PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone with AT&T really talk and surf the web at the same time?

Thunder Dan
03-20-2010, 08:59 AM
I have an Iphone, and I've never been in a situation where I'm talking on the phone and need to use the internet. I have been in situations (about everyday) where I wish I didn't have ATT's shitty service. They made those stupid commercials showing people using their ability to talk and surf at the same time, but I've never once had to do that. The commercials seem to stupid to me. Like ATT knows they suck, but they point out one little thing Verizon doesn't have.

scampers
03-20-2010, 09:16 AM
Nope.

I don't have any problem with AT&T's service in the Boston area, but when I visited home in Michigan my phone barely worked. I originally got AT&T for the iPhone... when my 2 years are up I'll be switching, for sure.

SpursWoman
03-20-2010, 09:19 AM
:lol

We have this conversation everytime one of those commercials comes on. Does anyone ever really do that? :wtf :lol

Thunder Dan
03-20-2010, 09:30 AM

We have this conversation everytime one of those commercials comes on. Does anyone ever really do that? :wtf :lol

I want to meet the guy who gets ATT just in case one of his friends makes it on a game show and used him as a lifeline

mookie2001
03-20-2010, 09:40 AM
speaking of spurs game commercials did any of yall notice that GMC, Ford and Dodge are all having TRUCK MONTH right now?

fucking awesome

leemajors
03-20-2010, 10:07 AM
I do occasionally. it's a nice feature to be able to use. mainly use it for maps when i do. nothing out there comes close to the iPhone, so i'll probably get another when they come out with another this summer. then again, i've never had a problem with at&t's coverage, and I can stream mkv's to my phone over 3g using air video.

Das Texan
03-20-2010, 10:09 AM
i actually have surfed the web maybe twice since having my iphone and talking at the same time.

i just find it funny how thunder dan bitches about at&t's 3g coverage all the time and well at&t in general.

While I know their coverage needs a massive upgrade, mostly due to them having the most phones on their networks and not planning properly...

Last time Dan said At&T has 3g in what? 12 cities? I know of 8 in Texas for sure cause I've been there. This includes Pearsall. Oops?

Whisky Dog
03-20-2010, 10:19 AM
I do it all the time. I use my head phones to talk and use my phone to look up stuff pertaining to the conversation. Or, I use it to keep myself entertained yet seeming like I give a shit when my fiancé is babbling on and on about shit I don't care about. It's a nice feature.

JamStone
03-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Some guy I spoke with who works for T-mobile was telling me that a lot of the problems with coverage and reception aren't necessarily AT&T's fault but it's a problem with the iPhone. Now, he doesn't work for either AT&T or Apple and he wasn't trying to sell me anything so I figure he has no reason to lie. He was saying the other AT&T smart phones don't have near the problems the iPhone has and there's some kind of dysfunctional issue with the iPhone itself. I don't know. I've used Verizon for the longest time so I don't know. But my brother and brother-in-law both have iPhones and constantly have problems getting a signal even in populated areas where there should be no problem.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-20-2010, 12:12 PM
(Preface this with saying I don't have an iPhone nor am I on AT&T)

When I have WiFi turned on w/ my Pre, I have used the Web (and received IMs or tweet alerts) while on a phone call. Mainly to look up something that was asked of me or to check a map. Been having so many problems with my home network since my roomie's boyfriend set it up that I can't get WiFi on my Pre at my own place and it's upsetting, but not enough to actually do something about it. :D

exstatic
03-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Some guy I spoke with who works for T-mobile was telling me that a lot of the problems with coverage and reception aren't necessarily AT&T's fault but it's a problem with the iPhone. Now, he doesn't work for either AT&T or Apple and he wasn't trying to sell me anything so I figure he has no reason to lie. He was saying the other AT&T smart phones don't have near the problems the iPhone has and there's some kind of dysfunctional issue with the iPhone itself. I don't know. I've used Verizon for the longest time so I don't know. But my brother and brother-in-law both have iPhones and constantly have problems getting a signal even in populated areas where there should be no problem.

It's not a "problem" with the iPhone, it's a handset count issue. AT&T wasn't ready for the bandwidth overload, but frankly, I'm not sure any carrier would have been. AT&T should have opted out of their exclusive deal at the first opportunity, rather than extend it. Their subscriber growth would have been slower, but that would have allowed their infrastructure to catch up, and they wouldn't have got such a horrible rep.

baseline bum
03-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Phone sex + youjizz.com @ the same time. They should put it in the commercial.

TIMMYD!
03-20-2010, 12:27 PM

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-20-2010, 12:34 PM

Mix it with this commercial and I'll be in my bunk... multitasking.

_1OHlFOee2w

mrsmaalox
03-20-2010, 01:01 PM
The "talking on the phone" is the least used feature on my iphone ;)

ashbeeigh
03-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Thunder Dan is such a richer. Iphone, James Perse clothes...I bet he has Spurs season passes and drives a BMW. Oh and went to Churchill or Alamo Heights. Not Clark though. No Clark kid would wear James Perse.

And to answer the question, no. I'm afraid my Xenon would blow up if I even considered it.

Trainwreck2100
03-20-2010, 03:49 PM
(Preface this with saying I don't have an iPhone nor am I on AT&T)

When I have WiFi turned on w/ my Pre, I have used the Web (and received IMs or tweet alerts) while on a phone call. Mainly to look up something that was asked of me or to check a map. Been having so many problems with my home network since my roomie's boyfriend set it up that I can't get WiFi on my Pre at my own place and it's upsetting, but not enough to actually do something about it. :D

you installed preware yet?

Sisk
03-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Yeah.. maps/numbers off the web can be very useful

DMX7
03-20-2010, 04:20 PM
speaking of spurs game commercials did any of yall notice that GMC, Ford and Dodge are all having TRUCK MONTH right now?

fucking awesome

I thought last month was truck month.

Sense
03-20-2010, 05:15 PM
I've been with AT&T and honestly I miss it....

Rollover was huge with my plan, and the reception is awesome... the best out of any other service provider. I used to travel to Alpine on UIL meets in school and most of the bus was asking me for my phone because theirs didn't work. I had a blackjack II and was paying 80 for unlim text, data, and what seemed like unlimited minutes thanks to rollover....

I think it's funny you think it's shitty service... I mean sure you can pull out the map bullcrap....but I was always on the covered area so I had no issues.

Duff McCartney
03-20-2010, 05:20 PM
I think it's funny you think it's shitty service... I mean sure you can pull out the map bullcrap....but I was always on the covered area so I had no issues.

That's the reason threads like this are pointless. You got 5 people bitching that the service sucks, and five others that swear by it.

For me, I've heard people bitch about Sprint non stop, but I've never had problems with the service ever! The only thing that sucks is the Pre, but that's not a Sprint problem, that's more of a Palm problem.

leemajors
03-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Thunder Dan is such a richer. Iphone, James Perse clothes...I bet he has Spurs season passes and drives a BMW. Oh and went to Churchill or Alamo Heights. Not Clark though. No Clark kid would wear James Perse.

And to answer the question, no. I'm afraid my Xenon would blow up if I even considered it.

He lives in Ohio. Duh.

Shelly
03-20-2010, 06:24 PM
I did the other day. I needed to use the Map feature while on the phone.

Thunder Dan, When I was in Hudson last October, I had no problem getting 3G service. It's when I went to Chesterland that I had 1 bar or no service at all.

Frenzy
03-20-2010, 07:42 PM
I have nothing against AT&T ...sure I hear the reception is "eh" but what makes me hate them is those stupid commercials with luke wilson. I wanna drive rusty nails in his neck to shut him up.

Brodels
03-20-2010, 08:00 PM
nothing out there comes close to the iPhone.

Well, except for a couple of the higher-end Android devices, which are arguably better in some ways.

Wild Cobra
03-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Well, except for a couple of the higher-end Android devices, which are arguably better in some ways.
I like my Android operating system. Still not use to the touch screen dialer, but the phone is sweet.

http://www.krunker.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/samsungbeholdii.jpg

The cube spins if you want to play with it. Youtube clips of plenty fast, and the organic LED 320 x 240 screen is so clean and bright.

You can play with the phone and talk on speakerphone, blue-tooth, etc. at the same time

tlongII
03-20-2010, 09:46 PM
How about those phones with the built in projecter. LMAO at anyone that would use that. :lmao

PuttPutt
03-20-2010, 10:31 PM
I've used the net & been talking on my BlackBerry Bold a few times.

I mostly email & talk on the phone a lot at the same time. My job requires me to be at various places everyday & not in my home office. I have to answer many of the emails I get right away & when I talk on the phone it's a good time to take care of the emails.

PuttPutt
03-20-2010, 10:31 PM
How about those phones with the built in projecter. LMAO at anyone that would use that. :lmao

Exactly. What a worthless feature IMO.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-20-2010, 11:49 PM
you installed preware yet?

Yep. Have some good homebrew apps and patches running.

leemajors
03-21-2010, 01:28 AM

All of the Android phones but the Nexus One are hampered by their carriers not pushing out the newest Android versions, except maybe the Droid, but it just now got 2.1. Just strictly speaking about the variety and quality of apps available, it's not even close.

Wild Cobra
03-21-2010, 10:43 AM
All of the Android phones but the Nexus One are hampered by their carriers not pushing out the newest Android versions, except maybe the Droid, but it just now got 2.1. Just strictly speaking about the variety and quality of apps available, it's not even close.
My phone went through a long download and update two nights ago. I'll bet I have the newest version.

phxspurfan
03-21-2010, 06:50 PM
All the time. I use hands-free, drive and GPS all at once. Maybe even email.

Bigzax
03-21-2010, 07:01 PM
at&t has never let me down as far as service or reception, (bout 8 years)

but i am not happy with their minimum data plans they tack onto their phones.

hey, if people want an i phone, or a smart phone or whatever, then i imagine that they want all that other stuff anyway...meaning the 30 dollar add on. i get that.

but that's not me.

i have a simple phone at the base rate.

it's time to upgrade, and i wouldn't mind getting a phone with a keyboard and adding the 200 messages for 5 bux.

but no more. in january, they implemented a 20 dollar minimum data plan for any phone like that.

the phones they have to choose from that do not include these required data plans are really bottom of the barrel stuff.

so i'll keep my 2007 phone until i find something better...

angel_luv
03-22-2010, 10:54 AM
AT& T's boasts about great coverage is joke. I got no reception inside my house and I only lived ten minutes from the Forum- not out in the middle of nowhere.
Furthermore I had to call them to send me my bills when I knew a payment was due because they were neglecting to send me bills- even after I had called to request them! And then they had the nerve to hassle me for calling for my bill which I never did receive- even though I had already mailed them a full payment without having the bill to review.

AT&T is horrible and I am glad to be rid of them!

RGMCSE
03-22-2010, 11:52 AM
As someone else mentioned these type of threads are pointless because each persons experience will be different. But I can't help my self, I will lay out a couple of points about ATT and Sprint.

I was with ATT for 6 years. I had multiple types of phones including "PDA devices" and here are the things that pissed me off.

1. DROPPED CALLS!!! I'm sure that over the 6 years I dropped thousands of calls. No BS either. I would be driving in the middle of town or at my house or at a park it didn't matter where.

2. Support/Service. The rollover feature was nice if they didn't try to steal my minutes all the time. I would have no less than 3 thousand minutes every month due to rollover. But then my wife would call and make an addition to our service and they would take all our minutes away. They would site that any change in service is like restarting your plan therefore the minutes would reset. This became a big issue as I saw that as theft because I paid for those minutes. I even contacted one of the Executives offices directly and they gave us half of the minutes back. THIEVES!!

3. Too Many restrictions. 9pm nights, 2 year upgrade wait and minimum Data plan rate with certain phones. Plain and simple they are just more expensive.

Now for my current sprint experience. Right now I'm totally stoked about Sprint and my Samsung Moment Droid phone. I used to be a Sprint customer way back in the day and was alright. They didnt blow me away the way the did now though so it's not like I've been a fan of theirs.

1. The plan. I have the unlimited plan with 1500 minutes. Nights and weekends start at 7pm to 7am. Free phone upgrade after 1 year. Free calls to any cell carrier. Unlimited text, Data, etc. All this for $99.99. Which includes a second line.

2. Service/customer service. So far about 2 months worth of calls. I've dropped only a few calls. To be totally honest that has been where I'm in an elevator or something like that. Other than that the service has been terrific. The Internet speed is FAST. I have no idea what the comparisons are but I can pull up any site on my phone in seconds. Downloading a 5 MB file takes about 1 minute and change. I haven't needed to call customer service but one time and they were comparable to ATT.

3. The phone. By far the coolest phone I've ever owned. The "Android Market" has thousands of free apps and demos at my disposal. Since I have unlimited data. I've found a Tether software and use my phone as a Modem and connect my laptop to the net and its quite speedy. I've also downloaded Golf GPS apps to use on the golf course which helps me locate the pin on a green and locate the dogleg on a certain hole, not to mention the distance between shots. So many other features to mention. But the coolest feature is the Sprint Navigation (free). I've never had the need for one but now that my phone has it I use it all the time. Saturday the wife called from work and she wanted to go to Blacks Barbecue. Well I wasn't up for the drive so I suggested something different in town. While on the call I do a search online for barbecue in San Antonio. Find TWO Bros Barbecue Market On west AVE. Type in the address in Sprint Navigation and start to drive over.

Damn I sound like a Sprint commercial, but hey that's just my honest experience with them right now.

Rob