PDA

View Full Version : Supermarket cashier wins $20M lotto prize, tells ex-husband: Sucks to be you

lefty
03-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Pwned ! :lol

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100322/national/lottery6_49

By Colin Perkel, The Canadian Press

TORONTO - A part-time supermarket cashier and occasional lottery-ticket buyer choked back tears Monday as she pondered how her bank balance had gone from under $100 to more than $20 million with the luck of the draw.

An overwhelmed Bonnie Preece, 49, of London, Ont., flanked by her husband, parents and sisters, collected half of Saturday's Lotto 6-49 jackpot. "For me, I can't grasp this kind of money," she said struggling for words.

"My savings account was $80.17; I think it's going to be a little bit more than that now."

Preece was one of two winning ticket holders for Saturday's $42.2-million draw. The other was sold in Edmonton but it was not immediately known who bought it.

Although she seldom played the lottery - she couldn't spare the $2 ticket price - she decided to plunk down two toonies at the store across from the No Frills, where she's been a cashier for the past five years, given the size of the jackpot.

Preece chose computer-generated numbers for her two tickets.

She initially thought she had only three of the needed six numbers.

On Sunday morning, however, after a phone call to her sister, she knew she had hit it big.

"I told her, 'Sit down and take a coffee,' " said husband William Rollings, 57, as he brushed a tear from her eye as her head poked above the oversize novelty cheque that she clutched as if her life depended on it.

"It was euphoria after that."

She opted not to go in for her shift Sunday. Duh :lol

Preece said she was forced to declare bankruptcy a few years ago after her first marriage ended. She couldn't even get a credit card.

Asked if she had a message for her ex, she said simply: "Sucks to be you."

It's been a struggle to earn every dollar, she said, scrounging as many extra hours at work as she could.

The owner of the store, Gary Coyle, praised her as a wonderful community-minded woman who worked with seniors and loved animals.

No Frills, where she dropped off treats for colleagues Monday morning, has agreed to keep her on its payroll until she decides whether she will be returning to work, a job that paid $12.30 an hour.

"I'll probably still shop there - I like my specials," she said.
However, she also said she had plans to travel, invest, help her family and friends, and finally buy a car.
"I don't want to take the bus anymore."
Preece said she was heading straight home to her rented two-bedroom apartment she moved to in January to let her two dogs out.
They will be getting a yard soon, she joked.
The Canadian record for a Lotto 6-49 prize is $54.3 million won in 2005 by 17 people in Camrose, Alta. The biggest single ticket win in Ontario was $40.5 million in 2008.

bus driver
03-24-2010, 11:25 AM
:toast

good for her

Frenzy
03-24-2010, 11:25 AM
If I won i'd go to my job and anyone who was an ass would get a big "fuck you" anyone who was a hard worker and good to me would get some cash in there pockets. hard to imagine getting so much money. I hear it messes up a lot of people lives (ex lottery winners).

I want my life to mess up too!

mrsmaalox
03-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Good for her, I hope she is wise with that money.

florige
03-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Good for her, I hope she is wise with that money.

First thing I would do, turn in my badge, pay for school flat out. Study on becoming a doctor. No brainer.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Study on becoming a doctor. No brainer.

F' that. i'd buy tons of stock on medical and pharmaceutical companies 'til 12/31/2013 then i'd sell sell sell. :tu

baseline bum
03-24-2010, 01:24 PM
F' that. i'd buy tons of stock on medical and pharmaceutical companies 'til 12/31/2013 then i'd sell sell sell. :tu

Case in point of why lottery winners often go broke.

DarkReign
03-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Good to see some young-ish person won it. Sick of hearing "80 year old retiree wins jackpot!"

Its like...really? I realize the family will inherit the fortune, but that means the money gets double-taxed by the government.

Why dont you ever hear about "20 yr old female college student hits the big one!" At least you know she is going to enjoy the winnings.

mrsmaalox
03-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Good to see some young-ish person won it. Sick of hearing "80 year old retiree wins jackpot!"

Its like...really? I realize the family will inherit the fortune, but that means the money gets double-taxed by the government.

Why dont you ever hear about "20 yr old female college student hits the big one!" At least you know she is going to enjoy the winnings.

I agree; just this morning I heard a news story about two 88 yr old sisters battling it out in court over lottery winnings! Crazy.

florige
03-24-2010, 01:48 PM

lol, I def would invest. But I sure as hell would study on getting a job where I would be wealthy whether or not I had those winnings.

symple19
03-24-2010, 01:49 PM
What I really want to see is a full-on crack head win a huge jackpot and then go all Chappelle/Tyrone and buy a basketball rock

The Gemini Method
03-24-2010, 01:49 PM
The reason older people win the lottery more often is like voting--they play religiously. I would definitely gloat to my ex if I won the lottery because she was materialistic as hell. I would rub that shit in her face for a few minutes and drive away on my yacht...

angel_luv
03-24-2010, 01:52 PM
I'm happy for her.

Blake
03-24-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm happy for her.

hmm....do you think God helps people win the lottery?

Viva Las Espuelas
03-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Case in point of why lottery winners often go broke.

What? Investing in medical stocks that knowingly will have an influx of 32 million people is a reason why people go broke? Please explain.

mrsmaalox
03-24-2010, 01:54 PM
The reason older people win the lottery more often is like voting--they play religiously. I would definitely gloat to my ex if I won the lottery because she was materialistic as hell. I would rub that shit in her face for a few minutes and drive away on my yacht...
:lol very good!

Viva Las Espuelas
03-24-2010, 01:57 PM
"you don't mean that"

:lmao

angel_luv
03-24-2010, 01:57 PM
hmm....do you think God helps people win the lottery?

If He does, I hope He sends the winnings my way next big jackpot. :toast

Seriously, I cannot explain away why sometimes good things happen to bad people and why bad things sometimes happen to good people.

I just rejoice when good things happen to good people- as seems to be the case here. :)

oh crap
03-24-2010, 01:59 PM
I just rejoice when good things happen to good people- as seems to be the case here. :)

you cannot judge if she was good or bad based on the article.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Don't most lottery winners' lives get worse after they win? I remember seeing plenty of articles showing that. I think there was a show or series on cable that covered that.

angel_luv
03-24-2010, 02:03 PM
you cannot judge if she was good or bad based on the article.

Well the quotes from her family and associates indicate she is well liked in her community, so that is what I was referring to.

Blake
03-24-2010, 02:08 PM
If He does, I hope He sends the winnings my way next big jackpot. :toast

Seriously, I cannot explain away why sometimes good things happen to bad people and why bad things sometimes happen to good people.

hmm...so you spend your money as well on lottery tickets, in effect gambling, instead of giving that money directly to God and asking him to bless your offering?

baseline bum
03-24-2010, 02:11 PM
What? Investing in medical stocks that knowingly will have an influx of 32 million people is a reason why people go broke? Please explain.

Making risky investments to fulfill a never-ending greed quest most certainly drives people like lottery winners and professional athletes (who just get money thrown at them all at once) broke.

Who knows? Maybe the Democrats grow some balls and add a public option later that'll trash your sure thing. And why would you recommend selling right before the insurance companies are going to start getting these massive profits? Or with the way insurance stocks have been rising, maybe they'll become overvalued by the time you buy.

If you have $20 million, you have no need to play the market and try to get more. As long as you're not caught up in trying to live some life of ridiculous luxury (i.e., buying a yacht, a plane, or a ridiculous mansion), there's no need to blow that money in something risky.

Trainwreck2100
03-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Don't most lottery winners' lives get worse after they win? I remember seeing plenty of articles showing that. I think there was a show or series on cable that covered that.

yes, most of them don't understand that its not unlimited and their family and friends come out the woodwork like vultures looking for fresh carrion.

angel_luv
03-24-2010, 02:14 PM
hmm...so you spend your money as well on lottery tickets, in effect gambling, instead of giving that money directly to God and asking him to bless your offering?

It would be a real miracle if I won the lottery because I do not play it. I prefer to use my spare money to shop for books when I know I am guaranteed something in return.

coyotes_geek
03-24-2010, 02:17 PM

I've seen that show. Lottery winning rednecks show off their new house, new boat, new RV and then bitch about how everyone they know is hounding them for money.

Strike
03-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Well the quotes from her family and associates indicate she is well liked in her community, so that is what I was referring to.

The lady just won a buttload of money in the lottery. Do you think people will publicly call her a bitch?

angel_luv
03-24-2010, 02:51 PM
I don't know. You are taking this story a lot more seriously than I did.

Strike
03-24-2010, 02:53 PM
I couldn't care less, I'm just sayin'. If you worked with someone who won the lottery, would you say nice things or insulting things about them with a news camera in your face?

angel_luv
03-24-2010, 02:55 PM
I couldn't care less, I'm just sayin'. If you worked with someone who won the lottery, would you say nice things or insulting things about them with a news camera in your face?

No, I don't say things about people I do not mean.

But I try not to bad mouth people either ( out of respect; again not for my own benefit) so if I did not like her, I would do my best to avoid being interviewed.

Blake
03-24-2010, 03:32 PM
It would be a real miracle if I won the lottery because I do not play it. I prefer to use my spare money to shop for books when I know I am guaranteed something in return.

gotcha.

I find it interesting that most Christians frown on gambling, but if they are given lottery tickets that end up winning, they have no problems cashing them in and praising God for the winnings.

MoSpur
03-24-2010, 03:41 PM
I don't know what I would do honestly. I'd be afraid of turning out like those folks who end up worse than what they were before.

I would hope to be smart with it. I wouldn't go all out. I'd pay my debts and help my family out with their debt as well. Of course I move into a new house, but nothing too big that has like 11 bathrooms and like 13 bedrooms.

The Gemini Method
03-24-2010, 04:03 PM
It is definitely harder to maintain a sense of one's self when winning the lottery. I know for me it would definitely be easy to spot a johnny-come-lately because I don't have a large family and I keep my friend circle rather tight. Now, I would definitely help pay off the debt of any family members that have been crucial in my development and stayed fair with me. I would also take heed of the friends that were there when I struggled through the hardest time and those who were always true people to be around with.

I would invest a little in the medical field and give back to USC and other universities. Probably buy a house in Laguna Nigel/Newport or the Pacific Palisades and a vacation home somewhere outside of California. Perhaps a place in Las Vegas that I would rent out for supplemental income. I wouldn't buy a fleet of cars, because of how fast the value of cars drop. The best case scenario would to buy one daily, one for the gf/wife, a weekender, and a 64-drop rag-top Impala just because that has always been my dream since Boyz N The Hood.

I would then go back and get a doctorate in something entertaining and prestigious sounding. Perhaps in Industrial Psychology so I can tell people I counsel the human psyche in times of major need and feel important lol.

Philanthropy would be my full-time job and I would donate to causes that I already do contribute.

Other than that...I haven't given much thought to the idea of winning...

760Spursfan
03-24-2010, 04:03 PM
yes, most of them don't understand that its not unlimited and their family and friends come out the woodwork like vultures looking for fresh carrion.
:toast

£20m Lottery Winner Found In Concrete Grave

7:32pm UK, Saturday February 20, 2010
Alison Chung, Sky News Online
A lottery winner who repeatedly told his family "I'd have been better off broke" has been found buried five-feet deep under a concrete slab.

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2010/Feb/Week3/15554657.jpg Mr Shakespeare often wished he had never bought the winning ticket

American Abraham Shakespeare, 47, who scooped $31m (£20m) in 2006, vanished nine months ago, although he was not reported missing until November last year.
His friends and family had hoped he was on a beach in the Caribbean, but police found his remains in the woods of a private property near Plant City in Florida (http://indepth.news.sky.com/InDepth/topic/Florida).
Using heavy equipment, investigators broke up the large concrete slab and for two days they dug up dirt, much of it by hand, and sifted through it.
Mr Shakespeare's body was so badly decomposed that detectives had to use fingerprints to identify him.
The property where he was found belongs to the boyfriend of a woman named as Shar Krasniqi who befriended Mr Shakespeare in 2007, authorities said.

He really didn't understand it at all. It was moving so fast. It changed his life in a bad way.
Samuel Jones, a friend of Mr Shakepeare's

Police believe Mr Shakespeare was murdered, but they do not yet know how he died and have made no arrests.
Mr Shakespeare's brother, Robert Brown, said his sibling often wished he had never bought the winning ticket.
"'I'd have been better off broke.' He said that to me all the time," Mr Brown said.
Before his windfall, Mr Shakespeare was an assistant truck driver who lived with his mother. He was barely literate and had a criminal record.
After he struck lucky, he bought a million-dollar home and was said to be extremely generous to others.
"He really didn't understand it at all," said Samuel Jones, a friend since childhood.
"It was moving so fast. It changed his life in a bad way."
Mr Jones said Mr Shakespeare would tell him: "I thought all these people were my friends, but then I realised all they want is just money."

Bigzax
03-24-2010, 04:06 PM
money doesn't fix stupid.

baseline bum
03-24-2010, 04:29 PM
The best case scenario would to buy one daily, one for the gf/wife, a weekender, and a 64-drop rag-top Impala just because that has always been my dream since Boyz N The Hood.

Doughboy's ride was a rag-top Trey! (I always liked the 63 better than the 64 model :lol)

IronMexican
03-24-2010, 04:57 PM
64's are ugly when you compare them to 60-63. 61 was always my favorite.

baseline bum
03-24-2010, 05:11 PM
64's are ugly when you compare them to 60-63. 61 was always my favorite.

Yeah, the 61 is nice. I always thought that one was the 62 until I just looked it up. :lol

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6iDM59yCBk8/SZf4Yg25z_I/AAAAAAAAD4U/QodlkKbUFFk/s400/46_397_1961_CHEVROLET_IMPALA+SS+409_1.jpg

IronMexican
03-24-2010, 05:17 PM
Yeah, the 61 is nice. I always thought that one was the 62 until I just looked it up. :lol

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6iDM59yCBk8/SZf4Yg25z_I/AAAAAAAAD4U/QodlkKbUFFk/s400/46_397_1961_CHEVROLET_IMPALA+SS+409_1.jpg

My uncle had a 62. It was in great condition when he bought it(I wouldn't know, since I probably wasn't even born when he had it) and he got it for 1,000. He got deported and it got fucked up. He had to sell it for 65 hundred to keep up with the bills, though.

And 64's are a dime a dozen. The only other "classic" car you see more is a 65 mustang.

florige
03-24-2010, 05:59 PM
My uncle had a 62. It was in great condition when he bought it(I wouldn't know, since I probably wasn't even born when he had it) and he got it for 1,000. He got deported and it got fucked up. He had to sell it for 65 hundred to keep up with the bills, though.

And 64's are a dime a dozen. The only other "classic" car you see more is a 65 mustang.

Freakin weird I just watched that movie today from my collection for no apparent reason.

ploto
03-24-2010, 06:03 PM
If I won the lottery, I would never claim it publicly. I would be one of those anonymous claimers who did it through her attorney. Only the people close to me would know.

I would buy a house and a condo at South Padre, and my kid could go to college wherever he wanted for as long as he wanted.

It would probably be "best" to win like 2 million dollars. You would be comfortable and could do all the fun stuff, but it would not be so crazy.

J.T.
03-24-2010, 06:08 PM
What I really want to see is a full-on crack head win a huge jackpot and then go all Chappelle/Tyrone and buy a basketball rock

Trust me brah if I ever win the lotto I'm gonna fill every room of my house floor-to-ceiling with the finest chronic man can buy and keep the fridge stocked with gallon jugs of LSD. I'll also sign up to have a keg of Budweiser delivered to my door every Wednesday. And another delivered on Friday, in case I get thirsty on the weekend.

Bender
03-24-2010, 06:32 PM
She opted not to go in for her shift Sunday. Duh :lol

I always thought that if I ever won the lottery or something, I would like to go to work, just for a couple more days. Just being there knowing that if any of my bosses bitched to me about anything, I would be like... fuck off, I don't need this...

baseline bum
03-24-2010, 06:44 PM
I always thought that if I ever won the lottery or something, I would like to go to work, just for a couple more days. Just being there knowing that if any of my bosses bitched to me about anything, I would be like... fuck off, I don't need this...

:lol

Viva Las Espuelas
03-24-2010, 08:19 PM
I've seen that show. Lottery winning rednecks show off their new house, new boat, new RV and then bitch about how everyone they know is hounding them for money.i guess i saw a different one then. it was of winners that have really haven't "bettered" themselves after winning. they're either junkies, wanted by the law, or who is dead broke. pretty brutal. it's more than just winning money. like cheech says, having responsibility is a heavy responsibility. you having, and maintaining, money is a heavy responsibility. your head has to be on straight or somewhere down that road it's gonna get verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry bumpy. tyson, for example. yes, i know he didn't win the lottery, but in a way, he did.

mouse
03-25-2010, 12:52 AM
money doesn't fix stupid.

That's the 60.00 dollar question.
(inside joke you have to go to the TRoll forum to see the whole meltdown topic)

I have asked God to help me with the Texas lotto but him and I still can't seem to get all six numbers, :bang

God finally told me to just stick with the scratch offs for now.
Last year I lost my index finger nail scratching 10 tickets a day. I thought God was angry at me so I stop buying scratch off tickets.
Then a miracle took place and the nail grew back!! on that day I knew God wanted me to continue scratching those tickets! :smokin.

florige
03-25-2010, 10:39 AM
If I won the lottery, I would never claim it publicly. I would be one of those anonymous claimers who did it through her attorney. Only the people close to me would know.

I would buy a house and a condo at South Padre, and my kid could go to college wherever he wanted for as long as he wanted.

It would probably be "best" to win like 2 million dollars. You would be comfortable and could do all the fun stuff, but it would not be so crazy.

I thought if you won the HUGE jackpot you had to claim publicly?

angel_luv
03-25-2010, 10:45 AM

I would drastically change my lifestyle either. I am happy with my life the way things are.
It would be cool for Bo and I to open some sort of music school- something he has talked about wanting to do. Bo is gifted at playing and teaching people to play the guitar and I would be a good administrator.

I would definitely take an extended trip to Europe- maybe live there for a summer. I would want to stay in Slovenia, Paris, London, and Germany for sure. And visit Turkey for several days at least.

Leetonidas
03-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Fuck I wish I had 20 million bucks. I'd buy myself a nice 4 bedroom, two story house, a good car, pay off my moms house and give her a million bucks, and buy the fattest sack of the dankest dank I could find. I don't understand all this BS about lottery winners' lives are worse after they win. It's because they're fucking stupid, like bb said, buying yachts and planes and gold plated toilets or whatever...

Fuck that. I'm a simple man who enjoys simple pleasure. Good house, big yard, fuel efficient car, and my own underground grow operation. That's all I want.

bigzak25
03-25-2010, 11:03 AM
i don't know what the fuck i'd do.

i like the attorney idea because i'd want to keep it quiet too.

i don't need mouse taking a bus to find me and suck my dick all of a sudden, or joe asking if i can buy him a prosthetic toe...

i'd keep it quiet, pay all the bills, and keep living my life as is until i figure out what's what.

easjer
03-25-2010, 11:04 AM
People end up being very irresponsible with the money. It's not as much after taxes as it appears, and if you take the cash option, you only take 60% of the jackpot and pay taxes on that.

People get so excited about having money to spend they go through it like water, buying stuff they don't need. They frequently quit their jobs (I would) and don't pay much attention to the future.

We play the lottery for fun and have talked about exactly what we'd do. We'd quit our jobs and move home (into a bigger home on some land), but most of the money would be invested. Even in a secure low-interest return, you've got more than enough to live off without working just in interest, especially if you have no mortgage or car payment, etc. Take a million to play with, take a set amount for your family, for your charitable donations, and safely invest the rest.

And then find something to do with your time. A hobby, or a sport, or a volunteer job, or a part-time job, because when that boredom sets in, the money flows out again and happiness can't be bought. You have to have something to work on to keep your mind sharp and give purpose and shape to your life.

resistanze
03-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Does anyone else ever had the thought that sometime in your lifetime - if you had payed the lottery - you would've won?

I'd like to know the exact date that would've occurred so I could shoot myself.

bigzak25
03-25-2010, 11:10 AM
me and wifey played once and the 3 out of 6 she picked all hit.

i figured she was with the wrong man at that point, but whatcha gonna do...

Re-Animator
03-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Fuck I wish I had 20 million bucks. I'd buy myself a nice 4 bedroom, two story house, a good car, pay off my moms house and give her a million bucks, and buy the fattest sack of the dankest dank I could find. I don't understand all this BS about lottery winners' lives are worse after they win. It's because they're fucking stupid, like bb said, buying yachts and planes and gold plated toilets or whatever...

Fuck that. I'm a simple man who enjoys simple pleasure. Good house, big yard, fuel efficient car, and my own underground grow operation. That's all I want.

Maybe that kind of money will change you from being such an asshole with your weed.

Re-Animator
03-25-2010, 11:53 AM
me and wifey played once and the 3 out of 6 she picked all hit.

i figured she was with the wrong man at that point, but whatcha gonna do...

When your wife did the pick three you sure she wasn't counting your chins? :lmao

bigzak25
03-25-2010, 11:54 AM
When your wife did the pick three you sure she wasn't counting your chins? :lmao

yeah, 3 is a magical number...

isn't it also how many dollars you make an hour?

coyotes_geek
03-25-2010, 11:57 AM
i guess i saw a different one then. it was of winners that have really haven't "bettered" themselves after winning. they're either junkies, wanted by the law, or who is dead broke. pretty brutal. it's more than just winning money. like cheech says, having responsibility is a heavy responsibility. you having, and maintaining, money is a heavy responsibility. your head has to be on straight or somewhere down that road it's gonna get verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry bumpy. tyson, for example. yes, i know he didn't win the lottery, but in a way, he did.

Could be a different show or just a different episode. I only saw that one episode of whatever show it was that I watched. Even then, you could tell the people were burdened. Yeah, they were happy they won, but you could tell it had taken an emotional toll on them.

IronMexican
03-25-2010, 11:59 AM
Isn't 20 million kind of low? The two major lotteries in California are both over 50 million right now.

I'd probably just be by myself or something. People have said I'm anti-social, but I'm just a very quiet person. I don't like small talk.

Re-Animator
03-25-2010, 11:59 AM
yeah, 3 is a magical number...

isn't it also how many dollars you make an hour?

I only make 2.50 now, your sister deducts 50 cent an hour if I forget to pull out in time.

Kermit
03-25-2010, 12:04 PM
I only make 2.50 now, your sister deducts 50 cent an hour if I forget to pull out in time.

She should take birth control. And abortions are more than 50 cents. Even Mexico charges more than that.

Re-Animator
03-25-2010, 12:11 PM
She should take birth control.

Why when removing the paper bag from her head is so much faster and more effective?

And abortions are more than 50 cents. Even Mexico charges more than that.

I thought they charge by the pound? Giving her the abortion is not the problem,trying to find 4 willing labors on craigslist to hold her blistered meat curtains open while they perform the abortion is another story..