PDA

View Full Version : Arenas to do jail time.

nkdlunch
03-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Which one of you mofos will doubt me ever again???????

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144361&highlight=months&page=2

Arenas is gonna do jailtime. You heard it here first.

now I'm hearing he might not go to jail. Either that or 3-6 months.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5021591

Prosecutors seek jail for Arenas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Prosecutors have recommended that Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas be sentenced to three months in jail for bringing guns into his team's locker room, The Washington Post reported Tuesday.

Arenas

In a sentencing memo to the court, Assistant U.S. Attorney Christopher R. Kavanaugh said Arenas at first gave inconsistent statements about why he had the guns in the Verizon Center locker room and did not show remorse, the newspaper reported.

Kavanaugh claimed that Arenas, who pleaded guilty to a felony charge of carrying a pistol without a license on Jan. 15, has shown "little genuine remorse for anything other than how this incident may affect his career," according to the report.

"If any other individual without fame, power and the wealth of this defendant, brought four firearms into the District for the purpose of a similar confrontation, the government would seek their incarceration and the court would almost certainly give it," Kavanaugh wrote, according to the Post.

Prosecutors also are seeking three years' probation and 300 hours of community service as part of the sentence, the newspaper reported. Arenas will be sentenced on Friday.

Arenas admitted to bringing four guns into the locker room following a heated argument with teammate Javaris Crittenton during a card game on the team plane.

Crittenton, who allegedly responded by pulling out a handgun of his own and chambering a round, pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor gun charge and was sentenced to a year of unsupervised probation.

Both players were suspended for the remainder of the NBA season.

In an interview with Esquire magazine, Arenas said he "deserved to be punished" and regretted that he had "messed up" the legacy of Wizards owner Abe Pollin, who died in November.

Pollin had changed his team's name to Wizards from Bullets in 1997 because of his concern over the connotation of the nickname with the city's high rate of crime at the time.

As part of a plea deal struck when Arenas agreed to plead guilty on Jan. 15, prosecutors said they would not seek more than six months in jail. However, Superior Court Judge Robert E. Morin is not bound by the plea agreement and could sentence Arenas to as little as probation and as much as five years in jail.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

timvp
03-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Arenas to do jail timeReading comprehension fail.

lefty
03-23-2010, 01:14 PM
If that happens, Agent Zero will become Agent Orange

nkdlunch
03-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Reading comprehension fail.

agree:

now I'm hearing he might not go to jail. Either that or 3-6 months.

JamStone
03-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Umm that's all well and good. But that article says the prosecutors are asking for jail time, not that the judge sentenced Arenas to do jail time. I'd wait until he's actually sentenced and given jail time before the "I told you so's."

Regardless, I think it would be a good thing for him to do some time, for Arenas personally. I still don't think he's really learned his lesson about how stupid he is.

redzero
03-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Reading comprehension fail.

Exactly. Nowhere in that article did was it stated that Arenas would be going to jail.

SenorSpur
03-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Umm that's all well and good. But that article says the prosecutors are asking for jail time, not that the judge sentenced Arenas to do jail time. I'd wait until he's actually sentenced and given jail time before the "I told you so's."

Regardless, I think it would be a good thing for him to do some time, for Arenas personally. I still don't think he's really learned his lesson about how stupid he is.

Agree. I also believe Arenas needs some time in the houchecow to think over his transgressions and to learn a little bit about humility and how fortunate he is to be in the occupation.

Kobe Molested Me
03-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Learn from my mistake Arenas, don't drop the soap.

Bukefal
03-23-2010, 02:08 PM
I hope they sentence jail time. Good for him and I hope he will never set foot on a nba court again.

gaKNOW!blee
03-23-2010, 02:10 PM

Did you seriously think that was funny?

lefty
03-23-2010, 02:11 PM
No

dirk4mvp
03-23-2010, 03:21 PM

:lmao

duncan228
03-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Jail or no jail? Fateful day arrives for Arenas (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-wizards-arenassentencing&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Joseph White

When Gilbert Arenas appeared at a charity event a few weeks ago, no amount of smiles and hugs could hide the underlying tension surrounding the next big date on his calendar.

“So that’s what everybody’s waiting for,” Arenas said. “March 26, huh?”

The fateful date has arrived.

The Washington Wizards three-time All-Star point guard will be sentenced Friday in D.C. Superior Court on one felony count of violating the District of Columbia’s strict gun laws. Judge Robert E. Morin will decide whether Arenas does jail time or gets probation.

The prosecution and defense teams stated their cases earlier this week in voluminous filings. It’s all far beyond anything Arenas imagined on that December morning when he says he brought four guns to the locker room to play a prank on a teammate.

Prosecutors want Arenas to go to jail for at least three months. They point out that he lied repeatedly about why the guns were in the locker room, that he tried to cover up what happened, that he displayed a cavalier attitude about the whole affair, that he knew bringing guns into D.C. was illegal, and that he has a prior gun conviction.

“If any other individual—without the fame, power, and the wealth of this defendant—brought four firearms into Washington, D.C., for the purpose of a similar confrontation, fabricated a story to conceal that confrontation, provided convenient explanations in an attempt to mitigate his conduct that were proved false, joked about the incident to large groups, and stated that he did nothing wrong and felt no remorse, the government would seek their incarceration, and the Court would almost certainly give it,” wrote Assistant U.S. Attorney Christopher Kavanaugh.

Arenas’ lawyers are asking for probation and community service, arguing that he was playing a misguided joke with no intention to harm anybody. They point out that the guns were unloaded, that Arenas’ lighthearted comments about the incident were misinterpreted, and that he’s a good role model who goes beyond the call of duty when it comes to community service. They add that he was confused about D.C.’s gun laws, and that he’s already been severely punished through humiliation and the loss of tens of millions of dollars from canceled endorsements and his suspension without pay for the rest of the NBA season.

“The whole world has watched as a man who brought four unloaded guns into the District of Columbia was required to accept a felony plea, suffer great personal and professional collateral consequences, register as a ‘gun offender,’ submit to court supervision, and face public scorn,” the lawyers wrote. “This sad saga has sent a strong message to any and all who might consider bringing guns into the District.”

The maximum term for Arenas’ crime is five years. The sentencing guidelines for someone with his record call for 6-24 months, although those guidelines also allow for probation.

A general survey of similar cases over the last two years in the city indicate that about half of the defendants convicted of Arenas’ crime receive some jail time, but the mitigating circumstances vary widely. Arenas’ prior conviction—a no contest plea to carrying a concealed weapon in California in 2003—was already a major strike against him, and the evidence revealed this week that he appeared to instigate a cover-up—as shown in a text message produced by prosecutors—has further damaged his case.

There’s now little dispute about the basic facts of the case. Arenas and teammate Javaris Crittenton got into an argument over a card game and exchanged threats while the team was flying home from a road game on Dec. 19. Two days later, Arenas brought his guns to the locker room and put them in a chair by Crittenton’s locker with a sign saying, “Pick 1.” Crittenton then retrieved his own gun and showed it to Arenas.

Crittenton pleaded guilty in January to a misdemeanor gun charge and received a year of unsupervised probation. Arenas entered his guilty plea on Jan. 15.

Arenas’ sentence could determine whether the Wizards will attempt to void the remainder of his six-year, $111 million contract, although the players’ union has vowed to fight such a move. Regardless, Arenas’ misdeed has helped contribute to the precipitous decline of a franchise that is headed for its second consecutive last-place finish after several years as playoff regular.

Gun control advocates will be monitoring Friday’s developments closely. Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said he thinks jail time is appropriate in Arenas’ case.

“Guns are not something to be played around with,” Helmke said. “I think a message needs to be sent that Arenas violated the law, it’s the second time he’s violated a gun law, and while our laws are weak in this country, everyone says let’s make sure we enforce the laws that are on the books. He violated those laws, and I think he needs to pay the penalty.”

Will Hunting
03-25-2010, 07:36 PM

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Will Hunting
03-25-2010, 07:38 PM
It's funny because they wear orange jumpsuits in jail! GET IT!!!!

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Breaking news on ESPN said no jailtime for Gil, just 30 days in a halfway house.

IronMexican
03-26-2010, 03:05 PM
That orange joke was great. Give me a couple seconds while I laugh at it.

IronMexican
03-26-2010, 03:06 PM
hahah

BlackSwordsMan
03-26-2010, 03:08 PM
jajajaja agent orange
massputo

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-26-2010, 03:08 PM
That orange joke was great. Give me a couple seconds while I laugh at it.

:lmao agent orange

mavsfan1000
03-26-2010, 03:33 PM
lucky break for sure.

nkdlunch
03-26-2010, 03:37 PM
No jail time for Arenas
From staff writer Paul Duggan at the D.C. Superior Courthouse:

Washington Wizards star guard Gilbert Arenas was spared a jail sentence Friday when a judge sentenced him to probation for bringing guns into the Verizon Center, ending a high-profile locker room confrontation with a teammate that changed the makeup up the team and Washington-area sports.

D.C. Superior Court Judge Robert B. Morin issued the sentence after a 100-minute hearing before a packed courtroom,

Morin sentenced Arenas to 18 months in jail, but suspended that part of the sentence. He ordered the star to serve two years probation to begin with 30 days in a halfway house, He also ordered Arenas to serve 400 hours of community service and pay a $5,000 contribution to a crime victim's fund.

Corrections officials will determine in the next few days what halfway house he will be assigned to. Once there, he will stay overnight, but be allowed to leave during the day to serve his community service.

anonoftheinternets
03-26-2010, 05:01 PM
hi, im new here. I was told this is the thread where the "orange agent" joke was first discovered? is this true?

Whisky Dog
03-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Knee jerk strikes again

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-26-2010, 09:06 PM
So, Arenas WON'T do jail time.

This thread FAILS.

:lmao

peteee
03-26-2010, 10:50 PM
ghostwriters just like using spoofs in order to make the situations they report look more serious than actuality, only retards get duped and clearly the OP is one typical

phxspurfan
03-26-2010, 10:51 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/16m7hgl.jpg

duncan228
03-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Arenas a lucky man to beat gun rap (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-timdahlberg-032710&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Tim Dahlberg

Gilbert Arenas is a lucky man.

Lucky he’s spending a few days in a halfway house instead of a few years in a prison. Lucky he plays in a league that guarantees contracts.

Lucky he didn’t put bullets in the guns he brought to work to show a teammate he meant business.

Lucky that everyone understands he’s just a fun-loving guy.

Plaxico Burress can only wish he was so lucky. Not only did he shoot himself, but got locked up because of it. There’s no job guarantee when he gets out, no teams lining up to give him his millions.

Super Bowl hero one day, just another number in the New York prison system the next.

Yes, Gilbert Arenas is lucky, something the former Agent Zero surely understands even if he was having a little trouble in court comprehending the idea of a halfway house. Having to sleep in less than luxurious conditions for 30 days isn’t so bad when the alternative was being sent away to prison like so many others.

Arenas was properly contrite when he stood Friday before a Washington judge to learn his fate. There was no joking around, just an apology served up to assure the judge he had learned his lesson.

“Every day, I wake up wishing it did not happen,” Arenas said.

So, presumably, does Burress. The only difference is he wakes up in a prison cell.

The cases differ, of course, but they do have a common theme. Both involve star athletes so arrogantly caught up in the gun culture that is pervasive in professional sports that they thought gun laws didn’t apply to them.

At least Burress was quick to realize his situation was serious. Shooting yourself in your leg will do that.

Arenas was still treating it all as a big joke until the time NBA commissioner David Stern assured him it was no laughing matter.

The apologists for Arenas will claim that he is paying a heavy price despite getting no prison time. He’s losing more than $7 million in salary while under suspension, and his lawyers say he also lost a sponsorship deal with Adidas that will cost him at least $10 million.

It’s all relative, though, because Arenas still has a big portion of his $111 million contract due him and it’s all guaranteed. There has been speculation the Wizards might try to void the contract because of his felony conviction, but the consensus seems to be that it would be tough to do.

Indeed, coach Flip Saunders talked as if he was expecting Arenas back for next season.

“He’ll probably start doing some stuff come summer time that he needs to from an in-shape standpoint,” Saunders said.

For that, Arenas can be thankful for good lawyers. His were so good that he escaped prison time despite having a prior gun conviction and despite lying repeatedly about bringing four guns into the team locker room and setting them near Javaris Crittenton’s locker with a sign telling him to “PICK 1.”

“If any other individual—without the fame, power, and the wealth of this defendant—brought four firearms into Washington, D.C., for the purpose of a similar confrontation, fabricated a story to conceal that confrontation, provided convenient explanations in an attempt to mitigate his conduct that were proved false, joked about the incident to large groups, and stated that he did nothing wrong and felt no remorse, the government would seek their incarceration, and the Court would almost certainly give it,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Christopher Kavanaugh wrote in asking for prison time.

Imagine any other person keeping their job, too, after bringing guns to work and offering them to a fellow employee to settle a dispute, say, over who gets the corner cubicle.

A more fitting sentence might have been a few months in jail, if only to demonstrate that guns are no joking matter. A more fitting response from Stern might have been to kick Arenas out of the league for good.

Instead, Arenas will spend a few nights at a halfway house. He’ll do a few hours of community work. Eventually he’ll get on with playing in the NBA once again.

The judge bought the argument that the good things Arenas has done with charity work mitigate the bad. He believed the defense portrayal of Arenas as being genuinely remorseful.

We can only hope it’s true. Right now the only thing we really know about Arenas is that he’s one lucky man.

And that’s no joke.

duncan228
03-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Grunfeld: Arenas will be a Wizard next season (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-wizards-arenas-grunfeld&prov=ap&type=lgns)

A day after Gilbert Arenas was sentenced to 30 days in a halfway house for bringing guns into the locker room, Wizards team president Ernie Grunfeld reaffirmed that the All-Star guard will be back with Washington next season.

Grunfeld told reporters before the team’s game against Utah on Saturday that the Wizards did not plan to void Arenas’ contract.

Grunfeld says, “I think people forget that he’s still one of the best players in this league.”

Arenas avoided jail time for the offense, instead receiving a sentence that also includes two years of probation and 400 hours of community service.

Grunfeld says he has not talked to Arenas recently, although he spoke to Arenas’ father.

Washington has lost 14 straight games.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-28-2010, 03:32 PM
This worthless piece of shit should do time in jail and should be blackballed from ever being on an nba team again

fuck him and dumbasses who try to prove their mettle by bringing guns, loaded or not, into basketball arena locker rooms

angelbelow
03-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Im beginning to think that the retarded guy on your avatar is actually you.

monosylab1k
03-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Which one of you mofos will doubt me ever again???????

Hi.

peteee
03-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Hi.
sup fuckhead.

Galileo
03-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Arenas is an innocent man who had no victim and no criminal intent. We live in a police state.

duncan228
03-29-2010, 01:26 AM
The tricks of Gilbert Arenas (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/14576/the-tricks-of-gilbert-arenas)
By Henry Abbott
TrueHoop

Several people saw Gilbert Arenas with guns in the Wizards' locker room last December.

In the days and hours to follow, hard questions were asked. It would have been a great time for Arenas to "come clean" about his dispute with teammate Javaris Crittenton. Lawyers insist that doing so would been a good way to reduce his sentence.

A text message from Arenas, intended for Crittenton, apparently explaining a cover story.

According to prosecutors armed with strong research -- including testimony from many eye witnesses -- Arenas chose a far trickier tactic:

* He told team officials that he brought the guns to the arena to get them away from his family, even on the same day he told a teammate to take a case holding the guns and put it in his car, which he would presumably drive home ... to his family.

* That same day he told team officials a second version of events: That he brought the guns to the arena to sell them to a teammate.

* Arenas told officials that he thought guns were allowed in the locker room -- even though a month before he had been part of a mandatory team meeting which made clear to everybody else in the room that they most certainly were not.

* In a decisive indictment of Arenas' regard for the judicial proces and the truth, Arenas sent Javaris Crittenton specific instructions about the story he should tell officials (in fairness to Arenas, this story exonerated Crittenton).

* Arenas changed his story several times about when he brought the guns to the locker room, saying first that he brought them all to the arena weeks before, and then later releasing a statement saying in which he brought at least one on the day of the confrontation -- a version that hurts his case that the incident was meaningless.

* After denying publicly that there had been a confrontation of any kind, Arenas signed a guilty plea in which he admits there was one.

* Arenas released public statements expressing remorse, which he has contradicted by telling reporters that he didn't do anything wrong, and that "if I really did something wrong, it would bother me."

What's particularly troubling about all that story-changing is how it points so strongly to a worldview where the criminal justice system is some childish game -- The truth be damned, just make up something to keep yourself out of trouble. It's almost like he's trying to cheat at some video game, which is also something he has confessed to (http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2007/10/is_gilbert_cheating_at_halo.html#more).

Doesn't all that just seem incredibly naive? You can't beat the law like that, can you? He should be embarrassed to have even tried.

But before we get to lecturing Arenas too harshly on not respecting the legal system, or the rule of law, let's consider the biggest, strongest and likely most effective of his varied attempts to avoid harsh punishment. Like rich people in jams everywhere, he hired a very powerful attorney (http://www.omm.com/kennethwainstein/).

Kenneth Wainstein is not just a good lawyer. He has his fingers on many of the buttons that matter in Washington D.C.'s legal system. Most importantly for this case, he recently oversaw the office prosecuting Arenas in this very matter. From 2004-2006, Wainstein was U.S. attorney in the same district. He has also directed the executive office of U.S. attorneys, worked for the F.B.I., founded an important new national security division at the Justice Department. He even advised President George W. Bush on homeland security.

In arguing for jail time for Arenas, assistant U.S. attorney Chris Kavanaugh (who joined the office in 2007, after Wainstein had moved on) wrote that a sentence without jail time would send a bad message, built on the idea that "With enough money, fame, and the right representation, you can avoid paying the price that others in this city would certainly pay in these circumstances."

Kavanaugh was worried that the right attorney might get someone special treatment from the legal system. Now that Arenas has received just about the lightest sentence anyone imagined for him -- 30 days in a halfway house, two years' probation, 400 hours community service and a $5,000 fine -- it's hard not to think that the situation Kavanaugh proposed has come to pass.

Hiring an attorney like Wainstein was certainly not overtly devious, like some of the other things Arenas has done. But it was certainly clever. Who could argue that a special kind of lawyer was essential to keeping him out of jail?

Despite ample evidence Arenas made many crucial errors in the aftermath of the gun incident, in the final analysis, it's hard to imagine he could have gotten a better result. That's a pretty good trick.

Scola
03-29-2010, 01:43 AM
All he got was a slap on the wrist, can't believe he didn't get jail-time. I was personally hoping he got kicked out of the league, his contract voided, and some jail time.

Steve Kerr
09-09-2010, 05:31 PM
This should be a classic thread because of Lefty's "Agent Orange" joke

great fuckin one liner :cry

HarlemHeat37
09-09-2010, 05:32 PM
:lol somebody needs to make a thread with all of my man Lefty's best one liners..great thread idea IMO..

lefty
09-09-2010, 10:34 PM
This should be a classic thread because of Lefty's "Agent Orange" joke

great fuckin one liner :cry
I agree :tu

TDMVPDPOY
09-10-2010, 02:39 AM
um whats the chances of him smuggling in a gun up his ass to protect himself inside

Xevious
09-10-2010, 08:52 AM
um whats the chances of him smuggling in a gun up his ass to protect himself inside
Protect himself from what? The jailtime he didn't get sentenced back in March?