PDA

View Full Version : Too much Bonner killed us

Amuseddaysleeper
03-21-2010, 09:54 PM
He had a nice a basket and 3 towards the end of regulation but had no business whatsoever in OT. McDyess was glued to the bench when he was one of the better players for the Spurs tonight. Pop needs to consider sticking to the front office because his rotations are atrocious.

Spurs Brazil
03-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Bonner made some nice plays but his poor effort on the boards killed us

spursfaninla
03-21-2010, 09:57 PM
This is an EXCELLENT rebounding team, bonner is just not going to be able to hold his own. You can't have everything; dice does not give the spacing that Bonner does.

You have to sometimes count on your guys that are open. Jordan did more than once for the game winner in playoff games.

HarlemHeat37
03-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Bonner wasn't the reason that the Spurs lost IMO, although I agree he made some crucial mistakes..I do agree McDyess should have played more though..

Hill was absolutely horrible on both ends of the floor..Jefferson missed crucial rotations on Horford when Duncan went to trap on the baseline, leading to 2 clutch jump shots from Horford..stupid turnovers all over the place for the Spurs..Duncan with some stupid subtle mistakes and Manu choking down the stretch in regulation..refs were horrible in Atlanta's favor..

Oh, and obviously can't forget Centerpiece getting torched and missing 3 wide open 3s..

mingus
03-21-2010, 09:58 PM
i'll reiterate what i've said before: Gregg Popovich has been the biggest dissapointment out of anyone this season. unbelievable how Bonner sees this much time. the announcers said the Spurs were losing second chance points 13 to 26. no shit sherlock.

Popovich is full of himself.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-21-2010, 09:59 PM
McDyess had 16 rebounds in 10 minutes, Bonner only hit 2 3's in 32.

It's no contest really. Pop is a moron

mingus
03-21-2010, 10:00 PM
it's a disgrace that they're asking Duncan to be the sole defensive presence dow low.

DPG21920
03-21-2010, 10:01 PM
This thread is so full of "wrong" it is not even funny.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-21-2010, 10:02 PM
it's a disgrace that they're asking Duncan to be the sole defensive presence dow low.

They've been asking that from 2008 onward.

And I'm not saying Bonner is the biggest cultprit, but McDyess would've prevented a lot of 2nd chance points, and in a game that went to OT, that's huge.

I also agree that Hill and Jefferson sucked. I also love how Pop plays Hairston only for 4 min a game during the most crucial possessions, but refuses to give him enough time to get any rhythm going.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-21-2010, 10:03 PM

No, it's not, Bonner was so invisible after regulation that the Spurs were playing 4 on 5 out there. Jefferson and Hill didn't help much, but when you're relying on Matt Bonner to play 30+ minutes you deserve nothing but the lottery.

DPG21920
03-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Yes, it is.

Shastafarian
03-21-2010, 10:04 PM
It does make sense, when getting murdered on the offensive boards, to play small lineups with a guy who gets 6 rebounds total at PF and sit a guy who got 10 boards in 16 less minutes. I mean, ya gotta spread the floor.

Muser
03-21-2010, 10:04 PM

Not really, Spurs got skullfucked on the offensive glass & McDyess was a rebounding machine in his limited minutes, you put McDyess over Bonner and Atlanta don't get that many offensive put backs.

Shastafarian
03-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Not really, Spurs got skullfucked on the offensive glass & McDyess was a rebounding machine in his limited minutes, you put McDyess over Bonner and Atlanta don't get that many offensive put backs.

FALSE.

One must spread the floor.

DJB
So true.

Muser
By no means am I saying I don't want Bonner in there, but McDyess should of gotten some of his minutes.

DPG21920
03-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Bonner was not even close to the problem. You put Dice in and you lose points on offense. It all adds up.

There were problems, but to say the Spurs lost bc of too much Bonner is very off base.

Amuseddaysleeper
It does make sense, when getting murdered on the offensive boards, to play small lineups with a guy who gets 6 rebounds total at PF and sit a guy who got 10 boards in 16 less minutes. I mean, ya gotta spread the floor.

But Bonner isn't Ray Allen, did you see how badly he clanked that last 3 with the perfect pass from Duncan? The Spurs were brutal on 3's most of the night, I'd sacrifice 2 threes so I could get additional defensive boards instead of giving up 40 offensive rebounds because my PF gets as many boards as my SF (Jefferson).

DJB
We were getting worked on the glass that entire second half, yet Popp still chose to play Bonner all the minutes that he did. So typical.

Shastafarian
By no means am I saying I don't want Bonner in there, but McDyess should of gotten some of his minutes.

FALSE.

Centerpiece had to play a majority of the 4th. With Jefferson in there too there is no room for people who rebound.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Bonner was not even close to the problem. You put Dice in and you lose points on offense. It all adds up.

There were problems, but to say the Spurs lost bc of too much Bonner is very off base.

No no no, The Spurs gave up like 20 points because of offensive boards, McDyess could've given the Spurs more possessions. It's not like Bonner had 25 points, but only got 2 rebounds, he was useless. He had no business in OT, whatsoever.

senorglory
go **** yourselves.

:bang

Shastafarian
But Bonner isn't Ray Allen, did you see how badly he clanked that last 3 with the perfect pass from Duncan? The Spurs were brutal on 3's most of the night, I'd sacrifice 2 threes so I could get additional defensive boards instead of giving up 40 offensive rebounds because my PF gets as many boards as my SF (Jefferson).

You need to check your sarcasm-o-meter.

My Fault
03-21-2010, 10:08 PM

Blaming Bonner, Bogans and Pop are what all the kids are doing. :tu

Hemotivo
McDyess > Bonner, even when you need "spread the floor"

D > Offense

Amuseddaysleeper
You need to check your sarcasm-o-meter.

:lol my bad

Shastafarian

Simple question without a motive: Did you watch the game?

DesignatedT
03-21-2010, 10:09 PM
rebounds killed us tonight... thats it...

still, if we had tony tonight this would have been a W for sure.

Aggie Hoopsfan
Hawks got 21 offensive boards, leading to 17 more FG attempts on the night.

Dice should have gotten about 10 of Bonner's minutes tonight, and the Spurs would have won going away.

TIMMYD!
McDyess had 16 rebounds in 10 minutes, Bonner only hit 2 3's in 32.

It's no contest really. Pop is a moron

'Dice had 10 in 16.

And Pop is a moron.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-21-2010, 10:10 PM
Hawks got 21 offensive boards, leading to 17 more FG attempts on the night.

Dice should have gotten about 10 of Bonner's minutes tonight, and the Spurs would have won going away.

Exactly, it's not rocket science. :tu

Bonner isn't shooting a high enough percentage to justify his stay in the court. He is so inconsistent and streaky it's not even funny. It's only gonna get worse closer to playoff time.

SaTownFan
03-21-2010, 10:11 PM

Scoring was not even close to the problem. When you give up over 20 offensive boards, you deserve to lose. Its really sad to see Tim have to fight all by himself to rebound because Pop wants to space the floor with Bonner. When you play Bonner that many minutes you deserve to lose! He's a decent player, but his 1 or 2 threes do not make up for lack of defense and lack of rebounding.

Shastafarian
I don't even care about Bonner at this point. Bogans got 25 minutes. Anyone who was watching the game should be appalled at that statistic. Meanwhile Dice got 17 minutes. :tu

mexicanjunior
Mcdyess would have helped stop that offensive rebounding embarrassment...Bonner's 3 or 4 shots did not make up for Horford breaking this team's back on the glass.

crc21209
03-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Eh not gonna put this L on Bonner, he nutted up when the time came in the 4th with a big 3 and the drive inside...

Hemotivo
03-21-2010, 10:13 PM
the refs really hate Bogans

crc21209
I don't even care about Bonner at this point. Bogans got 25 minutes. Anyone who was watching the game should be appalled at that statistic. Meanwhile Dice got 17 minutes. :tu

+1. Bogans really didnt defend Joe Johnson well at all....RJ even seemed to do a better job...

mexicanjunior

His defense consists of reaching in while a player is shooting and waiting for the whistle to blow...should be getting Mahinmi type minutes at best.

spurtech09
turnovers and the refs......thats what killed the spurs tonight against the hawks.....if the spurs don't turnover the ball almost at the end of the 4th quarter spurs win....spurs beat themselves tonight

Muser
Funny how the Spurs go out to get McDyess/Blair to give Duncan help on the glass, and then in a game where we are getting killed they are stuck on the pine.

Shastafarian

Everyone should hate Bogans. He sucks in multiple capacities.

Man In Black
03-21-2010, 10:15 PM
See this is the kind of reactionary bs this board was called out for. The Spurs could've won this game. They had done a great job, despite the refs, of moving the ball to their 2 best players, and you have to give credit to Horford for making a huge defensive play on reading Ginobili's short lob to Duncan. Sometimes, you have to give your opponent credit.
Had the Spurs have won, we wouldn't be reading shit like this. We'd be talking about how awesome D & G played and how even though, we're undermanned without the 3rd Big 3, the team is still finding a way to get shit done. But because of the loss...we're reduced to Pop Haters saying that Pop lost this game? I saw a very animated Pop fighting for his team, arguing for refs to give his team some credit, making his stand right to the line that, if crossed, you get T'd up. McDyess over Bonner? Hubie Brown explained it well enough. You don't get the spacing with Dice that you do with Bonner. Now, you might think that that's BS but truthfully, how many times did you see Ginobili get to the rim tonight? Much of that credit goes to the spacing created by 3 point threats. That extra 3 feet makes a world of difference. In that case, that means Pop is trading overall offensive efficiency for defense and interior rebounding, and if his stars would've gotten 2 more calls on heavily challenged(OK fouled) drives, we could be talking about a different outcome.

Amuseddaysleeper

I hope that's the case, I hope Bogans just gets ejected everytime he steps on the court, because then the Spurs play would improve greatly.

Also, not to go off topic, but Dejuan Blair has completely come back down to earth. That technical really hurt.

My Fault
Simple question without a motive: Did you watch the game?

Yes but seems unlike you I actually know a thing or two about basketball. Now answer me this do you actually understand basketball beyond a statline?

easy7
03-21-2010, 10:16 PM
I agree.

Shastafarian
03-21-2010, 10:17 PM
See this is the kind of reactionary bs this board was called out for. The Spurs could've won this game. They had done a great job, despite the refs, of moving the ball to their 2 best players, and you have to give credit to Horford for making a huge defensive play on reading Ginobili's short lob to Duncan. Sometimes, you have to give your opponent credit.
Had the Spurs have won, we wouldn't be reading shit like this. We'd be talking about how awesome D & G played and how even though, we're undermanned without the 3rd Big 3, the team is still finding a way to get shit done. But because of the loss...we're reduced to Pop Haters saying that Pop lost this game? I saw a very animated Pop fighting for his team, arguing for refs to give his team some credit, making his stand right to the line that, if crossed, you get T'd up. McDyess over Bonner? Hubie Brown explained it well enough. You don't get the spacing with Dice that you do with Bonner. Now, you might think that that's BS but truthfully, how many times did you see Ginobili get to the rim tonight? Much of that credit goes to the spacing created by 3 point threats. That extra 3 feet makes a world of difference. In that case, that means Pop is trading overall offensive efficiency for defense and interior rebounding, and if his stars would've gotten 2 more calls on heavily challenged(OK fouled) drives, we could be talking about a different outcome.

Gotta spread the floor.

alchemist
:worthy:

Amuseddaysleeper

Bonner isn't Robert Horry. He was WIDE open on his last 3, and bricked it terribly. The Spurs gave up 20 offensive rebounds, and McDyess would've lowered that number greatly. The Spurs weren't getting stops when it mattered, and while McDyess ain't no Bowen, he sure as hell would've done better than Bonner.

Sorry, but Pop arguing with the refs doesn't give him a pass on a pathetic rotation pattern.

ploto

Bonner had 10 points in 33 minutes.

Dice had 4 points in 16 minutes.

Not a good game to claim that Bonner's points were worth his awful rebounding, especially on a night that we were getting killed on the offensive glass.

Shastafarian
03-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Yes but seems unlike you I actually know a thing or two about basketball. Now answer me this do you actually understand basketball beyond what a statline?

I only asked a simple question yet you felt the need to get insulted. A shame. I was asking because my follow up question is this: What did Bogans do to deserve 25 minutes of playing time?

Amuseddaysleeper
03-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Bonner had 10 points in 33 minutes.

Dice had 4 points in 16 minutes.

Not a good game to claim that Bonner's points were worth his awful rebounding, especially on a night that we were getting killed on the offensive glass.

Come on guys, even ploto gets it :toast

SaTownFan
03-21-2010, 10:19 PM

The spacing seemed just fine with mcdyess out there in the first quarter when they scored 33 pts.

TDMVPDPOY
03-21-2010, 10:20 PM
pop in love with small ball and the 3pter...fck this

Shastafarian
So basically there are two camps.

1) Pop's rotations were terrible considering the Spurs were getting killed on the boards + Bogans should never ever play again

and

2) Pop is fine. The refs fucked the Spurs tonight and everything is ok with playing these guys the minutes they are accruing.

mexicanjunior
Sorry, but Pop arguing with the refs doesn't give him a pass on a pathetic rotation pattern.

+1

I wouldn't give a shit if he coached from the locker room as long as it meant he would make proper decisions on the lineup. If you are getting killed on the glass, you put in a rebounder...if someone is lighting up your "centerpiece" you take him out and try something else...

Pop is doing his best to coach himself out of a job...simple as that.

Muser

Most of Manu's points came when he was switched onto Smith IIRC.

Also 20 offensive rebounds, I don't care if you spread the floor that's a damn disgrace.

ploto
The thing that so many people do not seem to realize is that Robert Horry was a good defender. He was so much more than just a guy to make 3's and spread the floor. He was in games for multiple reasons.

Shastafarian
03-21-2010, 10:21 PM

Did you also catch Hubie say something to the effect of, "Now see, the Spurs are getting manhandled on the offensive glass tonight. That did not happen in the past." Did you catch that? I did.

senorglory
03-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Live by the Manu, Die by the Manu. At least, that's how it broke tonight.

Man In Black
03-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Bonner isn't Robert Horry. He was WIDE open on his last 3, and bricked it terribly. The Spurs gave up 20 offensive rebounds, and McDyess would've lowered that number greatly. The Spurs weren't getting stops when it mattered, and while McDyess ain't no Bowen, he sure as hell would've done better than Bonner.

You are just making a straight up supposition. I agree, he missed a pressure packed shot in Atlanta's arena. We could make that supposition that McDyess gets more board. But at the same time, had Horford not made that stunning play....WOULD YOU BE BITCHING ABOUT THE OFFENSE FOR DEFENSE ROTATION?
Suppose Ginobili's pass gets there like it had about 3 times before? Would you?

Amuseddaysleeper
The thing that so many people do not seem to realize is that Robert Horry was a good defender. He was so much more than just a guy to make 3's and spread the floor. He was in games for multiple reasons.

Exactly, if Bonner isn't hitting shots (and most of the time he isn't unless it's against lottery teams) he is completely useless. I'm not even mad at Bonner, I'm mad at Pop for playing so much Bonner. Bonner is trying out there, but he is barely 10 mpg material, let alone 30.

Shastafarian

FALSE.

Matt Bonner is the same player as Robert Horry. Anyone who says differently is a coward and traitor and doesn't deserve to be a Spurs fan.

SaTownFan

Completely agree.

Shastafarian
03-21-2010, 10:23 PM
You are just making a straight up supposition. I agree, he missed a pressure packed shot in Atlanta's arena. We could make that supposition that McDyess gets more board. But at the same time, had Horford not made that stunning play....WOULD YOU BE BITCHING ABOUT THE OFFENSE FOR DEFENSE ROTATION?

Yeah I would. Why? Because I would've still realized Bogans played 25 minutes.

Baseline
03-21-2010, 10:23 PM
I agree that small ball killed us tonight. We had the lead in the last two minutes, so what we needed was defensive rebounding. Yet Pop played small ball with RJ at the 4, and Boguns in the game, which to me is always a bad idea.

With a 4-point lead and just over a minute left, our five on the floor were Tim, Manu, Hill, RJ, and Boguns. How exactly are we supposed to get a crucial rebound with that lineup - against the Hawks?

Dyess can hit that 18-footer in the clutch, so he needs to be in that game at crunchtime. Even though Dyess is old, he's the most athletic big we have who actually plays. Obviously Pop won't play Ian, so unfortunately I can't count him as a big.

Nice going, Pop.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-21-2010, 10:24 PM

If the Spurs had own tonight, my thread title would've read "Too Much Bonner tonight". If McDyess had rebounded more, which he was on great pace to do so, the Hawks would've gotten like 10 less shots. In a game that went to OT, that is a huge difference.

The Hawks took 17 more shots than the Spurs.

Man In Black
03-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Did you also catch Hubie say something to the effect of, "Now see, the Spurs are getting manhandled on the offensive glass tonight. That did not happen in the past." Did you catch that? I did.
Didn't hear that. That must have been during the time, I PIP'ed to the Health Care Vote.
This game could've gone Silver & Black. Putting Dyess in, doesn't ensure that it would have. It is what it is...let's get to the next episode.

SaTownFan
03-21-2010, 10:25 PM

If McDyess had played more, Horford wouldnt have gotten so many offensive boards and the Hawks might not of come back.

Shastafarian
03-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Didn't hear that. That must have been during the time, I PIP'ed to the Health Care Vote.
This game could've gone Silver & Black. Putting Dyess in, doesn't ensure that it would have. It is what it is...let's get to the next episode.

Obviously it wouldn't ensure a win. But it gives the team a better chance to win because McDyess can rebound better than Bonner. Hell keep Bonner in and just take Bogans out. Something that gets Bogans off the floor.

Brazil
03-21-2010, 10:28 PM
We can explain the Bonner minutes by spacing needs.

Now somebody explains to me why BOGANS played 25 minutes ? why ? Even in the french BB league (and god knows this league sucks) Bogan doesn't deserve 25 minutes.

SenorSpur

That is a big part of the problem.

benefactor
Bonner did play too much, but a variety of things lost this game...namely the fact that this team is still not playing 48 minutes of basketball. It's starting to look like they never will.

Shastafarian
03-21-2010, 10:29 PM
We can explain the Bonner minutes by spacing needs.

Now somebody explains to me why BOGANS played 25 minutes ? why ? Even in the french BB league (and god knows this league sucks) Bogan doesn't deserve 25 minutes.

Give this man a spur

My Fault
03-21-2010, 10:29 PM
I only asked a simple question yet you felt the need to get insulted. A shame. I was asking because my follow up question is this: What did Bogans do to deserve 25 minutes of playing time?
I follow a question with a question and I'm insulted? This is a thread about Bonner and I was merely pointing out that after every lost no matter who was responsible its the same people blamed for no other reason other than its the thing to do. Bogans played bad yes but so did Hill. Don't get me wrong Hill is one of my favorite Spurs but he played bad. The starting PG has to play better for the team to thrive.

Hemotivo
03-21-2010, 10:30 PM
The spacing seemed just fine with mcdyess out there in the first quarter when they scored 33 pts.

:wakeup

Shastafarian
03-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Yes but seems unlike you I actually know a thing or two about basketball. Now answer me this do you actually understand basketball beyond a statline?

I follow a question with a question and I'm insulted? This is a thread about Bonner and I was merely pointing out that after every lost no matter who was responsible its the same people blamed for no other reason other than its the thing to do. Bogans played bad yes but so did Hill. Don't get me wrong Hill is one of my favorite Spurs but he played bad. The starting PG has to play better for the team to thrive.

You seem pretty insulted with that line. The same people get blamed for a reason. Ever think of that?

santymrc
03-21-2010, 10:34 PM

I hate Bogans. I just hate him, I can't stand him anymore in our team. I hate him, I wish him the best tho, but OUT OF THE SPURS.
I can't understand why Pop plays him. He can't stop anyone, NOT EVEN ONE, not even slowing them, he just brings nothing to SA. GTFO Bogans.

yavozerb
03-21-2010, 10:37 PM
:stfu...I hate stupid threads like this blaming the entire loss on one player. The guy hit some big 3's and yes he missed some defensive rotations (like every other spurs did as well a couple of times).

mexicanjunior
03-21-2010, 10:40 PM
:stfu...I hate stupid threads like this blaming the entire loss on one player. The guy hit some big 3's and yes he missed some defensive rotations (like every other spurs did as well a couple of times).

I blame Pop more than I blame Bonner. The guy tries hard and is a useful rotation player but his coach always seems to put him in an overall position to fail.

My Fault
03-21-2010, 10:41 PM
You seem pretty insulted with that line. The same people get blamed for a reason. Ever think of that?

Sure but I know better. The team made bad decisions on the defensive end down the stretch. GHill played bad again by playing to passive. Its a team game and the team blew it.

Shastafarian
03-21-2010, 10:42 PM
Sure but I know better. The team made bad decisions on the defensive end down the stretch. GHill played bad again by playing to passive. Its a team game and the team blew it.

Did Bogans deserve 25 minutes tonight?

whottt
03-21-2010, 10:43 PM
More Malik Hairston less Keith Bogans :tu

Bonner didn't play that bad, yes he choked, but he does that enough to where it shouldn't be considered choking since it is what he always does. Ditto subpar rebounding. McDyess hasn't exactly been spectacular in fourth quarters this year himself.

All things considered, this might have been the clutchest performance of Matt Bonner's career. Seriously.

TD 21
03-21-2010, 10:44 PM
Playing on national TV killed the Spurs, playing against a credible team killed the Spurs, playing on the road killed the Spurs, playing in a tight game down the stretch killed the Spurs, the Spurs killed the Spurs, it's always something. The first one in particular, this team loves to embarrass themselves on national TV. No wonder the majority of non Spurs fans have constantly taken shots at this team for about three years now. Wouldn't you think a team is a joke if they looked as bad as this team does almost every time you saw them play?

This team is a bunch of (seemingly) good guys and a talented group, but they're a bunch of fucking losers. We've seen this situation occur repeatedly this season and here we are in game number 67 and still no change? That tells us, inexplicably (because the pieces should be in place to pull out these types of game at at minimum a decent rate), that this group just can't get it done in tight games and this is why they're more than likely going to be eliminated in the first round within' 6 games at most. If you can't win close games, then you're not going anywhere in the playoffs.

yavozerb
03-21-2010, 10:45 PM

No..But who else are you going to play? Hairston is not the answer, yes maybe he could have played about 3-5 more minutes but he is not much better and cannot shoot the 3..

mexicanjunior
03-21-2010, 10:45 PM
All things considered, this might have been the clutchest performance of Matt Bonner's career. Seriously.

His game in Boston last year trumps this one...

Shastafarian
03-21-2010, 10:47 PM
No..But who else are you going to play? Hairston is not the answer, yes maybe he could have played about 3-5 more minutes but he is not much better and cannot shoot the 3..

:rollin :lmao

This implies Bogans can. Hold on for a second...

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

mexicanjunior
No..But who else are you going to play? Hairston is not the answer

Why not? He is quicker, longer, more athletic and a better rebounder than Bogans. Had Hairston played all of Bogans minutes, this game would have been much easier...

My Fault

Already answered that. Duncan blew a critical rotation and had a critical turnover on a inbounce play. Hill played bad on both ends. Manu also had a critical turnover. Like I said a team effort. Carelessness with the ball and D down the stretch.

Shastafarian
03-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Ok I'm all better. I would love to see Malik play more minutes. He can't be worse than Bogans. Just the fact that he hustles makes him more valuable than Bogans. Did you see how many times Bogans got blown by tonight?

yavozerb
03-21-2010, 10:49 PM
This is not the year of the hairston!!maybe next season, it is bogans time..get over it :toast

Muser
03-21-2010, 10:50 PM

Hairston would have been ideal, Atlanta are full of athletic freaks.

Shastafarian
03-21-2010, 10:50 PM

Already answered that.Not really. All you said was he played bad. I'll take that as a "no he didn't deserve 25 minutes". With that being said, do you still think it's silly that people always blame the same guys for losses? Can you name me 5 good games Bogans has had in the last 20? I'll wait.

Duncan blew a critical rotation and had a critical turnover on a inbounce play. Hill played bad on both ends. Manu also had a critical turnover. Like I said a team effort. Carelessness with the ball and D down the stretch.It is a team effort. It's just a shame when one guy has no effort. That brings the collective effort down.

HarlemHeat37
03-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Hairston IS better than Bogans though, a lot better..

This is no longer a case of people like myself and others saying "let's see what Hairston can do"..he's been playing against the same competition as Bogans since he actually started getting minutes, and he's clearly looked significantly better..he's already shown he can play, there's nothing else left to see in the Bogans vs. Hairston argument..

Hairston still has A LOT to prove in the NBA and he might not be the answer to some of the Spurs problems, but he's clearly already proven that he's much better than Centerpiece..

Bogans is 5-17 from the field in his last 5 games..he shoots 32% from the field against teams that are .500 or better..he really KILLS this team, he doesn't have the quickness or athleticism to stay with anybody..

Shastafarian
03-21-2010, 10:51 PM
This is not the year of the hairston!!maybe next season, it is bogans time..get over it :toast

No thanks. I don't enjoy watching my team lose.

Shastafarian
03-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Hairston IS better than Bogans though, a lot better..

This is no longer a case of people like myself and others saying "let's see what Hairston can do"..he's been playing against the same competition as Bogans since he actually started getting minutes, and he's clearly looked significantly better..he's already shown he can play, there's nothing else left to see in the Bogans vs. Hairston argument..

Bogans is 5-17 from the field in his last 5 games..he shoots 32% from the field against teams that are .500 or better..he really KILLS this team, he doesn't have the quickness or athleticism to stay with anybody..

You're silly. Clearly when a team loses it's not any one player's fault. It's the team's loss, no matter how shitty a player is who happens to get 25 minutes.

yavozerb
03-21-2010, 10:53 PM
No thanks. I don't enjoy watching my team lose.

And hairston is the new "saviour" :lol....Geez, losing definatly is taking its toll around here..

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-21-2010, 10:53 PM
You don't get the spacing with Dice that you do with Bonner

Dice can hit out to about 18. That's good enough.

And come on - what spacing? Teams leave Bonner open all the time. Go back to OT - Bonner's brick. No Hawk was within 10 feet of him. Why? They were more than happy to let him shoot.

Just like Dallas was last year when they smoked us, and just like anyone else will be this year if we even get to the playoffs.

whottt
03-21-2010, 10:54 PM
Oh and the spacing argument is over-rated. David Robinson didn't space the floor. Bynum doesn't space it for Gasol. Kedrick Perkins doesn't space it for Garnett.

That spacing thing is something that worked well with Horry...but it's not like it's a staple of winning championships to have a 3 shooting PF. It's not a staple of Spurs offense either. In fact Horry is about the only one in history to do it.

Having a perimeter oriented bigman works great when you have a bigman drawing doubles...Duncan doesn't do that much anymore so the tactic isn't as effective and it's not as important as it used to be.

Time to turn the page on the 3 shooting PF as a key to the offense and get back to a more traditional line up.

Sure it wokrs situationally(situation being Duncan pulling multiple defenders or the defense clogging the paint).....it's damn sure not some essential must have part of winning basketball though.

Shastafarian
03-21-2010, 10:54 PM
And hairston is the new "saviour" :lol....Geez, losing definatly is taking its toll around here..

He's not a savior. He's just better than the current guy who still, inexplicably, gets 25 minutes.

spurs10
03-21-2010, 10:55 PM
TO's and boards gave us a loss we could little afford. It will take a Herculean effort to win tomorrow. Obviously someone other than the big two will have to step up.

yavozerb
03-21-2010, 10:55 PM
Damn, I forgot this thread was about bonner since people are bitching about bogans as well...

J_Paco
03-21-2010, 10:56 PM
Mat Bonner is the biggest choke-artist on the Spurs in the last 10-15 years. You can tell the guy has no confidence on those threes in pressure situations, just look at his reaction on the three he made in the 4th quarter, and their almost always a guaranteed brick. Add to this the fact that he can't rebound nor gives consistent effort and is the most nonathletic player on the court. Well, this all adds up to a player that shouldn't be given heavy minutes on a playoff-contending team.

And come on - what spacing? Teams leave Bonner open all the time. Go back to OT - Bonner's brick. No Hawk was within 10 feet of him. Why? They were more than happy to let him shoot.

That's because there is a 62% chance it'll be a brick and the those odds sky-rocket in crunch-time. When will our coach realize that whatever positives Bonner brings (3-point shooting) is trumped by the negatives (no athleticism, mediocre rebounding & weak defense)?

My Fault
03-21-2010, 10:56 PM
Not really. All you said was he played bad. I'll take that as a "no he didn't deserve 25 minutes". With that being said, do you still think it's silly that people always blame the same guys for losses? Can you name me 5 good games Bogans has had in the last 20? I'll wait.
It is a team effort. It's just a shame when one guy has no effort. That brings the collective effort down.
Maybe comprehension isn't your strong point. I'm not defending Bogans. The team lost because the team blew it.

Shastafarian
03-21-2010, 10:57 PM
Damn, I forgot this thread was about bonner since people are bitching about bogans as well...

:lol "Bitching"

I'll ask you the same question I asked basketball einstein. Did Bogans deserve 25 minutes tonight?

santymrc
03-21-2010, 10:58 PM

Are you Bogans father or what??????????
Bogans can't get anything right. Malik at least brings hustle and heart.

Shastafarian
03-21-2010, 10:59 PM

Maybe comprehension isn't your strong point. I'm not defending Bogans. The team lost because the team blew it.

Maybe I didn't comprehend your first post. You weren't defending Bogans? What was the point then?

santymrc
03-21-2010, 11:01 PM

In a way, you're right. But without Manu's 38 pts and TD's 29 pts you're not even in the game at the end.
I'm not gonna blame them for this loss, they bust their asses there tonite, its the rest of the team role players not stepping up.

yavozerb
03-21-2010, 11:02 PM
Are you Bogans father or what??????????
Bogans can't get anything right. Malik at least brings hustle and heart.

So does bonner and look what it does for him on ST...No, I am not bogans father, just someone who realizes hairston just isnt ready for a large chunk of minutes some of you people want to give him..

Shastafarian
03-21-2010, 11:03 PM
So does bonner and look what it does for him on ST...No, I am not bogans father, just someone who realizes hairston just isnt ready for a large chunk of minutes some of you people want to give him..

What makes you say Hairston isn't ready? Hell, what makes you say we want him to get a "large chunk of minutes"?

santymrc
03-21-2010, 11:04 PM

Please, enlight us with your wisdom and tell us why Malik isn't ready.

My Fault
03-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Maybe I didn't comprehend your first post. You weren't defending Bogans? What was the point then?
After all the times I've repeated the same thing you still don't seem to understand. Instead of posting it another five times, I'll let you just go back read it again and hope it will sink in.

yavozerb
03-21-2010, 11:05 PM
Look, the spurs almost won this game without one of the top pg's in the NBA..If tony is out there, who knows, we may have won this game by a large margin..The guys played there asses off and almost pulled out a W against one of the best teams in the NBA on the road..I am actually liking how competative the team is currnetly and am hoping they continue this trend when TP comes back..

Shastafarian
03-21-2010, 11:06 PM
After all the times I repeated the same thing you still don't seem to understand. Instead of posting it another five times, I'll let you just go back read it again and hope it will sink in.

Sweet dodge. Yeah I get it. You think basketball is a team game which means a loss is a team loss. You keep failing to understand my point that guys like Bogans make that team loss all that much easier since they bring the entire team down (like on defense!). Kudos for putting me down and not understanding my point in the least.

santymrc
03-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Look, the spurs almost won this game without one of the top pg's in the NBA..If tony is out there, who knows, we may have won this game by a large margin..The guys played there asses off and almost pulled out a W against one of the best teams in the NBA on the road..I am actually liking how competative the team is currnetly and am hoping they continue this trend when TP comes back..

Hello? You're not answering the question.
Enlight us with your wisdom, yet again plz.

mexicanjunior
03-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Look, the spurs almost won this game without one of the top pg's in the NBA..If tony is out there, who knows, we may have won this game by a large margin..

Nice deflection...the "injury excuses losses" shield is always a solid force field.

santymrc
03-21-2010, 11:17 PM
Nice deflection...the "injury excuses losses" shield is always a solid force field.

Indeed, but, I do agree with him in that tho. If we had TP we might have won the game, just "might", we will never know.

I do like to see us compete against elite teams, to have a chance to win is great, but most importantly, you got to win.

We will see when TP comes back how we do. I wont quit on this team for one lose against ATL with a bad officiating crew, on the road and without TP, that's for sure.

yavozerb
03-21-2010, 11:26 PM
From the games I have seen (about 90% so far) I think Bogans not only is quicker on defense but he is also much better with help defense as well. Bogans is not an unathletic NBA player, I have seen make some good blocks, but I do agree that hairston is definatly a better athlete and can make up for some of his mistakes with it. Bogans on offense may not be able to drive to the basket as well as hairston but I do believe he much more confident and is willing to shoot if needed (to yalls dismay)..Look, I enjoy watching hairston play as well and would not even mind if took some of bogans minutes but the fact is it seems at this point the game just doesnt flow as smooth to him as bogans and I think thats why pop likes bogans..

Man In Black
03-21-2010, 11:28 PM
Oh and the spacing argument is over-rated. David Robinson didn't space the floor. Bynum doesn't space it for Gasol. Kedrick Perkins doesn't space it for Garnett.

When David was here, Tim Duncan wasn't wearing a knee-brace and tip jams were the norm. Bynum & Gasol run the triangle, in that offense, the spacing comes the post, so in essence, they do. Kendrick Perkins is the INSIDE guy, ipso fact. Garnett's first position on the floor is 17 feet away. He moves in to rebound.

That spacing thing is something that worked well with Horry...but it's not like it's a staple of winning championships to have a 3 shooting PF.

I could agree with that. Dirk hasn't won shit and he's the best 3 PF out there. It's a matchup-thing and the Spurs were doing well enough with Bonner in there. Do I think Dyess would've locked up a W? It's quite possible, but it wasn't a guarantee. The spacing is still important, whether it's Dyess or anyone else. This team, other than Manu and to a lesser extent, TP, doesn't win on athletic feats of prestidigitation. They play Catholic School Share The Ball offense that wins on precision. When they're on, they're tough to beat.

It's not a staple of Spurs offense either. In fact Horry is about the only one in history to do it.

It's an adjustment to account for the strengths of a given team. Again, Tim ain't tip-jam Tim anymore, so the team plays with lots of misdirection and precision. The spacing isn't a by-product, it's intended for a purpose.

Having a perimeter oriented bigman works great when you have a bigman drawing doubles...Duncan doesn't do that much anymore so the tactic isn't as effective and it's not as important as it used to be.

Duncan does still command double's but it's a looser double. Plus, the penetrating wings(OK Manu) and TP, still need some attack paths to get to the rim. If the bigs bring their covers into the paint, then it's pollution and no one is getting in.

Time to turn the page on the 3 shooting PF as a key to the offense and get back to a more traditional line up.

Sure it wokrs situationally(situation being Duncan pulling multiple defenders or the defense clogging the paint).....it's damn sure not some essential must have part of winning basketball though.

See, this is where we differ. When you say situationally, then you're admitting to the fact, that at that time, it's essential. To me it's just another tool that Pop has in his quiver. This time, it didn't work, but it almost did. Had the team been able to execute, or had they just had a modicum of fair calls, we all know the outcome would have been different. THEMS THE BREAKS.

Shastafarian
03-21-2010, 11:35 PM
From the games I have seen (about 90% so far) I think Bogans not only is quicker on defense but he is also much better with help defense as well. Bogans is not an unathletic NBA player, I have seen make some good blocks

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww300/seanachie/NotSureIfSerious.jpg

santymrc
03-21-2010, 11:40 PM
From the games I have seen (about 90% so far) I think Bogans not only is quicker on defense but he is also much better with help defense as well. Bogans is not an unathletic NBA player, I have seen make some good blocks, but I do agree that hairston is definatly a better athlete and can make up for some of his mistakes with it. Bogans on offense may not be able to drive to the basket as well as hairston but I do believe he much more confident and is willing to shoot if needed (to yalls dismay)..Look, I enjoy watching hairston play as well and would not even mind if took some of bogans minutes but the fact is it seems at this point the game just doesnt flow as smooth to him as bogans and I think thats why pop likes bogans..

Hilarious.
I think you have to clean up your TV screen. You got it wrong, ala Keith Hairston - Malik Bogans.

angelbelow
03-22-2010, 12:15 AM
I think it would have been nice to see what Malik can do against tougher competition. Its too bad he got the shaft, perhaps Pop just doesnt trust him.

GhosTown
03-22-2010, 01:08 AM
Too much Bonner killed the Spurs tonite. I was at the game and I saw Ian workout for 15 minutes. This guy was balling. He basically wasn't missing. He looked like he was warming up to actually play. Then Manu came out, followed by Bonner. Bonner hardly warmed up. Between Bonner and Ian, Bonner got all the PT, while we absolutely got killed in the paint. I saw it with my own eyes, Pop doesn't have a clue as to what Ian can do, because there is no way he would have watched what I saw and still played Bonner and Blair when he was getting killed on the glass.

Pop is done. The Spurs were embarrassed at the Highlight Factory. We should have won this game.

Manu is alright with me, he even took time to sign my kid's basketball, not a bad deal.

OrEmuN
03-22-2010, 01:11 AM

I am pretty sure that you are not sober/on crack while you are watching the games.

sabar
03-22-2010, 01:19 AM
Bonner wasn't the reason that the Spurs lost IMO, although I agree he made some crucial mistakes..I do agree McDyess should have played more though..

Hill was absolutely horrible on both ends of the floor..Jefferson missed crucial rotations on Horford when Duncan went to trap on the baseline, leading to 2 clutch jump shots from Horford..stupid turnovers all over the place for the Spurs..Duncan with some stupid subtle mistakes and Manu choking down the stretch in regulation..refs were horrible in Atlanta's favor..

Oh, and obviously can't forget Centerpiece getting torched and missing 3 wide open 3s..

+1

OP: tunnel vision logic = fail

ElNono
03-22-2010, 01:30 AM
I think part of the problem and that's somewhat tangential to this is the constant tweaking of rotations. At home Hairston comes in first off the bench for RJ, today, for whatever reason, Mason goes ahead of him. Bonner plays well his usual limited minutes off the bench, and then he starts the second half.

On top of that, you have the usual issues:
- Bogans plays an inordinate amount of minutes while stopping nobody.
- Hill disappears on the road
- Bonner shrinks in the crunch
- Interior defense/rebounding was lacking

Pop needs to understand that with Tony out, one of Duncan or Ginobili need to be out there at all times. They both sat in the 2nd quarter and that's when the Hawks made their run.

I thought we played pretty well all things considered. But Hill needs to start showing up ASAP or we're toast. Especially tomorrow when TD and MG are probably going to be dead tired.

AussieFanKurt
03-22-2010, 03:01 AM
matt bonner is MVP of spurs

Chieflion
03-22-2010, 03:49 AM
If the Spurs won this game, everyone would forget that missed 3 in overtime and praise Bonner for hitting that clutch 3 that got the Spurs a 94-93 lead. Seriously, how many people still remember that? But Dice still needs more minutes though.

whottt
03-22-2010, 05:46 AM
See, this is where we differ. When you say situationally, then you're admitting to the fact, that at that time, it's essential. To me it's just another tool that Pop has in his quiver. This time, it didn't work, but it almost did. Had the team been able to execute, or had they just had a modicum of fair calls, we all know the outcome would have been different. THEMS THE BREAKS.

I'm admitting to the fact that it can be helpful sometimes, sure. In certain situations...however, even if the concept does have situational merit, it's pretty much useless in a pressure situation if Bonner is playing an integral role. He doesn't hit the shots he needs to in those situations, hardly ever. And the better the team we are playing, the lower his success rate.

We aren't going to do anything if this team is reliant upon Bonner hitting big shots, open or not.

Simple as that.

TJastal
03-22-2010, 06:22 AM
Too much Bonner killed the Spurs tonite. I was at the game and I saw Ian workout for 15 minutes. This guy was balling. He basically wasn't missing. He looked like he was warming up to actually play. Then Manu came out, followed by Bonner. Bonner hardly warmed up. Between Bonner and Ian, Bonner got all the PT, while we absolutely got killed in the paint. I saw it with my own eyes, Pop doesn't have a clue as to what Ian can do, because there is no way he would have watched what I saw and still played Bonner and Blair when he was getting killed on the glass.

Pop is done. The Spurs were embarrassed at the Highlight Factory. We should have won this game.

Manu is alright with me, he even took time to sign my kid's basketball, not a bad deal.

+1

Pop still doesn't get it.. Once again, athleticism and lack of defensive rebounding killed the spurs tonight. I am 100% convinced that Hairston and Mahinmi would help solve alot of those problems, EVEN NOW considering they haven't played much this year. And even if they they aren't quite ready, who the fuck cares? They are the future so get them experience NOW. It's not like the spurs are expecting a championship this year.

Hairston and Mahinmi should be getting ALL of Bogans/Bonner's minutes NOW and should have BEEN even much earlier in the year. Sad thing is, Hairston easily could have been our starting SG now and ripping shit up, while Bogans would probably be bricking 3's somewhere over in Greece about now. And Bonner should be riding the pine in favor of Ian's development. Bonner is a SITUATIONAL player, not an everyday 25-30 minute guy. He is a 3pt shooting big who plays little defense. Ian should be getting 1/2 of his minutes NOW and 2/3 of his minutes once he has experience.

TJastal
03-22-2010, 06:23 AM
I am pretty sure that you are not sober/on crack while you are watching the games.

:lmao

Fabbs
03-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Why is Soft Dick getting a pass in the blame for this loss?

Beyond pathetic failure to box out. If i knew how to stream i'd post it.

To the OP, Bonner was bad yes but also hit some good threes. As pointed out, Bonner should be a situational player, not a staple. And of course Ian should have got some decent burn. Pops done. He's been done since 2006 _allas.

Hemotivo
03-22-2010, 08:30 AM

cool

AFBlue
03-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Had almost the exact same thoughts...wtf is Bonner doing out there with the game on the line? We know he's the antithesis of "clutch" and he got absolutely owned on the boards.

Put this loss directly on the shoulders of Pop. The frustrating part is that even without Parker this looked like a winnable game. Not mad at any of the other players, although Georgie could've stood to hit at least one of the five corner threes he took!

George Gervin's Afro
03-22-2010, 12:47 PM
I said out loud in OT when bonner missed that three " Matt those are the one's we NEED!" I miss Big Shot Rob...:(

The Truth #6
03-22-2010, 01:12 PM

I'd love for Ian to play but I'm not sure that warmups are the best indicator for what he can or can't do in a game time situation. I agree that we needed rebounding at end of the game. Wasn't surprising to see Bonner shrink. I still recall people pissing on themselves in excitement when Bonner was tearing it up in the first exhibition game. He does well for lower pressure situations during the regular season, but for crunch situations he shouldn't be playing. This should be obvious.

It's maddening that once Pop gets a notion stuck in his head he won't change. Brilliant people often do idiotic things based on instinct and emotions. Countless military leaders have become a victim of their own success.

TJastal
03-22-2010, 10:48 PM

:lmao :rollin :lol

kaji157
03-22-2010, 10:53 PM
Tonight Bonner -11 McDyess +13.. please pop... please!!

Man In Black
03-22-2010, 10:54 PM
But that's not the case tonight...IS IT? :nope

No McDyess late to get rebounds, but yet the Spurs won. Could it be because they were able to execute? Yeah, that's it. That's all it ever is.

santymrc
03-22-2010, 11:00 PM
But that's not the case tonight...IS IT? :nope

No McDyess late to get rebounds, but yet the Spurs won. Could it be because they were able to execute? Yeah, that's it. That's all it ever is.

Or becouse Manu got a HUGE RB that wasn't meant to be in his hands. Or couse they blew an open 3...

Execution? Manu to TD in p'n'r, TD getting blocked. Execution was Ok there. So?
Your post is pointless.

Man In Black
03-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Or becouse Manu got a HUGE RB that wasn't meant to be in his hands.
WTF does that mean? Rebounds is hard work, he came up with the ball because he put in the work to get there. You called 1 play that ended up bad, but why didn't you call out the good plays, like the steals, the assist that led to a Jefferson dunk? That's right because some of you biatches are weak sauce. If you look at an overall body of work, the Spurs aren't playing like a team that is destined for lottery. THIS IS A PLAYOFF TEAM. The rest of this shit is naught but complaints and pure disdain.

ElNono
03-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Dice absolutely needs to start closing games. It's not like he was playing bad or anything.
A paperweight gives us more presence than Bonner in crunch time.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Yeah, Bonner shouldn't be getitng more than 10-15 mpg tops. Dice, can be inconsistent, but his defense and rebounding shows up a lot more than Bonner's streaky shooting.

fusionjazzman72
03-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Stupid coach

itzsoweezee
03-22-2010, 11:51 PM
king of plus/minus (ie, our savior according to lord popobitch) has been horrible against good teams. who could have predicted this!? it's not like we had an entire season and playoffs series to indicate that he's a pussy that will wet his pants when the pressure's on.

at least we know that lord popovich doesn't give out minutes based on ability or performance. thank popovich that our savior, the disproportionately-armed, red headed one-trick pony will continue to lead our team to defeat.

DesignatedT
03-22-2010, 11:54 PM
im fine with bonner getting playing time and takin those open threes, but dyess definitely should be in there during crunch time... at least have him and bonner going in and out according to offense/defense

SenorSpur
03-23-2010, 01:12 AM
I'd love for Ian to play but I'm not sure that warmups are the best indicator for what he can or can't do in a game time situation. I agree that we needed rebounding at end of the game. Wasn't surprising to see Bonner shrink. I still recall people pissing on themselves in excitement when Bonner was tearing it up in the first exhibition game. He does well for lower pressure situations during the regular season, but for crunch situations he shouldn't be playing. This should be obvious.
Bonner doesn't possess a single clutch gene in his body. That is more than obvious to everyone - except Pop. In fact, his shrinkage in clutch situations has been exposed more ever since Horry retired and his playing time increased.

It's maddening that once Pop gets a notion stuck in his head he won't change. Brilliant people often do idiotic things based on instinct and emotions. Countless military leaders have become a victim of their own success.
Amen. As maddening as it is that Pop has Ian rotting away on the bench, it's even more maddening that OKC has a kid (Ibaka), who is even more raw and unpolished than Mahinmi, yet he gets court time and is flourishing because of it. I would've loved to have seen Ian go up head-to-head with Ibaka. If nothing else, but to give the OKC another look along the frontline and provide the Spurs and Duncan with some rebounding and shotblocking help.