PDA

View Full Version : Duncan's near-departure from Spurs worth reviewing

duncan228
03-23-2010, 02:47 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/2010/news/features/shaun_powell/03/23/duncan.stayput/0323duncan608.jpg
Though he flirted with Orlando in 2000, Tim Duncan has been plenty happy in San Antonio.

Duncan's near-departure from Spurs worth reviewing (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/shaun_powell/03/23/duncan.stayput/)
Shaun Powell
NBA.com

The most anxious moment in the professional life of Spurs coach Gregg Popovich didn't happen in a fourth-quarter timeout, or when Derek Fisher launched that prayer at the buzzer in Game 5 of the 2004 playoffs. Nothing like that.

Instead, the phone rang one day in the summer of 2000. On the line was his All-Star forward, a young Tim Duncan, just back from getting coddled and champagned by the Orlando Magic as a free agent. He had reached a decision on his future. He had to talk.

It was the Moment of Truth, or the Turning Point of the Franchise, or whatever reach-for-the-antacid title you want to attach to it. Duncan got straight to the point, which felt like a dagger in Pop's gut.

"Well coach, you know, there's no beach in San Antonio," Duncan began, trying to break the news gently.

You know when a woman gets a breakup call from George Clooney? This felt like one. Until Popovich realized he was being punked.

"There's no beach in Orlando, either," Popovich growled. "There's a cultural desert there. What do you want to go there for?"

Duncan laughed and gave the coach the good news: He was re-signing with San Antonio. The other day, Popovich smiled at the memory of getting pump-faked by his center, and said: "He got me. He got me good."

Ten years later, there are coaches and general managers in Cleveland, Miami, Toronto, Atlanta and other places who would love for their star to pull a stunt like that this summer. With LeBron James and a handful of A-list free agents ready to get their rings kissed on the open market, it's worth taking a reflective look at the franchise player who almost got away.

"I came close to leaving," said Duncan.

How close?

"Real close."

In retrospect, to an outsider, Duncan had better reasons to sign with Orlando than stay with the Spurs. The Magic had cleared enough cap space to sign two free agents that summer and they put a full-court press on Duncan and Grant Hill (who was hyped as the next Michael Jordan at the time). Those players happened to share the same agent, too. And while Duncan won a 1999 championship in San Antonio, the Spurs were slipping. David Robinson and Sean Elliott were on their last legs and it was years before Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili would arrive. Meanwhile, the Lakers with Shaq and Kobe were revving up, threatening to dominate the West and make life miserable for Duncan for years.

Nobody could blame Duncan for leaving and starting fresh with a compatible co-star.

"It was a nerve-wrecking time," Popovich admitted. "It was hell. You get close to a player and you don't want to see him leave. I never let myself believe he was going to stay. I was just getting myself prepared, for sanity reasons. It's no fun.

"It also seems like it takes forever to resolve. That's the worst part of it. We made our pitch to him and let him be, let him make up his own mind."

The Magic came hard. They flew Duncan in on a private jet. They super-imposed Hill and Duncan into Magic uniforms and slapped them on billboards around the city with the title "Imagine." The Epcot ball at Disney World was scribbled with "Grant Us Tim" in lights. And this: Then-Orlando resident Tiger Woods helped with the house-hunting. Just think, Duncan could've lived right down the street, near the fire hydrant and tree made famous last Thanksgiving.

Hill was sold and pledged on the spot. Duncan flew home and gave it some thought.

His take-it-slow approach wasn't so surprising, given his laid-back personality. The money was roughly equal, so Duncan had to follow his gut. He liked the small-town charm of San Antonio, and respected Popovich. The Spurs also had one more trick in the bag; Robinson cut short a Hawaiian vacation to make a personal plea.

"There were several reasons for staying," Duncan said. "It really came down to being comfortable."

Therefore, he figured: Why leave happiness? It's precisely why folks in Cleveland should feel rather secure about LeBron, and Miami about Dwyane Wade (but maybe not Toronto about Chris Bosh). The home team always holds the edge, because moving can be a pain.

The Spurs should know. A few years after the Duncan decision, the tables turned. This time it was the Spurs who chased Jason Kidd, fresh off leading the Nets to back-to-back trips to the NBA Finals.

Kidd was flown in and heard a big recruiting pitch from Duncan, then returned to New Jersey and decided to stay, mainly because his wife wanted to pursue a local TV career. A few years after that, Kidd got divorced. As they say, timing is everything.

It wasn't a total setback for San Antonio, because without Kidd around, Parker developed into an All-Star and was a Finals MVP, helping San Antonio to two more championships.

Therefore, in a decade in which they collected three championships, the Spurs benefitted by both winning and losing in free agency.

That's just something to think about this summer.

"I think this whole free agent thing is much ado about nothing," said Popovich. "Most guys are going to stay. It usually ends up that way."

TDomination
03-23-2010, 02:57 PM
My goodness, how different things would be if he were to go to orlando.

boutons_deux
03-23-2010, 03:10 PM
The 250 Million Dollar Man.

phxspurfan
03-23-2010, 03:46 PM
They super-imposed Hill and Duncan into Magic uniforms and slapped them on billboards around the city with the title "Imagine."

duncan228, do you have a pic of this billboard? I'd love to see it.

phxspurfan
03-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Oh and lol Grant Hill.

And I wonder how many championships we would have if we had signed JKidd and traded Parker? :donkey

duncan228
03-23-2010, 04:01 PM
duncan228, do you have a pic of this billboard? I'd love to see it.

I do, but it's not where I thought it was. :lol I'll post it as soon as I find it.

TIMMYD!
03-23-2010, 04:04 PM
This really got me thinking.

polandprzem
03-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Well Grant Hill condition that time was not that clear

TheSullyMonster
03-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Timmy next to a healthy Grant Hill would have been interesting.

So would the finals commercials between Tim/Hill and Shaq/Kobe.

It would also have been interesting if we had Jason Kidd instead of Parker, too.

TDMVPDPOY
03-23-2010, 04:58 PM
in 03 had timmy bolted

i dont think we would have attracted anyone since most FA that season stayed with their teams, we couldve gotten tmac....

ffadicted
03-23-2010, 05:14 PM
I wanna see that billboard!! lol

DesignatedT
03-23-2010, 05:36 PM
i still get nervous reading this article. :lol

DesignatedT
03-23-2010, 05:36 PM
in 03 had timmy bolted

i dont think we would have attracted anyone since most FA that season stayed with their teams, we couldve gotten tmac....

if at any time he bolted. we would have been fucked

Brazil
03-23-2010, 05:43 PM
good for us he stayed

Ginobili2Duncan
03-23-2010, 05:50 PM
If Kidd signed with the Spurs they no doubt would've traded Parker for a big man to compliment Duncan. Then, they still would've had the mid-level.

With Kidd the Spurs probably win the title in 2004 and 2005. But I doubt the Spurs beat the Suns in 2007 or 2008.

TDMVPDPOY
03-23-2010, 05:59 PM
03 fck us up hard core

didnt resign jax
givin away barbosa
wattabout the other guy we missed out on josh howard

DesignatedT
03-23-2010, 06:01 PM
If Kidd signed with the Spurs they no doubt would've traded Parker for a big man to compliment Duncan. Then, they still would've had the mid-level.

With Kidd the Spurs probably win the title in 2004 and 2005. But I doubt the Spurs beat the Suns in 2007 or 2008.

too hard to say but the way tony has played these last 3 or 4 years for us we couldnt really ask for more.

DesignatedT
03-23-2010, 06:04 PM
03 fck us up hard core

didnt resign jax
givin away barbosa
wattabout the other guy we missed out on josh howard

jax ended up walking for less money that season. we offered.
im pretty sure barbosa wasnt our guy, phoenix told us who to draft for them
but yeah, we did end up passing on both barbosa and howard. which could habve helped.

TDMVPDPOY
03-23-2010, 06:05 PM
if at any time he bolted. we would have been fucked

im sure that wont be a nba team in san antonio had td bolted...

then again if tmac played the way he did in his prime here in san antonio, wouldve been nice to see this talented player torching players in meaningless games...

Ginobili2Duncan
03-23-2010, 06:11 PM
too hard to say but the way tony has played these last 3 or 4 years for us we couldnt really ask for more.

Yeah I'm thrilled that Parker stayed with us and developed into an all star. The Spurs certainly would not be where they are without him. But it is fun to speculate what might have happened.

Spurs Brazil
03-23-2010, 06:34 PM
I remember when I read the news he would stay on a Monday morning ( I think he made it official on Sunday but I only saw Monday)

That day ranks right there with the championships

phxspurfan
03-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Didn't we have Stay Tim Stay billboards? I think I just moved to SA right during the FA summer.

Sisk
03-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Very interesting read.. I can't believe that billboard ploy, that's hilarious

duncan228
03-23-2010, 07:20 PM
A couple of stories from Duncan's Orlando trip:

At the welcoming ceremony they served cold cuts, then sent out for a Whopper for Duncan at the last minute when Orlando's people discovered Duncan didn't like cold cuts. (There were rumors that it was sabotage, that someone associated with the Spurs had said Duncan loved cold cuts. :lol)

There was also talk that one of the things Duncan didn't like was Orlando's policy on family traveling with the team. The Spurs let wives travel, the Magic didn't.

raspsa
03-23-2010, 07:20 PM
Didn't Amy play a big part in that decision. Did the Magic invite only Tim to visit and leave Amy behind in SA?

duncan228
03-23-2010, 07:23 PM
Didn't Amy play a big part in that decision. Did the Magic invite only Tim to visit and leave Amy behind in SA?

Amy went with him. But the Magic didn't seem to have the 'family' feeling that the Spurs did. That was important to Duncan.

duncan228
03-23-2010, 07:36 PM
Didn't we have Stay Tim Stay billboards?

Yes.

Ditty
03-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Didn't we have Stay Tim Stay billboards? I think I just moved to SA right during the FA summer.

yah i remember heb gave away signs of it i still have the signs and everywhere you would go you would see that sign on peoples cars i was only 10 at that time

ffadicted
03-23-2010, 08:54 PM
http://slumz.boxden.com/f16/orlando-magic-look-impress-grant-hill-tim-duncan-old-1178628/

Haha, many stories of Orlando's attempts to woo tim and hill. Great stuff, that's insane, talk about desperation

Manu-of-steel
03-23-2010, 09:04 PM
A couple of stories from Duncan's Orlando trip:

At the welcoming ceremony they served cold cuts, then sent out for a Whopper for Duncan at the last minute when Orlando's people discovered Duncan didn't like cold cuts. (There were rumors that it was sabotage, that someone associated with the Spurs had said Duncan loved cold cuts. :lol)

There was also talk that one of the things Duncan didn't like was Orlando's policy on family traveling with the team. The Spurs let wives travel, the Magic didn't.

CIA pop?

senorglory
03-23-2010, 11:23 PM
Haven't found pics of either referenced billboard, but here is a cool Spurs related billboard I found (which I'll assume isn't fake):

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z147/td4evar/2632078785_c5f9b57e05.jpg

phxspurfan
03-25-2010, 03:33 PM
Haven't found pics of either referenced billboard, but here is a cool Spurs related billboard I found (which I'll assume isn't fake):

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z147/td4evar/2632078785_c5f9b57e05.jpg

Aww man, Bruce...

Xevious
03-25-2010, 04:15 PM
That billboard is only a year old or so. I remember seeing it over in the Bandera/1604 area.

crc21209
03-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Oh man I remember this....it was probably the most nerve-wrecking time EVER to be a Spurs fan. Our franchise was literally hanging in the balance because of TD...boy am I glad 5-0 cut his vacation short to have a visit with him....