PDA

View Full Version : Spurs at Thunder Previews

duncan228
03-21-2010, 11:37 PM
San Antonio (41-27) at Oklahoma City (42-26) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2010032225&prov=ap)
Game info: 8:00 pm EDT Mon Mar 22, 2010
TV: FSSW, FSOK
By Brett Huston

Kevin Durant was so furious with his performance in the Oklahoma City Thunder’s latest game that he felt the need to issue an apology to his teammates.

As long he can bounce back against the San Antonio Spurs, all will be forgiven.

A critical four-game homestand for the Thunder against fellow Western Conference contenders begins Monday night, when the Spurs visit the Ford Center looking to lock up their season series against Oklahoma City.

Durant’s offensive game has rarely been anything but impressive in his third NBA season, as the league’s second-leading scorer (29.5 points per game) has turned the Thunder (42-26) into a legitimate playoff contender.

Durant averaged 28.5 points but shot just 38.1 percent as Oklahoma City split the first two games of a three-game road trip, then delivered one of his worst games of the season Sunday. He was held to 16 points and 4 of 16 shooting - committing five turnovers - while the Thunder gave up a season high in points during a 121-101 loss to the Pacers.

“Tonight was a disgrace to how we play and the game of basketball, how we came out, and that starts with me,” Durant said after his lowest-scoring game in more than three months. “I apologize to all the fans, all my teammates that I came out like that, and it translated to my team.

“The best part about this league is we have a game tomorrow.”

Aside from a visit from the defending champion Los Angeles Lakers, San Antonio, Houston and Portland - the three teams directly below Oklahoma City - all visit the Ford Center in the next seven days.

Getting back on track against the Spurs (41-27) won’t be easy. Durant has averaged 27.0 points but shot just 39.7 percent in three games versus San Antonio, including two losses.

Jeff Green (21 points) and Russell Westbrook (19 points, 11 assists) were just as instrumental as Durant in Oklahoma City’s lone win, 101-98 at the AT&T Center on Nov. 14.

San Antonio began a treacherous eight-day stretch Sunday with a disheartening loss in Atlanta prior to games against the Thunder, Lakers, Cavaliers and Celtics. Manu Ginobili tied a season high with 38 points and Tim Duncan had 29 points and 13 rebounds, but the Hawks rallied from an early 14-point deficit to win 119-114 in overtime.

“I feel we gave this one away,” Duncan said. “With the stretch that we have, we can’t give any away.”

Duncan sat out the Spurs’ first trip to Oklahoma City on Jan. 13 to rest on the second night of a back-to-back situation, but with San Antonio trailing the Thunder by a game in the West standings, it’s highly unlikely he’ll be on the bench Monday.

Duncan’s day off in January gave rookie DeJuan Blair a chance to shine, and he had 28 points and 21 rebounds before fouling out of the Spurs’ 110-109 overtime victory.

It’s been Ginobili, though, who’s taken on an even bigger role for San Antonio with Tony Parker sidelined by a broken finger. The Argentinian has averaged 23.4 points and 5.5 assists in the last eight games with Parker out as the offense has been run primarily through him.

Ginobili made 9 of 18 shots and scored a game-high 26 points in a 95-87 home win over the Thunder on Feb. 24, helping make up for a few ugly performances versus Oklahoma City. The former Sixth Man of the Year missed all 18 shots he attempted in the Spurs’ first two games against the Thunder.

Team Stat Leaders

Kevin Durant OKC 29.7

Rebounds
Tim Duncan SA 10.3
Kevin Durant OKC 7.5

Assists
Tony Parker SA 5.7
Russell Westbrook OKC 8.0

oh crap
03-22-2010, 12:09 AM
both teams on a B2B should make it interesting. anytime Kevin plays well he is dangerous but if Manu gets hot the whole team plays inspired ball. might be fun...

TD 21
03-22-2010, 12:14 AM
This one has blow out loss written all over it. The Thunder are likely to be highly motivated coming off a loss to the lowly Pacers, meanwhile the Spurs, particularly Duncan (41 minutes) and Ginobili (45 minutes) are likely to be completely worn out, so expect a repeat of the Magic game. Duncan may not even play, but given where the Spurs are in the standings, he'll probably play and after the Spurs proceed to get blown out early, sit the remainder of the game. This is why losing to the Hawks, particularly in overtime, was costly. It didn't just count as one loss, it counted as two.

Sean Cagney
03-22-2010, 12:18 AM
This one has blow out loss written all over it. The Thunder are likely to be highly motivated coming off a loss to the lowly Pacers, meanwhile the Spurs, particularly Duncan (41 minutes) and Ginobili (45 minutes) are likely to be completely worn out, so expect a repeat of the Magic game. Duncan may not even play, but given where the Spurs are in the standings, he'll probably play and after the Spurs proceed to get blown out early, sit the remainder of the game. This is why losing to the Hawks, particularly in overtime, was costly. It didn't just count as one loss, it counted as two.

oh crap
03-22-2010, 12:24 AM
playing devils advocate here, with the lax schedule the Spurs enjoyed earlier in the season, with letting legs rest and wins come a bit easier, they could have easily put themselves in a completely different situation altogether. Blaming a b2b for anticipating losses speaks volumes about the long term outlook on the current lineup.

raspsa
03-22-2010, 04:04 AM
playing devils advocate here, with the lax schedule the Spurs enjoyed earlier in the season, with letting legs rest and wins come a bit easier, they could have easily put themselves in a completely different situation altogether. Blaming a b2b for anticipating losses speaks volumes about the long term outlook on the current lineup.

I had commented at the start of the season that this very stretch of tough games would actually be a welcome test for the team. I had no idea then the rough road the Spurs have had to this point but they just have to keep pounding the proverbial rock til it breaks -- or they do.

siraulo23
03-22-2010, 04:54 AM
im not even gonna bother watching this one

blowout~

BillMc
03-22-2010, 06:11 AM
We should always root for our team even if you suspect they'll lose.

I would like to see Pop rest Duncan tonight. I know he won't because of the standings, but we'll be in the playoffs even if it is as 8th seed. I really don't want the minutes to push Timmy over the cliff like last year.

silverblk mystix
03-22-2010, 07:47 AM
Durant is GUARANTEED to have another off night tonight---because of the spurs 1-2 defensive punch...

the CENTERPIECE ....followed by 6'1'' G.Hill with his 8' foot wingspan...

Charles Sappa
03-22-2010, 09:49 AM
If we win we were 6th in the West? My calculation is correct?

SpursRulez4eVeR
03-22-2010, 09:51 AM
i hope TD and manu take tonight off

shelshor
03-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Referee Assignments
Mon. Mar 22
San Antonio @ Oklahoma City: Eddie F. Rush; Pat Fraher; Eli Roe

jimo2305
03-22-2010, 01:39 PM
spurs can still win this.. yea we lost to atlanta but it wasn't a blowout..

i just hope we're not too banged up :-\

Chomag
03-22-2010, 01:46 PM
With Manu and Tim overused on the last game. Hopefully we can get our young guys into the game to match with them but I doubt it.

Hairston with only 3 minutes last night? So sad
Also Ian had 0 but that was more expected I guess.

DesignatedT
03-22-2010, 04:22 PM
any word on TD tonight? i know he will be lobbying to play but after playing 42 minutes last night pop might just sit em.

birdy219
03-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Referee Assignments
Mon. Mar 22
San Antonio @ Oklahoma City: Eddie F. Rush; Pat Fraher; Eli Roe

Unfortunately, we are in BIG trouble even if we had a chance at all. Rush hates all bigs and loves all wings.

Durant is destined for a free throw parade, while any big will be called for ticky tack fouls and they can get clobbered in the paint with no whistle. :depressed

It would be almost miraculous to win tonight's game. :bang

alchemist
03-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Spurs got this :ihit :flag:

duncan228
03-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Thunder Start Home Stand With Spurs (http://www.ksbitv.com/sports/88827742.html)
KSBI News
by Matt Pinto

The Thunder begin an important late March four game home stand tonight. All four games coming against Western Conference playoff hopefuls. Houston (36-32) visits on Wednesday, the Pacific Division front running 52-18 L.A. Lakers enter on Friday, Portland (42-29) is the OKC foe Sunday and tonight it's the 41-27 San Antonio Spurs. Both the Thunder and Spurs figure to be a bit ornery. 42-26 Oklahoma City was throttled yesterday afternoon 121-101 in Indiana, never leading against the lowly Pacers. San Antonio, currently a game and a half behind the Thunder in the Western standings, squandered a very late four point fourth quarter lead and lost in overtime 119-114 in Atlanta.

Both team pride themselves on having sturdy, tough to score on defenses, but both have fallen off a bit in that regard lately. Oklahoma City allowed Indiana a season opponents high 121 points yesterday, while San Antonio has yielded at least 110 points to three consecutive foes; losing two of those three games. Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich was resting future Hall of Fame 12-time All-Star power forward Tim Duncan (18.5ppg, 10.4rpg) one of the two games in back to back scheduling sequences earlier this season but because San Antonio is now (by their lofty standards) scrambling to make the playoffs, Duncan, who played last night and delivered a strong 29 point, 13 rebound showing against the Hawks, will play tonight. Richard Jefferson (12.2ppg, 4.2rpg), benched earlier this season due to ineffective play, is back in the starting line-up for the Spurs at small forward. And Manu Ginobili (15.3ppg, 4.8apg), San Antonio's long-time key cog off the bench, is now starting at shooting guard and coming off of a stellar season-high tying 38 point barrage last night. He joins second year man George Hill (11.9ppg, 2.8apg) in the starting back court. Hill is in for injured multi-time All-Star point guard Tony Parker who's mending a broken right hand.

The Spurs are weakened considerably by Parker's absence offensively. The Thunder must take advantage. That will only happen if Russell Westbrook is able to shake off effects of a stomach virus that limited him to a season low 17 game minutes yesterday. Russell will be looking to rebound from his first scoreless game as a pro. Thunder leading scorer Kevin Durant (29.6ppg) will also be looking for a strong bounce back effort after making just 4-16 shots from the field in a 16 point outing in Indy.

This young OKC squad has been incredibly resilient all season, posting an impressive 9-3 record the game immediately following road losses. It catches a Tony Parker-less Spurs squad a bit fatigued after a very late arrival in OKC in the wee-hours of the morning after a tough overtime loss in Atlanta. The Thunder need a win to split the season series with San Antonio 2-2. They need a victory to lengthen their lead to two and a half games for sixth in the West over the Spurs. And they'd like a triumph to get this home stand off on the right foot. There is plenty at stake tonight at the Ford Center.

temujin
03-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Rest Duncan and Ginobili for the Lakers.
They looked dead tired at the end of the game.

Last thing you want is an injury for these two, still the only apt players on this mediocre team.

Play the scrubs and watch them fight.
Any of them. It just doesn't matter.
If the game, miracolously, is still within reach in the 4th, play them and hope for the best.

Chomag
03-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Rest Duncan and Ginobili for the Lakers.
They looked dead tired at the end of the game.

Last thing you want is an injury for these two, still the only apt players on this mediocre team.

Play the scrubs and watch them fight.
Any of them. It just doesn't matter.
If the game, miracolously, is still within reach in the 4th, play them and hope for the best.

Would be nice but this is all to late now. This should have been done on day 1 of the start of the season. Because of all the piddle paddling in the beginning of the season it looks like Spurs might be in a fight of their lives just to get a playoff spot.

siraulo23
03-22-2010, 09:38 PM

blowout~

My bad

on a 2nd night of a back to back :wow

iminol
03-22-2010, 10:50 PM

blowout~

:madrun:danceclub:pop::pop::pop:

santymrc
03-22-2010, 11:06 PM
Hahaha Epic. All doooooooms, blow-outs talks, hahaha, it's epic, or just another FAIL to everyone of you...

jimo2305
03-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Hahaha Epic. All doooooooms, blow-outs talks, hahaha, it's epic, or just another FAIL to everyone of you...

spurs can still win this.. yea we lost to atlanta but it wasn't a blowout..

i just hope we're not too banged up :-\

lol woohoo.. i get a pass :downspin::flag:

santymrc
03-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Yeah.. couple of post were "ok". But the rest... hahahaha

jimo2305
03-22-2010, 11:39 PM

Tim and Manu will be tired unfortunately the others will be scared in their panties so I expect a blowout loss.

The Spurs will tie the game 6-6 (9:42) in the 1st. Then the Thunder will go on a 7-0 run and we will check out by that time.

blowout~

Unfortunately, we are in BIG trouble even if we had a chance at all. Rush hates all bigs and loves all wings.

Durant is destined for a free throw parade, while any big will be called for ticky tack fouls and they can get clobbered in the paint with no whistle. :depressed

It would be almost miraculous to win tonight's game. :bang

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/LAMONT.gif