PDA

View Full Version : Where have Blair's minutes gone?

sananspursfan21
03-22-2010, 10:14 PM
What happened? He was doing great, considered a top 5 rookie by most of the espn writers. over the last few weeks, i haven't seen him crack 20 minutes.

BanditHiro
03-22-2010, 10:15 PM
rookie wall i suppose he has been doing poor as of late

Chieflion
03-22-2010, 10:17 PM
He sucked post-ASG for some reason.

Mr.Bottomtooth
Rookie wall, is probably the easiest explanation. With a season under his belt, he should be back and be crashing the boards better than ever come next season.

Ice009
He has been average the last few weeks so his minutes are low.

He is not that great on defense and most taller players can just shoot over him.

SpursRulez4eVeR
03-22-2010, 10:18 PM
he gotta stop fouling after the opposing player got the rebound....

TD 21
03-22-2010, 10:20 PM
It's partially him struggling, partially the competition the Spurs are now facing, which means Duncan is playing extended minutes and because Pop rarely plays them together, since he has to have a big to stretch the floor with Duncan because as we all know he doesn't need help in other areas and can't possibly succeed any other way, Blair is the big who's minutes are being cut.

Bonner needs to shoot better to justify the amount of playing time he's receiving, particularly against athletic teams. Sure McDyess isn't shooting all that well, but he's rebounding very well and if the Spurs want to do anything down the stretch or in the playoffs, they better get him going and have him finishing games next to Duncan, because they're not going to beat credible competition with any consistency with Bonner finishing games. He can't make a big shot to save his life, can't guard anyone despite his best efforts and isn't rebounding.

SenorSpur
03-22-2010, 11:31 PM
It's partially him struggling, partially the competition the Spurs are now facing, which means Duncan is playing extended minutes and because Pop rarely plays them together, since he has to have a big to stretch the floor with Duncan because as we all know he doesn't need help in other areas and can't possibly succeed any other way, Blair is the big who's minutes are being cut.

Bonner needs to shoot better to justify the amount of playing time he's receiving, particularly against athletic teams. Sure McDyess isn't shooting all that well, but he's rebounding very well and if the Spurs want to do anything down the stretch or in the playoffs, they better get him going and have him finishing games next to Duncan, because they're not going to beat credible competition with any consistency with Bonner finishing games. He can't make a big shot to save his life, can't guard anyone despite his best efforts and isn't rebounding.
That's a huge problem, IMO. No matter how Bonner plays, Pop seems hell-bent on forcefeeding him minutes - even during crunch time.

Cane
03-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Blair hasn't been his "draft-steal" self since the rookie/sophomore game and especially after disappointing his family and home crowd. Also with Ginobili on the starting lineup and Blair on the bench; he doesn't get anywhere near as good of looks since Manu's the Spur whose really developed chemistry with the rookie.

He still makes an impact but teams are able to exploit his disadvantages more which includes his foul-proneness. I also think teams are actually respecting his scouting report after making a name for himself with those monster games.

santymrc
03-22-2010, 11:44 PM
DJB is playing his worst BB right now. Doing stupid fouls, T's etc. So his minutes went down, he has to play better. I'm affraid he can become another Malik Rose, hope not.

DesignatedT
03-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Blair hasnt been playing so well but imo i think thats actually a good sign.. when you had blair constantly going off for 20 points and double double games and being in the top 3 in FGA attempts every time it just seemed like something was off because him being a go to guy on offense isn't going to get us anywhere.

hes hit some sort of rookie wall but if he can come in and contribute on the boards and get a few easy buckets then thats all we need from him.

Frenzy
03-22-2010, 11:47 PM
More fine tuning on D and DJB will we one hell of a presence in the paint....not that he isn't already.

ffadicted
03-22-2010, 11:50 PM
he gotta stop fouling after the opposing player got the rebound....

This, I fucking hate this. He has to realize when he didn't win

TDomination
03-22-2010, 11:50 PM
. Also with Ginobili on the starting lineup and Blair on the bench;

I think thats it right there. Just like jefferson has been playing better with Manu, Blair also needed Manu and has regressed a bit since Ginobili was inserted into the starting lineup.

BillMc
03-23-2010, 03:21 AM
Rookie wall, rookie mistakes (fouls and bad rotations) and Manu moved to the starting lineup.

boutons_deux
03-23-2010, 05:52 AM
He's also been missing a lot of layups, putbacks, gimmes.

yep, has to be the rookie wall.

This JOB isn't as easy and fun as the October DJB thought it was.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-23-2010, 07:29 AM
Rookie wall, rookie mistakes (fouls and bad rotations) and Manu moved to the starting lineup.

This, and Pop filling his young and inexperienced quota with Hill in the starting five.

EmptyMan
03-23-2010, 08:53 AM
He's Dejuan F'ing Blair. The Phoenix will Rise!

silverblk mystix
03-23-2010, 09:17 AM
#1) the manu factor

#2) Bonner is getting his minutes

Death In June
03-23-2010, 09:47 AM
I think if he was allowed to play through his mistakes, we'd see the old Blair again, but that's just not gonna happen. We all know that despite Hill playing well last season, he was benched right in time for the playoffs.

alchemist
03-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Manu going into the starting lineup is what affected Blair, thankfully we know that the bench will be a beast when Tony comes back.

Obstructed_View
03-23-2010, 01:16 PM
See Hill, George - 2009.

SenorSpur
03-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Perhaps he has hit the rookie wall. He's making a lot of apparent fatigue mistakes, such as missed layups, lazy, reach-in fouls, and such. Of course, Blair seeing less court time with Manu hasn't helped either.

silverblackfan
03-23-2010, 02:06 PM

Granted I would like to see a few more games with Matt shooting well, but his percentages are pretty damn good.
FG: 0.471 3Pt: 0.413
Add in that he has made a good effort to expand his game.
Bonner is a solid role player. I would like McDyess to outplay him and be there in crunch time, but how you can say Bonner does not shoot well...

TD 21
03-24-2010, 12:44 AM
That's a huge problem, IMO. No matter how Bonner plays, Pop seems hell-bent on forcefeeding him minutes - even during crunch time.

It is. If the Spurs intend on doing anything in the playoffs, McDyess has to be the finisher at PF. Has to be. Bonner is a proven choke artist against quality opposition, particularly during crunch time.

Granted I would like to see a few more games with Matt shooting well, but his percentages are pretty damn good.
FG: 0.471 3Pt: 0.413
Add in that he has made a good effort to expand his game.
Bonner is a solid role player. I would like McDyess to outplay him and be there in crunch time, but how you can say Bonner does not shoot well...

I should have clarified. What I meant was against quality opposition, since he's completely deficient in virtually every other area of the game against the types of PF's many of those teams possess, he has to shoot a high percentage to justify his playing time and he doesn't do it. I don't have the numbers at my disposal at the moment, but I know he shoots terribly against quality opposition.

McDyess, poor as he's playing at the moment, should be closing games at this point (it's not like Bonner is drastically outplaying him). Pop just hasn't warmed to the idea of McDyess closing games all season, but if this team really thinks they're beating a playoff team in a series with Bonner playing down the stretch, then they've got another thing coming. They might be able to get away with him if he shot against playoff teams how he does against the dregs of the league, but he doesn't.

The Truth #6
03-24-2010, 07:02 AM
Dice has been playing but can't finish games. I wonder if he's getting the Bruce Bowen treatment. As in, they want him not to come back next year so they can save money and use it for trying to get Splitter. The other interpretation is "the whims of Pop".

Mel_13
03-24-2010, 07:47 AM
Dice has been playing but can't finish games. I wonder if he's getting the Bruce Bowen treatment. As in, they want him not to come back next year so they can save money and use it for trying to get Splitter. The other interpretation is "the whims of Pop".

So they start Dice, but don't let him finish in order to get him to ask to be released from his contract this summer?

Sounds reasonable.

The Truth #6
03-24-2010, 08:20 AM
From your response, I guess you think playing Bonner as our closer is a solid move. Dice is obviously better suited to finish the game than career choke artist Bonner. If a quality vet can't get minutes on this team over a career marginal role player, especially with Pops love for playing veterans, then I'd say they don't have long term plans for that player.

I mentioned another interpretation is the curious whims of Pop, which for most people is the same as saying he's an idiot.

Do you think Pop is an idiot? Do you think Bonner deserves to close out games? I'm curious how you see the situation.

Mel_13
03-24-2010, 08:25 AM
From your response, I guess you think playing Bonner as our closer is a solid move.

:lol

You would guess wrong.

I just can't place much credibility in the notion that the recent rotation pattern is part of some convoluted scheme to get Dice to request a release from his contract this summer.

Spurs7794
03-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Blair has played poorly lately. Everytime he gets the ball in the post, he tries to attack with a spin move or some crazy dribble and its not working. He was letting the game come to him earlier and playing awesome...lately, since Manu went to the bench, hes been forcing the issue.

Fabbs
03-24-2010, 08:51 AM
Rebounds per 48
1st 18.1 Dwight Howard
2nd 17.9 Samuel Dalembert
3rd 17.8 Marcus Camby
4th 16.2 DeJuan Blair

http://www.vegasondemand.com/EventImages/6f1ef80b-77ae-4f3e-b9f0-0b2e73f83685/default___Selected.jpg
Could someone photochop the cats as RJ, Bonner and Bogans?

The Truth #6
03-24-2010, 01:34 PM
:lol

You would guess wrong.

I just can't place much credibility in the notion that the recent rotation pattern is part of some convoluted scheme to get Dice to request a release from his contract this summer.

Just throwing out various theories. I don't think it's logical that he's getting lost in the rotation behind Bonner.

You seem to agree that Bonner shouldn't be playing at the end, yet I'm still waiting for an actual opinion on what you think is happening.

Mel_13
03-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Just throwing out various theories. I don't think it's logical that he's getting lost in the rotation behind Bonner, so something seemingly illogical might explain it.

You seem happy to chime in however I'm still waiting for an actual opinion on what you think is happening.

As usual in these situations, the most obvious answer is the most likely answer.

Pop thinks Bonner gives the team a better chance at winning the game.

Personally, I think Dice should be closing all close games in the RS and in the playoffs, but just because I disagree with the decision doesn't mean I'm ready to buy into bizarre theories. The notion that the decision is motivated by some devious plan to get Dice to ask out of his contract is just silly.

The Truth #6
03-24-2010, 01:58 PM
I want to believe that Pop is not an idiot and so there might be some other odd reason for his choices.

The team would love to save as much money as possible at this point, as they often have throughout the Holt years.

Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. We'll never know the answer really.

You fall on the Pop is an idiot side. I understand that. It makes sense, too. His rotations have been bizarre this year.

Mel_13
03-24-2010, 02:02 PM
I want to believe that Pop is not an idiot and so there might be some other odd reason for his choices.

The team would love to save as much money as possible at this point, as they often have throughout the Holt years.

Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. We'll never know the answer really.

You fall on the Pop is an idiot side. I understand that. It makes sense, too. His rotations have been bizarre this year.

Feel free to place yourself on whatever point on the Pop is genius/Pop is an idiot spectrum as you please, I'll make own views on Pop known as I see fit.

Thanks.

The Truth #6
03-24-2010, 02:08 PM
So you'll criticize someone else's views on a coach you don't agree with, without offering your own analysis? I just want to make sure I have your (lack of) opinion correct.

Mel_13
03-24-2010, 02:17 PM
So you'll criticize someone else's views on a coach you don't agree with, without offering your own analysis? I just want to make sure I have your (lack of) opinion correct.

You seem dead set on having an argument.

So, I'll review.

1. You posted in this thread and offered the theory that recent rotation decisions are based on a plan to get Dice to ask out of his contract this summer.

2. I commented on that post.

3. You replied with an assumption that because I found your theory unlikely I must therefore agree with the decision.

4. I rejected that assumption.

5. You insisted that I express an opinion on the decision.

6. I did.

7. You replied to my opinion with another assumption about my point of view.

8. I again rejected your assumption.

9. Now you say I haven't given my opinion.

10. I have. See point 6.

Obstructed_View
03-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Blair's fucking up in practice, just like Hairston and Mahinmi, and apparently like Ratliff.