PDA

View Full Version : SO...What do you think happens when you die?

CosmicCowboy
03-21-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm staying with my sister at her condo in Dallas. Her Cancer has metastasized to her brain and it's like watching ivy cover the wall that is "her".

Discuss.

DMX7
03-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Sorry to hear that.

I honestly think nothing happens when you die. What happens when a cat dies or a fly? Every living thing dies eventually, there's nothing special about humans.

CosmicCowboy
03-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Sorry to hear that.

I honestly think nothing happens when you die. What happens when a cat dies or a fly? Every living thing dies eventually, there's nothing special about humans.

I can't say I disagree. Maybe it's just about not hurting or worrying anymore.

Vinnie_Johnson
03-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Sorry to hear what you are going through.

spursfan09
03-21-2010, 10:14 PM
:(

Sorry to hear that.

I believe in God and heaven.

Now I had a niece who died recently. So, I've been thinking about this also.

I think we forever stay in a dream state. Which is really just your soul that has moved on from your body. You still keep your mind, thoughts etc. I think I read somewhere that the part of your brain where you dream is the last to go.

The Reckoning
03-21-2010, 10:17 PM
energy has to go somewhere. she'll be alright.

Jekka
03-21-2010, 10:20 PM
My condolences for your sister, CC :(

I don't think death has to be the end. I don't know how much I believe in a conventional "Heaven" per se, and I know it sounds cheesy, but my sister and I have talked about how we've felt my grandfather's presence at times since he passed away. Maybe that has more to do with those left living than those who are deceased when you don't believe in the traditional Christian "afterlife," but I don't think that makes it any less significant either.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Sorry about your sister but couldn't you just bump any of the other threads with this same question that pops up more than hemorrhoids?

CosmicCowboy
03-21-2010, 10:23 PM
I definitely believe in a god and so does my sister. we just don't necessarily think any single religion has the inside line on truth.

CosmicCowboy
03-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Sorry about your sister but couldn't you just bump any of the other threads with this same question that pops up more than hemorrhoids?

feel free to stay the fuck out of this thread then asshole...

Viva Las Espuelas
03-21-2010, 10:25 PM
feel free to stay the fuck out of this thread then asshole...

:toast

Red Hawk #21
03-21-2010, 10:33 PM

lol you

You just love being a fuckstick any time you can right? Fuckface.

mavs>spurs2
03-21-2010, 10:34 PM
dude, in all honesty, this isn't the end of the line for her, or for anyone else when they die. quit being close minded and open your mind, the signs are all around you.

Red Hawk #21
03-21-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm staying with my sister at her condo in Dallas. Her Cancer has metastasized to her brain and it's like watching ivy cover the wall that is "her".

Discuss.

Hey man, sorry about your loss brother. I don't even know what to think anymore about what happens after death. I've thought about heaven and hell, reincarnation, and plenty of other scenarios. We can't ever know what happens until we get there, but hopefully we all use our time on this earth well and maybe if we're lucky enough there is a good place we can go after death.

ALWAYS bet on BLACK
03-21-2010, 10:39 PM
dude, in all honesty, this isn't the end of the line for her, or for anyone else when they die. quit being close minded and open your mind, the signs are all around you.
My man, what are the signs you see around you? Not doubting you, just curious as to what are your signs? I am a firm believer in an afterlife with Jesus Christ.

Sense
03-21-2010, 10:40 PM
I believe that we live to die and die to live.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-21-2010, 10:43 PM
lol you

You just love being a fuckstick any time you can right? Fuckface.

For saying sorry about his sister? Ok. Gotcha.

tlongII
03-21-2010, 10:59 PM
That's the question that's been around as long as life itself isn't it? I have no idea. In fact I don't even know if you ever find out. I hope there is something after you die, but even if there isn't at least the pain is gone...actually I don't even know if that's true or not. :lol

balli
03-21-2010, 11:04 PM
I don't know. Death is either the end, or it isn't.... or you can take the existential route and view love and compassion and the soul and shared human experience and all the feeling behind those tired cliches as having or being a part of or eternity itself. In which case life or life extinguished is just one infinitesimal and at the same time utterly substantial part of the universe's fabric.

I don't think you'll ever know and I don't think either the academic or religious or philosophical will ever give you the concrete answers you're understandably craving right now. Just take solace in the fact that (in the words of Captain Hook), death is the only adventure. Beats dying of cancer anyways.

CosmicCowboy
03-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Just in case there is no afterlife we have been drinking really good wine, smoking really good dope, eating really good food, and she is taking some GREAT drugs.

ALWAYS bet on BLACK
03-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Just in case there is no afterlife we have been drinking really good wine, smoking really good dope, eating really good food, and she is taking some GREAT drugs.
Always nice to brag about taking illegal drugs.

Pot solves nothing. It is illegal for a good reason!

ALWAYS bet on BLACK
03-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Pot is so much more dangerous than alcohol.

If you want to get fucked up, go drink.

Pot will kill you.

CosmicCowboy
03-21-2010, 11:17 PM
:lmao

bragging about living the hospice life? Smoking pot is not going to kill my sister....

Imposter
03-21-2010, 11:19 PM

Pot will kill you.

kill yourself

balli
03-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Always nice to brag about taking illegal drugs.

Pot solves nothing. It is illegal for a good reason!

dude, fuck off. If you're going to piss out moral judgments, this thread is none of your fucking business. Get out or keep your fucked up opinions in check.

duncan228
03-21-2010, 11:20 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your sister. It's nice that you can be with her. I hope whatever your, and her, beliefs are they bring you both some comfort.

spursfan09
03-21-2010, 11:26 PM
I got a call at 3:30 in the morning with my bro in law at the hospital, telling me my niece was on her last couple of breaths already. I got up and tried to get ready as fast as I could. As I was getting ready, all of a sudden I felt a cold rush come over me and I got goose bumps. By the time I got to the hospital, she was already gone. Which I already figured when I felt that. She was probably telling me goodbye.

tlongII
03-21-2010, 11:40 PM
I'm glad you are with her CC. And I bet she is glad you are there too.

mrsmaalox
03-21-2010, 11:48 PM
I like to believe that we become part of something great. And although we can't know about that for sure, we can be sure that she will live forever in your heart and soul, and you will feel her influence on every aspect of your life. You are very fortunate to have this time with her, and she is very fortunate to have you by her side.

CosmicCowboy
03-21-2010, 11:51 PM
Thanks Tlong. It's really sad and bizarre watching a spectacular mind unfold like a head of wilting lettuce. She was an incredible wildlife/life photographer. Multiple trips to Africa/Asia. I'm talking National Geographic quality. *sigh*

oh crap
03-22-2010, 12:02 AM
Thanks Tlong. It's really sad and bizarre watching a spectacular mind unfold like a head of wilting lettuce. She was an incredible wildlife/life photographer. Multiple trips to Africa/Asia. I'm talking National Geographic quality. *sigh*

It sounds like she has made her mark on the world and after she is physically gone, her vision and passion will be long remembered through her work. Every photo, every shot is a piece of her that will endure the test of time. I've dealt with cancer deaths in my family so I know the pain, I hope that in time you can celebrate the beautiful life that she lived.

CosmicCowboy
03-22-2010, 12:08 AM
I had to negotiate a meeting between her and my parents at a neutral place. W rented a really really nice house on the water at lake LBJ. Theres something about wind and waves and water and moon light that make talking about hard things easier. My mother took a bunch of pictures. I never want to see those pictures again.

timvp
03-22-2010, 12:12 AM
Sounds like you are being a quality brother. :tu

CosmicCowboy
03-22-2010, 12:16 AM
It sounds like she has made her mark on the world and after she is physically gone, her vision and passion will be long remembered through her work. Every photo, every shot is a piece of her that will endure the test of time. I've dealt with cancer deaths in my family so I know the pain, I hope that in time you can celebrate the beautiful life that she lived.

Thanks. It's not over time. We are doing it every day while she is here. I may play mean parent and send her to bed like a 2 year old at times but at other times we are right there on top of the world in high school laughing about good times as we pass the pipe around and celebrate our time together.

Sorry to be a downer. I'm happy and really sad at the same time. Just really raw emotionally

Cheers. :toast

CosmicCowboy
03-22-2010, 12:22 AM

You guys really wouldn't believe just how good her photos are. I may post a few after it doesn't hurt so much.

Kori Ellis
03-22-2010, 01:27 AM
Sorry about your sister. Cancer sucks. It sounds like you are making her final days as easy/good as you can.

I believe her spirit will go onto eternal bliss and peace.

JamStone
03-22-2010, 03:02 AM
I'm religious. But I'm also a doubting Thomas when it comes to questions about faith, God, and how they tie into the meaning of life. In many ways, I think we are like any other living thing and when it's over, it's simply over. Of course, I hope that's not true. I want to believe there's something more, something greater.

But I do look at is this way that doesn't necessarily contradict either belief... the soul is a force of energy. When a person passes, that energy must go somewhere. I choose to believe that energy passes on to those people that person loved. So they continue to live on in their loved ones. Hey, maybe that's not what happens, but I think it's nice to think that it does.

As much as it hurts, I hope you can find a way to celebrate her life and everything that is beautiful about your sister as you try to get past mourning her loss. I think that's the best way she can live on afterwards, through your loving and fond memories of her.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Slydragon
03-22-2010, 04:21 AM
I believe there is something, I don't really believe in just one religion.....Each one claims that their god and ways are the correct path, To me the path is believing in my own way.

With that said, I think when you die it's like the times you lay your head to go to bed and the next thing you remember is just waking up, no dreams, no waking up in the middle of the night, the last thing you do remember is laying down but when you die you don't wake up.

In a way I think that might be the best for me, No wondering about the after life or watching my living family suffering threw what basically is life.

Also when I think deep about heaven and how if you pray for forgiveness you are supposedly forgiven and let into heaven, Well that don't jive to well with me, It's a loop hole. My cousin was killed (run over) by a drunk guy who got piss cuz she didn't leave the bar with him.

Now most people take comfort in saying when he dies he will go to hell and that gets them threw it, let god judge him right? Well would if on his death bed he prays for forgiveness and it's granted and he goes to heaven.

Mean while I have died and so have other members of my family and we are untied with my cousin in heaven, but wait......we look around and notice this guy that we took comfort in thinking would go to hell is there also, along with many other bad people who have prayed and been granted forgiveness.

Cosmic I'm sorry for what you and the family are going threw and I'm sure your thoughts on the after life are pretty set in your mind. Maybe you are fishing for a feel good post and that is totally fine, I would too.

I wish I or someone here could give you comfort and piece of mind, here's my attempt at it,

Be grateful that you can share in her death with her. I know when people die in car accidents or a sudden death, A family members biggest thing is "I was not there to comfort them" "I wish I could have held her/his hand" This higher power has granted you something very special and you and the family will be there when she draws her last breaths, she will feel love and not alone. I know if I had to die I would rather have my family around me as I died vs just dieing along in a car accident.

Sorry if this is a wall of misspelled text but it's way past my bedtime. G'night

smeagol
03-22-2010, 08:50 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your sis. It seems that she is in the best company possible. :tu

EmptyMan
03-22-2010, 08:59 AM
Nothingness.

Old Souls do exist though, so something extra-ordinary happens to select people - imo

WESTACKED
03-22-2010, 09:11 AM
the world remains still but that of one's own will be gone as soon as one dies. Just how it was before one's birth is what one's world will be like after his death. No one wants his life like an evanescent fucking comet but that's exactly how god designed everyone's life. The tomb may exist there for many decades or even centuries as a reminder of your once presence but in your own feelings, you don't feel how much you're missed after your decease and it feels no difference than having died in a shark's stomach as its meal.

You guys had better either try to explore a vent out of this mortal hopper or inveigle yourself in some joy to overwhelm the echoing thoughts about how pathetic your lives are. Humans only live in the world awaiting their inevitable deaths, you all live for deaths...

WESTACKED
03-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Sorry about your sister. Cancer sucks. It sounds like you are making her final days as easy/good as you can.

I believe her spirit will go onto eternal bliss and peace.
Terminal cancer doesn't equal death, does it? there's just a big chance his sister will die from cancer it doesn't mean it's hopelessly incurable. Hopefully everyone's soul will go heaven and get eternal peaces but you aren't the prophet who tells whose comes earlier and whose later.

WESTACKED
03-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Watch the movie Waking Life. It's basically a 90 minute long movie of potheads discussing death (with really shitty animation). But it's got some interesting ideas.

AbG6b2n6UOs
how is such a somber topic associated to some Hollywood shits? you are a simpleton if you think any hollywood movie contains an ounce of psychological thought.

Bukefal
03-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Im sorry about your sister man, you are being a great bother! As for death, im wondering this from time to time, as almost everyone. Well, we don't know. Maybe there is something, maybe there is nothing, zero, nada, all gone. im wondering about the time, if you die, when you cant think anymore, that really everything is gone. It's hard to believe.

Maybe there is something afterwards, I cant say if I believe it or dont believe it, because we simply do not know. But I do not believe in and see things as how the church tells us to.

easjer
03-22-2010, 09:37 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your sister, but this time you can have with her and are spending with her is so amazing and precious, and you will be so grateful for it, despite the pain.

I don't know what happens when we die. I believe in the soul. I might go so far as to say I know souls exist. My son is still with us - we both feel him, his presence, that bit that was uniquely him. We didn't know him well or long, but we both feel him. I've even had friends say the same thing, that they've felt him, and he has visited them.

Gabriel still exists. I don't know where or how, and I'm learning that that isn't so important. It just is, as he is. As I am, as you are. Death is a part of life, but I don't believe it is the end.

Leetonidas
03-22-2010, 10:01 AM

Pot will kill you.

I hope you're jay kaying otherwise you really needed to be sodomized with a rusty nail bat.

SO...What do you think happens when you die?

Nothing.

florige
03-22-2010, 10:21 AM
That sucks dude! Sorry to hear. At least she is having a good time in her final hours though. Even though the situations are different, my grandmother has dementia. I know what it is like to see a loved one who was once very sharp basically losing it right before your eyes. So I can sorta relate on that.

clambake
03-22-2010, 10:28 AM
you're a good brother.

sorry you had to negotiate a meeting. all that time, wasted.

angel_luv
03-22-2010, 10:42 AM
I am very sorry to hear about your sister Cosmic Cowboy.

You and your family will be in my prayers. I have lost loved ones but never under such painful circumstances. My heart goes out to you all.

baseline bum
03-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Sorry to hear, CC. If I was in your sister's situation I'd want to spend a lot of time hanging around my brother too.

angel_luv
03-22-2010, 11:33 AM
CC- My mom read this book and it ministered to her deeply. She lost my father suddenly to heart failure just a month short of their 25 year anniversary. This was over a decade ago now.

I thought of the book when I read your post and hope it brings you comfort to read it, if you chose to.
http://www.amazon.com/Heaven-Your-Joni-Eareckson-Tada/product-reviews/0310501407/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Heaven, Your Real Home
Joni Eareckson Tada

clambake
03-22-2010, 11:40 AM
CC- My mom read this book and it ministered to her deeply. She lost my father suddenly to heart failure just a month short of their 25 year anniversary. This was over a decade ago now.

I thought of the book when I read your post and hope it brings you comfort to read it, if you chose to.
http://www.amazon.com/Heaven-Your-Joni-Eareckson-Tada/product-reviews/0310501407/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Heaven, Your Real Home
Joni Eareckson Tada

he's kinda busy. of all people.....coudn't you just give him a short summary?

angel_luv
03-22-2010, 11:42 AM
I haven't read the book myself. I just remember my mom sharing with me how reading the book comforted her and I hope it does the same for C.C.'s family.

Stringer_Bell
03-22-2010, 11:49 AM
I had an amazing ancient philosophy professor and he'd teach us the Socratic/Platonic ideas of life & death with such great passion that I always thought of his voice when I would read the text. When we arrived at Aristotle, I was struck by the change in tone and ideas, so I asked him one day what he thought happens when we die.

He sided with Aristotle, "We just pass away and live on through our family. Our afterlife is our legacy." I was kind of shocked because I was so used to hearing those optimistic lessons, but the man himself believed otherwise. Then I just sort of decided the question of an afterlife was to be dealt with like the question of God...live as if it isn't there, and just live a life where you don't hurt anybody, try to be of service, travel, share your knowledge, and not expect people/situations to always treat you as good as you treat them. You won't carry around a lot of the guilt most "pious" or "devout" people do, and that's HALF the battle because you'd be surprised how much time people spend regretting or hiding their "sins." Then, at the end, the worst possible outcome is that you rest and everyone you leave behind is like "Wow, that vato was a straight shooter, but I'm not sad cuz he did a lot of cool shit and taught the people around him what to do so there's no panic when he's not helming the ship." The best possible scenario is that you get the above, PLUS spend eternal life with the celestial bodies of your loved ones where you can travel the universe to distant planets and jam out with dead musicians and eat without worrying about getting fat and stuff like that. :toast

ATRAIN
03-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Sucks about your sister. Life isnt fair.

As much as I wish death on you, i dont wish it on your family.

J.T.
03-23-2010, 01:46 PM
I believe when I die my version of heaven will be having a truck that never runs out of gas and a bag of weed that refills itself. I'll go on a never ending road trip, stopping to smoke joints with all the potheads who came before me.

Spurminator
03-23-2010, 02:38 PM
I believe it's Heaven or nothingness, but either way, it beats cancer.

Sorry you all are having to go through this... I'm sure you are making her experience the best it can be. You're a good brother.

symple19
03-23-2010, 03:05 PM
I believe it'll be nothing, but hope that I will end up in a gigantic harem with endless Ale and PC games.

Oh, and I'll still be able to follow sports on my movie screen sized, HD, plasma TV, while Jimi plays my personal soundtrack on a nearby stage

Blake
03-23-2010, 04:14 PM
I believe when I die my version of heaven will be having a truck that never runs out of gas and a bag of weed that refills itself.

how much would it suck if you ran out of matches

Blake
03-23-2010, 04:16 PM

I loled.

Lord Tebow I apologize.

CosmicCowboy
03-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Sucks about your sister. Life isnt fair.

Damn I needed to laugh.

Atrain you take cybersmack WAY too seriously.

tlongII
03-23-2010, 04:33 PM
My belief at this time is that we just repeat everything when we die. It's an endless loop. That would suck if you have a bad life, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me right now.

CosmicCowboy
03-23-2010, 04:36 PM
I took her to the Nasher Sculpture Center today. That's a very nice place.

Darrin
03-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Everything in life has taught me there is an ending. We do not exist before we live and we die and return to that state. The body stops functioning and there is no longer blood pumping through your brain, firing nerves, and regulating of the organ. The brain is personality. If you get into a car-wreck and suffer a brain injury severe enough, you can act in a different manner than you did before. Memories may be lost forever. If you have a stroke a similar thing happens.

I'm sorry you are about to lose a sister. I have lost my father in the time I've been posting here. Everyone is very supportive, as a general rule. This is one of the most difficult times to stick to my beliefs and share them because everyone wants to believe in an afterlife, to balm the pain of knowing we're about to lose someone close for good.

Sisk
03-23-2010, 04:51 PM
I think about all this way too often, as my Father died a few years back when I was 19. Same situation, cancer destroyed him and he couldn't speak or do much of anything for the last two weeks of his life. I hope there's something, and I believe your soul doesn't cease to exist, but we can't be sure of what exactly happens.

Live your life well, do good for others, and be a decent person. That's the way I see it. As others have said, find the good in this. You get to spend time with her, as I did with my Father.

Keep your head up sir

The Gemini Method
03-23-2010, 05:59 PM
I'm not sure what to believe after death. The scientist in me believes that there is decomposition and a return to the Earth as does all living organisms. As for the afterlife, there may be something out there, but without concrete proof--I don't know what to believe.

Anyhow, CC, my thoughts are with you and yours. I have dealt firsthand with cancer, and know all about the constant anguish you must feel. Watching my father pass away from it really showed me that even if we show an ounce of good spirits and overall support, it can lead to better morale in our loved ones. I know that my pops didn't want us to dwell, but as part of the human condition--we knew that keeping in perspective everything life has to offer made us cope with loss easier.

Shelly
03-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Sorry about your sister, CC, but I'm glad you're able to spend some quality time with her and have some laughs also.

CosmicCowboy
03-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Sorry about your sister, CC, but I'm glad you're able to spend some quality time with her and have some laughs also.

Thanks, Darlin.

Today was a good day. I'm just really emotionally tired. And maybe a little bit stoned too LOL.

Leetonidas
03-23-2010, 11:16 PM
I believe when I die my version of heaven will be having a truck that never runs out of gas and a bag of weed that refills itself. I'll go on a never ending road trip, stopping to smoke joints with all the potheads who came before me.

Dude that sounds pretty sick, not gonna lie. Don't forget though, you tolerance to weed never builds up either in this heaven.

InRareForm
03-24-2010, 12:08 AM
Sorry to hear about your sister :(

---

I really don't know what happens. I believe that there is something more than just decomposing. Our minds are one of the most incredible things in this universe. I don't know if dualism exists, but it is possible. If the mind and body are two different things, the possibilities are endless with what happens to us after death in my view. Whether it be the eternal heaven in religions we believe, the reincarnations beliefs, being a spirit floating in in the universe, etc.

If we take the materialistic approach, death will ultimately be nothingness. Some say this is a terrible thing to be nothing and timeless. I agree, but as Epicurus says, "“Death, the most frightening of bad things, is nothing to us; since when we exist death is not yet present, and when death is present, then we do not exist". Therefore since we don't experience death when it happens, it is not a terrible thing because we can't experience it. just like before we born, we had no sensory view of "life" and this wasn't terrible, it just was nothingness.

we live life fearing death because we want to experience things and have happiness because that is what LIFE is about (for many). We have the capability to be self aware, and realize the past and possible future. This is what makes the topic of death so dooming to us.

Scola
03-24-2010, 02:55 AM
Sorry about your Sis.

I think you just cease to exist, no heaven, no hell, nothing.

LnGrrrR
03-24-2010, 04:19 AM
To answer the question, I don't believe in an afterlife.

That makes it all the more important for me to enjoy and appreciate what I have. I can honestly say I'm extremely happy just being alive. And when I'm not alive, well, I won't be worrying about it, will I?

Make the most of your time, both for yourself and her CC. :toast

Dr. Gonzo
03-24-2010, 08:16 AM

Mine is something like that except I'm flying around space with a never ending joint.

BacktoBasics
03-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Sorry CC. I don't know what happens for her next but at least you're making the best of it now.

I hope you gain the strength to show her work I think we'd all appreciate it.

angel_luv
03-24-2010, 01:58 PM
B2B- Wonderful to see you back, sir. :)