PDA

View Full Version : Movies that are wrong about the future...

Duff McCartney
03-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Not that I figure any movie could get the future right and the things we have, but the more I look back on movies, the more I'm like damn, they must feel sheepish now that none of the shit they wrote about is even close.

One of the biggest ones is Back To The Future part II! We aren't even close to having any of those things in 5 years. No flying cars, no hoverboards, no thumb recognition for keys, no thumb recognition for money. No electronic waiters at restaurants. Kinda weird to think about.

Another movie that comes to mind is Demolition Man. We aren't close to the 2032 mark, but even in 1996 (which is the past in that movie, but at the time future to us in 1993) they had some technology that we don't have now. The one that comes to mind is when he gets frozen in water by some small little bead that's in a long metal rod.

Any others? I'm sure those of you that remember movies from the 60s and 70s can attest, back then..the year 2000 was the setting point for all futuristic events in film.

IronMaxipad
03-22-2010, 12:43 PM

Dex
03-22-2010, 12:49 PM
I always wanted one of the Pizza Makers from Back to the Future II.

Duff McCartney
03-22-2010, 12:51 PM
I always wanted one of the Pizza Makers from Back to the Future II.

No shit that would have been kick ass! I like the fact that every room has a fax machine in it, but now fax machines are close to becoming obsolete.

Spurminator
03-22-2010, 12:55 PM
I'm still holding out hope for the Hover Board.

Whisky Dog
03-22-2010, 01:04 PM
All those movies completely missed on the Internet, which is the driving technological factor today. Streaming movies, video, info like we do now would have seemed just as far fetched to me in 1985 as hover boards.

Although, I give them credit for the video conference where his boss fires him... If you hook up skype through a laptop to your tv you'd basically have that.

baseline bum
03-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Hopefully Idiocracy.

u8yoSAiwY18

Oh, Gee!!
03-22-2010, 01:14 PM
hot tub time machine

Spurminator
03-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Jury's still out on Total Recall. 74 more years until we find out.

sonic21
03-22-2010, 01:45 PM
12 monkeys

sonic21
03-22-2010, 01:52 PM
back to the future was spot on: tv glasses, watching multiple tv channel simultaneously, video conferencing, baseball team in miami...

coyotes_geek
03-22-2010, 01:54 PM

Basically, any movie ever made that had a year as the title.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Watched it last night. Blade Runner. 2019.

The Gemini Method
03-22-2010, 02:17 PM
The whole Tomorrowland section of Disneyland...

Trainwreck2100
03-22-2010, 02:38 PM
The Sixth Day

resistanze
03-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Gattaca

mookie2001
03-22-2010, 03:12 PM
What's back to the future

The Reckoning
03-22-2010, 03:28 PM
star trek. lol light speed...

oh yeah theyre going to waste all that money to go back in time and save the whales

and the black hole

and mission to mars... the dudes head would explode, not freeze, which would have made for better special effects anyway

Duff McCartney
03-22-2010, 03:32 PM
I was looking for specific examples. And years! Gattaca doesn't have a specific year that it talks about. It's just based in "the not too distant future".

Phenomanul
03-22-2010, 04:11 PM
The Island...

eyeh8u
03-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Escape from New York, that shit is hilarious

FD03Mm_OW1M

Shaolin-Style
03-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Starship Troopers, Bladerunner, The terminator movies, and the matrix movies off the top of my head

jack sommerset
03-22-2010, 04:40 PM
An Inconvient Truth

Duff McCartney
03-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Starship Troopers, Bladerunner, The terminator movies, and the matrix movies off the top of my head

How are Starship Troopers and The Matrix wrong about the future? Starship Troopers has no specific year and The Matrix is set in 2199. Have those years passed?

I'm talking about movies where the year in which it is set has passed or is a few years away and nothing is remotely close to that. ALA BTTF II and Demolition Man in 1996.

Sisk
03-22-2010, 08:39 PM

x 1,000,000

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-22-2010, 09:14 PM
OP, are you a simpleton? You actually expect hoverboards/cars? You expect the laws of physics to suddenly change some time soon? As for thumbprint recognition, it has existed for 20 years.

OTOH, literature has gotten it pretty much right. A cross between Brave New World and 1984 describes a lot of the world as it is, and certainly as it is soon to be.

mookie2001
03-22-2010, 09:18 PM
Please 4cc don't hurt em

Shaolin-Style
03-22-2010, 09:29 PM
How are Starship Troopers and The Matrix wrong about the future? Starship Troopers has no specific year and The Matrix is set in 2199. Have those years passed?

I'm talking about movies where the year in which it is set has passed or is a few years away and nothing is remotely close to that. ALA BTTF II and Demolition Man in 1996.

Your post was a little general to me but I get what you're after

But there's many reasons why those movies can be proven wrong about the future, distant or not.

CuckingFunt
03-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Gattaca

Jury's still out on that one. No year is specified. Same with eXistenZ.

CuckingFunt
03-22-2010, 09:59 PM

That can't be the only criteria. We haven't yet hit the years in which Alien and Aliens are meant to take place, but I'm pretty sure that even if we are on spaceships going from planet to planet by that time, the on-board computer isn't going to look like ENIAC and have 10-inch monochrome monitors.

baseline bum
03-22-2010, 10:01 PM
OP, are you a simpleton? You actually expect hoverboards/cars? You expect the laws of physics to suddenly change some time soon? As for thumbprint recognition, it has existed for 20 years.

OTOH, literature has gotten it pretty much right. A cross between Brave New World and 1984 describes a lot of the world as it is, and certainly as it is soon to be.

1984 was dead-wrong on Newspeak and its ability to control the population though. Chomsky destroyed the Sapir-Whorf conjecture that claimed one's thought was dependent on his natural language.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-22-2010, 10:03 PM
That can't be the only criteria. We haven't yet hit the years in which Alien and Aliens are meant to take place, but I'm pretty sure that even if we are on spaceships going from planet to planet by that time, the on-board computer isn't going to look like ENIAC and have 10-inch monochrome monitors.

:lol

As for us one day manning giant inter-planetary or interstellar spaceships, that will take a breakthrough in energy technology that seems virtually impossible. We'd have to discover how to safely harness nuclear fusion, and although the ITER project is optomisitic about that, I'm not.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-22-2010, 10:09 PM
1984 was dead-wrong on Newspeak and its ability to control the population though. Chomsky destroyed the Sapir-Whorf conjecture that claimed one's thought was dependent on his natural language.

Texting language has some similarities with Newspeak, as does a lot of the stuff that gets posted on message boards! :lol However, as far as mind control, you are right.

Orwell was dead on about DoubleThink which is clearly employed by the PR and media industries, on behalf of anyone with a bit of power/money, without anyone raising an eyebrow.

And many of Huxley's ideas have been borne out, particularly the growth of genetic engineering (which, like it or not, is heading in the direction of eugenics for the rich) and soma (look around - our economies are founded on feeding luxury to the masses to divert attention from what's really going on in the world).

SpursNextRomanEmpire
03-22-2010, 10:11 PM
gd0nQUF00Sg

IronMaxipad
03-22-2010, 10:27 PM
what's everyone's opinion of caddyshack ii? was it good, bad, or terrible?

on the mike judge scale, was it

beavis and butthead do america
office space
idiocracy
extract
King of the Hill

Cleveland Steamer
03-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Most of the technology in BTTF II, including hoverboards, already exsists in Japan. It's just going to take a few years to make it to the states.

Duff McCartney
03-22-2010, 10:59 PM

Are you a simpleton? I'm not advocating that the technology should be around. I'm simply stating that the movies got it wrong just in general. Hell technology in general has changed from what you thought was gonna be available in the future.

Prime examples, FMVs and video-phones. I remember in the early 90s seeing video phones that let you see the person you talk to and thinking god damn in 2010 we'll probably have that in every house! Now you can see who you're talking to!

In fact, quite the opposite has happened, now everyone has a phone/cell phone but the only way we communicate is through texts, if anything we've moved back a step as far as how close we want to be to communicate. We don't even want to hear each others voice, just words on a screen.

Duff McCartney
03-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Your post was a little general to me but I get what you're after

But there's many reasons why those movies can be proven wrong about the future, distant or not.

Yeah but at least in the cases I'm describing, we've all been alive to see it. The Matrix takes place in 2199 and none of us will be alive to know whether it is possible or not.

Same with Alien/Aliens. Or like Futurama, nobody knows what it's gonna be like a thousand years from now, but we actually live close to the time periods of say Back To The Future II.

Jacob1983
03-22-2010, 11:30 PM
Timecop

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Maybe in Australia, bitch

America is the fucking home of doublespeak! And soma rules your entire culture! Moron.

I'm simply stating that the movies got it wrong just in general.

Oh really? The movies (fictional stories sold to make money) got it wrong!? What a revelation! Thanks for making my point.

L.I.T
03-23-2010, 04:08 AM
Transformers: The Movie

LnGrrrR
03-23-2010, 05:05 AM
Gene Roddenberry gave himself a nice cushion with Star Trek. :lol

Duff McCartney
03-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Oh really? The movies (fictional stories sold to make money) got it wrong!? What a revelation! Thanks for making my point.

No shit they got it wrong. I'm not saying they were ever going to get it right. You're taking this thread much too seriously than I intended it to be.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-23-2010, 10:56 PM
No shit they got it wrong. I'm not saying they were ever going to get it right. You're taking this thread much too seriously than I intended it to be.

Sorry, Duff, was having a bad day. What I said still stands, but I didn't mean to annoy you.

As for you 4cc, get fucked. You know nothing about my country as you have repeatedly proven, so just STFU. The internet filter is a misguided attempt to make the internet safer for kids, but it is such a bad idea that it has been widely opposed and I doubt it will ever happen.

And why would you assume I'm a supporter of the Australian government? Just like governments across the democratic world, they are populists who only ever do enough to get themselves re-elected, and I hope the all die horribly.