PDA

View Full Version : Manu & Real Madrid

PeterBurns
03-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Manu just retweeted the report of Real Madrid's interest in him on his official Twitter page with the remark. "Ah Bueno!"

Ah bueno! RT @coronelclaudio: Epa!-> @SLAMonline Real Madrid Interested in Manu Ginobili http://dlvr.it/LQ83 @manuginobili

Interesting that he would even talk about the topic. Method to the Madness?

Sausage
03-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Re-sign him NOW! I can't picture Manu in another uniform.

PeterBurns
03-23-2010, 12:54 PM
There was a good thread about it earlier here. I've only heard guesstimates from media types at AT&T Center, and best guesses were 3 years / $8-9mil/yr

nkdlunch
03-23-2010, 12:54 PM
translates to "mmm, ok!"

MaNuMaNiAc
03-23-2010, 12:56 PM
"Ah Bueno" is actually used here in Argentina as an expression of shock and sometimes disbelief. I think this is him saying something like "well, what do you know..." after just having found out. Doesn't mean anything really.

nkdlunch
03-23-2010, 12:58 PM
yup could mean just like "whatever"

"Manu, I can beat you in 1-1"

"ah, bueno!"

PeterBurns
03-23-2010, 01:05 PM

"ah, bueno!"

Yeah..Not trying to start a fire out of nothing. Just weird to see any player in the contract year remotely say anything good, bad, or indifferent about a potential new team when under contract.

igruex
03-23-2010, 01:23 PM

"ah, bueno!"

Not really,

"Ah bueno" means something like "Wow" (he's half shocked/surprised about it).

SenorSpur
03-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Resign him to an extension - NOW!

He IS the Spurs best point guard.

Bartleby
03-23-2010, 01:55 PM
So this is really a test of Timmy's character than anything else.

:rolleyes

Taladro
03-23-2010, 02:02 PM
So this is really a test of Timmy's character than anything else.

Ah Bueno!:lol

Mel_13
03-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Well If he hasn't had one inkling of a conversation all year about an extension then this is a cattle prod to the current spurs management to start getting things done.

Manu's agent has been quoted recently that he has had ongoing informal contact with the team.

Really the only logical course of action is for Timmy to renegotiate an extension like David Did so that he Manu and Tony can all get paid fairly.

So this is really a test of Timmy's character than anything else. David was and IS a character guy above ALL OTHERS. He is the standard bearer, the Alpha and the Omega in that Department as far as Spurs Players past present and Future.

If Timmy is not on board then we can all pretty much say adios y vaya con dios to Manu...

Duncan is under contract through 2011-12. The amount of the contract cannot be renegotiated downward. When he signed the extension in 2007 that covers the last two years of his contract, he accepted approximately 10M less than the maximum. There is nothing more that Duncan can do to help the team's financial situation.

TimmehC
03-23-2010, 02:13 PM
It'd be nice if RJ re-negotiated his final year. Or better yet, if he opted out.

waly.mg
03-23-2010, 05:04 PM
PLAYER WHO AREN´T BETTER THAN MANU (Only someones)

And not the Bull SH than Rashar Lewis, +20 millions contract or JoJo

Salaries for the next year

Hedo Turkoglu +10 millions
Kevin Martin +10
Peja Stojacovic +14
Vince Carter +16
Jason Terry +10
Caron Butler +10
Billups +13
Hamilton Prince and Gordon +10

Others:
Boris Diaw 9 mill
Hinrich 9 mill

The best choise for the spurs isn´t 2-3 years 20 millions:

Probably the best is 5 years and 40 millions, starting at 7, with the fifth parcially guaranteed, and can save a couples of millions in Luxury tax for the next three season

Remember that: McDyess sign for 3 years, so Manu can sign a long one

And why, because teams like the knicks can offer a 5 year contract, and if the spurs offer a 20 millions 3 years, is always better 40 for the rest of his career

Bruno
03-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Fact: other NBA teams will be only allowed to offer Manu a contract that is 3 years or less long.

Before imagining some wild scenarios, you have to consider it.

And Manu going back in Europe will be a semi retirement. The level in Europe is light year behind the NBA level. If you are a basketball player who is even only slightly a competitor, NBA is the only choice.

DesignatedT
03-23-2010, 05:38 PM
manu isnt going anywhere. he knows it and the spurs know it

Sisk
03-23-2010, 06:37 PM
manu isnt going anywhere. he knows it and the spurs know it

DAF86
03-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Fact: other NBA teams will be only allowed to offer Manu a contract that is 3 years or less long.

Why is that?

Bruno
03-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Why is that?

Because Manu is old.

ChumpDumper
03-23-2010, 07:29 PM
The amount of the contract is 40 million over the next two season it can be extend to 55 over 3 or 60 over 4 thus bringing down the yearly cap spaceIt doesn't work that way. Contracts cannot be negotiated downwards. Even if payments are deferred as they have been in the past. the cap hit each year would be the same.

Anyway, the Spurs, by not indulging in Spurs Talk fantasy trades for lesser players, should have enough money to sign Manu to the kind of offer any other team would make to him.

Mel_13
03-23-2010, 07:41 PM
The amount of the contract is 40 million over the next two season it can be extend to 55 over 3 or 60 over 4 thus bringing down the yearly cap space

That is not possible under the CBA. There is nothing further that Duncan can do to affect the cap situation in 2010-11 or 2011-12. It's simply not allowed.

that is exactly what David did when he renegotiated his deal...taking LESS PER YEAR that his original deal was giving him

That never happened. Robinson was a free agent after the 2000-01 season. The new contract he signed in the summer of 2001 was for two years and a total of 20M. The annual amount was less than his previous contract, but not as a result of renegotiation. The previous contract had ended and a new one was signed.

Duncan is under contract through 2011-12. Nothing can change the amount of that contract or the amount of cap space it occupies.

DAF86
03-23-2010, 07:43 PM
Because Manu is old.

I thought you were talking about an actual contract situation.

You confuse me with the way you phrased the comment.

So is not that Manu can't get a 3 years+ contract, it's just that is highly unlikely.

exstatic
03-23-2010, 07:45 PM
The amount of the contract is 40 million over the next two season it can be extend to 55 over 3 or 60 over 4 thus bringing down the yearly cap space

the Idea that I was saying that he would take less is quite absurd obtuse and typical of Spurs talk Posters...

that is exactly what David did when he renegotiated his deal...taking LESS PER YEAR that his original deal was giving him

A fair deal for Manu is a 35 mil extension but than can only be done with Tim renegotiating the last two years...

TEST OF CHARACTER...
Rapidly approaching new forum idiot territory.

Hey fuckstick, that's not "do-able". The next two years of his contract are chiseled in stone. They cannot be worked down OR up. The NBA did this to protect the teams from players wanting to hold their teams over a barrel to get more money.

You're really coming across as a know-nothing blow hard. Bluster and bullshit gets you no cred in this forum. Read up on the current Collective Bargaining Agreement, and don't post for a while, like maybe until you know what you're talking about.

Bruno
03-23-2010, 07:55 PM
I thought you were talking about an actual contract situation.

I'm talking about an actual contract situation called the "Over-36" rule":
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q49

The max length of Manu's contract is 3 years if he signs with another NBA team and 4 years if he re-signs with Spurs.

DAF86
03-23-2010, 07:59 PM
I'm talking about an actual contract situation called the "Over-36" rule":
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q49

The max length of Manu's contract is 3 years if he signs with another NBA team and 4 years if he re-signs with Spurs.

Well that was what I didn't know and wanted someone to explain to me.

Danny.Zhu
03-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Resign him now.

ChumpDumper
03-23-2010, 09:01 PM
That would be kind of imprudent before at least having a good idea what the cap number will be.

ChumpDumper
03-24-2010, 03:27 AM
Contracts cannot be renegotiated downward (players can't take a "pay cut" in order to create salary cap room for the team) or to contain fewer seasons. You quoted it and underlined it, now read it and try to understand it.

jason1301
03-24-2010, 03:41 AM

Before imagining some wild scenarios, you have to consider it.

And Manu going back in Europe will be a semi retirement. The level in Europe is light year behind the NBA level. If you are a basketball player who is even only slightly a competitor, NBA is the only choice.

that is very ignorant of you to say.... I wouldn't bother replying but you are one the posters I respect around here.

At any rate, here is what pop had to say about the final four last year

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Blogging-Through-the-Euroleague-Final-Four-3202/

Gregg Popovich: Oh sure. I’m much more anal in that sense. In this game for example I saw a great out of bounds play that I’m going to steal for sure. I like to see how different coaches manage the game. How they sub. What they’re doing offensively and defensively.

that wouldn't be the case if NBA is years ahead would it be?

Josh Childress also tends to disagree with you.

At any rate, I am not going to waste any more of my time. NBA by clearly #1, but Euroleague is not as far behind as some of you think.

Manu playing in Europe would be tits... I just hope he NEVER leaves the Spurs.

BillMc
03-24-2010, 10:02 AM
Back on topic (or close to it) does anyone think Real Madrid is a real threat to us? More than other NBA teams? Just askin'

SpurCharger
03-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Back on topic (or close to it) does anyone think Real Madrid is a real threat to us? More than other NBA teams? Just askin'
Yes Because Manu Ginobili Is Probably A top 3 Player Outside The States, He is Very Popular Everywhere else.... The Only people Who Like Manu In The states are spurs Fans.... I think All Manu Wants Is to feel Wanted, And He is not getting that from the spurs right now.

Dex
03-24-2010, 10:33 AM

No.

Manu could make more money over in Europe, but that's been the case for a while now. American taxes are a huge drain, plus the Euro is riding sky high and the dollar is in the shitter, and Euro-clubs will pay exorbinant amounts of money to sign big name players.

That being said, players dream of making it to the NBA for a reason. I can't act like I know everything about Euro basketball (and KBP will let ya know), but I'd have to imagine the lifestyle of an NBA player is more glamorous than that of a Euroleaguer, as are the cities, arenas, hotels, etc. Most players seem to view going overseas as a step back, and I'm sure there is a reason for that.

Mel_13
03-24-2010, 10:37 AM
As Bruno said, returning to Europe would be a semi-retirement, an acknowledgment that he can no longer compete at the very highest level. Given his recent play, I don't believe Manu is ready to voluntarily leave the NBA for a lesser pro league.

stéphane
03-24-2010, 10:55 AM
As Bruno said, returning to Europe would be a semi-retirement, an acknowledgment that he can no longer compete at the very highest level. Given his recent play, I don't believe Manu is ready to voluntarily leave the NBA for a lesser pro league.

You really have to take into consideration the extensive number of games you play in US pro sports. Playing 2 times the number of games upon the same period of time is not so good for your body durability. Ain't talking about personnal life with all the travels. (Manu had a daughter recently no?)

Mel_13
03-24-2010, 11:00 AM
You really have to take into consideration the extensive number of games you play in US pro sports. Playing 2 times the number of games upon the same period of time is not so good for your body durability. Ain't talking about personnal life with all the travels. (Manu had a daughter recently no?)

I have no doubt that there are advantages to life in the Euroleague when compared to the NBA. Those advantages probably account for many of the pros with NBA-level skills who never leave Europe.

That being said, I don't believe Manu is at the point in his career where he is ready to voluntarily move to a lesser pro league. He is still capable of playing at the highest level and I believe that he will stay in the NBA as long as that is true.

Btw, Manu's wife is due to deliver twins in June in San Antonio.

cheguevara
03-24-2010, 11:05 AM

Manu will have twins in a couple of months.

Manu will also:
- play for Argentina this summer
- not resign with Spurs
- Either go to an NBA contender or Euro contender

as to why would Manu choose to go to Europe. It's obvious, more $, less stress on his body and maybe he wants to raise his kids in Europe.

romain.star
03-24-2010, 11:19 AM
As a spurs fan, i want manu to retire as a spur but if he has to sign else where, i'd love to see him play for Madrid or any other European club... much easier for us, Euro fans, to watch him live !

rascal
03-24-2010, 11:21 AM
manu is not going anywhere. He will be a Spur next year. His family is settled in San antonio and I doubt they want to move especially with his wife due to have twins. He won't be moving them.

Manu's solid play of late will have the spurs opening up the bank.

The spurs will pay what they have to to retain Manu, this place will get excited but that will not necessarily be a good thing in the long run for the success of the franchise. I do not believe Manu will play up to the level he has been latetly for the duration of the contract.

Expect what we saw earlier in the year for most of Manu's new contract. Injury, age decline, wear and tear will work into his game.

Mel_13
03-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Are you going to get into another pissing war with me. I've already elaborated on my statement. Since neither of us nor anybody in this thread has renegotiated an NBA contract nor signed one I say.... have a good day. Later..

Sorry.

You've taken a position that Duncan can renegotiate his contract in a way that will favorably affect the cap situation of the Spurs for next season.

That is not possible under the CBA for the very reasons you quoted in an earlier post.

Have a good day.