PDA

View Full Version : Even on his best behavior, Ron Artest is an awkward fit with Lakers

duncan228
03-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Even on his best behavior, Ron Artest is an awkward fit with Lakers (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-plaschke-lakers-20100324,0,1475112.column)
While he’s been an excellent teammate, contrary to his reputation, Artest isn’t helping the Lakers on court as much as Trevor Ariza, the man he replaced, did last season.
By Bill Plaschke
LA Times

The long list of those who think the Lakers miss Trevor Ariza just increased by one.

Even Ron Artest agrees?

"He's a better player than me," Artest said Tuesday.

But Ron-Ron, nobody ever said he was better, we just said he was a better fit.

"He's a better player," Artest repeated emphatically. "He's won a ring, I haven't. I can't even compare to him. He's a better player."

Artest also agrees, incidentally, with the part about Ariza being a better fit.

"He probably is," Artest said. "He's a role player, a great role player. I haven't been a role player. Many times I've had to carry the load, this is a different look for me."

It is this different look that has some of the Lakers covering their eyes. Entering the season's final stretch, basketball's wackiest star is performing his nuttiest act yet.

Ron Artest is barely raising an eyebrow. He hasn't figured out the flow of the Lakers offense this season, he has sometimes seemed a step slow on defense, and he's made little impact on the team's toughness.

In a move engineered by the Buss family last summer, Artest was signed here from the Houston Rockets to replace Ariza, who then signed with Houston, after balking at the Lakers' contract offer.

It is a move that some Lakers folks would now take back. It was a move that many of us thought should never have happened in the first place.

Ariza didn't have Artest's star power, but he was a better offensive complement to Kobe Bryant, a more versatile team defender, and a guy who had survived the championship battle to win a ring.

He was a known quantity who would have been an invaluable soul in the difficult quest to win a second consecutive title. Artest was a Lakers unknown who is still, well, a Lakers unknown.

"With Ron, there's a little synapse there, a little delayed reaction," Coach Phil Jackson said. "That's just Ron, regardless. All the guys have had to get used to it."

The adjustment has been fine in the locker room, where, contrary to initial fears, Artest has been a model of unselfishness and deference. The adjustment hasn't been so easy on the court, where he's been just as quiet.

After 70 games, the team is 52-18, four games behind the pace of last season's Lakers. Less than a month before the playoffs, the difference between the two versions can be found in the difference between Artest and Ariza.

This year's team seems unsure of itself. Last year's team had no doubt.

While Artest is averaging fewer points, rebounds and assists than Ariza, he has better shooting percentages, but it's not about their numbers, it's about their presence.

The Lakers are still waiting for Artest, 30, to fit into an offensive flow where the younger Ariza existed seamlessly. The Lakers are still waiting for Artest to shut down more opponents like he shut down Denver's Carmelo Anthony at the end of last month, and make the sort of big defensive plays Ariza made regularly.

"Artest is still figuring things out, but we expected that," said teammate Lamar Odom.

Expected it, or feared it? Remember, the Buss family suddenly acquired Artest and dumped Ariza seemingly without similar enthusiasm from either General Manager Mitch Kupchak or Jackson. While both men publicly endorsed the deal, one must wonder whether today they are still shaking their heads.

Artest is certainly shaking his head. While his previous comments about Ariza were made with a straight face, it was clear that they contained some annoyed sarcasm.

Here he is, on his best behavior, and it's still not enough? He didn't force the Lakers to sign him. He didn't ask to shoulder Ariza's memory. He's just trying to fit in, and growing increasingly frustrated that he's not.

"People see me play, they know what type of player I'm about," he said. "'What I was before, it's not as important, what's more important is winning and playing team ball. I could be averaging a lot of points and making people real happy, but that means somebody else would not be reaping the benefits. They won a championship last year, a lot of guys deserve to still shine."

Spoken like a great teammate. If only he were so eloquent on the court, where, as Jackson noted, there often seems to be something missing.

"I don't know. I don't know," Artest said, pausing. "I mean, I'm making my mark defensively. My defense has been unbelievable. I don't know whose defense has been as unbelievable as mine."

He also notes that he has lost 15 pounds during the season, saying he's down to 253 and slowly working into postseason shape.

"It's OK to put it on me, talk about me, that means I'm still alive," Artest said.

The Lakers can only hope.

Findog
03-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Haven't watched a ton of Lakers game this year, but historically he's been a ball stopper with questionable shot selection. I'm not surprised that he's made no waves in the locker room, since Kobe and Phil are probably the only two guys in the League he'll defer towards.

PGDynasty24
03-23-2010, 10:46 PM
Haven't watched a ton of Lakers game this year, but historically he's been a ball stopper with questionable shot selection. I'm not surprised that he's made no waves in the locker room, since Kobe and Phil are probably the only two guys in the League he'll defer towards.

he's been a great teammate. Ron Artest is crazy but nowhere near Rodman crazy,P-Jax has seen it all. I do agree Ron Ron offensively hasn't fit in well,but defense he has been all that we could ask for

Killakobe81
03-23-2010, 10:57 PM
he's been a great teammate. Ron Artest is crazy but nowhere near Rodman crazy,P-Jax has seen it all. I do agree Ron Ron offensively hasn't fit in well,but defense he has been all that we could ask for

This and he has shot better is a better passer he definitely has more assits and is one of the few Lakers who can actually execute a post entry pass ...properly.

But he has struggled in the triangle ...

Native American
03-23-2010, 11:08 PM
This reminds me of the Tongva tribe from southern California. A great and proud people. In the late 1800s and early 1900s, they were among the first native tribes to welcome the dark men to live with them as free men. This was the second and third generation of families of freed slaves who traveled west to find better ways to live. These free dark men seemed a perfect fit for the Tongva. They were strong and no stranger to hard work to help with hunting and building. And as many natives have come to discover the evil and treachery of the pale man, they shared a common dislike. So it indeed seemed a perfect fit. However, only a few generations removed from slavery, these dark men were still uneducated and lacked proper understanding of discipline and mutual respect. The Tongva tribe encountered many incidents of the younger dark men raping young Tongva women and even engaging in unusual and unacceptable atrocities, including forceful, anal intercourse. The stories of the Tongva were well traveled among other tribes in the west. And from those stories, the Tongva have become very closed tribe, cautious of welcoming any strangers into their lives.

I find disturbing similarities with Ron Artest and the Lakers. And by that I mean while the Lakers welcomed Artest in hopes of a perfect fit, they would be wise to be very cautious less they end up getting fucked in the ass.

DesignatedT
03-23-2010, 11:08 PM
that guy is a nut. lakers would be better off without that side show.

KSeal
03-23-2010, 11:20 PM
Ariza didn't even really come on until the playoffs started, so let's wait and see what happens in the playoffs before these types of things are written.

PGDynasty24
03-23-2010, 11:56 PM
ya im interested to see what ron ron does in the playoffs

Indazone
03-24-2010, 12:50 AM
If Ariza continued to play like he did before the K-Mart trade, I want Artest back. Ariza had earned the right to be called "chucker"

ChrisRichards
03-24-2010, 02:31 AM
But, but, but

"38%>47%

Regular Season>Playoff stats"

Cobbler 03/12/2010

:lol

djohn2oo8
03-24-2010, 08:40 AM
ya im interested to see what ron ron does in the playoffs

You will see the real Artest stand up, and it won't be pretty

stretch
03-24-2010, 09:28 AM
ariza to me fit better with the Lakers needs than artest does.

Bob Lanier
03-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Ron Artest is crazy but nowhere near Rodman crazy
I don't think so. Rodman was eccentric and flamboyant. Artest is mentally ill.

JamStone
03-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Lol Rodman was/is mentally ill as well. Don't let the amusement and entertainment value of his madness disguise the fact that he was still completely insane.

Brazil
03-24-2010, 09:41 AM
ariza to me fit better with the Lakers needs than artest does.

+1

As I said at the announcement of the move, Ariza was perfect for the Lakers, as a role player with another year experience, Ariza>Artest in the Lakers context.

stretch
03-24-2010, 09:49 AM
+1

As I said at the announcement of the move, Ariza was perfect for the Lakers, as a role player with another year experience, Ariza>Artest in the Lakers context.

agreed. While Artest is obviously the better all-around basketball player, his scoring comes more from a "volume" shooting approach, while Ariza would get his buckets off of wide open 3's, and easy buckets in transition (he ran the floor EXTREMELY well as a Laker), good offensive off-the-ball movement, and give-and-gos.

Also, Artest's defense is more of a bruising type, that tends to work mainly on people that dont like physical play, but if you get someone who can take it (ex. Lebron), or if your main source of scoring comes from someone other than your SG/SF (ex. Mavs/Spurs) then his defense isn't all that useful. On the other hand, Ariza is a guy who perhaps doesnt play as good of straight defense, but is still quite good, but is a lot quicker, more athletic, and plays passing lanes better and creates turnovers that lead to easy transition buckets, which IMO is what the Lakers defense revolves around, as opposed to just locking your opponent up (which I feel is going to be their weakness in the end). I think just all around, Ariza fits the Lakers system better.

cheguevara
03-24-2010, 10:17 AM
sorry but Artest is gonna wake up in the playoffs and kick some ass. He will probably be best Laker after Kobe in the playoffs.

Indazone
03-24-2010, 10:29 AM
I think Artest will come alive in the playoffs too. That's when beast mode kicks in. Rowwwrrrrrghhhhh!! He'll carve the words TruWarier in his hair now dyed Lakers Yellow and you'll see it.

ChrisRichards
03-24-2010, 10:42 AM
People should remember that better player does not mean better chemistry. Artest is a better individual player but that does'nt necessarily mean he'll be a better fit than Ariza. They have 60+ games with Artest in the lineup in starter minutes and the dude still cant find his groove. Ariza was pretty much a third string back up logging less than 18 minutes before he was inserted in the starting line up and he fit right in no matter what. Jackson would plug him for 10 minutes and Ariza would make things happen for the Lakers. He would steal, deflect the ball from a passing lane, make that extra pass, finish in transition or hit a steady three pointer. Thats the beauty of Ariza with the Lakers.

ChrisRichards
03-24-2010, 10:45 AM
sorry but Artest is gonna wake up in the playoffs and kick some ass. He will probably be best Laker after Kobe in the playoffs.
A career 40% shooter with no lift nor any relaible offensive move is not going to be LA's second best player. Maybe defensively, but I think players like Odom and Bynum are still the key to success before Artest name comes to play.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
03-24-2010, 11:03 AM
This reminds me of the Tongva tribe from southern California. A great and proud people. In the late 1800s and early 1900s, they were among the first native tribes to welcome the dark men to live with them as free men. This was the second and third generation of families of freed slaves who traveled west to find better ways to live. These free dark men seemed a perfect fit for the Tongva. They were strong and no stranger to hard work to help with hunting and building. And as many natives have come to discover the evil and treachery of the pale man, they shared a common dislike. So it indeed seemed a perfect fit. However, only a few generations removed from slavery, these dark men were still uneducated and lacked proper understanding of discipline and mutual respect. The Tongva tribe encountered many incidents of the younger dark men raping young Tongva women and even engaging in unusual and unacceptable atrocities, including forceful, anal intercourse. The stories of the Tongva were well traveled among other tribes in the west. And from those stories, the Tongva have become very closed tribe, cautious of welcoming any strangers into their lives.

I find disturbing similarities with Ron Artest and the Lakers. And by that I mean while the Lakers welcomed Artest in hopes of a perfect fit, they would be wise to be very cautious less they end up getting fucked in the ass.

Best poster on the site. How about another rap?

Brazil
03-24-2010, 12:01 PM

sorry but Ariza did a fine job in the POs last year especially in 4th quarter with clutch steals and great Defense.

Once again as already stated Artest is with no context the best all around player of the two but for the Lakers Ariza was just what they needed: good defender capable of scoring open 3s, dunking and making decise D plays in particular in the 4th.

lefty
03-24-2010, 12:16 PM
sorry but Ariza did a fine job in the POs last year especially in 4th quarter with clutch steals and great Defense.

Once again as already stated Artest is with no context the best all around player of the two but for the Lakers Ariza was just what they needed: good defender capable of scoring open 3s, dunking and making decise D plays in particular in the 4th.
More like opponents throwing the ball into his hands

Baseline
03-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Bottom line is that Ariza was super-athletic, and he made the Lakers one of the more athletic teams in the league, in addition to being the longest team in the league.

He had an uncanny ability to make steals and create breakaway dunks, which broke the backs of opponents and kill runs. He was able to gamble in the passing lanes because of all the length underneath.

On the offensive side, he was great at moving the ball and could hit spot-up threes consistently. Yet he didn't look for his shot, so he didn't take anything away from the offense - he merely added to it.

When the Lakers let him go, I was ecstatic. I knew they would miss him terribly. And they do.

rjv
03-24-2010, 12:37 PM
he's an awkward fit for mankind.

j.dizzle
03-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Bottom line is that Ariza was super-athletic, and he made the Lakers one of the more athletic teams in the league, in addition to being the longest team in the league.

He had an uncanny ability to make steals and create breakaway dunks, which broke the backs of opponents and kill runs. He was able to gamble in the passing lanes because of all the length underneath.

On the offensive side, he was great at moving the ball and could hit spot-up threes consistently. Yet he didn't look for his shot, so he didn't take anything away from the offense - he merely added to it.

When the Lakers let him go, I was ecstatic. I knew they would miss him terribly. And they do.
:lol Ariza has some of the worst ball handling skills & isnt good at passing or throwing the ball into the post. Ron doesnt look for his offense at all, dude is too scared to shoot wide open three's. Phil & Kobe will make sure he doesnt think twice about shooting when hes wide open in the playoffs. Ppl seem to forget LA was twice as hungry last season & look like they dont give a damn at the moment..Odom even admitted last week that they werent trying that hard right now. Honestly the only times ive seen them play hard this season was when Kobe was out,in the 2nd half in the last game vs Denver & earlier in the season when they held Utah to 6 pts in the 4th quarter.

Native American
03-24-2010, 01:08 PM
How about another rap?

Laker fan faggots suck Ron off like every hour
WTF would they say if he had them cornered in the shower?
Their desperate need for affection, they'd even swallow his cock
Go starve yourselves to death, maybe then he'll call you his "dogs"

Perfect fit with the Lakers? Injun please, don't be so sure
But he does worship that bitch Kobe, so I guess that makes him their Tru Warier
Wait til the playoffs, these Laker clones will start hating him
This fake tough guy's a bigger bitch than Kloe Kardashian

"Ron's great" just more Laker logic. What will they say next?
Can it top the gem: "Isn't it great how Magic got AIDs from gay sex?"
But they're loyal, they love their team, dumb logic, their moms, and one another
By that I mean lakaluva sure is one stupid motherfucker

djohn2oo8
03-24-2010, 01:27 PM

But they're loyal, they love their team, dumb logic, their moms, and one another

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao Sig Worthy

ChrisRichards
03-24-2010, 01:28 PM

:rollin

ChrisRichards
03-24-2010, 01:29 PM
:lol Ariza has some of the worst ball handling skills & isnt good at passing or throwing the ball into the post. Ron doesnt look for his offense at all, dude is too scared to shoot wide open three's. Phil & Kobe will make sure he doesnt think twice about shooting when hes wide open in the playoffs. Ppl seem to forget LA was twice as hungry last season & look like they dont give a damn at the moment..Odom even admitted last week that they werent trying that hard right now. Honestly the only times ive seen them play hard this season was when Kobe was out,in the 2nd half in the last game vs Denver & earlier in the season when they held Utah to 6 pts in the 4th quarter.
He said Ariza was great at MOVING THE BALL, not to be mistaken with BALL HANDLING. Sheesh.:rolleyes

JamStone
03-24-2010, 02:37 PM

:lol:lol:rollin:lol:lol

himat
03-24-2010, 02:50 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao Sig Worthy

:lmao:toast

cheguevara
03-24-2010, 02:56 PM

oh shit. Lakerfan just got owned :lmao

Killakobe81
03-24-2010, 11:55 PM
This was funny especially after Ron went psycho on the Spurs ...

namlook
03-25-2010, 02:51 AM
Damn, Artest looked really awkward tonight. :lmao

With Artest the Lakers are the best defensive team in basketball.

SomeCallMeTim
03-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Damn, Artest looked really awkward tonight. :lmao

With Artest the Lakers are the best defensive team in basketball.

The Lakers have taken a step backward this year offensively. I think it's fair to say that can be tied in part to Artest. Kobe, Odom, and Fisher have been worse and missing Pau for a while all caused a slip too.

But they've also taken a step forward defensively and it seems clear that Artest's addition is the main reason. He's been even better defensively than I hoped. Didn't know he still had this in him.

So far, it's been something of a wash.... giving up offensively what they gained defensively. We'll see if "playoff basketball" and "defense wins championships" applies, where typically you'd trade some offensive firepower for awesome defense.

JamStone
03-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Laker fans act like last night they beat the 2005 Spurs in the WCF.

j.dizzle
03-25-2010, 11:18 AM
The offense isnt as efficient but when they clamp down on D its a beautiful thing..Kobe, Ron, & Lamar are extremely entertaining to watch when they play together.

HarlemHeat37
03-25-2010, 12:35 PM
I never questioned how Artest would fit, it was obvious he would fit in..he's a woman beater and animal abuser..he joins a rapist, snitch and a racist..there's no team in the NBA that could give him a fit like that, it's a perfect match and a nice melange of antisocial humans that get a pass for playing basketball for a popular team..

Killakobe81
03-25-2010, 12:37 PM
No i did not. I eXPECT to beat the spurs ...I wa smore encouraged by Kobe's patient dismantling and the havoc ron caused. We also got major contributions from a weak bench. Odom made up for Bynum Farmar actually kept Fish glued to the bench and Shannon actually helped erase a deficit ...when kobe sat.

Lakers IMHO are playing the course not the opponent. it's not about who we beat it's about HOW we play ...

i know tat comment wasnt directed at me ...but I think even with some of the more vocal brazen posters on here ...that is also why they are enthused. Plus Jamstone this is a SPURS board of course when anyone beats the Spurs (suns, Mavs hornets etc.) there will be some overthetop gloating.

I am in teh Spurs aRE NOT done camp. So to me it's a good win on the road ...but it's not like we beat the Cavs Mavs, nuggs Celts or Magic ...

TheMACHINE
03-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Ron was horrible last night.

Ariza would have had more then 16 points, 8 rebounds, 5 steals, 1 block and woulda shot more then 45%fg. Damn Artest is a cancer!

djohn2oo8
03-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Ron was horrible last night.

Ariza would have had more then 16 points, 8 rebounds, 5 steals, 1 block and woulda shot more then 45%fg. Damn Artest is a cancer!

No one said he'd be a cancer, we said LeBron would continue to bend him over everytime they played the Lakers. Same with the other quicker guards/forwards

RedsLakers24
03-25-2010, 01:49 PM
http://nsa14.casimages.com/img/2010/03/25/100325073056965434.gif

Banzai
03-25-2010, 02:08 PM
I'm derailing this thread with some Van Halen sZLKtjATZt0

picc84
03-25-2010, 02:42 PM
I never questioned how Artest would fit, it was obvious he would fit in..he's a woman beater and animal abuser..he joins a rapist, snitch and a racist..there's no team in the NBA that could give him a fit like that, it's a perfect match and a nice melange of antisocial humans that get a pass for playing basketball for a popular team..

Gotta admit, after the first sentence that caught me off guard. :rollin

jonnybravo
03-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Laker fans act like last night they beat the 2005 Spurs in the WCF.

Nah, but it's always good to celebrate the demise of a "rival".

IronMexican
03-25-2010, 07:32 PM
No one said he'd be a cancer, we said LeBron would continue to bend him over everytime they played the Lakers. Same with the other quicker guards/forwards

No, a lot of people said he would be a cancer. That he would be a "ticking time bomb". We're waiting.

HarlemHeat37
03-25-2010, 07:38 PM
I never said he would be a cancer, I actually argued with people that said he would..I just said I didn't believe he was that good of a player, especially defensively..he's proved me wrong from a defensive standpoint over the last 2 months or so, I'll say that..

It'll be very tough for him to match Ariza's production in last year's playoffs though, we'll see..Artest is a better player and it's arguable(most likely, actually) that Ariza's performance in last year's playoffs was an aberration, so it'll be tough IMO..

djohn2oo8
03-25-2010, 08:07 PM
No, a lot of people said he would be a cancer. That he would be a "ticking time bomb". We're waiting.

Maybe they meant Bynum's knees :wakeup

HarlemHeat37
03-25-2010, 08:32 PM
Slow down HH. You are starting to sound more than stupid than usual my good friend. There were numerous threads making fun of us saying that Laker Ron would ruin the chemistry of our team. You all were so hyped from seeing Kobe and Laker Ron go at it in the playoffs, that you just ass-umed it will be a total collapse of the Lakeshow. Well, now what? It's not happening like you all thought it would so now you have to change up your story and start sucking our cocks.

You all also thought you were back in the seat of contention for our title, and you were wrong there as well, and quite stupid for thiking so. I'm going to enjoy fucking you next week as well, an pray you don't see us in the first round good buddy.

:rollin:rollin:rollin

LOL..I wasn't speaking for anybody but myself, and I said Artest wouldn't be a bad fit and his "antics" wouldn't be a big problem..I agree that a lot of people said he would be a bad fit though..Artest has to be on his best behavior, if he does anything wrong, you know Kobe's going to snitch, it's his M.O..

I'm not really hyping the Lakers, so stop imagining me sucking your cock..I don't think the Lakers are that good, and they aren't going to win the title this season..if they win it, I won't post here from June until the regular season starts, barring a major injury to an important player on Cleveland or Orlando..

cobbler
03-25-2010, 10:31 PM

Should we go back to the offseason posts? 90% of them were about how Artest is a cancer and would blow up the Lakers with his silliness.

cobbler
03-25-2010, 10:37 PM
:rollin:rollin:rollin

LOL..I wasn't speaking for anybody but myself, and I said Artest wouldn't be a bad fit and his "antics" wouldn't be a big problem..I agree that a lot of people said he would be a bad fit though..Artest has to be on his best behavior, if he does anything wrong, you know Kobe's going to snitch, it's his M.O..

I'm not really hyping the Lakers, so stop imagining me sucking your cock..I don't think the Lakers are that good, and they aren't going to win the title this season..if they win it, I won't post here from June until the regular season starts, barring a major injury to an important player on Cleveland or Orlando..

You know Harlem, you from time to time make good posts. You obviously know a bit about the game. But comments like these. Your total Laker hatred. They are what make you look completely idiotic and in turn diminish any value there might be in your posts.

I could only wish to be the saint that you profess to be... :lol

IronMexican
03-25-2010, 10:41 PM
i'm derailing this thread with some van halen szlktjatzt0

bdFTNy_UTGU

cobbler
03-26-2010, 12:27 AM
But, but, but

"38%>47%

Regular Season>Playoff stats"

Cobbler 03/12/2010

:lol

How come your quote supposedly from me, which in fact was a complete lie posted by you... has changed?

Go figure... Friggen moron lying piece of SHIT. :lol

cobbler
03-26-2010, 02:07 AM
People should remember that better player does not mean better chemistry. Artest is a better individual player but that does'nt necessarily mean he'll be a better fit than Ariza. They have 60+ games with Artest in the lineup in starter minutes and the dude still cant find his groove. Ariza was pretty much a third string back up logging less than 18 minutes before he was inserted in the starting line up and he fit right in no matter what. Jackson would plug him for 10 minutes and Ariza would make things happen for the Lakers. He would steal, deflect the ball from a passing lane, make that extra pass, finish in transition or hit a steady three pointer. Thats the beauty of Ariza with the Lakers.

You are correct. Artest is the better overall player. You are also correct that a better player doesn't mean better fit.

Now let's discuss the other points. Still can't find his groove? What groove is that? Offense? Defense? Locker room? He's been a model teammate. His numbers across the board for the season are equal or "above" his career numbers. Only difference is his points which went from a career avg of 15.6 to 11.3. Clearly this is becaue he's the 3rd or 4th option since his %'s are higher. Funny thing though, the Lakers didn't sign Ron for his offense at all. Any offense from him is icing. His defense has been gradually stepping up for the last 20 games. He lost weight and I am even surprised at the quickness he's showing of late. The Lakers are arguably a much better defensive team with Ron and the numbers show that as well. Does he look awkward at times in the offensive flow? Absolutely. Many do with the Lakers system and going from #1 or 2 option to 3 or 4 is a big change. I've seen nothing but steady improvement throughout the season. Again, that is not why the Lakers obtained him. Ron has surpassed every expectation I had for him. I can't imagine the Lakers being too upset he's putting up better than career avgs and the team is ranked higher defensively. That is after all, the reason they got him.

When the Lakers lost in 2008, what was the prevailing reason? What were all you haters singing? The Lakers got punked. The Lakers are soft. As soon as they played a tough team they folded etc etc. Last year, they win the title and we hear they got lucky. They only won because the tougher teams in Boston and Cleveland got hurt or didnt make it to the finals. Houston and Denver manhandled them and took them to 6 & 7 games. blah blah blah So they lost a valuable player in Ariza who wanted twice the money and replaced him with a better one on one defender who has improved the Lakers overall D and more importanty, toughness. Gosh, that really sucks to fill a need like that.

Ariza was never a 3rd string player on the Lakers unless you are talking about the times he was sitting on the end of the bench with his foot in the cast. He was backup to Luke last year and got a chance early in the season to start and shortly returned to the bench backing Walton because he struggled. He even asked to be put back on the 2nd string because he felt more comfortable in that role. Odd that you thought he fit in so seamlessly. He certainly didn't. But what would he know compared to you? It was only at Waltons personal request to PJ that Trevor was inserted in the starting role later in the season. His regular season numbers were the same as his career numbers and very much the same as this years. He had an unbelievable playoffs. He absolutely stepped up and made huge plays and shot and amazing %. He got hot. Never before or since has he shown that. Let's see if he steps up big this season. I am rooting for him. I wish he was still a Laker. Would I trade Ron back for him right now? Not a chance.

He steals, deflects the ball from a passing lane, guards the opposing teams best player making life on Kobe easier, makes the extra pass, is maybe the best post entry passer on the team, finishes in transition, hits a steady three pointer, makes the Lakers a MUCH tougher team, and is only going to get better as he gels more with the team and learns from the best. That's the beauty of Artest with the Lakers.

TheManFromAcme
03-26-2010, 08:48 AM
:tu @ cobbler

HarlemHeat37
03-26-2010, 10:31 AM
I guarantee the Lakers aren't winning..I'll take your bet..

JamStone
03-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Hey wassup guys!

DJ Mbenga
03-26-2010, 09:32 PM
the lakers without bynum are good enough to beat a scrub team like the spurs but not against a young and team that plays hard like okc.

mytespurs
03-26-2010, 10:17 PM
the lakers without bynum are good enough to beat a scrub team like the spurs but not against a young and team that plays hard like okc.

Your Lakers should not only be good enough to beat a "scrub team" like my Spurs but with your HOF coach, HOF player a la Kobe Bryant, your team's talent,and most important your team's pedigree, after a day off b/t games and the way your team manhandled the Spurs.....they should have more than enough left over to handle and young, up and coming, inexperienced team like OKC...after all, this is a team that the Lakers have beaten what..... xxx times in a row when they were the Seattle Supersonics & OKC combined......at home and on the road...but then again, there's a first time for everything isn't there? :hat