PDA

View Full Version : Dave Matthews Band

Shelly
08-25-2004, 08:03 PM
Nas-tay (http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,14795,00.html?tnews)

Dave Matthews Band's Big Stink
by Josh Grossberg
Aug 25, 2004, 10:30 AM PT
back to story

This probably wasn't what Dave had in mind when he wrote "Don't Drink the Water."

The state of Illinois has filed a lawsuit against the Dave Matthews Band for allegedly dumping up to 800 pounds of liquid human waste from its tour bus into the Chicago River earlier this month.

The suit, filed on Tuesday by Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan, claims that a bus rented by the usually eco-friendly group was traveling cross town to the band's hotel on Aug. 8 when it pulled up alongside a metal grating on the Kinzie Street Bridge. That's when, the suit claims, bus driver Stefan A. Wohl emptied the contents of the vehicle's septic tank into the river.

And that was bad news for Chicago's First Lady, a passing tour boat filled with 100 people on an architecturesightseeing cruise that was doused by the falling excrement.

No one was seriously hurt by the raining waste. The boat's captain made a U-turn and headed back to the dock, where reeking passengers were given refunds and the ship was thoroughly cleaned and sanitized.

Madigan seeks more than $70,000 in civil penalties from the Dave Matthews Band and their driver for violating the state's water pollution and public nuisance laws.

"This incident may be unique, but that does not lessen the environmental or public health risks posed by the release of at least 800 pounds of liquid human waste into a busy waterway and onto a crowded tour boat," Madigan said in a statement.

DMB's spokesman, John Vlautin, says this isn't the kind of jam the band is used to and says any pollution was not intentional.

"Our driver has stated that he was not involved in this incident," Vlautin said in a statement, adding that the band "will continue to be cooperative in this investigation."

No word on whether any of the tainted tourists plan to take legal action against the rockers.

The Dave Matthews Band will presumably keep their waste under control as they continue on their current tour, which is now on the road on the West Coast for the next month before linking up with the Vote for Change tour. The politically motivated trek, featuring the likes of Bruce Springsteen, the Dixie Chicks, Pearl Jam and John Mellencamp, will play 34 shows in 28 cities in swing states in an effort to unseat President Bush.

DMB will hook up with Jurassic Five and My Morning Jacket for six dates, starting Oct. 1 at University Park, Pennsylvania, and continuing on to Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa and Florida.

T Park Num 9
08-25-2004, 08:57 PM
lol.

What hypocrits.

Dumpin ur tank into the river.

Couldn't find a KOA and dump it there.

Im sure that would've been "under" them.

MannyIsGod
08-25-2004, 09:16 PM
Dude, Dave is not one to condon anything like this, and I guarntee that it was done without his knowledge.

08-25-2004, 09:39 PM
Still happened (If you can believe the news report).

T Park Num 9
08-25-2004, 10:02 PM
Im sure Manny.

They stop the bus, and the perverbial owner of the bus, has zero clue about whats going on.

I highly doubt that he was "uninformed"

ididnotnothat
08-25-2004, 10:05 PM
Maybe he was in the bathroom and didn't know they stopped?

Shelly
08-25-2004, 10:06 PM
Maybe he was in the bathroom and didn't know they stopped?

:lol he must've been backed up for days for them to dump 800 pounds!

SpursWoman
08-25-2004, 10:17 PM
Poor people on the tour boat... :( :vomit

:lol :lol @ Shelly!

Joe Chalupa
08-25-2004, 10:39 PM
I'm sure someone will sue for defecation of character.

Shelly
08-25-2004, 10:50 PM
:rollin ^^

DuffMcCartney
08-25-2004, 11:12 PM
Now Dave can write a 2 hour improv style jam about getting rid of their shit.

SequSpur
08-26-2004, 12:18 AM
Dave Matthews Sucks.

SpursWoman
08-26-2004, 12:32 AM
I'm sure someone will sue for defecation of character.

:lol :lol :lol

Sequ, I was waiting patiently for the "corn floats" remark.

zombie68
08-26-2004, 02:55 AM
Dave Mattews has to keep his name on the news because his music sucks!

T Park Num 9
08-26-2004, 03:00 AM
What happens when a band starts to fade from the light?

They get political.

See

Jam, Pearl

Band, Dave Matthews

MannyIsGod
08-26-2004, 03:57 AM
LMAO, if Dave is fading from the light you might want to tell that to the hordes of people that show up at the shows.

TPark, you know nothing about what happend other than that news report, yet you feel the need to run your ignorant mouth.

I wish someone would dump the human waste known as Tpark into a river.

Whottt
08-26-2004, 07:17 AM
Man! What a shitty thing to do!

Shelly
08-26-2004, 09:19 AM
It's because Dave Matthews is a Commie (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/yrtwn/seast/263seyt1.htm)

Driver, band could face criminal charges in waste dump
Thursday, August 26, 2004
By Jonathan Lipman
Staff writers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Police are considering criminal charges against the Dave Matthews Band and its bus driver for allegedly dumping gallons of human sewage onto tour boat passengers June 8.
At separate news conferences, Chicago police officials and Mayor Richard Daley said they have witness accounts, partial confessions and video that indicates driver Stefan Wohl's bus was responsible for the load of waste.

Passengers who were on the boat, which was passing beneath the Kinzie Street bridge over the Chicago River, were doused in waste.

"It's a criminal charge to basically pollute a river, to basically endanger the health of somebody, all those people on the boat," Daley said.

Chicago police spokesman Dave Bayless said the department is talking with county and federal attorneys about possible criminal charges. Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan sued the band and Wohl on Tuesday in Cook County Circuit Court, asking for $70,000 in damages. The lawsuit says 800 pounds of waste was released into the river without a permit.

Madigan also wants the court to check on the policies for waste dumping at Four Seasons Coach, the bus company.

"This incident may be unique but that does not lessen the environmental or public health risks posed by the release of at least 800 pounds of liquid human waste," Madigan said in a statement.

Bayless said police scoured the area to see if any privately maintained security cameras got footage of the incident.

"We found this one. We took a look at it ... and at 1:18 the video shows a bus crossing over the bridge," Bayless said. "Investigators watched tape 15 minutes before and after that time, and it's the only bus that goes over the bridge."

Witnesses on the tour boat gave a description of the bus that matched the footage as well as a partial license plate number. Police used that to track the bus to the Tennessee company the Dave Matthews Band was renting. The band was staying overnight in Chicago after a show in Wisconsin.

Wohl, from Texas, admitted to driving the bus over the bridge at the time of the incident but has not admitted to any dumping of waste, Bayless said.

The band had rented five buses that day and Daley said he did not know if Matthews himself was on the offending bus, but doubted the singer had anything to do with the incident.

"A great band, I just want to say that. A very good band," Daley said.

Mark J. Konkol contributed to this report.

MannyIsGod
08-26-2004, 11:58 AM
The band had rented five buses that day and Daley said he did not know if Matthews himself was on the offending bus, but doubted the singer had anything to do with the incident.

:A :served

and for good measure TPark, :flipoff .

:next3

Shelly
08-26-2004, 12:02 PM
They get political.

And how is dumping a bunch of shit on people being political?

Damn you, bastards! You don't like my music anymore? Well, I'll show you!

Useruser666
08-26-2004, 12:07 PM
800 pounds dumped in the river? They weren't dumping they were just going for a swim. :)

Useruser666 :eyebrow

bigzak25
08-26-2004, 12:09 PM
that band is for chics.....and the poor saps trying to get laid by said chics....

Jimcs50
08-26-2004, 01:05 PM
Ode to the tourists

Where are you going
With your surprised face looking up, don't hide away
Like an ocean that you can't see but you can smell
And the sound of shit crashing down

I am no superman
I have no reasons for you
And I am no hero, oh, that's for sure
But I do know one thing
Where you are is where I empty my waste
I do know where you go
Is where I want to dump

Where are you going?
Where do you go?

Are you looking for towlettes under the bridge?
If along the way you are left out of sort
You are covered in excrement you can know
A brighter day and you're OK when you take my ass to court

I am no superman
I have no answers for you

T Park Num 9
08-26-2004, 02:18 PM
And how is dumping a bunch of shit on people being political?

Uhh, the story mentions they are on a tour with the French Hens, Bruce Springstein, and Pearl Jam,

trying to unseat president Bush.

That, I dont know, that kinda seems, political.

Also Dave Matthews himself is credited with the gem of a line

"Saddam is very popular in Iraq, if he is to be unseated, I would think the Iraqi people would do so."

What a dolt.

E20
08-26-2004, 02:28 PM
That's a pretty dumb statement made by Dave. I mean if the Iraqi's all summoned the balls to do that even those that are 'Daam's body guards/henchmen, sure they'd win because it would be Iraq vs 'Daam, but if it were the general Iraqi population holding up signs saying no more 'Daam. They'd get there asses shot right up on the spot.

Shelly
08-26-2004, 02:54 PM
ahh...but Tpark, you failed to see the sarcasm in my post. My bad.

T Park Num 9
08-26-2004, 04:05 PM
Im sorry I didn't.

Thats the problem around here, sometimes people say something and mean it in total sarcasm and the other person just sees words and doesnt hear the sarcasm.

too bad there isnt a sarcasm icon.

Shelly I apologize.

E20, hes one of the hollywod elite.
shouldnt be suprising.

DuffMcCartney
08-26-2004, 04:21 PM
LMAO, if Dave is fading from the light you might want to tell that to the hordes of people that show up at the shows.

Those are probably the same people that went to his shows in 93.

T Park Num 9
08-26-2004, 04:54 PM
Seeing as Pearl Jam tickets can be had for the same price as in 93 I dont think they are advancing far either.