PDA

View Full Version : What a sad quote from Mahinmi...

toki9
03-20-2010, 05:41 PM
“I always root for a blowout,” said Mahinmi, the Spurs' backup backup center. “You get to that third quarter, you're up 20 or 30 — you start to think there's a chance you might get in.”

---

Sounds like he's given up on breaking the regular rotation...sad...

ffadicted
03-20-2010, 05:44 PM
:( Life sucks when you're making something just shy of 1 mil a year and you don't even have to do anything

greyforest
03-20-2010, 05:44 PM
he's not unless someone gets injured, he is still too noob

exstatic
03-20-2010, 05:48 PM
“I always root for a blowout,” said Mahinmi, the Spurs' backup backup center. “You get to that third quarter, you're up 20 or 30 — you start to think there's a chance you might get in.”

---

Sounds like he's given up on breaking the regular rotation...sad...

Uh, he wasn't going to make the rotation the second the Spurs passed on his option. Most people with a clue "got" that.

Fabbs
03-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Agree completely, what a sad testimony to sell out Pop.

Uh, he wasn't going to make the rotation the second the Spurs passed on his option. Most people with a clue "got" that.
Yet Mike Finley got 20 min per game from seasons beggining in 2008 til he dissolved his marriage to Pop and we were rid of him.

For what, so Ian and others sit, Bruce gets rejected and to shat on the Spurs in the end?

We get the clue. Collossal screw up by Dicktater Dick.

itzsoweezee
03-20-2010, 05:56 PM
it's not ian's fault he's stuck with a senile old coach that will never get past the first round the rest of his career. coattail-riding genius in his own mind popobitch would rather play richard jefferson as a power forward.

move on and contribute on a team with a real coach. ratliff got lucky and got out. ian will do the same next year.

Muser
03-20-2010, 05:58 PM
At least Pop is giving Hairston some decent minutes.

TIMMYD!
03-20-2010, 06:02 PM
I don't think Ian is going to be here next season so it shouldn't really matter.

Like Muser said, the only person that should matter is Hairston.

Xevious
03-20-2010, 06:03 PM
At least Pop is giving Hairston some decent minutes.
Hairston will go right back to the bench come playoff time. He's being broken in for next season, nothing more. Ian on the other hand, will hopefully find a team to sign him this offseason given his limited time on the court. Maybe a rebuilding team that will have minutes for a young, athletic center.

toki9
03-20-2010, 06:10 PM

Actually, the point wasn't whether I think Ian would have broken the rotation...the point is that the quote indicates that Ian has given up on competing for a spot in the regular rotation...and that's sad to see in a professional athlete--to have your competitive instinct squashed for whatever reason...i think competitiveness is one of the defining characteristics of a professional athlete...no matter what, mentally you have to believe that you can compete with anyone...

But perhaps that's why Pop doesn't give Ian any real court time...perhaps Pop judges Mahinmi to be mentally weak and so doesn't really respect him...I think Pop is your classic old school military guy...if he doesn't respect you, he won't give you time of the day...and Mahinmi's quote seems to indicate that he's mentally broken to a certain extent...

DesignatedT
03-20-2010, 06:19 PM
boo fucking hoo

slick'81
03-20-2010, 06:20 PM
lol its like hes five

santymrc
03-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Actually, the point wasn't whether I think Ian would have broken the rotation...the point is that the quote indicates that Ian has given up on competing for a spot in the regular rotation...and that's sad to see in a professional athlete--to have your competitive instinct squashed for whatever reason...i think competitiveness is one of the defining characteristics of a professional athlete...no matter what, mentally you have to believe that you can compete with anyone...

But perhaps that's why Pop doesn't give Ian any real court time...perhaps Pop judges Mahinmi to be mentally weak and so doesn't really respect him...I think Pop is your classic old school military guy...if he doesn't respect you, he won't give you time of the day...and Mahinmi's quote seems to indicate that he's mentally broken to a certain extent...

Fin's mind was broken the entire year, same with Mason. I don't agree with you. Pop thought Ian would show us how bad he is, and its not happening. It got to a point where he's being criticized couse Ian is not getting enough minutes and now he (Pop) doesn't know what to do. Thats IMO.

silverblk mystix
03-20-2010, 06:23 PM
i think that quote does not necessarily mean he has given up or is weak...

he is just a respectful young man who respects his coaches and teammates...he just wants to play...nothing wrong or weak minded in his attitude

Bruno
:rolleyes

Pop said 3 weeks ago that there were no way for Ian to be in the regular rotation and people blame him for "giving up". Lame...

superjames1992
it's not ian's fault he's stuck with a senile old coach that will never get past the first round the rest of his career. coattail-riding genius in his own mind popobitch would rather play richard jefferson as a power forward.

move on and contribute on a team with a real coach. ratliff got lucky and got out. ian will do the same next year.
LOL. :lmao

The Pop hate on this forum is hilarious. I don't know how a horrible coach could win four championships in nine years, but apparently some of you all think it's possible.

SenorSpur
03-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Even though he's far from a finished product, Ian is light years away from where he was when the Spurs drafted him as a 18 year old player in France. That only means that, up to this point, he's worked hard to develop his game. There hasn't been any indications that the kid is lazy or that he's dogging it. As long as he continues to work hard, there's no reason NOT to throw him a bone or two from time to time. The kid is only human. He wants to play. I'd worry if he didn't feel that way.

One thing is for sure, he'll be a rotation big in the NBA soon. It should be here in S.A. If he ends up somewhere else instead, THAT will be the sad part - and the coach will be the one to blame.

Fabbs
03-20-2010, 06:26 PM
LOL. :lmao

The Pop hate on this forum is hilarious. I don't know how a horrible coach could win four championships in nine years, but apparently some of you all think it's possible.
:lmao:lmao dunno, have the best roster and RealMVP for 7 of those 9 years?

HarlemHeat37
03-20-2010, 06:28 PM
I think Pop is a good coach, probably the best x's and o's guy in the NBA, but winning 4 titles doesn't mean that he doesn't make a lot of mistakes..shit, even Doc Rivers has a title..players win titles, especially when you have Tim Duncan/Manu Ginobili/Tony Parker/Bruce Bowen as your core..

There's nothing wrong with what Ian said..he said he likes seeing the Spurs get a 20-point lead so he can play, who wouldn't want to see their team win by 20+?..

I also hate when people bring up money..the fact that he's making money for "doing nothing" and STILL wants PT shows that he actually cares about basketball and wants to compete, it speaks volumes on how dedicated he is IMO..

I would be angry too if I didn't even have a chance to get PT this season..McDyess was absolutely useless for the entire 1st half of the season(he's still pretty useless now) and Bonner had a chance to break out of his long slump when he returned from injury, but Ian has never had a chance to get PT this season..

itzsoweezee
03-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Pop thought Ian would show us how bad he is, and its not happening.

yup. this was pretty clear when pop would call every single play for mahinmi when he actually got a chance to play. he's still doing it and ian is still producing.

santymrc
03-20-2010, 06:37 PM
yup. this was pretty clear when pop would call every single play for mahinmi when he actually got a chance to play. he's still doing it and ian is still producing.

Exactly my point.

spurs10
03-20-2010, 06:53 PM
His numbers look good....I'm sure somebody has taken notice...you'd think..

DPG21920
03-20-2010, 06:54 PM
People are mad that Ian wants to play? GTFOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

honestfool84
03-20-2010, 07:02 PM
awww. what a real tearjerker.

alchemist
03-20-2010, 07:28 PM
I think Pop is a good coach, probably the best x's and o's guy in the NBA, but winning 4 titles doesn't mean that he doesn't make a lot of mistakes..shit, even Doc Rivers has a title..players win titles, especially when you have Tim Duncan/Manu Ginobili/Tony Parker/Bruce Bowen as your core..

There's nothing wrong with what Ian said..he said he likes seeing the Spurs get a 20-point lead so he can play, who wouldn't want to see their team win by 20+?..

I also hate when people bring up money..the fact that he's making money for "doing nothing" and STILL wants PT shows that he actually cares about basketball and wants to compete, it speaks volumes on how dedicated he is IMO..

I would be angry too if I didn't even have a chance to get PT this season..McDyess was absolutely useless for the entire 1st half of the season(he's still pretty useless now) and Bonner had a chance to break out of his long slump when he returned from injury, but Ian has never had a chance to get PT this season..
If winning was based on just talent, the Suns and Mavs....shit even the Jail Blazers would have some :lobt: by now.

jermaine
03-20-2010, 07:53 PM
His numbers look good....I'm sure somebody has taken notice...you'd think..

I've noticed Ian. I want him 2 no he makes my rotation on 2k10 with the bench an in the 4th qtr as my pf under da 2min mark. I feel u Ian! I feel u!

Biernutz
03-20-2010, 08:10 PM

The Spurs have always had bench players who never play unless there is a 30 point blow out . I can't remember who was the bench player who had the least minutes per season. I would guess it was the China's movie stud bomber Mengker Bateer , Fat ass Jackie Butler or Jack Haley who was Dennis Rodmans kiss ass. What bar does Jackie bouncer at now?

underdawg
03-20-2010, 08:38 PM
not a sad quote - he wants to play and even though he looks timid and clumsy at times he always has the effort. The sad thing is that Malik and Ian probably will get a lot of playing time in the playoffs because we've been blown out. I still have hope that Pop figures a way out to work them into the rotation for different situations. You're fooling yourselves if you think we don't need either one of these guys.

easy7
03-20-2010, 08:57 PM
If that is your best, you best walk through... :hat

exstatic
03-20-2010, 08:59 PM
If winning was based on just talent, the Suns and Mavs....shit even the Jail Blazers would have some :lobt: by now.

That.

Faggs was babbling on about Pop having the most talented rosters, but that's frankly BS. The Spurs have always done more with less than the other top 5 teams at any given time. I think PHO had the most talent for the three seasons starting in 2004-2005 and ending 2006-2007, yet we won titles in 2 of those 3 years.

When this country ends, it'll be with a whimper of the kind of culture of the victim you see on display here. Oh yeah, of course Pop is hurting the team by holding back a player who's a budding All Star. Fucking idiots. :bang Ian doesn't play in "normal time" because he sucks. They run plays for him and he's successful in his long stretches because they come against fucking NEW JERSEY and GOLDEN STATE.

Dr. Gonzo
03-20-2010, 09:33 PM
That.

Faggs was babbling on about Pop having the most talented rosters, but that's frankly BS. The Spurs have always done more with less than the other top 5 teams at any given time. I think PHO had the most talent for the three seasons starting in 2004-2005 and ending 2006-2007, yet we won titles in 2 of those 3 years.

When this country ends, it'll be with a whimper of the kind of culture of the victim you see on display here. Oh yeah, of course Pop is hurting the team by holding back a player who's a budding All Star. Fucking idiots. :bang Ian doesn't play in "normal time" because he sucks. They run plays for him and he's successful in his long stretches because they come against fucking NEW JERSEY and GOLDEN STATE.

amen

ShoogarBear
03-20-2010, 10:54 PM
People are mad that Ian wants to play? GTFOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Even worse, he wants the Spurs to be up by 20!

UnWantedTheory
03-21-2010, 12:46 AM
Wow we have stooped so low this season as to take meaningless and simple statements out of context. We are just bored. There is nothing wrong with what the man said. Move on.

mingus
03-21-2010, 12:48 AM
That.

Budding all-star? seriously hard to take your post as a rebuttal when you're changing the arguments that you're attempting to argue against. i guess that's what people do when they dont' really have argument and just want to be contrary for the sake of it. contrary to their own fabricated opposing argument...

almost everybody is saying that they want to see him play. that's what i've been reading. i don't think i've read anybody definitively say that he's going to be awesome or make the Spurs significantly better or anything. they just want to see him play, based off of what they've seen him do in the little time he gets. as far as i'm concerned, you'd be bullshitting yourself if you don't think the same. to not have any inclination to want to see him against better comp. is a flat out lie. you're bullshitting yourself if you say you don't want to see Ian get more pt, esp. against better competition. it's as simple as that.

poop
03-21-2010, 02:17 AM
Ian is six - foot -eleven gigantic athletic negro with long ass arms and big hands and appears as if he were genetically engineered in a lab to play basketball, is only just now turned 23 years of age, has been payed already millions of dollars to play a silly ball game.life is good

pjjrfan
03-21-2010, 02:33 AM

I don't think he has given up, I think he has seen the writing on the wall and knows unless the team is down by 30 or up by 30 he isn't going to see any playing time. Or a couple of bigs get injured. I mean he doesn't run the team and judging by how he has been used, I don't see any reason for him to be optimistic about getting a regular role off the bench, so the best he can hope for is for blowouts, so he can, IMO, showcase his talents so that he can get picked up for next season.

Capt Bringdown
03-21-2010, 02:37 AM
...shit, even Doc Rivers has a title...

Phil Jackson's career doesn't have many low points, but getting beat by a grasping chancer like Rivers has to sting.

Remember in last year's PO against the Mavs when one of their scub bigs (I forgot exactly who), had some nice moments against us? Pop's coaching philosophy precludes that kind of contribution happening for us.

Pop's not a nuance kind of guy, it's all or nothing with him. He deems Ian not ready, for him it's a black or white, binary decision. Seems to me there's other possibilities.

Fabbs
03-21-2010, 03:10 AM
Budding all-star? seriously hard to take your post as a rebuttal when you're changing the arguments that you're attempting to argue against. i guess that's what people do when they dont' really have argument and just want to be contrary for the sake of it. contrary to their own fabricated opposing argument...

almost everybody is saying that they want to see him play. that's what i've been reading. i don't think i've read anybody definitively say that he's going to be awesome or make the Spurs significantly better or anything. they just want to see him play, based off of what they've seen him do in the little time he gets. as far as i'm concerned, you'd be bullshitting yourself if you don't think the same. to not have any inclination to want to see him against better comp. is a flat out lie. you're bullshitting yourself if you say you don't want to see Ian get more pt, esp. against better competition. it's as simple as that.
Nicely done.
As a side point to exstatics attempt to change the subject,
Timmy Dunkar MVP
Man From Nazr-Rasho in TallBall
Manu GNob healthy
Parker
Bruce Bowen
Brent Barrdog
Bob Horry
Are not as good as??

Stoudamire
Marion
Joe Johnson
Q Richerfag
Nash
Barbosa

:lmao:lmao you sir, need to go find a Phx Suns board to hang out on.

Waps1980
03-21-2010, 04:12 AM
We are not going to win the big prize this year anyway so why not give him minutes give TD some bloody help ffs. Last thing you want is to burn TD out. Let him coast the season out and try plan some big moves for next year.

+ nobody gets better without real playing time, I've heard all the at practice this and that but fact you need real playing time to improve. He holds all the cards to be what we need but can Pop turn him into that player.

spursbird
03-21-2010, 04:27 AM
I don't care. Neither would play in the playoffs.

mathbzh
03-21-2010, 05:56 AM
5 last games:
39 minutes
6 fouls, 0 Ast (this is the bad part)

33 points (62%)
11 rebounds
3 blocks
2TO

I know this was garbage time... but come on... Ian can't do anything more to prove he deserves playing time. No wonder why he sounds depressed...

boutons_deux
03-21-2010, 08:34 AM
The Spurs have badly screwed up Ian's career.

If they aren't going to play him (and they aren't), then waive him and let him have a chance to develop and play elsewhere, rather than just telling him that they won't pick up his option and parking him on the bench. They're insulting him by retaining him as practice meat.

jjktkk
03-21-2010, 09:31 AM
:lmao:lmao dunno, have the best roster and RealMVP for 7 of those 9 years?

Well thats how it usually works. Great coaches, great players. Phil Jackson/Michael Jordan. Pat Riley/Majic Johnson, etc.... Hey Fabbs, I'm kinda curious. Whats the difference between a real MVP and a fake MVP?

Fabbs
03-21-2010, 10:02 AM
Well thats how it usually works. Great coaches, great players. Phil Jackson/Michael Jordan. Pat Riley/Majic Johnson, etc.... Hey Fabbs, I'm kinda curious. Whats the difference between a real MVP and a fake MVP?
Real MVP: truly the best player in the NBA. Makes his teamates better.

Fake MVP, aka Media Valuable Player: Hyped up by media ad nauseum. Might have very good individual talent, but in no way shape or form is truly best player in NBA.

Kome Bryant 2008 had a good year of course, but this puss being gifted Gasol and the endless joke ref calls he and the Marketing Lakers get colluded. No way did he have a better year then LeBron at 30/7.9/7.2 with defense. LeBron trying to get by with aging Z and company.

Dirk 2007 over Timmy Dunkar another joke.

Nash had excellent years but in no way, shape or form did he exceed Timmy Dunks in 2004 and 2005. If the Spurs do not have a moron for a coach they may well have threepeated. Certainly would have done a repeat.

jjktkk
03-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Real MVP: truly the best player in the NBA. Makes his teamates better.

Fake MVP, aka Media Valuable Player: Hyped up by media ad nauseum. Might have very good individual talent, but in no way shape or form is truly best player in NBA.

Kome Bryant 2008 had a good year of course, but this puss being gifted Gasol and the endless joke ref calls he and the Marketing Lakers get colluded. No way did he have a better year then LeBron at 30/7.9/7.2 with defense. LeBron trying to get by with aging Z and company.

Dirk 2007 over Timmy Dunkar another joke.

Nash had excellent years but in no way, shape or form did he exceed Timmy Dunks in 2004 and 2005. If the Spurs do not have a moron for a coach they may well have threepeated. Certainly would have done a repeat.

LOL, have to rib yea alittle on the real/fake MVP question. And on the 3peat, it hasn't been done I believe since the Lakers in the 80's. And if you think Pop's a moron, I hope coach Moron isn't leaving anytime soon.

Chomag
03-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Another mistake by Pops........besides not getting Splitter the last two season, who the spurs were counting on.......we are gonna lose Ian at the end of the year and will regret it.

He has all the upside you look for in a big, Pops has just be so spoild by having Robinson and Duncan, he has no idea how to develop a big! You can see when Ian gets 10-13 mins he puts up solid numbers. I know he makes some foolish mistakes, but so does every young player. He just needs game time to develop.

Instead we have worn out Duncan prior to the playoffs, invested in Dice who in no way fits our system or needs and through a hell of alot of money at a good SF who needs to play up tempo to be at his best.

Pops for all the things he has done well has all but assured TD has won his last ring by failing to get Splitter and give Ian time. I like blair but he doesnt have the upside of Ian yet we put him out there even starting him for 20 games while Ian sits.

Does anyone else remeber TD as a rookie turning the ball over 5-7 times a game? Commiting dumb fouls......making a spectacular play one min and then giving a head scratcher??? Ian will develop into a double double guy........just not for us.

Exactly, its pretty lame that people are shatting on him every time the guy misses a shot, turns the ball over, or commits a foul. Like he is the first NBA player to ever do so.

When Manu was playing so poorly early in the season Poeple would say "He is just needs to work himself into his rhythm" So Manu gets time to do so but someone like Ian cant.

The Kid makes mistakes yes, its called developing. He has been producing more then he has been making those mistakes in the little time given to him. Show me 1 young player and even old that doesnt make the same mistakes.

CarnacTheMagnificent
03-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Another mistake by Pops........besides not getting Splitter the last two season, who the spurs were counting on.......we are gonna lose Ian at the end of the year and will regret it.

He has all the upside you look for in a big, Pops has just be so spoild by having Robinson and Duncan, he has no idea how to develop a big!
Yeah, that Duncan character never developed.

Instead we have worn out Duncan prior to the playoffs...
yeah, he's worn out from playing the least minutes in his career...

invested in Dice who in no way fits our system or needs and through a hell of alot of money at a good SF who needs to play up tempo to be at his best. [\quote]

Yeah, Dice can rebound, pass and play outside to let Tim work in the post. We can't have that anymore! And the last thing we need is a athletic swingman for this halfcourt team. We should have kept Finley.

[quote]Pops for all the things he has done well has all but assured TD has won his last ring by failing to get Splitter and give Ian time. I like blair but he doesnt have the upside of Ian yet we put him out there even starting him for 20 games while Ian sits.[\quote]
We can't just sign whoever we want. There's a thing called a salary cap. This isnt fantasy basketball.
Yeah, and the consensus around the league is that Ian has more upside than Blair. Blair has no rebounding skill and absolutely no feel for the game.
everyone agrees blair is a scrub.

[quote]Does anyone else remeber TD as a rookie turning the ball over 5-7 times a game? Commiting dumb fouls......making a spectacular play one min and then giving a head scratcher??? Ian will develop into a double double guy........just not for us.
Yeah, there are many similarities between a young duncan and a young ian. Tim Duncan certainly didn't come out of the draft as the most polished bigman since Hakeem.

Please Texas 2 step, teach us more!

TheSullyMonster
03-21-2010, 12:34 PM
And on the 3peat, it hasn't been done I believe since the Lakers in the 80's.

Michael Jordan, Shaq and Phil Jackson say hi.:lol In fact, Jordan says hi twice.

A threepeat has happened -wait for it- three times since the 80s.

00-02, Lakers.
96-98, Bulls.
91-93, Bulls.

Damn dude, where the hell have you been?:wow

Oh, and uh. The Lakers didn't 3-peat in the 80s.:lmao

DPG21920
03-21-2010, 12:53 PM
That.

Same thing you said about Malik with your dumb arguments about putting him in against Nash with 3 seconds left. Now you look foolish because of your agenda.

Cane
03-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Whats sad is that Ian couldn't sell himself a rotation spot over a rookie despite being under the Spurs umbrella for years.

But I want him to play since it'd mean the Spurs are blowing out their opponents.

will_spurs
03-21-2010, 01:09 PM

I am eagerly waiting for your posts in the next couple of years when Mahinmi plays well for other team. You will probably tell us then what fools the FO were, yadda yadda yadda.

DPG21920
03-21-2010, 01:21 PM
I am eagerly waiting for your posts in the next couple of years when Mahinmi plays well for other team. You will probably tell us then what fools the FO were, yadda yadda yadda.

That is not even the point. The point is his logic and agenda has been proven intellectually dishonest at best.

It is far from certain Ian will be in the NBA next year and that he can play in this league. In fact, the odds are probably not in his favor. But anyone who has watched him play knows that he has shown enough to warrant minutes and a chance to fail.

In his limited minutes, he looks like an NBA level player.

rascal
03-21-2010, 01:27 PM
We are not going to win the big prize this year anyway so why not give him minutes give TD some bloody help ffs. Last thing you want is to burn TD out. Let him coast the season out and try plan some big moves for next year.

+ nobody gets better without real playing time, I've heard all the at practice this and that but fact you need real playing time to improve. He holds all the cards to be what we need but can Pop turn him into that player.

I've been saying this all year. The spurs need to shore up the frontline and giving Ian some run now will either make him an improved player or the spurs need to give up on him.

Libri
03-21-2010, 01:35 PM

I bet Ian is thinking about the upcoming New Jersey game.

Obstructed_View
03-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Whats sad is that Ian couldn't sell himself a rotation spot over a rookie despite being under the Spurs umbrella for years.

But I want him to play since it'd mean the Spurs are blowing out their opponents.

What's sad is that Spurs players can't seem to sell themselves despite contributing and outplaying their competition. They simply have to wait until they become Pop's favorite player to get a chance.

DesignatedT
03-21-2010, 04:12 PM
:lol now were getting young duncan and young ian comparisons? please people. c'mon

mathbzh
03-21-2010, 04:19 PM
:lol now were getting young duncan and young ian comparisons? please people. c'mon

:lol

mingus
03-21-2010, 04:52 PM

yeah, seriously, Ian isn't the next Tim Duncan; he's the next Ian Mahinmi.

just kiddin' guys.

exstatic
03-21-2010, 04:53 PM

And NBA Live 2010 smack. :rollin He can take a lob in a video game!!!