PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Sign Curtis Jerrells

spursdotcom
03-24-2010, 04:37 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_sign_curtis_jerrells_100324.html

:toast

LoneStarState'sPride
03-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Good stuff! Watched this kid when he was at Baylor. Hope he gets a little pt.

DesignatedT
03-24-2010, 04:38 PM
hmm. why

phxspurfan
03-24-2010, 04:43 PM
He did play on the SL team and in preseason right? I think it's a good signing, even if he doesn't play he can be with the team and learn in practice.

yavozerb
03-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Thats crazy!!I was just checking out the kids stats and then come here and he's signed..He's been a hot player lately, take a look:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/index.jsp?player=curtis_jerrells

AFBlue
03-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Any insight as to whether this is a 10-day contract or for the rest of the season?

yavozerb
03-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Cant imagine anything more than a 10 day contract..Will be interesting because unlike the other 2 players (temple and jackson) this kid is instant offense and only an average defender at best..

tothrowed
03-24-2010, 04:49 PM
curtis jerrels > temple real talk anyday

MaNu4Tres
03-24-2010, 04:53 PM
hmm. why

Cheap option for a roster spot next year. That's all it boils down to.

Mel_13
03-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Any insight as to whether this is a 10-day contract or for the rest of the season?

Looks like rest of season.

The initial press releases for Jackson and Temple specified 10-day contracts. The recent releases on Temple and Jerrells do not say 10-day.

More importantly, the press release says he has been signed by the Spurs and then assigned to the Toros.

Lots of Dleague players are getting end of season contracts lately. For a small price, the Spurs ensure that Jerrells will be under their control through the end of October.

Of course, I suppose that they could just be messing with exstatic's head.

ChumpDumper
03-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Yeah, after his performance in Gee's absence, it was sign him or watch someone else take him.

DesignatedT
03-24-2010, 04:56 PM
did temple get signed on for the rest of the season as well? or did we let him walk after the 10 day

spursdotcom
03-24-2010, 04:56 PM

The initial press releases for Jackson and Temple specified 10-day contracts. The recent releases on Temple and Jerrells do not say 10-day.

More importantly, the press release says he has been signed by the Spurs and then assigned to the Toros.

Lots of Dleague players are getting end of season contracts lately. For a small price, the Spurs ensure that Jerrells will be under their control through the end of October.

Great observation :toast

did temple get signed on for the rest of the season as well? or did we let him walk after the 10 day

Rest of the season
Q&A with Dell Demps on Signing of Temple: http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/100324_demps_temple.html

Mel_13
03-24-2010, 04:57 PM

Signed for rest of season.

yavozerb
03-24-2010, 04:58 PM
good call guys..Smart move by the spurs

Ryvin1
03-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Now it's more worth while to watch Toro's games knowing they have a couple prospects they actually like enough to sign to keep their rights.

Spurs Brazil
03-24-2010, 05:14 PM
I read at mysa that's for the rest of the season

I think some other team would offer him a contract so the Spurs had to sign him

8FOR!3
03-24-2010, 05:21 PM
20 points a game in Austin and 16 in college. Not bad at all, I don't know much about him, but it seems like he's a scorer. I don't know why we're aren't trying to go with the better defenders though. Maybe we're looking to give RMJ a run for his money.

Bruno
03-24-2010, 05:23 PM
I guess Jerrels signed a contract that is non-guaranteed for next year like Temple. Hairston has also that kind of contract.

Connect the dots:
- Temple was signed on March 23rd.
- Jerrels was signed on March 24th.
- Players can't be traded for 3 months.
- The NBA draft will happen on June 24th
- A lot of teams are looking to create a cap spaces.

On draft day, Spurs will have a package of Jerrels+Temple+Hairston that could absorb a salary of $2.16M with the other team taking back no salary. That's a nice trade asset for a draft day trade.

Bruno
03-24-2010, 05:25 PM
It seems that the limitation of 2 players being send down at the same time in D-League by a NBA team doesn't exist anymore. Spurs could decide to sign a 15th player and send him down to Austin with Temple and Jerrels.

yavozerb
I guess Jerrels signed a contract that is non-guaranteed for next year like Temple. Hairston has also that kind of contract.

Connect the dots:

On draft day, Spurs will have a package of Jerrels+Temple+Hairston that could absorb a salary of $2.16M with the other team taking back no salary. That's a nice trade asset for a draft day trade.

oh lord...If the spurs trade hairston this place would erupt..

xellos88330

Connect the dots:

Didn't think about that. Nice!

AFBlue
03-24-2010, 05:29 PM

Of course, I suppose that they could just be messing with exstatic's head.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I think this is a good preemptive move by the Spurs. He's a guy who has shown alot of promise as a playmaker and it can't hurt to have someone like him as a cheap, viable option for PG down the road.

AFBlue
03-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Yeah, after his performance in Gee's absence, it was sign him or watch someone else take him.

You seemed kind of down on him earlier in the season. Do you think he has improved his game recently during Gee's absence, or is he just a bigger part of the offense?

8FOR!3
03-24-2010, 05:31 PM
But I don't wanna ever trade Hairston. =(

TimmehC
03-24-2010, 05:46 PM
You seemed kind of down on him earlier in the season. Do you think he has improved his game recently during Gee's absence, or is he just a bigger part of the offense?

He's been relieved of distributing duties(read: PG duties), according to Ridiculous Upside (http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2010/3/24/1387742/marcus-williams-made-his-re-debut).

RiverwalkParade
03-24-2010, 06:26 PM

Connect the dots:

Who would fall in that salary range that we would be interested in? That is a very enticing package for teams shedding salary, great tidbit Bruno!

Obstructed_View
03-24-2010, 06:27 PM
oh lord...If the spurs trade hairston this place would erupt..

No, when he turns out to be a good player for the team he's traded to this place would erupt.