PDA

View Full Version : Spurs at Hawks Previews

duncan228
03-20-2010, 02:45 PM
San Antonio (41-26) at Atlanta (44-24) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2010032101&prov=ap)
Game info: 8:00 pm EDT Sun Mar 21, 2010
TV: ESPN, SS
By Matt Beardmore

The San Antonio Spurs’ last victory was impressive. A strong effort over the next five games would be even more so.

San Antonio opens a critical stretch Sunday night at Philips Arena, where it will go for its eighth straight victory over the Atlanta Hawks.

Coming off Wednesday’s 26-point loss at Orlando, the Spurs (41-26) routed Golden State 147-116 on Friday in their highest-scoring game since a 161-153 victory over Denver on Nov. 7, 1990.

“The win is more important than the points,” guard George Hill said.

San Antonio, which has won nine of 11, is seventh in the Western Conference. Upcoming games against Atlanta (44-24), Oklahoma City, the Los Angeles Lakers, Cleveland and Boston could make it difficult for the Spurs to improve their position.

“The last 15 (games) are going to be really rough, so it’s good to get a good win,” guard Manu Ginobili said after scoring 23 points with a season-high 11 assists in 22 minutes Friday. “We have a really rough back-to-back now with Atlanta and Oklahoma City. Good teams, strong at home.”

A last-second shot by Joe Johnson helped the Hawks defeat Charlotte 93-92 in overtime Friday for their fifth straight home win. Atlanta, though, has dropped three in a row at Philips Arena against San Antonio.

Tony Parker had 42 points and 10 assists in the Spurs’ last visit to Atlanta - a 102-92 win March 25 - but the three-time All-Star could be out the rest of the season with a broken right hand.

Parker sprained his left ankle in a 105-90 home win over Atlanta on Jan. 27, when Tim Duncan carried San Antonio with 21 points, a career-high 27 rebounds and six assists.

Duncan should be well rested for this matchup after scoring 17 points in 14 minutes Friday.

“It’s always good to see (the bench) play and get them more experience, and of course it’s good to get Manu and Timmy some rest,” coach Gregg Popovich said.

Ginobili and Duncan might need to play more against a Hawks team trying to make a push up the East standings.

The continued strong play from Johnson could help Atlanta make that move. After missing two games with Achilles’ tendinitis, the four-time All-Star scored 16 of his 18 points in the fourth quarter and overtime Friday, hitting the winner with 0.1 seconds left.

“Joe is a pro,” said coach Mike Woodson, whose team has won four of five and is four games behind Southeast Division-leading Orlando. “He’s an All-Star. He’s capable of making shots when he needs to.”

Johnson had 31 points Jan. 27 and is averaging 30.0 in the last three games in this series.

Hawks forward Josh Smith had 14 points, 16 rebounds and seven assists in the last meeting with the Spurs.

Atlanta’s last victory over San Antonio was 94-84 at home Dec. 10, 2005.

Team Stat Leaders

Joe Johnson Atl 21.4

Rebounds
Tim Duncan SA 10.3
Al Horford Atl 9.5

Assists
Tony Parker SA 5.7
Joe Johnson Atl 4.7

duncan228
03-20-2010, 07:47 PM
Spurs will bring familiar look against Hawks (http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/spurs-will-bring-familiar-388605.html)
By Ken Sugiura
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Not that playing San Antonio qualifies as any sort of break, but the Hawks will have an easier time preparing for their Sunday night game against the Spurs after playing Charlotte on Friday night.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, like Hawks coach Mike Woodson, had long stints serving as assistants to Bobcats coach Larry Brown.

There are "not a whole lot of adjustments [from Charlotte to San Antonio]," Woodson said. "From a defensive standpoint and rebounding, you're going to have to meet them head on because ‘Pop' is a Larry Brown clone. They've won their four titles by defending and rebounding and getting after you, and his teams haven't changed over the years."

Both Charlotte, whom the Hawks beat 93-92 in overtime Friday, and San Antonio are in the top seven in average points allowed and in the top 11 in defensive field goal percentage.

"We're going to have to play 48 minutes to beat them," Woodson said.

Injury updates: Forward Josh Smith and guard Mike Bibby did not practice Saturday in order to get treatment. Smith was hip-checked by Charlotte center Theo Ratliff as he tried to get around a pick, while Bibby was kneed in the thigh in the Hawks' loss to Toronto Wednesday. Both will play against San Antonio.

Hawks guard Joe Johnson practiced and said he felt good. Johnson had missed the previous two games resting his Achilles tendinitis.

Jordan watching: Center Al Horford on playing in front of Michael Jordan, who took in Friday's Bobcats-Hawks game from behind the Charlotte bench in his first game as the team owner.

"I saw him in the second half. I was pretty excited about it," he said. "I've never actually met him. I don't know him personally, and even though it's his team and all that, it's still exciting knowing that he's there taking time out of his day to watch us. You definitely want to look good in front of Mike."

Repeating the line: With 18 points, 11 rebounds, five assists and four steals against Charlotte, Smith compiled his second game with a stat line of at least 15 points, 10 rebounds, five assists and four steals for the second time this season. According to Elias Sports Bureau, Smith is the only player to do that twice this year, and only five other players have done it once.

SequSpur
03-21-2010, 12:02 AM
2 lines and a link.

shelshor
03-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Referee Assignments
Sun. Mar 21
San Antonio @ Atlanta: Ken Mauer; Sean Corbin; David Guthrie

DesignatedT
03-21-2010, 12:30 PM
for some reason i thought this game was a 2:30 tipoff

Mel_13
03-21-2010, 12:34 PM
2 lines and a link.

I've given duncan228 permission to keep posting non-Express-News articles as usual. We are working on a solution but in the meantime we'll keep it status quo.

duncan228
03-21-2010, 12:55 PM
San Antonio Spurs (41-26) at Atlanta Hawks (44-24) (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/21/1540113/san-antonio-spurs-41-26-at-atlanta.html)
By Sports Network

A pair of playoff-caliber teams get together this evening at Philips Arena in Atlanta, where the Hawks will try to snap a seven-game losing streak to the San Antonio Spurs.

The Spurs have also won 10 of the last 11 meetings with Atlanta, which hasn't defeated tonight's opponent since a 94-84 triumph back on December 10 of the 2005-06 campaign. San Antonio is unbeaten in its last three visits to Dixie and leads the all-time series 40-35, with the Hawks holding a 23-14 advantage in home games.

San Antonio is currently seventh in the Western Conference, just a half-game ahead of Portland, and has a tough stretch of games on the horizon against the Hawks, Thunder, Lakers, Cavs and Celtics. It is four games off the Southwest lead and posted a 147-116 drubbing of Golden State the last time out on Friday in the Alamo City. Manu Ginobili led the way with 23 points and a season-best 11 assists, while Richard Jefferson added 21 points and Tim Duncan ended with 17, six rebounds and five assists for the Spurs, who have won five of their last six games.

"We basically have the tough 15, the last 15 games are going to be rough," said Ginobili, who is averaging 19.6 points since the All-Star break. "It's good to get a win and have time to rest a little bit. We have a really rough back-to-back coming up in Atlanta and Oklahoma City. They are both good teams, strong at home so we are going to have to do very good against them."

The Spurs recorded their biggest point total since beating Denver, 161-153, on November 7, 1990, and got a career-best 16 points from Malik Hairston off the bench. Reserves Matt Bonner and DeJuan Blair both chipped in 14 points. San Antonio will visit the Thunder on Monday and is 16-16 away from the AT&T Center in 2009-10.

Atlanta will shoot for its sixth straight home win Sunday and is coming off Friday's thrilling 93-92 overtime victory versus the Charlotte Bobcats. Joe Johnson tied the game at the end of regulation and then made a 21-foot jumper as time expired in overtime, finishing with 18 points after missing the previous two games because of a strained Achilles.

"It felt great when it left my hand," Johnson said of his game-winning shot. "I couldn't even see the basket after I shot. But if felt so good, I pretty much knew it was in the bucket. I just got a clean look."

Josh Smith also contributed 18 points, 11 rebounds and five assists, and Jamal Crawford chipped in 16 points for the Hawks, winners of four of their last five games overall. Atlanta, which is 27-7 at home and four games off the Southeast lead, is fourth in the Eastern Conference standings, only a half- game behind No. 3 Boston.

Crawford, a leading candidate for Sixth Man of the Year, is averaging 20.5 points per game this month and leads the NBA in scoring among players that have not started a game.

DPG21920
03-21-2010, 12:55 PM
This would be a great win to build on. This is a team that can give the Spurs fits with their style and athleticism. Rebounding is a must in this game.

Gino2882
03-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Hopefully Blair gets some more minutes in this game. Problem is going to be Josh Smith.

Big game for the Spurs and on ESPN so I will be excited to watch this one tonight.

8FOR!3
03-21-2010, 01:53 PM
for some reason i thought this game was a 2:30 tipoff

A lot of places advertised it as so. I don't know if it was changed or what. Even on NBA 2K10 for today's games it says 3:30 Est.

tlongII
03-21-2010, 02:34 PM
This game and the Blazers @ Suns game are the biggest of the night.

nbaman99
03-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Just looked at the record, and with a win today we can move in to 5th place if I look at it right, since OKC losing to Indiana right now. So we need to get a win tonight and tomorrow.

siraulo23
03-21-2010, 03:45 PM
durant is having an off night vs the pacers

we have to win this game against atlanta

durant will bounce back on monday~

DesignatedT
03-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Just looked at the record, and with a win today we can move in to 5th place if I look at it right, since OKC losing to Indiana right now. So we need to get a win tonight and tomorrow.

i think that will require a phoenix loss against portland tonight as well, for us to move up to 5 in the standings after tonight.

DesignatedT
03-21-2010, 03:59 PM
durant is having an off night vs the pacers

we have to win this game against atlanta

durant will bounce back on monday~

atlanta is no pushover. should be a tough game on the road. they are just as good if not a better team than OKC.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-21-2010, 04:05 PM
If the Spurs can win tonight coupled with a hopeful loss from Phoenix against the Blazers, we could be in the 5th seed!

Flux451
03-21-2010, 05:15 PM
This game and the Blazers @ Suns game are the biggest of the night.

Don't forget the OKC game, which they lost.

Muser
03-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Have the clocks gone back in USA? Pistons game said it starts at 6 ET (11 Here) but it's only 10 over here and the Pistons game has started. :S