PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Lakers Previews

duncan228
03-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Lakers' meeting with San Antonio presents a few areas of concern (http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2010/03/lakers-fivegame-trip-presents-different-challenges.html)
Mark Medina
Round-the-Clock Purple and Gold
LA Times Lakers Blog

Regardless of whether Lakers Coach Phil Jackson views the team's upcoming five-game trip to be less consequential than he initially thought, he made it clear he'd only be satisfied with an undefeated mark.

"4-1 is acceptable," Jackson said following the Lakers' 99-92 victory Sunday over the Washington Wizards (http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2010/03/lakers-inconsistent-effort-in-9992-victory-over-washington-a-common-storyline-this-season.html). "But that's not what champions look for going out on the road."

The Lakers have a mixed track record on that front. Though the Lakers (52-18) have won six consecutive games, including three on the road, the team isn't satisfied with its overall play or its overall road record (20-13). The reason Jackson offers a differing view involves the simple fact that the Lakers have a five-game lead over Denver (47-23) and a 5-1/2-game lead over Dallas (46-24) for first place in the West, an advantage that widened after the Nuggets' loss Saturday to Milwaukee and the Mavericks' losses Saturday and Monday to Boston and New Orleans.

Jackson expressed concerns the decreased magnitude of the trip may result in the team playing again with less urgency.

Team: San Antonio Spurs (41-27)

When: Wednesday, 6:30 p.m. PDT

Record vs. Spurs this season: 1-1

Matchup history:

In their 101-89 victory Feb. 9 over San Antonio, the Lakers overcame the absences of Kobe Bryant (sprained left ankle) and Andrew Bynum (bruised right hip) by featuring team balance. That included Pau Gasol directing the offense with 21 points, 19 rebounds, a season-high eight assists and five blocked shots. There were Lakers forwards Ron Artest and Lamar Odom combining for 34 points because of constant drives to the basket. Derek Fisher (13 points) provided stability as a starter, while Jordan Farmar (13 points) brought energy off the bench.

The Lakers weren't able to easily absorb injuries in the team's 100-85 loss Jan. 12 to San Antonio. In addition to missing Gasol for the fifth consecutive game because of a left hamstring injury, Bryant's back spasms made him miss the entire fourth quarter. The Lakers committed 14 turnovers, allowed the Spurs to shoot 57.3% and yielded at least 100 points for the ninth time in 12 games.

The challenges this game presents:

The Lakers will play shorthanded again, with center Bynum planning to sit out the entire trip because of a strained left Achilles' tendon. Though Odom will start, he has been nursing a left shoulder injury for the last 15 games, though it wasn't publicly known until after the Lakers' 104-96 win Friday over the Minnesota Timberwolves. Though Odom grabbed 13 rebounds Sunday against Washington, he remained ineffective offensively with a 1-of-4 clip. Though the Lakers filled Bynum's absence on the offensive end, the points were generated in spurts. Gasol's team-leading 28 points came mostly in the first and third quarter. Bryant's 20 of 24 points came in the second quarter and he only shot one field goal in the second half. And Artest scored 11 of his 16 points in the third quarter alone.

With Jackson still worried about the team's urgency, he attached significance to the Lakers' first game out of the trip. The reason involves more than just coach-speak. He feared a loss to open a trip could have a trickling effect, similar to what happened March 4 in a 114-111 loss to Miami. The Lakers followed that up with two road losses to Charlotte and Orlando, marking the first time since February 2008 the team lost three consecutive games.

Meanwhile, San Antonio appears to have taken positive vibes from its 99-96 victory Monday against Oklahoma City. Not only did the Spurs move into sixth place in the West, Coach Gregg Popovich called the game "one of the finest wins our staff has been associated with since we've been here." Since the All-Star break, Manu Ginobili has scored in double figures 15 times in 17 games, but Jackson is more impressed with San Antonio's bench. That unit tops the league in multiple categories, including the reserves averages in points (40.5), rebounds (17.5) and assists (9.1). Meanwhile, the Lakers' bench has provided little consistency, most recently in their one-point performance in the first half against Sacramento and the unit nearly blowing a 28-point lead in the second half Sunday against Washington.

OldSilentHill
03-23-2010, 03:19 PM
For me, the key would be Gasol´s performance again.

And POP --------> Start Manu for god sake.

dbestpro
03-23-2010, 05:54 PM
The only advantage of not facing the Lakers in the first round is that you might advance in the playoffs and collect more revenue. I believe there is a better chance of taking out the Lakers in the first round than in the western conference finals.

No bragging rights for the Lakers to beat an 8th seed, but take the Lakers out before they get their playoff game face on would be the bomb. Then Dallas could have some company as the only 1st seed to lose to an 8th seed.

DesignatedT
03-23-2010, 05:58 PM
The only advantage of not facing the Lakers in the first round is that you might advance in the playoffs and collect more revenue. I believe there is a better chance of taking out the Lakers in the first round than in the western conference finals.

No bragging rights for the Lakers to beat an 8th seed, but take the Lakers out before they get their playoff game face on would be the bomb. Then Dallas could have some company as the only 1st seed to lose to an 8th seed.

but then we lose the chance of someone else taking them out, which at this moment doesnt seem too far fetched.

DesignatedT
03-23-2010, 05:59 PM
For me, the key would be Gasol´s performance again.

And POP --------> Start Manu for god sake.

why wouldn't he start manu? hes been starting him since tony has been out...

TDMVPDPOY
03-23-2010, 06:04 PM
hopin ghill shuts down kobe and go for +20pts performance again...ghill has been on a good run lately

OldSilentHill
03-23-2010, 06:16 PM
why wouldn't he start manu? hes been starting him since tony has been out...

I know Pop is not an insane person anymore (it seems), but remember that he still can do things just because it´s wensday. Or Friday or Tuesday or just because he is still Pop. :lol

Spursox
03-23-2010, 06:57 PM
I think we match up pretty good with the Lakers. Im confident with our front court matchup Hill/Manu vs Fisher/Bryant....

dbestpro
03-23-2010, 07:08 PM
I think we match up pretty good with the Lakers. Im confident with our front court matchup Hill/Manu vs Fisher/Bryant....

You mean back court.

honestfool84
03-23-2010, 07:15 PM

You mean back court.

:lol

duncan228
03-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Los Angeles (52-18) at San Antonio (42-27) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2010032424&prov=ap)
Game info: 9:30 pm EDT Wed Mar 24, 2010
TV: ESPN, KENS
By Nicolino Dibenedetto

A late-season five-game road trip against some stiff competition should be all the Los Angeles Lakers need to stay focused on the remainder of the regular season before setting out to defend their NBA title.

The Western Conference leaders look to extend their winning streak to seven games Wednesday night when they face the San Antonio Spurs in a possible preview of an opening-round playoff series.

Los Angeles (52-18) is outscoring opponents by an average of just 5.5 points during its winning streak, clinching a playoff berth for the 15th time in 16 seasons along the way. Included in the run were a two-point win over Toronto, a three-point triumph over Golden State and an eight-point win over lowly Minnesota.

Lakers guard Derek Fisher simply said a win is a win.

“At the end of the day it’s just about winning games,” he said. “It’s that simple. We figured out a way to do it and win a championship (last season), and it gets harder. We just need to stay focused on winning, no matter how it looks. Just win.”

It didn’t look pretty Sunday, as the Lakers got by last-place Washington 99-92. Los Angeles scored 35 second-quarter points en route to a 59-33 halftime lead, but was outscored by 19 in the second half.

“It’s getting to the end of the season and they’re looking forward to getting into the postseason, but the job’s not done yet,” coach Phil Jackson said. “I don’t think we’ve given up hope of having a record befitting of what we thought or anticipated before the season started. To do that, we have to win on this road trip.”

Los Angeles has won three in a row on the road after dropping a season high-tying four straight. After visiting San Antonio (42-27), the Lakers will face Oklahoma City on Friday followed by Houston, New Orleans and Atlanta before returning home April 2 against Utah.

Los Angeles has split two meetings with the Spurs, but fell 105-85 on Jan. 12 at San Antonio to lose for the fourth time in five visits.

“We’re relatively familiar with San Antonio,” Jackson said. “They played us in the playoffs a year ago. We have a rivalry that goes back a long ways. We have some sense of who they are and how they play.”

Kobe Bryant needs two points to move past Alex English into 12th on the NBA’s all-time scoring list. Bryant scored 20 of his 24 points in the second quarter Sunday, and his 27.6 points per game rank fourth in the league.

Bryant tallied 16 at San Antonio in January, but an ankle injury forced him to miss the most recent matchup. Pau Gasol had 21 points and 19 rebounds in the 101-89 home win on Feb. 8. The forward-center is averaging 24.8 points and 11.8 rebounds over his last four games.

The Spurs, sixth in the West and with a five-game cushion over ninth-place Memphis, will be hosting the top two teams in the league this week. After the Lakers visit, NBA-best Cleveland will take the court Friday.

“Every game right now is important and big,” said guard George Hill, who is averaging 14.9 points and 4.8 assists in nine games while filling in for the injured Tony Parker (broken finger).

Hill scored a career-high 27 points in Monday’s 99-96 win at Oklahoma City.

The Spurs’ Tim Duncan had 14 points and seven rebounds against the Thunder after scoring 29 points with 13 boards in a 119-114 overtime loss at Atlanta one night earlier. Duncan is averaging 22.3 points and 12.8 rebounds in the last four home meetings with the Lakers.

Team Stat Leaders

Tim Duncan SA 18.4

Rebounds
Pau Gasol LAL 11.1
Tim Duncan SA 10.3

Assists
Kobe Bryant LAL 5.0
Tony Parker SA 5.7

Ditty
03-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Beat L.A !!!!!!!!!!

Manu-of-steel
03-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Obviously, this would be a good game to gauge our plays against one of the top teams in the league.. I don't expect ghill to again shut down kobe, but i expect him to play to continue playing well. I'm curoius whether bogans would be tasked to guard kobe. Malik? He's physical, hope he'll be given a chance to guard artest. But Pop most likely will not play him that much.

SpursFanInAustin
03-23-2010, 11:00 PM
It's going to be interesting to see the matchups on defense in this game. I expect Hill to defend Kobe, and Jefferson to matchup with Artest with Manu defending Fisher. Maybe Duncan guards Odom and McDyess defends Gasol, and it will be more interesting to see how the Lakers defend SA. In the past when the Spurs relied on Bruce Bowen to defend Kobe and make him work for his points, Kobe also usually defended Bruce Bowen, and Kobe cheated off of Bowen and played the passing lanes and gambled on defense, and usually got to rest as Bowen would just stand in the corner for his 3-pt shots. Sometimes Bowen burned him from there (see Game 2 of the 03 WCSFs) and other times he did not (2004/2008 series). This time Kobe will have use up energy defending someone who can create their own shot off the dribble in Hill, Manu or RJ, and hopefully that can either tire him out for offense, or at least someone can offset his point production (example: one of the three Spurs mentioned going for 20 to offset Kobe's 30)? I think the Lakers will use Artest to slow down Manu and Fisher to pressure Hill, and Kobe on RJ? Be interesting to see how the Spurs attack from the perimeter. Oh, and whichever big for the Lakers defend Duncan, please be aggressive and attack, Timmy!

duncan228
03-23-2010, 11:27 PM
This is just the Spurs part, hit the link for rest of the piece.

Lakers are packing up their baggage (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-road-20100324,0,7300776.story?page=1)
They take a mostly lifeless six-game winning streak into a five-game trip that will determine ... what, exactly?
By Mike Bresnahan
LA Times

The Lakers could stand to clean up a scruffy road appearance since going 0-3 in their last series of games in a different time zone (Miami, Charlotte and Orlando). They will also try to reach a recently installed goal of 60 victories.

"To do that, we have to win on this road trip," Lakers Coach Phil Jackson said.

The Spurs are actually surviving without Tony Parker, who has a broken right index finger and might not return until the playoffs.

Not that the Lakers have noticed.

"Parker's out? What happened to him?" Artest said, again with a surprised look. "He's a good point guard."

The whole season has been a test of survival for the aging Spurs, who probably won't have home-court advantage in the first round and aren't getting much sympathy from the Lakers.

"Nothing," Bryant said. "Not a … thing."

Odom injury update

Odom has a lesion on the labrum in his left shoulder, a permanent leftover from two surgeries on the shoulder to repair the labrum. He had surgery in 2005 and again in 2007, and has occasional flare-ups in the shoulder.

"I'm going to play if it's fallen off, torn, whatever it might be," Odom said.

TD 21
03-24-2010, 01:13 AM
I want to see the Spurs be physical with Odom's shoulder. Not overtly, but in terms of battling for position under the glass, by accident on purpose grab or hit or sneak an elbow in there and hit him. If he dare drives (which he always does against the Spurs PF's because they don't have a single one that can stop him from taking them off the dribble at will), I want the help defender to knock him to the ground, give him a hard foul or two. Preferably, I want him taken out of this game and hopefully injured for an amount of time.

So long as they're not still completely worn out from their recent grueling back to back, I like the Spurs in this one. Based on: more urgency, the fact that Bynum's out means size-wise they can not match-up with the Lakers front line, the lack of a credible player on the Lakers bench with Odom now starting (who's ailing), the fact that Ginobili, save for Wade, is back to being the only SG even close to Bryant's level, the fact that Duncan won't have to deal with the bulk of Bynum, with Bynum out Powell will be forced into action which gives Blair a natural (and advantageous) match-up and I get the sense that McDyess and Mason are due for a stretch where they play well for a few games.

Man In Black
03-24-2010, 01:19 AM
I want to see the Spurs be physical with Odom's shoulder. Not overtly, but in terms of battling for position under the glass, by accident on purpose grab or hit or sneak an elbow in there and hit him.
Cue...Matt Bonner! He won't try to, it'll be just like Mark Madsen, in a battle for rebounds, zaniness ensues.

timtonymanu
03-24-2010, 03:41 AM
The Spurs role players better play with balls tomorrow. I'm talking to you Hill RJ Dice Mason Bonner and Bogans.

spursbird
03-24-2010, 06:35 AM
Ftl

silverblackfan
03-24-2010, 06:48 AM
I like how the Spurs are humming right now. Even the losses are close affairs. I would give our team more of a chance to win if it wasn't on ESPN. That damn channel is a curse when we play the Lakers. Hell, broadcast television is a curse when the Spurs play...
Go Spurs!

21_Blessings
03-24-2010, 07:37 AM

:lmao Look at this wishful thinking.

Trust me, there will be plenty of bragging going on after the Lakers cut Tim Duncan's head off once and for all.

LakeShow
03-24-2010, 07:38 AM
[QUOTE=duncan228;4178680]This is just the Spurs part, hit the link for rest of the piece.

Lakers are packing up their baggage (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-road-20100324,0,7300776.story?page=1)
They take a mostly lifeless six-game winning streak into a five-game trip that will determine ... what, exactly?

I agree with this. This is another one of those meaningless games. The game means a lot to the spurs and nothing to the Lakers.

I will be going to LA to watch this game with friends. I just hope for a competitive game or a Lakers rout. Either or would make for a good time.

Btw, FTS

shelshor
03-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Referee Assignments
Wed. Mar 24
L.A. Lakers @ San Antonio: Joe DeRosa; David Jones; Olandis Poole

kuato
03-24-2010, 08:52 AM
Danger !! helthy Manu ahead!!

Dex
03-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Spurs need every win they can get. Getting it against the Lakers would just be a huge bonus. Hopefully they can carry forward some of that momentum they've had at home.

God, I hate the frickin' Lakers...

TheSullyMonster
03-24-2010, 01:41 PM

Knicks were an 8 seed in 1999, and made it to the finals.:rolleyes

I'm fairly certain it happened at least once before that, but I wasn't watching basketball then.

duncan228
03-24-2010, 03:04 PM
Just the Spurs/Lakers part, hit the link for the rest.

Around the World (Wide Web): Lakers Begin Trip In San Antonio (http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2010/03/24/around-the-world-wide-web-lakers-begin-trip-in-san-antonio/)
Forum Blue & Gold

This morning, we turn our focus to the Spurs, who have been playing well as of late. They’re only 3-2 in their last five, but watching their last few games seems like they’re on a five game winning streak. I know they did not play well in Orlando, and lost to Atlanta, but Manu Ginobili has been playing like the old Manu and George Hill has been playing very well in place of the injured Tony Parker. Even though the Spurs have stuggled for much of this season against playoff caliber teams, tonight’s game against Tim Duncan and Co. will be no walk through the park as they have not lost in San Antonio since January 31st.

An early preview from Basket Blog (http://my.lakers.com/blogs/2010/03/23/lakers-spurs-preview/): As has become typical of Gregg Popovich Spurs teams, the Silver and Black are picking up their play as the playoffs approach, even with starting point guard Tony Parker going on the shelf on March 6 with a hand injury, due to return in mid April. In fact, the Spurs have gone 9-3 in March* after a 6-5 February, their only three losses coming at Cleveland by two points, at Orlando and at Atlanta in overtime.?*This comes as no surprise, since the Spurs are the NBA’s best March team since Tim Duncan was drafted in 1997, going 152-54 for a .738 winning percentage (L.A. is second at 134-69, .660).??In related news, Manu Ginobili has been playing like … a healthy Manu Ginobili, averaging 21.2 points and 5.7 assists while shooting 53 percent from the field and 45 percent from 3-point range in March. Throw in solid bench production, Tim Duncan’s consistency and an improving Richard Jefferson and the Spurs are dangerous. “(Ginobili’s improved play) helps a lot and I think their bench has been very successful,” said Jackson said after the team photo on Tuesday (http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/100322practicereport.html). “They had a game the other night against Golden State where (Tim) Duncan played 13 minutes and it was one of the highest scoring games they’ve ever had. It just says something about their bench coming to life and their players all supporting one another.”

Post-practice interviews on the Lakers issues and tonight’s game from Land O’ Lakers (http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/4714/kobe-doesnt-worry-for-tim-duncan-or-about-ron-artest-practice-video): Wednesday will feature the Lakers mano y’ mano with the Spurs, a showdown these squads have grown extraordinarily familiar with over the last 10-plus years. As Kobe Bryant noted, “We could run their plays and they could could run ours.” These battles have largely ended in the Larry O’Brien swapped back and forth between Kobe and Tim Duncan. The two haven’t just collected rings during the 2000’s, they’ve arguably been the two best players of the recent decade. I know I’d tab them as such. Still, The Big Fundamental, as his nickname implies, has never been the flashiest or most demonstrative of players, generally content to go about his business and film the occasional Adidas commercial. Even as a 12-time All-Star, Duncan’s low key persona has sometimes meant flying under the radar compared against other superstars. But Kobe’s not losing too much sleep a lunch pail persona has resulted in Timmy being somehow under-appreciated: “They already call him the greatest power forward of all time,” smiled Bryant. “How much more do you want? For that matter, Kobe’s playing no sad violins over the Spurs’ downward slide in the standings this season, despite having gone unhappily through a similar situation in 2006 and 2007. Asked what he felt for the Spurs’ plight, Kobe’s answer was fairly succinct: “Nothing.”

tothrowed
03-24-2010, 03:06 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=168&pictureid=1255

silverblk mystix
03-24-2010, 04:44 PM
well, I for one, am not shocked that Odumb has a lesion on his labia......

i mean, why do they even mention personal stuff anyway?

TD 21
03-24-2010, 06:50 PM
It's going to be interesting to see the matchups on defense in this game. I expect Hill to defend Kobe, and Jefferson to matchup with Artest with Manu defending Fisher. Maybe Duncan guards Odom and McDyess defends Gasol, and it will be more interesting to see how the Lakers defend SA. In the past when the Spurs relied on Bruce Bowen to defend Kobe and make him work for his points, Kobe also usually defended Bruce Bowen, and Kobe cheated off of Bowen and played the passing lanes and gambled on defense, and usually got to rest as Bowen would just stand in the corner for his 3-pt shots. Sometimes Bowen burned him from there (see Game 2 of the 03 WCSFs) and other times he did not (2004/2008 series). This time Kobe will have use up energy defending someone who can create their own shot off the dribble in Hill, Manu or RJ, and hopefully that can either tire him out for offense, or at least someone can offset his point production (example: one of the three Spurs mentioned going for 20 to offset Kobe's 30)? I think the Lakers will use Artest to slow down Manu and Fisher to pressure Hill, and Kobe on RJ? Be interesting to see how the Spurs attack from the perimeter. Oh, and whichever big for the Lakers defend Duncan, please be aggressive and attack, Timmy!

No chance Duncan guards Odom unless (to my surprise, the Lakers actually went with this match-up for stretches in the last meeting) Odom plays center and defends Duncan. Short of that, it'll be Duncan, McDyess, probably Blair and possibly Bonner on Gasol, McDyess, Bonner, possibly Blair, probably Jefferson, potentially even Bogans, on Odom.