PDA

View Full Version : Next Series

GSH
05-03-2005, 09:49 AM
Don't forget - Denver was "the team nobody wants to face in the first round". This was the team that finished the season 25-4. The team that went 19-1 in their last 20 games at home. The team that was scoring over 108 points per game. Their team is loaded with fast, athletic, young stars of the NBA - and they were on a roll.

The Spurs started the series with their super star (Tim Duncan) fresh off of an extended injury, and operating at about 80%; a beat-up all-star (Manu Ginobili) struggling with a groin injury that he hasn't had the luxury of letting heal; their starting center (Rasho Nesterovic) unable to play due to injury; their bench spark-plug (Devin Brown) unable to play due to injury; and a forward (Glenn Robinson) who had played his first game of the season, and his first game with the Spurs, just two weeks earlier. For good measure, you can throw in a rookie backup point guard (Beno Udrih) and a backup F/C (Tony Massenburg) who is about to turn 38 years old and has played for 11 teams in 11 NBA seasons.

On paper it looks like a tough series. In reality, it took a mental collapse at the end of the first half, and an 0-17 shooting drought in the fourth quarter, to allow Denver to squeak out a win in Game 1 and keep it from being a sweep.

If Denver was "the team nobody wanted to face in the playoffs", it's bad news for the rest of the teams that are left. The fact that the Spurs have learned how to win with Tim on the bench is worse news. But the worst news of all is that the Spurs are getting healthier. With all the injuries that came at the end of the year, it's hard not to think "What if?" Every day that passes brings them a little bit closer to full strength. At least three of their players won't be fully healed until the Summer, but they are going to get stronger than they were to begin the playoffs. And they've already manhandled The Team That Nobody Wanted To Face.

Extra Stout
05-03-2005, 09:59 AM
The next series should be a lot easier, barring a mental letdown.

Phoenix still looms. They won't be easy.

And whoever wins the East will be championship-caliber.

CosmicCowboy
05-03-2005, 09:59 AM
*tap*tap*tap*

glad my desk is wood.

boutons
05-03-2005, 10:08 AM
One series at a time.

This series is for exposing the Nuggets as this year's fakers, lucky not to be swept by the Spurs who went stone-dead cold in one 4th quarter.

But it ain't never over til it's over.

sa_butta
05-03-2005, 10:24 AM
One series at a time.

This series is for exposing the Nuggets as this year's fakers, lucky not to be swept by the Spurs who went stone-dead cold in one 4th quarter.

But it ain't never over til it's over.Agree 100% take it one at a time cant get caught up looking ahead yet. We still got business with Denver.

ctpsb
05-03-2005, 10:30 AM
Agree 100% take it one at a time cant get caught up looking ahead yet. We still got business with Denver.

I absolutely agree!!

Jimcs50
05-03-2005, 10:31 AM
This series is OVER

Next opponent will be a little tougher, if Seattle comes out of it, like it looks like will be the case, but SA should handle them. The biggest problem for SA will be to keep themselves focused on the task(series) at hand and not look ahead to Phoenix, Dallas or Houston.

I hope Sacto extends their series to a game 6 so SA can get one more day of rest though.

GoSpurs21
05-03-2005, 10:31 AM
The next series should be a lot easier, barring a mental letdown.

Phoenix still looms. They won't be easy.

And whoever wins the East will be championship-caliber.You obviously have not been watching the Sonics play. They will be alot bigger, younger and tougher down low than the nuggets. They will be alot harder to beat.

If you were talking about playing the kings I would agree with your statement but the sonics are about to advance to the 2nd round with a 4-1 series record tonight.

Jimcs50
05-03-2005, 10:32 AM
I absolutely agree!!

No way Jose does Denver win in SA.

This will not be close on Wednesday.

Solid D
05-03-2005, 10:37 AM
Jim, you may be right, but I don't think the Spurs are thinking that way. Old school Spurs fans like you don't need to be reminded of the 3-1 lead the Spurs had on the Bullets in the Eastern Conference Finals when Doug Moe coached the Spurs. That wound still hasn't scabbed over for some people.

jalbre6
05-03-2005, 10:38 AM
You obviously have not been watching the Sonics play. They will be alot bigger, younger and tougher down low than the nuggets. They will be alot harder to beat.

If you were talking about playing the kings I would agree with your statement but the sonics are about to advance to the 2nd round with a 4-1 series record tonight.

I've watched three games in this series, and I bet Denver, Houston, or Dallas would beat Seattle in a best of seven. Just like I think Denver is the best seven seed in recent memory, I think Seattle is the worst three seed in a while.

Sportcamper
05-03-2005, 10:42 AM
I disagree...Denver is a relatively inexperienced, weak team who has been on a lucky roll...They have no answer for Tim Duncan...The competition for the Spurs should get tougher as the next round continues...

nkdlunch
05-03-2005, 10:47 AM
If Denver was "the team nobody wanted to face in the playoffs", it's bad news for the rest of the teams that are left. The fact that the Spurs have learned how to win with Tim on the bench is worse news. But the worst news of all is that the Spurs are getting healthier. With all the injuries that came at the end of the year, it's hard not to think "What if?" Every day that passes brings them a little bit closer to full strength. At least three of their players won't be fully healed until the Summer, but they are going to get stronger than they were to begin the playoffs. And they've already manhandled The Team That Nobody Wanted To Face.

I think "team noone wanted to face in the 1st round" means that top seeded teams expect the 1st round to be easy, but Nuggets were not easy coming in. Look at those lucky bastards Heat, Pistons, Suns they had easy oponents, not the Spurs. I think 2nd round is gonna be tougher and 3d even tougher. Teams just take it up a notch as they advance.

But first, we have some unfinished business to take care of on Wed.

jalbre6
05-03-2005, 10:47 AM
I disagree...Denver is a relatively inexperienced, weak team who has been on a lucky roll...They have no answer for Tim Duncan...The competition for the Spurs should get tougher as the next round continues...

Seattle starting five:
Luke Ridnour
Ray Allen
Jerome James
Reggie Evans
Rashard Lewis

Denver:
DerMarr Johnson
Andre Miller
Marcus Camby
Carmelo Anthony
Kenyon Martin

You make the call.

SPARKY
05-03-2005, 10:49 AM
http://web.knoxnews.com/silence/archives/premature.jpg

Jimcs50
05-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Jim, you may be right, but I don't think the Spurs are thinking that way. Old school Spurs fans like you don't need to be reminded of the 3-1 lead the Spurs had on the Bullets in the Eastern Conference Finals when Doug Moe coached the Spurs. That wound still hasn't scabbed over for some people.

Yes Solid, we all remember that. But that team played no D whatsoever.

This team can win games when they can not shoot the ball for long stretches, as all teams do find themselves in those situation from time to time.

The reason is of course, their calling card.....DEFENSE.

The Spurs can flat out hold opponents in check for minutes at a time and even when teams do hit some shots, they have to work theoir asses off in the process and they ened up getting tired later on, as was the case last night....Denver just tuckered out when they needed to come through.

The Spurs are too good, too savy and too well coached to lose on Wednesday.

I would bet my retiremnt account of the Spurs winning the game on Wed....and I would not do that very often.

:smokin

Sportcamper
05-03-2005, 11:00 AM
I have watched the Kings series & Jerome James has teed off on his old team... Adleman is so ticked off at the rough play that he sent videos to the NBA to complain...

Luke Ridnour has stepped up his game...And I hear that Ray Allen is pretty good... :lol

Extra Stout
05-03-2005, 11:08 AM
If the Spurs count Game 5 as already won, then they're vulnerable. Teams can be beat while they are asleep.

Otherwise, Denver is coming apart at the seams, and will collapse if the Spurs put any pressure on them in Game 5.

But I still think Denver > Seattle. I mean, who's their tough grizzled playoff veteran leader? Camby at least has seen the Finals, and so has Martin despite his sorry-ass performances there. Sure, Ray Allen looks awesome while the Sacramento defense offers him all the discomfort of a fluffy pillow. What happens when he goes up against a real team with actual defense? So he made the ECF back in the 2001 when that conference had no teams. Big deal.

Seattle is at best the sixth best team in the West bracket. They're just lucky to have drawn the eighth best in Round 1.

Antonio Daniels is their most poised player.

jalbre6
05-03-2005, 11:11 AM
I have watched the Kings series & Jerome James has teed off on his old team... Adleman is so ticked off at the rough play that he sent videos to the NBA to complain...

Luke Ridnour has stepped up his game...And I hear that Ray Allen is pretty good... :lol

Yeah, so I've heard. :lol

I just disagree with you. We're very fortunate that the Spurs won two in Denver. This series had all the makings of a six or seven game series, and if SA is lucky enough to get out in five they will fucking bulldoze Seattle.

CosmicCowboy
05-03-2005, 11:17 AM
I'm just damn glad that Denver didn't catch Seattle in the last couple of weeks of the season...I would have hated to match up with Denver in the second round after they got a few playoff wins under their belt and a full head of steam...As it is I just hope Spurs can close this damn series out before someone gets hurt.

Jimcs50
05-03-2005, 11:24 AM
Seattle >>>>>>>Denver

jalbre6
05-03-2005, 11:25 AM
I'm just damn glad that Denver didn't catch Seattle in the last couple of weeks of the season...I would have hated to match up with Denver in the second round after they got a few playoff wins under their belt and a full head of steam...As it is I just hope Spurs can close this damn series out before someone gets hurt.

They got within three games of the Sonics after being something like 18-25 at one point to finish with 49 wins. A second round matchup with these Nuggets would have absolutely sucked.

orhe
05-03-2005, 11:28 AM
the sonics are a tough matchup.
rashard lewis = 6'10 triple threat (wish we still had hedo)
ray allen = the shiznits
on the other hand i expect TP and manu to break down the sonics every single time.
the sonics don't have a big shot-altering shot blocking threat so i guess we beat the sonics in 5.

if we play sacramento however we get a sweep

slayermin
05-03-2005, 11:34 AM
Yes Solid, we all remember that. But that team played no D whatsoever.

This team can win games when they can not shoot the ball for long stretches, as all teams do find themselves in those situation from time to time.

The reason is of course, their calling card.....DEFENSE.

The Spurs can flat out hold opponents in check for minutes at a time and even when teams do hit some shots, they have to work theoir asses off in the process and they ened up getting tired later on, as was the case last night....Denver just tuckered out when they needed to come through.

Kenny Smith and the Chuckster was talking about this after the game. The Spurs do not give you uncontested shots. Even if a guy is open, a Spur is going to run over and put a hand in the shooters face. No other team, with the exception of Detroit, does that.

Barkley also made a point about Ray Allen. Allen was not being challenged defensively by Sacramento. The Kings defense was so bad, that Barkley said it looked like Allen was shooting in the gym by himself.

Lonestar
05-03-2005, 11:39 AM
I truly believe that the Spurs (especially the coaching staff)have the experience to close this series out. I think the most important fact is that that the Spurs met a tough first round opponent while nursing some serious late season injuries and forced them to play Spurs basketball. The early loss helped show everybody (especially the new guys) how tough you have to play at this time of year. Other teams are now thinking about how to handle Manu, Tim and even Tony on any given night. I believe the Nuggets were the best dress rehearsal for facing the Suns the Sonics. The fact will remain that the Spurs defense forces teams to play a SA style.

T Park
05-03-2005, 11:42 AM
If you guys think Parker and Ginobili are having big series now.

Wait till the Sonics.

Open layups galore.

Aint a shot blocker on the team like a Camby or a Kenyon Martin.

IMO, Spurs will sweep Seattle.

Extra Stout
05-03-2005, 11:47 AM
Jerome James' thug act works against cottonballs like Brad Miller.

It won't fly against the Spurs. James puts up numbers right now because the Kings wilt when the play gets physical. James is a scrub.

Bowen already is in Ray Allen's head.

I respect Rashard Lewis' game, and note that the Sonics' late-season slide coincided with his injury problems.

But it still doesn't change that these guys have no experience in how to respond to serious playoff pressure, save Antonio Daniels.

Denver > Seattle.

The Sonics are at heart a no-defense, jump-shooting team. Such teams are easy pickings in the playoffs, except when they play another no-defense jump-shooting team.

slayermin
05-03-2005, 12:08 PM
Jerome James' thug act works against cottonballs like Brad Miller.

Miller doesn't look healthy at all. Plus that brace looks very cumbersome. I think James can thank Miller's health, more than anything else, for his success against Sac.

foodie2
05-03-2005, 12:30 PM
As it is I just hope Spurs can close this damn series out before someone gets hurt.

I agree. But I'm even more worried about injuries in a Sonics series. Danny Fortson is a worse thug, if possible, than K-Mart. Poor Manu--I'm already hurting, just thinking about him running into that goon.

myhc
05-03-2005, 12:35 PM
I think we'll take the Sonics but sweeping them? I don't think so. They're at full strength right now with Radmanovic back so they now have 4 guys (Radmanovic, Allen, Lewis, Ridnour) who can hit the 3. Plus they have 4 big men aka 24 fouls they can throw at Duncan. Yea, they're a jump shooting team and they live and die by it. But when they're on, even a great defensive team like the Spurs won't be able to stop them. I'd say Spurs in 6.

TwoHandJam
05-03-2005, 01:01 PM
I'm not sure the Sonics will be easier to beat than Denver. Don't get me wrong, Denver has proven to be tough and is the ultimate tuneup for the Suns but Seattle does present problems for us.

Their bigs are even bigger and more physical than Denver's frontline. James, Fortson and Evans are all goons who play very physical. I hope we close out Denver in 5 because Manu is going to need the rest to take the pounding these guys will dish out. It will be easily as bad as Denver.

I'm fairly confident about Bowen being able to take Ray Ray out of his game but I'm sure he'll go off on us in at least a couple of road games. When he heats up, he is very hard to stop.

The player I'm most worried about however is Lewis. We simply have no answer for him. He is a horrible matchup for us and can go off for 20+ points on any given night. To make things worse, they've got Radmanovich back. He is no lewis but he can kill you from the outside and he's got the same body type as Lewis = bad matchup for us as well.

If Bowen is doing full time duty on Ray Ray, who is going to cover these guys? This is the first series where I think we'll really need to get something from Big Dog or Devin to prevail. Bowen is going to have his plate full with Allen so we're going to need guys like Horry, Big Dog and Devin to step up their games in matchups that are unfavorable.

Manu and Barry will be able to do some spot duty on these guys but all things considered, they prevent big matchup problems for us.

myhc
05-03-2005, 01:03 PM
Do you think Robert is quick enough to stay with Vlad?

TwoHandJam
05-03-2005, 01:08 PM
Do you think Robert is quick enough to stay with Vlad?
No, but he is crafty enough to do spot duty on him. We'll need him to be sharp against guys like him and Lewis.

Mr. Body
05-03-2005, 01:16 PM
Denver's front line is scarier than Seattle's. But Seattle's is effective in knowing their roles well: go crazy for every offensive rebound in sight, which come off the rim hard on missed long-balls. Otherwise, for physicality and shot-blocking and toughness, I'd take Denver any day, no question.

If I'm Seattle I can't feel very good about facing San Antonio. Ray Allen has proven to be emotionally bothered by Bowen and Rashard Lewis hasn't had a huge impact this postseason, which he absolutely must.

I see two games where the Sonics shoot lights-out and win, but the problem is the Spurs can score on them pretty well this year, too. As the series goes on, the Spurs defense will twist tighter and tighter.

Jimcs50
05-03-2005, 01:32 PM
Denver can not hits 3s very well, they are much easier for SA to guard than Seattle is with all their shooters along with their dribble penetrators. Seattle is much better than Denver, I was not worried about Denver at all...you stop their penetrations and fastbreak, you stop them....that is what SA does best.

SA has been beaten by 3s this year.

SpursFanDan
05-03-2005, 01:36 PM
Like many of us realist have said already, lets not jump to conclusions... the series isnt over.. and I dont think denver is just gonna give up.

GSH
05-03-2005, 01:49 PM
LOL... I think the Spurs will manage to keep focused on one game at a time, even if I do look forward to the second round. I would bet the house and car against Denver winning the next three in a row, so I am going to exercise my prerogative to look ahead.

I never said that the Sonics or the Kings would be easy. I said that the Spurs have learned how to win with Tim on the bench, if necessary. And that makes them an even better team when Duncun is in the game and healthy. I also said that they came into the playoffs seriously depleted, but they are getting healthier with each day that passes. They started Game 1 of the playoffs with essentially a 9-man roster (two players hurt, and one with only a few games under his belt this season). They have done pretty good so far. Do you disagree that getting Devin and Rasho back, and more practice time for Robinson, will make them better? That's all I said.

You can all say whatever you want to about the strength of the Nuggest vs. the Sonics or the Kings. But Denver was playing in the Western Conference when they were racking up that 25-4 record, and scoring 108 points per game. You may know that the Nuggets are fakes, but there are a lot of good NBA teams that didn't get the memo. And, in case you've forgotten, Denver kicked the crap out of both Sacramento and Seattle in the last month.

There is not a team in the league that would be happy about a 7-game series with the Spurs, if they had everyone at full strength. And their bench players are much better as a unit, because of all those minutes they got due to the injuries. If all their players were at 100%, I think they would be a lot scarier than they were in the middle of the season. I said it was bad news for the other teams that the injuries are healing more every day. I stand by that. They are still a long way from a championship. But which team do you think has made the biggest statement in the playoffs so far? Phoenix for beating Memphis? Miami for beating the Nets? Houston and Dalas for losing two games at home each? You can bet the other teams had their eyes on this series.

TMSKILZ
05-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Sonics are a hard match up b/c they can shoot the ball well unlike Den. Allen has a sweet storke, Lewis when healthy is a monster, don't know who we can match on him.

JJames has shown this yr he's a thug, talking trash to TD earlier this yr. TP & Manu ahve to come through, but let's finish this 1st Rd 1st OK?

BigVee
05-03-2005, 02:43 PM
Ijusthope the team is completely focussed on winning tomorrow. They should be, they have been there. But, as you have all noticed, weird shit happens to the Spurs....like TD v boykins on a jump ball...I would have bet the Nuggets would come up with the ball...or boykins scoring at the end of the half...half court shots, Okur at the buzzer, unreal turnovers at the worst possible time. The Spurs often have to do things the hard way. I hope this isn't one of those times.

Spurs košarka kultura
05-03-2005, 02:58 PM
You obviously have not been watching the Sonics play. They will be alot bigger, younger and tougher down low than the nuggets. They will be alot harder to beat.

If you are gauging their performance by the way the have played aganist the hapless Kings, then they are truly screwed. James, Fortson, and Evans will not look as good banging inside with a rested Spurs team. As for their win on Dec 8th at the SBC, what can I say other than that was my Birthday, and bad things always happen on my Birthday. So the Spurs get a pass on that one, bring on the Sonics! Granted we remember to finish this series, which I truly believe we shall.

P.S. Thanks for going into fucking overtime Spurs, I lost all my freaking vbookie cash because of that shit, now I'm freaking broke. Do I need to hold a sign saying "Will ball for vbookie cash!" or am I doomed to be flat broke throughout my tenure on Spurstalk?