PDA

View Full Version : CJack or Temple?

Flux451
03-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Both have played two games each with a decent amount of minutes. Pop is definitly getting a decent look at both. With how Pop is rotating right now, who knows what can happen. I usually am high on defense, but it seems like Spurs can have their offensive droughts when it matters (magic game, three starters). Maybe a little energy and skill on offense would help at times.

Cjack brings energy, good ball handles, ok playmaking abilities, great/aggressive defense. I like how active he is on defense and seems to have a nice sense of rotation and ability to stay with his man. Definitely superior on d than Temple.

Temple brings a better offensive game. His stroke looks better even though he didn't hit a good percentage of his jump shots, possible jitters being new. I like his hard nose drives and he got a couple and-1's. He is definitely not intimidated to drive. His passing and awareness on offense is a better than Cjack. I liked his movement on defense but he was having trouble with staying on Watson and Ellis. Both are quick so I don't put too much on this. He doesn't seem to have a defensive naturally ability like Cjack.

Small sample size but that what happens with 10 day contracts. It's a tough one, because we only have one true point guard, TP. Hill has become a better PG than most of us thought he would. Manu can take the duties. But right now, I don't feel we have anyone quick enough to stay with some PG's and Hill is susceptible to have a drought as we just saw. A PG with playmaking abilities would be nice in case that happens again. Also, a PG quick enough to stay with his man and harass him would be ideal.

Who do you like?

xellos88330
03-20-2010, 10:44 AM
It is a tough choice for sure. I would probably take Temple. He looks longer than Jackson.

jiggy_55
03-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Doesn't matter as CJax is already gone, he was not resigned after his first 10 day contract.

Flux451
03-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Doesn't matter as CJax is already gone, he was not resigned after his first 10 day contract.

Whoops, thanks for the update. Where did you see this?

jiggy_55
03-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Whoops, thanks for the update. Where did you see this?

MYSA Express news

Chomag
03-20-2010, 11:12 AM
IS it just me or does Temple have one of the worst passing mechanics I have ever seen.

Other then that he does show some good things.

silverblackfan
03-20-2010, 11:24 AM
I think both will get invites to summer league. Neither would play meaningful minutes in the upcoming games, unless it is a blow out.
Kind of a toss up for preference. I like CJack's aggressiveness, speed and defense better than Temple. I like Temple's size and manner. He seemed pretty calm, but maybe the more aggressive player is the one the Spurs are needing.
One thing I can tell from this small sample is that Temple's shot is much better than CJack's.

exstatic
03-20-2010, 11:33 AM
The 13th spot is likely to be a series of 10 day auditions.

Spursfan 87
03-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Cjack, good defensive player and a true pass first pg.

exstatic
03-20-2010, 11:57 AM
For those who can't or won't read...

TIMMYD!
03-20-2010, 12:02 PM

I said the same thing in the game blog yesterday.

SenorSpur
03-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Is Temple really considered a PG? Was this his natural position that he played in the D-League?

TIMMYD!
03-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Is Temple really considered a PG? Was this his natural position that he played in the D-League?

I thought he was a SG?

ginobilized
03-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Temple has a game that reminds me of the Iceman a bit. He's got the finger roll and a similar jump shot form.

SpursRulez4eVeR
03-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Temple has a game that reminds me of the Iceman a bit. He's got the finger roll and a similar jump shot form.

does iceman air layups? idk

DMX7
03-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Temple just isn't a point guard, he is more of a 2.

SenorSpur
03-20-2010, 02:55 PM
I thought he was a SG?

I thought that too. However, I see Pop has given him PG duties.

Chomag
03-20-2010, 03:33 PM
I thought that too. However, I see Pop has given him PG duties.

At least it's not at center... or is it? :lol

I'm still waiting for the day Pop actually plays players at their natural positions.

TD- plays PF yet is a center (more about what Tim likes to be called though).
Finely- PF/C (thankfully this is now an afterthought)
RJ- PF/C (no comment)
Bogans- PF/C (well he is called the centerpiece lol)
Mason- PG/PF (fail on both)
Bonner PF/C (He is really a tall SF on the edge of PF yet he playes Center most times.)

itzsoweezee
03-20-2010, 04:24 PM
at least jackson played good defense. temple doesn't do anything well.

Stringer_Bell
03-20-2010, 04:58 PM
I was surprised CJack didn't get another opportunity to play after showing an INSPIRED effort in his brief time with the Spurs. I don't like what I've seen from Temple enough to let a guy like Temple go if we need another player to fill the roster spot. I'd rather have CJack's energy than Temple's shitty lay ups.

Let this be a notice to all, Pop wouldn't give a shit about ANY new guys or playing rookie/sophomores much in the playoffs. It explains why Bonner and Blair have been out on the floor recently, Blair will be absent from most of the playoffs just as CJack or Temple would be.

The Truth #6
03-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Wasn't Temple supposed to be a stopper? I didn't see that last night but small sample size. I'd prefer CJax to be on the team because he seemed to have true PG instincts which is something severely lacking on this team. Against a normal team Temple as PG would be exposed much worse than Cjax in my opinion. I think Temple as a PG is a stupid idea. I've read he's been put in that spot before but I don't see him to have any PG skills. If he does have defensive skills I could understand why he got chosen over CJax.

TIMMYD!
03-20-2010, 06:00 PM
I was surprised CJack didn't get another opportunity to play after showing an INSPIRED effort in his brief time with the Spurs. I don't like what I've seen from Temple enough to let a guy like Temple go if we need another player to fill the roster spot. I'd rather have CJack's energy than Temple's shitty lay ups.

Let this be a notice to all, Pop wouldn't give a shit about ANY new guys or playing rookie/sophomores much in the playoffs. It explains why Bonner and Blair have been out on the floor recently, Blair will be absent from most of the playoffs just as CJack or Temple would be.

I thought Pop said he made a mistake of not playing Hill in the PO's last year?

Unless this is a completely different situation which it shouldn't be.

duncan228
03-21-2010, 12:17 AM
Temple: Spurs Will Sign Me For Rest Of Season (http://www.krgv.com/sports/story/Temple-Spurs-Will-Sign-Me-For-Rest-Of-Season/1nt1soMnIUOkDopaFuApvg.cspx)
KRGV.com

Garrett Temple has told the Vipers' coaches that the Spurs will be signing him to a contract for the remainder of the season.

This comes after Temple scored nine points in 20 minutes of action last night against Golden State.

When Temple is officially signed by the Spurs, the Vipers will move to the top of the NBA D-League waiver pool.

TJastal
03-21-2010, 12:35 AM
Temple: Spurs Will Sign Me For Rest Of Season (http://www.krgv.com/sports/story/Temple-Spurs-Will-Sign-Me-For-Rest-Of-Season/1nt1soMnIUOkDopaFuApvg.cspx)
KRGV.com

Garrett Temple has told the Vipers' coaches that the Spurs will be signing him to a contract for the remainder of the season.

This comes after Temple scored nine points in 20 minutes of action last night against Golden State.

When Temple is officially signed by the Spurs, the Vipers will move to the top of the NBA D-League waiver pool.

And so Pop's holy grail quest to find the new Bruce Bowen begins anew.

The Truth #6
03-21-2010, 12:47 AM
I like the idea of finding a stopper. I'm curious how Pop handles this.

I think CJax would have helped more in the short term but with Mason leaving they need to start looking for another guard.

raspsa
03-21-2010, 12:48 AM
And so Pop's holy grail quest to find the new Bruce Bowen begins anew.

You may be on to something. Temple was noted for his defense coming out of college. Maybe Pop sees something in him.

HarlemHeat37
03-21-2010, 01:12 AM
Temple has looked bad IMO, especially defensively..I'll give him time though..

Flux451
03-21-2010, 03:38 AM
If Temple can learn the defensive rotations, he will be fine.

jiggy_55
03-21-2010, 04:46 AM
KRGV.com

Quite interesting. What do you think Pop sees in him?

In other news, Raja Bell will be waived it seems so the Warriors can sign d-leaguer Reggie Williams. What do you guys think of a possible Spurs interest in him for the next season? (He's done for this season I believe)

Bruno
03-21-2010, 08:30 AM
KRGV.com

:wow

Spurs could have decided to sign him to a second 10 days contract. They made the choice to sign him for the rest of the season while there are still 2 games left on his first 10 days contract. Spurs must be really high on him to do that.

What is quite encouraging about Temple is what happen with Rockets. He was with them in summer league, preseason and with their D-League team. Rockets know Temple very well and they signed him to 2 10-days contract. It hints that he is an interesting prospect.

I guess his contract will also be for next season with few or no guaranteed money. Spurs will work with him this summer in summer league and preseason before deciding or not to cut him at the end of next year training camp.

BTW, is it the first time a father and a son have played for Spurs?

Mel_13
03-21-2010, 08:52 AM
Good move. Assuming that he is under contract for next season with little or no guaranteed money, the Spurs now control him for the next 7+ months at a very low cost. They'll have until the end of October to decide if he's worth keeping.

Stringer_Bell
03-21-2010, 08:59 AM
In other news, Raja Bell will be waived it seems so the Warriors can sign d-leaguer Reggie Williams. What do you guys think of a possible Spurs interest in him for the next season? (He's done for this season I believe)

This is interesting, he's been on the All-defensive teams as recently as 2008, so it's not THAT long ago. Get him healed, dust him off, and we could get decent defense + 10 points a game out of him...could be worth a look!

exstatic
03-21-2010, 09:11 AM
I believe the Spurs had to sign someone for the rest of the season to carry into the playoffs as roster spot #13. I just figured they'd drag things out with repeated 10 day contracts until they had no other choice.

xellos88330
03-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Quite interesting. What do you think Pop sees in him?

I wouldn't take Raja. I cannot explain why either. Gut feeling. I just think he would fall apart on the Spurs.

jjktkk
03-21-2010, 09:51 AM
I thought Pop said he made a mistake of not playing Hill in the PO's last year?

Unless this is a completely different situation which it shouldn't be.

Neither Cedric Jackson, nor Garrett Temple were signed to compete for a spot in the rotation, let alone the playoff rotation. This is no way like the Hill situation last year. Jackson, who BTW was not signed to a 2nd contract, and Temple were signed so Pop and the coaching staff can get a look at them and see if potentially they can be signed for the Summer league and possibly training camp next season.

jjktkk
03-21-2010, 10:01 AM
I wouldn't take Raja. I cannot explain why either. Gut feeling. I just think he would fall apart on the Spurs.

Is Bell even healthy, and say if the Spurs signed him, would Bell be eligible for the playoffs?

Muser
03-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Sweet, Temple looks very interesting.

Mel_13
03-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Is Bell even healthy, and say if the Spurs signed him, would Bell be eligible for the playoffs?

Bell wouldn't be eligible for the playoffs. Given that the Warriors have only been able to dress 7-8 players recently, it is safe to assume that Raja can't play right now.

I've always liked Raja, but he'll turn 34 before next season begins. Going forward, I'd rather not see any new additions to roster that are on the wrong side of 30.

mogrovejo
03-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Meh, do I need to bum the post where I said Temple was the better player and a much more interesting project?

exstatic
03-21-2010, 10:54 AM

In order: I don't know, and no, he wouldn't be eligible for the playoffs.

Bell wouldn't be eligible for the playoffs. Given that the Warriors have only been able to dress 7-8 players recently, it is safe to assume that Raja can't play right now.

I've always liked Raja, but he'll turn 34 before next season begins. Going forward, I'd rather not see any new additions to roster that are on the wrong side of 30.

With that attitude, Bowen would have never worn the S&B. With Finley gone, and Mason on the way out the door, I wouldn't object to Bell for vet min next year, assuming he works his way into shape again. I objected before because we had enough wing/guard vets with some miles on them. I know his defense may not be what it once was, but you're going to turn down a hard nosed defender who is a career 41% three point shooter?

Mel_13
03-21-2010, 11:07 AM
With that attitude, Bowen would have never worn the S&B. With Finley gone, and Mason on the way out the door, I wouldn't object to Bell for vet min next year, assuming he works his way into shape again. I objected before because we had enough wing/guard vets with some miles on them. I know his defense may not be what it once was, but you're going to turn down a hard nosed defender who is a career 41% three point shooter?

The Spurs in 2010 do not resemble the Spurs in 2001 and Bowen was an anomaly not likely to be replicated. Searching for a player like Bruce has only led to players like Udoka and Bogans.

The problem with adding a guy like Bell is that he's still good enough to play even though he's well past his best years. Minutes played by 34 old players are minutes not played by 24 year old players.

I'd prefer to see the Spurs fill the role player slots with younger players.

Flux451
03-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Does anyone know what kind of attitude does Bell carrys off court, in huddles, lockeroom? Wouldn't mind having him if he can show the youngesters a few things. I think we could get a decent amount of production from him. Wouldn't count on him to be a player stopper or anything.

exstatic
03-21-2010, 11:33 AM
The Spurs in 2010 do not resemble the Spurs in 2001 and Bowen was an anomaly not likely to be replicated. Searching for a player like Bruce has only led to players like Udoka and Bogans.

The problem with adding a guy like Bell is that he's still good enough to play even though he's well past his best years. Minutes played by 34 old players are minutes not played by 24 year old players.

I'd prefer to see the Spurs fill the role player slots with younger players.

Actually, 2001-2002 was a tear down year from the previous one, so in that respect, next year and that one are very much alike. We had just gotten destroyed by the Lakers and there was both an injection of toughness/defense (Bowen) and youth (Parker). I think you have to balance the two together. If you just bring in a bunch of youngsters, you wind up with an exciting, yet disorganized team that very well may miss the playoffs in the WC. We can't afford that in what may well be Duncan's final full season. Right now, the wings under contract for next year are: Hairston. That's it. I can GUARANTEE you that Pop will not just bring in a bunch of young projects. He's GOING to bring in a vet or vets. If you can guarantee me that a young guy is going to shoot 43.5%FG/41.1%3G and D-up and understand both the defensive and offensive system, I'm all over it. I don't see that happening though.

mogrovejo
03-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Does anyone know what kind of attitude does Bell carrys off court, in huddles, lockeroom? Wouldn't mind having him if he can show the youngesters a few things. I think we could get a decent amount of production from him. Wouldn't count on him to be a player stopper or anything.

One of the best reputations in the entire league.

Mel_13
03-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Right now, the wings under contract for next year are: Hairston.

RJ is still under contract and if Manu comes back, you have Parker, Hill, Manu, RJ, and Hairston as 5 perimeter players to cover from 7-9 roster slots depending on whether they field 13, 14, or 15 players. TP, Hill, Manu, and RJ would provide plenty of experience at the 1/2/3. You also still have TD and Dice on the roster. Plenty of vet experience on the squad.

Past experience says one of the remaining perimeter slots will be filled by a past his prime vet on a minimum contract. I get that, I'd just rather see them go with youth for the 6th, 7th, and 8th perimeter players.

Finally, the Bowen/Bell comparison fails. In the summer of 2001, Bowen had just turned 30 and was coming off a year in which he earned 2nd Team All-defense honors. Bell will turn 34 this summer and is coming off a year almost completely lost to injury.

So, I'll amend my earlier post. If the Spurs can sign a 30 year wing who earns All-Defense in 2009-10 for the vet minimum, then I'm for it. A 34 old Raja Bell, not so much.

Stringer_Bell
03-21-2010, 01:37 PM
I've always liked Raja, but he'll turn 34 before next season begins.

Damn, I had no idea how old he was. I figured late 28-30, but the dude has some miles on him. However, we went to BU too and was named a Freshman of the Year basketball player. BRING HIM ONBOARD! :toast

ChumpDumper
03-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Is Temple really considered a PG? Was this his natural position that he played in the D-League?He started out the Vipers' season almost exclusively at point guard. It was clearly a transition for him as his performance varied significantly from game to game. He did much better when the point duties were split between him and other guards. It's a matter of record that Pop likes guards who are able to bring up the ball at least some of the time, and Temple fits that bill. I don't think he has the impact potential that some of the other D-Leaguers have, but it's a decent signing at this point of the season.

exstatic
03-21-2010, 03:53 PM
RJ is still under contract and if Manu comes back, you have Parker, Hill, Manu, RJ, and Hairston as 5 perimeter players to cover from 7-9 roster slots depending on whether they field 13, 14, or 15 players. TP, Hill, Manu, and RJ would provide plenty of experience at the 1/2/3. You also still have TD and Dice on the roster. Plenty of vet experience on the squad.

Past experience says one of the remaining perimeter slots will be filled by a past his prime vet on a minimum contract. I get that, I'd just rather see them go with youth for the 6th, 7th, and 8th perimeter players.

Finally, the Bowen/Bell comparison fails. In the summer of 2001, Bowen had just turned 30 and was coming off a year in which he earned 2nd Team All-defense honors. Bell will turn 34 this summer and is coming off a year almost completely lost to injury.

So, I'll amend my earlier post. If the Spurs can sign a 30 year wing who earns All-Defense in 2009-10 for the vet minimum, then I'm for it. A 34 old Raja Bell, not so much.

Not an exact Bowen likeness, but probably closer than Bogans, although I like Keith. Raja is a MUCH better shooter than Keith.

W'ere differing on roster composition here. I see 4 bigs, 7 swings/wings, and two small guards. That's the Spurs roster composition recently. The way I see it, 3 of the 4 bigs are accounted for, and the two small guards are TP and Hill, and the currently signed swings/wings are Hairston and RJ (thanks for the catch). If we re-sign Manu, that STILL leaves 4 swings/wings to fill. You could re-sign Bogans AND sign Bell, and STILL have two spots for youngsters not named Hairston.

Mel_13
03-21-2010, 04:31 PM
Not an exact Bowen likeness, but probably closer than Bogans, although I like Keith. Raja is a MUCH better shooter than Keith.

W'ere differing on roster composition here. I see 4 bigs, 7 swings/wings, and two small guards. That's the Spurs roster composition recently. The way I see it, 3 of the 4 bigs are accounted for, and the two small guards are TP and Hill, and the currently signed swings/wings are Hairston and RJ (thanks for the catch). If we re-sign Manu, that STILL leaves 4 swings/wings to fill. You could re-sign Bogans AND sign Bell, and STILL have two spots for youngsters not named Hairston.

Well, I'd take Bell ahead of Bogans or Mason, but if we have Hill, Manu, Hairston, and RJ on the roster then I don't see the need for any of them. No matter how you count the slots on the roster, those 4 players should cover most of the rotation minutes at the 2/3. So we're talking about deep bench, inactive, and Dleague after those guys. Players like Bell and Bogans take rotation minutes from players like Hairston or grumble to their agents when they don't. Younger players can wave towels or play in Austin.

Now, if we're going to add a player who will actually get rotation minutes, then I'd want that player to physically resemble someone like Travis Outlaw, not Bogans, Mason, or Bell.

exstatic
03-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Well, I'd take Bell ahead of Bogans or Mason, but if we have Hill, Manu, Hairston, and RJ on the roster then I don't see the need for any of them. No matter how you count the slots on the roster, those 4 players should cover most of the rotation minutes at the 2/3. So we're talking about deep bench, inactive, and Dleague after those guys. Players like Bell and Bogans take rotation minutes from players like Hairston or grumble to their agents when they don't. Younger players can wave towels or play in Austin.

Now, if we're going to add a player who will actually get rotation minutes, then I'd want that player to physically resemble someone like Travis Outlaw, not Bogans, Mason, or Bell.

Oh, I like Outlaw, but you're not going to get Outlaw for anything approaching the minimum, and there's Manu and possibly Splitter to think about. Right now for 2010-2011: $54M 7 players no Manu no Splitter

Mason, I'm almost sure, will not be back. Pop doesn't like any hint of dissension or unhappiness to leak out of the locker room, and either Mase or his agent let that happen. I'll take Bell as a Mase replacement in a heartbeat. He'll come pretty cheap, too.

Mel_13
03-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Oh, I like Outlaw, but you're not going to get Outlaw for anything approaching the minimum, and there's Manu and possibly Splitter to think about. Right now for 2010-2011: $54M 7 players no Manu no Splitter

Mason, I'm almost sure, will not be back. Pop doesn't like any hint of dissension or unhappiness to leak out of the locker room, and either Mase or his agent let that happen. I'll take Bell as a Mase replacement in a heartbeat. He'll come pretty cheap, too.

I know we're not getting Outlaw, I said a player that physically resembles Outlaw. The mythical long SF.

We're going around in circles. If Hill, Manu, RJ, and Hairston are on the roster, I don't want a player like Bell, Bogans, or Mason on the depth chart behind them. Players like that take minutes from players like Hairston. We've had to watch too many players go from past their prime to past their usefulness (Finley, Van Exel, Vaughn, Udoka, and on and on).

If we have Hill, Manu, RJ, and Hairston and we can't find the long SF, then I'd much rather see the slots behind them filled with players whose best days are in the future, not in the past.