherry-picking reasoning.

MaNu4Tres
03-25-2010, 02:21 AM
Do I need to fucking say more???

Sorry for my french Kori and L.J but Mason seeing the floor the last 12 minutes, guarding Kobe might I add, is fucking idiotic. WOW pop

HarlemHeat37
03-25-2010, 02:48 AM
How exactly did Mason get his spot in the rotation back anyways?..

MaNu4Tres
03-25-2010, 02:54 AM
How exactly did Mason get his spot in the rotation back anyways?..

I love you Harlem ..but read the OP...

can't you see why?

santymrc
03-25-2010, 02:58 AM
I love you Harlem ..but read the OP...

can't you see why?

The OP is wrong. There's no love in competition. Stupidity and Intelligence rules them.

And Pop is right now being stupid.

MaNu4Tres
03-25-2010, 03:04 AM
The OP is wrong. There's no love in competition. Stupidity and Intelligence rules them.

And Pop is right now being stupid.

I didn't mean " Pop is only playing Mason because he loves him"...The title of the OP was a just a title nothing more. It wasn't promoting Pop's man crush for " Money" Mase.

The whole reason behind the thread was Pop was still calling his name after a LONG stretch of horrible performances. It's stupid to say the least and idiotic.

santymrc
03-25-2010, 03:06 AM
I didn't mean " Pop is only playing Mason because he loves him"...The title of the OP was a just a title nothing more. It wasn't promoting Pop's man crush for " Money" Mase.

The whole reason behind the thread was Pop was still calling his name after a LONG stretch of horrible performances. It's stupid to say the least and idiotic.

I know :)

MaNu4Tres
04-14-2010, 10:40 PM

I wish this was the truth.

HarlemHeat37
04-14-2010, 10:42 PM
My hope comes from Pop holding out Hairston tonight, despite Hairston being available to play..that tells me he's at least considering him in the playoffs..

Temple showed some good things again tonight too, he must be considered..

I really, really hope they're both ahead of Mason in the playoffs..I don't care which one, Mason needs to be out..

Mason is going to have an extremely tough series having to defend all that penetration from Dallas' swings..Kidd, Terry, Barea, Butler and Beaubois-tomatic(hopefully he doesn't play)..I feel a lot more comfortable with Temple's length and Hairston's athleticism, as opposed to Mason's nothing..

timtonymanu
04-14-2010, 10:44 PM
Hairston has a sprained ankle so thats why he was inactive tonight.

HarlemHeat37
04-14-2010, 10:46 PM
I know, but they said he could have played according to the game blog(I missed the first quarter, so I don't know everything that was said, so can't speak for myself here)..

Either way, fuck Mason..

Amuseddaysleeper
04-14-2010, 10:51 PM
I hope to god Mason doesn't turn into Finley i.e. player that Pop plays way way too many minutes.

I would rather have Bonner at PG for 15 minutes than to see even 10 min. of Mason.

Stringer_Bell
04-14-2010, 10:51 PM
Mason is going to have an extremely tough series having to defend all that penetration from Dallas' guards..I feel a lot more comfortable with Temple's length and Hairston's athleticism, as opposed to Mason's nothing..

Pop MUST learn from last season, Mason was completely taken out of it and this season (especially with his slump and "trade me" attitude) I don't want to see him play a single minute unless the Spurs are up by 20 and there's 2 minutes left to play. Knowing Mason, he'll make one shot then let off 3-4 cuz he's "feeling it" which turn into fast break points or momentum changing plays for the Mavs or anyone else we face in the playoffs.

Truthfully, Mason doesn't seem like a useful weapon against anyone. Bench him, wish him well next season!

TJastal
04-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Well you guys better get used to Roger Mason in the playoffs. Mason logged 37 minutes tonight (most of any spur not named Dejuan Blair), so its safe to assume he'll be a major part of the rotation.

crc21209
04-14-2010, 11:22 PM
My hope comes from Pop holding out Hairston tonight, despite Hairston being available to play..that tells me he's at least considering him in the playoffs..

Temple showed some good things again tonight too, he must be considered..

I really, really hope they're both ahead of Mason in the playoffs..I don't care which one, Mason needs to be out..

Mason is going to have an extremely tough series having to defend all that penetration from Dallas' swings..Kidd, Terry, Barea, Butler and Beaubois-tomatic(hopefully he doesn't play)..I feel a lot more comfortable with Temple's length and Hairston's athleticism, as opposed to Mason's nothing..

+1....If Pop has any brains...he will give all of Mason's minutes in the post-season to Temple/Hairston..

DesignatedT
mason fucking sucks. i would rather temple,bogans get any sort of minutes he is getting.

HarlemHeat37
Oh, I don't doubt that he'll play a serious role, I just hope he doesn't..hopefully your man steps up TJ..

crc21209
Well you guys better get used to Roger Mason in the playoffs. Mason logged 37 minutes tonight (most of any spur not named Dejuan Blair), so its safe to assume he'll be a major part of the rotation.

Of course he logged 37 minutes tonight...Hill and Manu were missing, what did you expect?

MaNu4Tres
04-14-2010, 11:31 PM
I just hope Pop realizes Mason is the least productive Spur before its too late.

I won't take a early season exit very well if we play Mason a vital 15-20 minutes, going into a 0-2 hole by very slim margins of defeat.

Spurs need the most efficient 48 minutes possible and playing Mason doesn't correlate with that philosophy.

Blackjack
04-14-2010, 11:33 PM
When Temple debuted with the Spurs I mentioned in the Game Blog that I'd be down for him taking Mason's spot. And while it was somewhat facetious and more of an indictment on Mason's play ... I'm thinking I was on to something.

Mason, for all intent and purposes, looks to have checked out. There is absolutely nothing inspiring about his play; the guy's jacking up shots just to jack up shots.

Mason's got one real, good skill that could be useful (could being the operative word) but since that skill has gone in the toilet (after a few misses), there's nothing he's got that's going to contribute to the win column.

I Hope Hairston's ready physically and both he and Temple find a way to steal minutes from 'Money' (as in what he's stealing from Holt).

TJastal
04-14-2010, 11:48 PM
Oh, I don't doubt that he'll play a serious role, I just hope he doesn't..hopefully your man steps up TJ..

Well I wouldn't expect much, and if he sucks alot of that blame can be placed on Pop. Ego's aside and not even factored in, Roger's role has been changing all year long and even in the last game Pop still had to monkey around with him. Which has pretty much been par for the course all year long.

This time Roger starts to look comfortable playing with Parker kicking out to him in the 2nd unit in the timberwolves' game so what does Pop do?

Moves him to the starting lineup and moves Temple to the bench. Why start Temple for weeks then change everything up in the last game of the season?

Like I said I'm not counting on anything from Roger because who knows what role Pop is going to have him playing in the playoffs.

TJastal
04-14-2010, 11:50 PM
I gotta say, as a fan, it's extremely dissappointing to get all excited about good chemistry being created (between Parker and Mason in the 2nd unit) then watch the coach douse that chemistry with gasoline and set it ablaze in the last game of the season no less.

TJastal
04-14-2010, 11:53 PM
I'd love to know why Pop starts Roger Mason when you have been using Garret Temple for weeks as a starter and Keith Bogans for months before that?

Is it Tuesday?... nope Wednesday, guess that doesn't explain it..

mingus
04-14-2010, 11:56 PM
Well I wouldn't expect much, and if he sucks alot of that blame can be placed on Pop. Ego's aside and not even factored in, Roger's role has been changing all year long and even in the last game Pop still had to monkey around with him. Which has pretty much been par for the course all year long.

This time Roger starts to look comfortable playing with Parker kicking out to him in the 2nd unit in the timberwolves' game so what does Pop do?

Moves him to the starting lineup and moves Temple to the bench. Why start Temple for weeks then change everything up in the last game of the season?

Like I said I'm not counting on anything from Roger because who knows what role Pop is going to have him playing in the playoffs.

20 games ago i would have said that the blame was on Pop, but he's been getting more than enough time to try and re-gain his confidence, but he's just mentally fragile in that regard and can't do it. he's had his chance, and he's blown it. actually, he blew it 10 games ago. but Pop has stuck with him and despite that he still hasn't been able to pull it together.

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 04:10 AM

Like I said I'm not counting on anything from Roger because who knows what role Pop is going to have him playing in the playoffs.Of course Temple is a Mason replacement. Mason isn't coming back.

But really, Temple started all of four games. Don't cry for Mason. I would have bought him out and signed someone who wanted to play.

TJastal
04-15-2010, 04:57 AM
Of course Temple is a Mason replacement. Mason isn't coming back.

But really, Temple started all of four games. Don't cry for Mason. I would have bought him out and signed someone who wanted to play.

Hey I got an idea .. why not use Mason in a role that we have seen actually work this season (which is to bring him off the bench with Parker). Nah, that would be too easy... nothing in Pop's world can be easy.. we have to overthink this..... :rolleyes

I'll be the first to admit Temple is outplaying Mason lately and has performed well in the starting lineup. This begs the question... why didn't Pop continue the trend of starting him? Do you think Pop is cute with all his different starting lineups? That he's being clever by swapping guys in and out of the starting lineup? Like wow, bitchin' man.... he's blowing the other teams' minds *puff puff pass*

Mason goes on to log more minutes than Temple (37 vs 26) despite shooting miserably and looking way out of sync offensively. More brilliance ... and I notice you don't have an explanation for that...

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 05:07 AM
Hey I got an idea .. why not use Mason in a role that we have seen actually work this season (which is to bring him off the bench with Parker). Nah, that would be too easy... nothing in Pop's world can be easy.. we have to overthink this..... :rolleyes:lol Sure thing, coach.

I'll be the first to admit Temple is outplaying Mason lately and has performed well in the starting lineup. This begs the question... why didn't Pop continue the trend of starting him? Do you think Pop is cute with all his different starting lineups? That he's being clever by swapping guys in and out of the starting lineup? Like wow, bitchin' man.... he's blowing the other teams' minds *puff puff pass*You are completely overthinking a throwaway game, coach.

Mason goes on to log more minutes than Temple (37 vs 26) despite shooting miserably and looking way out of sync offensively. More brilliance ... and I notice you don't have an explanation for that...It's a throwaway game, coach. Pop would have forfeited had that been an option.

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 05:12 AM
Look coach, I know you have your pet players and Pop is the only reason they could ever play badly.

Let's just say that is a given from now on so you can save some keystrokes.

Fire Pop.

TJastal
04-15-2010, 05:20 AM
:lol Sure thing, coach.

You are completely overthinking a throwaway game, coach.

It's a throwaway game, coach. Pop would have forfeited had that been an option.

Throwaway game indeed. Pop "threwaway" the chemistry and cohesion of the team more or less. And we'll be lucky to see a 100% George Hill for the playoffs now. Yah, I'm overthinking this.... :rolleyes

For a throwaway game I'd have expected Pop to be a lot less agitated over on the sideline.. a little calmer. Maybe you ought to hook him up with some of that weed you been smokin' Chump :smokin

And if this was a throwaway game I would have expected Hill to be sitting his gimpy ankled self out, taking it easy. Parker I can see getting some burn just for the reps, but why Hill?

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 05:24 AM
Throwaway game indeed. Pop "threwaway" the chemistry and cohesion of the team more or less.:lmao

It will always be his fault.

And we'll be lucky to see a 100% George Hill for the playoffs now. Yah, I'm overthinking this.... :rolleyesNow you're just bitching.

For a throwaway game I'd have expected Pop to be a lot less agitated over on the sideline.. a little calmer. Maybe you ought to hook him up with some of that weed you been smokin' Chump :smokinHe was pretty pissed about the photographer, but of course Pop hired him to injure Hill.

And if this was a throwaway game I would have expected Hill to be sitting his gimpy ankled self out, taking it easy. Parker I can see getting some burn just for the reps, but why Hill?Your other pet Malik was more gimpy.

Just blame Pop for everything -- oh, wait. You already did.

MaNu4Tres
04-15-2010, 05:28 AM
I gotta say, as a fan, it's extremely dissappointing to get all excited about good chemistry being created (between Parker and Mason in the 2nd unit) then watch the coach douse that chemistry with gasoline and set it ablaze in the last game of the season no less.

:lol

how many excuses do people have for this guy?

The guy is shooting less than 25 % the past 2 1/2 months. Your chemistry excuse between Mason and another player isn't the culprit for such poor production by Mason.

The guy is extremely limited on the defensive end and has only been a shooter. When a shooter has been shooting less than 25% for the past 10-12 weeks, you sit him. Especially if he has an injury, which he's proclaimed to bother him. It makes no sense to play the least productive player in the most important time of the year.

I pray to god Pop realizes this before its too late.

I won't take a early season exit very well if we play Mason a vital 15-20 minutes, going into a 0-2 hole by very slim margins of defeat.

Spurs need the most efficient 48 minutes possible and playing Mason doesn't correlate with that philosophy.

TJastal
04-15-2010, 05:37 AM
:lmao

It will always be his fault.

Now you're just bitching.

He was pretty pissed about the photographer, but of course Pop hired him to injure Hill.

Your other pet Malik was more gimpy.

Just blame Pop for everything -- oh, wait. You already did.

As usual you have no answer to the hard questions... as expected. I'm just "bitching" by asking legitimate tough questions.

To me, throwaway game = Hill sits and rests gimpy ankle for playoffs. Even Phil Jackson and the lakers were smart enough to do that with Bynum.

So obviously this wasn't a throwaway game as you'd like everyone to think. This was a trademark Pop move that typically ends up backfiring on the team.

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 05:40 AM
As usual you have no answer to the hard questions... as expected. I'm just "bitching" by asking legitimate tough questions.

To me, throwaway game = Hill sits and rests gimpy ankle for playoffs. Even Phil Jackson and the lakers were smart enough to do that with Bynum.

So obviously this wasn't a throwaway game as you'd like everyone to think. This was a trademark Pop move that typical ends up backfiring on the team.L

O

L

It's a throwaway game when Manu and Duncan are sitting out.

You are too blinded by rage and hatred for Pop that you don't understand that.

TJastal
04-15-2010, 05:43 AM
L

O

L

It's a throwaway game when Manu and Duncan are sitting out.

You are too blinded by rage and hatred for Pop that you don't understand that.

If its throwaway game why wasn't Hill sitting on the sideline laughing and joking in a suit then?

Answer please and don't just grouse about hating Pop.

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 05:46 AM
If its throwaway game why wasn't Hill sitting on the sideline laughing and joking in a suit then?

Answer please and don't just grouse about hating Pop.Wait a second.

You are still trying to claim this game, where Manu Ginobili and Tim Duncan were held out, was not a throwaway game?

Again, all that is needed here to answer your tough, probing question is

L

O

L

Hill was back from an injury. He was "getting reps" just like you pointed out Parker was doing. Chances are he wasn't going to play much more than last game.

Did you demand Hill not play against Minnesota as well?

MaNu4Tres
04-15-2010, 05:47 AM

Answer please and don't just grouse about hating Pop.

Because his injury wasn't severe or serious. ( As you can tell by his quick recovery).

And Pop wanted to give Parker and Hill more reps going into the weekend, since the two are the only players in the rotation who's rhythm is slightly off because of the time they missed.

TJastal
04-15-2010, 05:49 AM
Wait a second.

You are still trying to claim this game, where Manu Ginobili and Tim Duncan were held out, was not a throwaway game?

Again, all that is needed here to answer your tough, probing question is

L

O

L

I guess that means you don't have a legit answer to the question, since you aren't addressing it. I guess risking Hill in a "throwaway" game is good smart coaching in your world.

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 05:50 AM
I guess that means you don't have a legit answer to the question, since you aren't addressing it. I guess risking Hill in a "throwaway" game is good smart coaching in your world.I just addressed it, coach.

TJastal
04-15-2010, 05:54 AM
Because his injury wasn't severe or serious. ( As you can tell by his quick recovery).

And Pop wanted to give Parker and Hill more reps going into the weekend, since the two are the only players in the rotation who's rhythm is slightly off because of the time they missed.

Quick recovery my ass... obviously the ankle was still gimpy. But I suppose you'll claim it was well worth the risk of a re-injury to get a few reps in a "throwaway" game ... sure.

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 05:55 AM
Quick recovery my ass... obviously the ankle was still gimpy. But I suppose you'll claim it was well worth the risk of a re-injury to get a few reps in a "throwaway" game ... sure.Could you point out your vehement objection to his playing against the Wolves? I didn't read many posts here that day.

TJastal
04-15-2010, 05:58 AM
I just addressed it, coach.

Addressed my question? No, you haven't. You're just a parrot that keeps repeating the same thing over and over.

But at least now Manu4tres is trying to answer it for you, and save your rep.

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 05:59 AM
Addressed my question? No, you haven't. You're just a parrot that keeps repeating the same thing over and over.

But at least now Manu4tres is trying to answer it for you, and save your rep.Look up, coach. I said the same thing before he did.

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 06:00 AM
Once you get that through your head, why don't you answer this:
Could you point out your vehement objection to his playing against the Wolves? I didn't read many posts here that day.

TJastal
04-15-2010, 06:11 AM
Once you get that through your head, why don't you answer this:

I didn't object.. I had no idea his ankle was that gimpy. That's the job of the coach/trainers to know that kind of thing. Obviously it didn't take much to re-tweak the thing. So it was a very costly loss for a "throwaway" game. I guess we can sit and argue that Pop didn't know how gimpy the ankle was, but I can trump that by using your own argument .. that it was a "throwaway" game so he shouldn't have even taken the risk of playing him.

Check. Mate.

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 06:13 AM
I didn't object.. I had no idea his ankle was that gimpy. That's the job of the coach/trainers to know that kind of thing. Obviously it didn't take much to re-tweak the thing. So it was a very costly loss for a "throwaway" game. I guess we can sit and argue that Pop didn't know how gimpy the ankle was, but I can trump that by using your own argument .. that it was a "throwaway" game so he shouldn't have even taken the risk of playing him.

Check. Mate.Too late, I already trumped you with your argument for getting reps.

Check. Mate.

And you didn't even notice it.

Bonus.

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 06:14 AM
I didn't object.Thanks for leading with that, btw.

Check. Mate.

Twice.

Damn, I'm good.

Not really, you're just easily bested.

TJastal
04-15-2010, 06:24 AM
lol whatever makes you feel better, Chump

I used your own faulty logic to win the argument and now your all butthurt. :lol

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 06:26 AM
lol whatever makes you feel better, Chump

I used your own faulty logic to win the argument and now your all butthurt. :lollol whatever makes you feel better, coach.

I used the only real logic you presented to win the argument and now you're all butthurt. :lol

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 06:27 AM
Remember:
I didn't object.No, you didn't.

TJastal
04-15-2010, 06:46 AM
Remember:No, you didn't.

I didn't object to him coming back against the wolves because I figured the spurs were actually trying to win games and move up in the standings to play a banged up jazz team. You know, maybe it might be worth the risk then...

Apparently that wasn't the case however.

If I was going to throw a game like you say Pop's plan was I would have sat Hill. So all this proves is that Pop might not have been throwing the game all the way. It was a calculated risk that backfired. Like many of his "calculated risks" have this season. (See: Raptors game 1/3/2010)

easy7
04-15-2010, 06:47 AM
I think Pop is actually hurting Mason by playing him, since Mason is just not responding...

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 06:50 AM
I didn't object to him coming back against the wolves because I figured the spurs were actually trying to win games and move up in the standings to play a banged up jazz team. You know, maybe it might be worth the risk then...

Apparently that wasn't the case however.

If I was going to throw a game like you say Pop's plan was I would have sat Hill. So all this proves is that Pop might not have been throwing the game all the way. It was a calculated risk that backfired. Like many of his "calculated risks" have this season. (See: Raptors game 1/3/2010):lol

Playing any player at any time is a calculated risk.

I doubt Hill was scheduled to play much more than he did in Minnesota. They probably had it all calculated.

Like you said, coach: he was getting some reps.

Calculatedly.

TJastal
04-15-2010, 06:59 AM
:lol

Playing any player at any time is a calculated risk.

I doubt Hill was scheduled to play much more than he did in Minnesota. They probably had it all calculated.

Like you said, coach: he was getting some reps.

Calculatedly.

Horray! He got a few reps with guys he probably won't see much of in the playoffs. (Mason/Boner). I'm glad Pop's thinking ahead at least.

I concede. You are superior.

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 07:03 AM
Horray! He got a few reps with guys he probably won't see much of in the playoffs. (Mason/Boner). I'm glad Pop's thinking ahead at least.Reps are reps, coach. Last I checked five play at a time.

I concede. You are superior.Since you tried to argue a game where Manu Ginobili and Time Duncan (I used their full names in case you need to Google them) were held out was not a throwaway game, I must agree with your declaration that I am superior to you, coach.

TJastal
04-15-2010, 07:16 AM
Reps are reps, coach. Last I checked five play at a time.

Since you tried to argue a game where Manu Ginobili and Time Duncan (I used their full names in case you need to Google them) were held out was not a throwaway game, I must agree with your declaration that I am superior to you, coach.

You simply gotta get me hooked up with some of that good sheeit Chump.. then when I watch the games and Pop's all agitated and yelling and parading around ripping new asses apart and risking playing key guys with gimpy ankles or whatever it will actually look like Pop being laid back with a big ol' smile and a What, me worry "I could care less because this is a throwaway game" attitude..

GSH
04-15-2010, 07:17 AM
Pop knows Mason can shoot. When a shooter is in a slump, you tell him to shoot more. Pop knows that we are a better team with all of our players performing up to their potential. Mason wouldn't have found his stroke sitting on the bench. It's a shame that he can't seem to find it on the floor.

As for Mason being in a contract year - the Spurs have always treated players well. They have stuck with injured players that most teams would have cut loose. Pop has made calls to help players land a spot with another team, when there weren't roster spots for them here. When they make a trade, they often try to find a team that is a good fit for the player as well.

It makes a difference to me to support a team that has character. And it makes a difference to the players, too. And it has an impact on being able to sign quality players who have character themselves.

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 07:19 AM
You simply gotta get me hooked up with some of that good sheeit Chump.. then when I watch the games and Pop's all agitated and yelling and parading around ripping new asses apart and risking playing key guys with gimpy ankles or whatever it will actually look like Pop being laid back with a big ol' smile and a What, me worry "I could care less because this is a throwaway game" attitude..Did you find out who Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili are yet, coach?

TJastal
04-15-2010, 07:22 AM
Pop knows Mason can shoot. When a shooter is in a slump, you tell him to shoot more. Pop knows that we are a better team with all of our players performing up to their potential. Mason wouldn't have found his stroke sitting on the bench. It's a shame that he can't seem to find it on the floor.

As for Mason being in a contract year - the Spurs have always treated players well. They have stuck with injured players that most teams would have cut loose. Pop has made calls to help players land a spot with another team, when there weren't roster spots for them here. When they make a trade, they often try to find a team that is a good fit for the player as well.

It makes a difference to me to support a team that has character. And it makes a difference to the players, too. And it has an impact on being able to sign quality players who have character themselves.

So if a player is in a slump you move him to the starting lineup so not only he feels more pressure to perform, but when he doesn't the team's chemistry goes to pot. Yep this makes perfect sense.

TJastal
04-15-2010, 07:23 AM
Did you find out who Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili are yet, coach?

Did you try watching the games sober, yet?

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 07:26 AM
Did you try watching the games sober, yet?I always watch them sober.

Why can't you answer my question, coach?
Did you find out who Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili are yet, coach?

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 07:28 AM
As usual, you have no answers to the hard questions.

TJastal
04-15-2010, 07:42 AM
As usual, you have no answers to the hard questions.

lol "hard" questions.

What is your point, again? That Pop didn't care about the game? Sure didn't appear that way but then again, I'm not baked over here either...

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 07:46 AM
lol "hard" questions.You certainly haven't answered it. You sure don't like having your words thrown back in your face, do you, coach?

What is your point, again?My point is you haven't shown any knowledge of the Spurs players named Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili

That Pop didn't care about the game? Sure didn't appear that way but then again, I'm not baked over here either...No, you just aren't very intelligent, coach.

Do you know who Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili are?

TJastal
04-15-2010, 07:51 AM
You certainly haven't answered it. You sure don't like having your words thrown back in your face, do you, coach?

My point is you haven't shown any knowledge of the Spurs players named Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili

No, you just aren't very intelligent, coach.

Do you know who Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili are?

lol Chumpdumper grasping at his straw man...

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 07:53 AM
lol Chumpdumper grasping at his straw man...It's clear you don't know what that term means either.

Do you know who Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili are, coach?

If you knew, you would know why this was a throwaway game.

hsxvvd
04-15-2010, 08:07 AM
LOL - This thread is a classic example of why Chump gets my top 3 MVP vote.

TJastal
04-15-2010, 08:09 AM
LOL - This thread is a classic example of why Chump gets my top 3 MVP vote.

:lmao

TJastal
04-15-2010, 08:13 AM
So if I set up simple straw men and beat the shit out of them I'll be everyone's favorite poster too whoopeee!!!

:rollin

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 08:15 AM
So if I set up simple straw men and beat the shit out of them I'll be everyone's favorite poster too whoopeee!!!

:rollinLooks like you found something new to whine about.

The fact remains: Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili are indeed basketball players for the San Antonio Spurs. Their exclusion from this last game is very strong evidence that it was a throwaway game.

Your evidence that it was not? Pop yelled.

GSH
04-15-2010, 08:54 AM
So if a player is in a slump you move him to the starting lineup so not only he feels more pressure to perform, but when he doesn't the team's chemistry goes to pot. Yep this makes perfect sense.

Been a Spurs fan long? Pop always screws with the starting lineup for a good part of the season. This year the tinkering went on longer than usual. Bonner, Finley, and Parker missed big chunks of the season with injuries, and Pop wants to limit Duncan's minutes to keep him health for the playoffs. Bogans isn't exactly an offensive powerhouse. Somebody had to get some minutes. Letting an experienced player like Mason try and shoot his way out of his slump isn't exactly a radical idea.

Jefferson performed a lot better with Manu on the floor. Putting Mason in with different groups kinda makes sense, too, don't you think? And, yeah, some players perform better when they start. Teams have a limited number of assets. Pop tried to get the most value out of one of them. To his credit, he didn't take Mason's trade request personally. Some coaches would have dumped him on the bench and forgot about him - but not the good coaches.

TJastal
04-15-2010, 08:57 AM
Looks like you found something new to whine about.

The fact remains: Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili are indeed basketball players for the San Antonio Spurs. Their exclusion from this last game is very strong evidence that it was a throwaway game.

Your evidence that it was not? Pop yelled.

"Pop yelled."

Understatment of the year. Pop was stamping around all game long agitated. Seemed like he had something shoved up his ass that kept him from sitting down. Every time out or intermission he was meeting somebody at mid court and getting in their grill. He was ripping guys new assholes left and right.

Call me crazy but it sure looked like he was trying to win this "throwaway" game to me.

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 09:00 AM
"Pop yelled."

Understatment of the year. Pop was stamping around all game long agitated. Seemed like he had something shoved up his ass that kept him from sitting down. Every time out or intermission he was meeting somebody at mid court and getting in their grill. He was ripping guys new assholes left and right.

Call me crazy but it sure looked like he was trying to win this "throwaway" game to me.I can certainly understand his being upset by the fact Hill was injured by a photographer.

And, by not playing Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili, would you say the Spurs had a better or worse chance of winning the game?

These are your choices, coach.

a) Better

b) Worse

Please answer.

Creation88
04-15-2010, 09:05 AM
has Mason ever encountered a shot he doesn't like?

GSH
04-15-2010, 09:07 AM
"Pop yelled."

Call me crazy but it sure looked like he was trying to win this "throwaway" game to me.

Of course he tried to win it, you pinhead. Short of that, he wanted his reserves to play smart ball against the Mavs. I'm just guessing, but it may have had something to do with facing them in the first round?

The league is already concerned about teams resting players in "throw-away" games. There was a story yesterday that they are going to look at it in the offseason. I'm pretty sure it would have looked bad if he would have spent the game playing Tetris on his Iphone.

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Of course he tried to win it, you pinhead. Short of that, he wanted his reserves to play smart ball against the Mavs. I'm just guessing, but it may have had something to do with facing them in the first round?

The league is already concerned about teams resting players in "throw-away" games. There was a story yesterday that they are going to look at it in the offseason. I'm pretty sure it would have looked bad if he would have spent the game playing Tetris on his Iphone.Agreed. Pop did everything he could to win this game....

....except play his two best players....

TJastal
04-15-2010, 09:14 AM
Been a Spurs fan long? Pop always screws with the starting lineup for a good part of the season. This year the tinkering went on longer than usual. Bonner, Finley, and Parker missed big chunks of the season with injuries, and Pop wants to limit Duncan's minutes to keep him health for the playoffs. Bogans isn't exactly an offensive powerhouse. Somebody had to get some minutes. Letting an experienced player like Mason try and shoot his way out of his slump isn't exactly a radical idea.

Jefferson performed a lot better with Manu on the floor. Putting Mason in with different groups kinda makes sense, too, don't you think? And, yeah, some players perform better when they start. Teams have a limited number of assets. Pop tried to get the most value out of one of them. To his credit, he didn't take Mason's trade request personally. Some coaches would have dumped him on the bench and forgot about him - but not the good coaches.

Been a spurs fan since 1997 or thereabouts. And I realize Pop like to tinker, even late into a season.

But tinkering just for the sake of tinkering is what it seems like Pop did last night. Garret Temple had been getting starts in place of Hill for awhile (and doing fine I might add), so why all of a sudden change things up now? Roger can shoot himself out of his slump from the bench just fine. Furthurmore, him and Parker showed some nice chemistry together in the wolves' game. Why not try to build on that? Doesn't that make more sense?

Flip-flopping roles this late in the season just for the sake of doing so doesn't build good chemistry or help the team.

GSH
04-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Been a spurs fan since 1997 or thereabouts. And I realize Pop like to tinker, even late into a season.

Furthurmore, him and Parker showed some nice chemistry together in the wolves' game. Why not try to build on that? Doesn't that make more sense?

Flip-flopping roles this late in the season just for the sake of doing so doesn't build good chemistry or help the team.

"If you're trying to build team chemistry in the 82nd game, you're fucked."

- Sun Tzu

TJastal
04-15-2010, 09:22 AM

The league is already concerned about teams resting players in "throw-away" games. There was a story yesterday that they are going to look at it in the offseason. I'm pretty sure it would have looked bad if he would have spent the game playing Tetris on his Iphone.

That's not the impression I was getting from Chumpdumper.. if you followed the argument for going on 3 pages now, it appeared he was implying/ suggesting Pop didn't care to win the game and other than yelling once he was disinterested most of the game.

If you're going to add your 2 cents at least read the entire thread next time.

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 09:23 AM
That's not the impression I was getting from Chumpdumper.. if you followed the argument for going on 3 pages now, it appeared he was implying/ suggesting Pop didn't care to win the game and other than yelling once he was disinterested most of the game.

If you're going to add your 2 cents at least read the entire thread next time.You really suck at inference.

Really.

You also suck at answering questions:
And, by not playing Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili, would you say the Spurs had a better or worse chance of winning the game?

These are your choices, coach.

a) Better

b) Worse

Please answer.I guess I'll add these:

c) Makes no difference

d) I have no idea who Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili are

Please answer.

TJastal
04-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Agreed. Pop did everything he could to win this game....

....except play his two best players....

LOL see??

And you call me the pinhead!?

ChumpDumper
04-15-2010, 09:27 AM
LOL see??Do you?

And you call me the pinhead!?I never called you a pinhead.

I am now calling you a dumbass for saying I called you that.

Dumbass.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-15-2010, 09:28 AM
TJastal, isn't there some middle ground for you between the two notions - the Spurs trying to win at all costs and Spurs losing on purpose? Of course Pop wanted to win, no one has implied he didn't, it's just that he cared less about the win that about resting his two best players.It's not like he's told the team to lose on purpose, duh...

G-Dawgg
04-15-2010, 09:57 AM
..everybody in here will be crying next year when his hand is healed and he's hitting game winners for another championship calibur team......

TJastal
04-15-2010, 10:06 AM
TJastal, isn't there some middle ground for you between the two notions - the Spurs trying to win at all costs and Spurs losing on purpose? Of course Pop wanted to win, no one has implied he didn't, it's just that he cared less about the win that about resting his two best players.It's not like he's told the team to lose on purpose, duh...

IMO if you don't care enough about a win to use your best players.. then the game isn't worth much to begin with. Whatever middle ground exists is shaky at best. This was kind of my point, that these "calculated risks" he likes to take have a tendency to backfire on the team. Perfect example was the raptors game and sitting out Duncan and "hoping" the spurs can coast to victory without him. That backfired in a big way when Timmy almost killed himself trying to bring the spurs back from a double digit defecit.

Same principle here, he decides to sit his two big guns and yet expects the rest of the guys to step up including Hill who was playing (apparently unbeknownst to coaching staff/trainers) on a still gimpy ankle. Not saying he wouldn't have injured it the same way if Duncan and Ginobili were playing but that is sort of the point... why is he out there to begin with if the game means so little?

Cane
04-15-2010, 10:07 AM
why is he out there to begin with if the game means so little?

Probably because Hill and the medical staff thought he was ready to keep playing especially since he seemed fine from the previous game. Same reasons why they played Parker ahead of time and to shake off rust. Not terribly hard.

TJastal
04-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Probably because Hill and the medical staff thought he was ready to keep playing especially since he seemed fine from the previous game. Same reasons why they played Parker ahead of time and to shake off rust. Not terribly hard.

I don't see Bynum or Shaq out there playing the last few meaningless games of the season shaking off rust.

Could it be they know something we don't?

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-15-2010, 10:15 AM
why is he out there to begin with if the game means so little?

For the same reason that Parker played - both coming back from injuries and needing to shake off the rust. His tweaked ankle was a misfurtunate thing, but has no relevance to the issue - like you said it could have happened with Tim and Manu playing or in practice or in his bathroom, it wasn't caused by throwing him in the game not fully healed ( I believe this is the last thing anyone could blame Pop for ).

Cane
04-15-2010, 10:17 AM
I don't see Bynum or Shaq out there playing the last few meaningless games of the season shaking off rust.

Could it be they know something we don't?

Its not just rust (strawman ftl); its also because Hill seemed healthy enough last game and if you got the okay from him and the medical staff...should be ready to play like Tony Parker.