PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' fans, who would you have rather signed instead of Jefferson now looking back?

Donkeybong
03-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Signing Jefferson is obviously the worst move you guys made last summer. The guy has no impact on the games and didnt put you back at an elite level as many of you thought. So, if you could have a mulligan, who would you choose instead?

Leetonidas
03-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Anyone? LeBron James. :lol

Honestly though, and I'm sure most Spurs fans will agree with me, if we could have a different swingman instead that is actually a conceivable option (i.e., not LeBron, Melo, Durant, Granger, etc) I would pick Stephen Jackson over Jefferson, definitely.

alchemist
03-23-2010, 12:12 PM
You still sign RJ considering that you can dump him next season if all hell breaks loose (aka Manu not resigning)

ForeignFan
03-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Nicolas Batum

EmptyMan
03-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Spend the money instead on turning Dejuan Blair into Jax from Mortal Kombat.

DesignatedT
03-23-2010, 12:23 PM
we didnt sign anyone. we traded for him...

Shastafarian
03-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Signing Jefferson is obviously the worst move you guys made last summer.

http://cdn0.knowyourmeme.com/i/1572/original/shark.jpg

lefty
03-23-2010, 12:47 PM
I miss Jax :pctoss

TimmehC
03-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Artest. He may not be the prototypical "Spurs guy", but we could use someone with attitude, as well as someone who takes command and is the unquestioned leader of the team on the defensive end of the floor.

Muser
03-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Ariza.

HarlemHeat37
03-23-2010, 01:42 PM
In hindsight and with wishful thinking, I would have traded the expiring contracts for a big man and then signed Ariza..either that or traded the expiring contracts for Captain Jack..

SenorSpur
03-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Ariza - no question.

Younger, cheaper and coming off a championship team. Would've been more of a seamless fit for the Spurs than RJ.

However, I still long for Nic Batum. :lol

ChumpDumper
03-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Anthony Tolliver, since he actually could have been signed.

DPG21920
03-23-2010, 04:41 PM
Have you guys not seen Ariza play?:lmao Dick is having a better season than Trevor. Trevor will go down as the most stupid person in the history of the game.

Roles son. Learn yours and other peoples.

DPG21920
03-23-2010, 04:45 PM
You still think you winning 50 games?:lol

Yes.

HarlemHeat37
03-23-2010, 04:45 PM
http://pointlessbanter.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/stop-snitching-300x274.jpg

birdy219
03-23-2010, 05:32 PM

Honestly though, and I'm sure most Spurs fans will agree with me, if we could have a different swingman instead that is actually a conceivable option (i.e., not LeBron, Melo, Durant, Granger, etc) I would pick Stephen Jackson over Jefferson, definitely.

THIS X100,000,000,000 :king

SenorSpur
03-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Have you guys not seen Ariza play?:lmao Dick is having a better season than Trevor. Trevor will go down as the most stupid person in the history of the game.

I have but I believe it's a matter of role integration. Ariza would've been a better fit for the Spurs because he wouldn't have had the same burden of offensive responsibility. By the same token, RJ would've likely been a better fit for Houston because he would've had been one of the top 2 offensive options and would've had more offensive freedom.

DesignatedT
03-23-2010, 05:49 PM
ariza is very overrated. i would have liked haywood mid season.

BlackSwordsMan
03-23-2010, 05:51 PM
nate robinson

SenorSpur
03-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Listen good. Ariza was a scrub on our team. He was a scrub before he came to our team, and a scrub after our team. It took Luke Walton to beg PJ to let Ariza start, now that's saying a lot!!! The guy had a couple of highlights in his brief Laker career and not much else. You could have had Ariza and Dick, and the Spurs still would have had a fucked up season.

Wow!

peskypesky
03-23-2010, 07:22 PM
i don't think the problem is RJ. he actually has good games when Manu and/or Hill are passing him the ball. but when Parker is out there, RJ disappears because Parker is a mediocre passer. You put RJ on the Suns, the Mavs, the Jazz, he'd be having a nice season.

Spursfan092120
03-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Truth is, RJ is stepping up now..and I hope it continues when Tony gets back. He seems to conflict with Tony on the court.

Lars
03-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Ariza has actually been pretty decent lately.

ezau
03-23-2010, 09:38 PM

If I'm not mistaken, Jackson asked for a trade right after Jefferson signed with the Spurs.

ezau
03-23-2010, 09:43 PM
RJ is doing ok now. All he needed is somebody who can pass him the ball on a consistent basis and that's what Manu and Hill are doing right now. It would be interesting how POP will react when Parker gets back from his injury though.

Brazil
03-23-2010, 10:08 PM
Not sure the biggest issue is RJ for me it was a no brainer for the spurs: they tried to give a shot for Tim to get another ring. It didn't work out as expected but I would have done the same.

For me the biggest roster "mistake" is Dice. We needed a young guy capable to help Tim inside like thomas, haywood or Ian ... wait...

Leftyventricle
03-23-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm just glad we didn't get Rasheed Wallace.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-24-2010, 02:27 AM
Jax. He's a game-changer. He has a long contract, but I think he would have made us a contender this year and possibly the next two. Instead, he and Larry have transformed Charlotte from squashed bug to serious pest status.

And I agree with Brazil that missing out on a prospect like Thomas (who we could have had for virtually nothing) was a mistake, and that Haywood would be a nice fit here too (he's a FA in the offseason IIRC). I admit that I campaigned for Dice in the offseason, based on his performance last year (10/10), defense, and legs that should be a lot younger than his age, and he has been a moderate disappointment. Sheed would have been worse though, and I was right about that all along! ;)

spurs10
03-24-2010, 02:48 AM
RJ is doing ok now. All he needed is somebody who can pass him the ball on a consistent basis and that's what Manu and Hill are doing right now. It would be interesting how POP will react when Parker gets back from his injury though.
Yeah it will be interesting. I just wonder if we'll have the firepower if Manu and RJ come off the bench. If TP, Hill. and Tim can score, then we'd have a powerful badass bench. you'd think RJ would be better in the starting lineup than Bogans. We need someone willing to attack the boards and the basket.

Scola
03-24-2010, 03:07 AM
I still like Cap Jack, really disappointed in RJ.

ezau
03-24-2010, 03:57 AM
Yeah it will be interesting. I just wonder if we'll have the firepower if Manu and RJ come off the bench. If TP, Hill. and Tim can score, then we'd have a powerful badass bench. you'd think RJ would be better in the starting lineup than Bogans. We need someone willing to attack the boards and the basket.

RJ playing alongside Parker was disastrous to say the least. RJ ended up like Bowen spotting for corner threes that he can't even make. I dunno, I think it's better that we should stick to the current lineup and let TP come off the bench. Imagine TP being guarded by second-tier PGs from other teams, he's gonna score a ton of points for the second unit.

TP is simply a score-first PG and he's most effective that way. If we make him pass the ball more, it's just like telling him to forget about his greatest strength, which is to score.

venitian navigator
03-24-2010, 04:36 AM
RJ playing alongside Parker was disastrous to say the least. RJ ended up like Bowen spotting for corner threes that he can't even make. I dunno, I think it's better that we should stick to the current lineup and let TP come off the bench. Imagine TP being guarded by second-tier PGs from other teams, he's gonna score a ton of points for the second unit.

TP is simply a score-first PG and he's most effective that way. If we make him pass the ball more, it's just like telling him to forget about his greatest strength, which is to score.

Considering the way things have worked out, I like this perspective...
It changes the roles, from manu to Tony, for being the "game changer" coming from the bench.
Give Tony a better way to come back in shape, against weaker players and with a line up made for him to be the main offensive player (I think to a line coming from the bench of Parker - Bogans - Mason/Hairston - Bonner - Tim/Dice) with alternative weapons of the pick and Roll with Timmy and the real spot up shooters) letting Blair and Jefferson play with Manu.

If all works well, our bench could immediately re-gain the reputation of one of the best benches in the league...while our staring line up is becoming better and better also without Tony.

Quasar
03-24-2010, 11:36 AM
I doubt pop will let his boy Tony come off the bench to replace Manu... Pop loves Manu but has been playing with his minutes ever since he came. Never been the case with Tony who plays the most minutes out of all the Spurs.

cheguevara
03-24-2010, 11:40 AM
haywood and Butler

SenorSpur
03-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Not sure the biggest issue is RJ for me it was a no brainer for the spurs: they tried to give a shot for Tim to get another ring. It didn't work out as expected but I would have done the same.

For me the biggest roster "mistake" is Dice. We needed a young guy capable to help Tim inside like thomas, haywood or Ian ... wait...

Yeah for real. Missing out on Tyrus Thomas was a mistake. Think having a PF like him would've helped against teams like the Hawks, Thunder, Cavs and Fakers? His presence would help Duncan a heckuva lot more than running Matt Bonner out there in crunchtime.

j.dizzle
03-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Dick isnt playin that bad lately but he doesnt do what the spurs need most...defense..Hes attacking the basket more on O but his defense is average at best...The spurs biggest weakness is size which they didnt take care of in the offseason..Duncan is not the same defensive stopper as he used to be & Mcdyess is old..The next best big they have is 6 foot 6 & that isnt gonna beat teams with two or three 7 foot athletic bigs. Only way Spurs can beat teams like LA, Denver & Dallas in a series if if they shoot ridiculous from three. I really do think SA can take Denver to 6 or 7 games though, they play well vs them & match up with them since Denver only has one consistent post player in Nene.

benefactor
03-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Why couldn't Jack have demanded a trade earlier?

:bang