PDA

View Full Version : This loss hurts

Buddy Holly
03-24-2010, 11:35 PM
It just hurts. :(

From losing the lead to just getting school shopped by the Lakers D to Duncan hobbling around and getting his stuff blocked by Gasol to Mason being out there missing open shot after open shot.

It was more than an ugly game, it hurt.

HarlemHeat37
03-24-2010, 11:36 PM
Why?..

Why did so many people here expect to beat the Lakers?..

I hope people aren't disappointed because we had a first half lead..that's been the story all season..

I'm not talking about you in particular Buddy, but it seems like a lot of people expected a W here for some reason..

timtonymanu
03-24-2010, 11:37 PM
It shouldnt hurt because we've lost so many winnable games this year. If anything it just makes me more pissed off at this pathetic team.

Buddy Holly
03-24-2010, 11:37 PM
Why?..

I hope people aren't disappointed because we had a first half lead..that's been the story all season..

I'm not talking about you in particular Buddy, but it seems like a lot of people expected a W here for some reason..

Why go to the game? Why watch it on television? If we except them to lose, wtf is the point?

DesignatedT
03-24-2010, 11:38 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/34y3gcn.jpg

Buddy Holly

Pretty spot on.

baseline bum
Nah, losses hurt when they mean something. This season has been over for months.

mexicanjunior
03-24-2010, 11:39 PM
Where is the "silver lining...everything will be ok...it's only March...moral victories rule" guy? He is the only one that can try and soothe your pain...

Juanobili
03-24-2010, 11:39 PM
Some of you guys get more upset losing to CHAMPIONSHIP teams than sub .500 teams.

There's a chance it's going to happen...

The only concern I have is Tim Duncan.

I hope he gets it back soon.

timtonymanu
03-24-2010, 11:40 PM

Pop: He won't be back next year.

And I hope so.

murpjf88
03-24-2010, 11:40 PM

Get use to this picture.

mexicanjunior
03-24-2010, 11:41 PM
Nah, losses hurt when they mean something. This season has been over for months.

I just wish the team realized that so we could try and improve the team in the draft...this team will be stuck in neutral after a first round exit.

Juanobili
03-24-2010, 11:42 PM

lol they just showed this on Sportscenter

Trainwreck2100
03-24-2010, 11:42 PM
you have two choices:

a) stop being a pussy
b) pop in an nsync cassette, strap on some headphones and cry yourself to sleep

not nsync vanessa carlton

Johnny RIngo
03-24-2010, 11:43 PM
Why go to the game? Why watch it on television? If we except them to lose, wtf is the point?

It's called low expectations. Most of the sensible fans realized the season was done when the FO made no moves at the trade deadline. Holt, Buford, and Popovich, more or less, waved the white flag at that point.

Buddy Holly
03-24-2010, 11:43 PM
is this after Mason missing another 3 pointer? If so:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

It actually was. The worst part, Pop kept him in the game.

Buddy Holly
03-24-2010, 11:44 PM
It's called low expectations.

:rolleyes

VBM
03-24-2010, 11:46 PM
It's only March...we're just waiting until the end of the season to put it all together...

alchemist
03-24-2010, 11:47 PM
Never seen a gif capture the entire emotion of a complete season. :lol :depressed

mexicanjunior
It's only March...we're just waiting until the end of the season to put it all together...

I can't wait till it's only April...

Chico
You're absolutely right...

hombrefeo
03-24-2010, 11:48 PM
yeah this one sting...

Whisky Dog
03-24-2010, 11:48 PM
They flat ran out of gas as has happened all season. By mid 4th Manu was gassed and the Spurs were done. Also, TD has declined exponentially this season. He's now getting beaten to spots regularly. He's done unless he some how summons playoffs Duncan again.

Stringer_Bell
03-24-2010, 11:49 PM

It was a 5 minute scoring drought, remember? Mason just needed a breather in the timeout to re-focus on totally sucking ass.

peskypesky

rope-a-dope strategy! CIA Pop!

ace3g
why did the Spurs have to sign Bogans, that would have solved a lot of problems to begin with

timtonymanu
03-24-2010, 11:51 PM
why did the Spurs have to sign Bogans, that would have solved a lot of problems to begin with

The Bogans signing wasnt a big deal until his fluke game against Portland. Then Pop fell in love with his "defense" and made him a rotation player.

Manu-of-steel
03-24-2010, 11:51 PM

He's a shooter, says Pop. The problem is, he's not making them. :rolleyes

jag
03-24-2010, 11:57 PM
It's great to see them win, but this isn't a championship team. I'm not even sure what possible changes can be made in the offseason to make this a championship team, but it'll be interesting to see what direction the FO goes.

It made sense to say "it's only December," when it was only December. There was still a lot of potential there and the possibility of improvement and the team developing chemistry. So to the guy who keeps bringing that up - stop being a whiny bitch.

Russ
03-24-2010, 11:59 PM
I wouldn't read everything into one game. The Lakers hit 10 of 20 three-pointers. You can't beat that. And it won't happen often.

And, even with that rain of 3's, the Spurs still only gave up 92 points.

I get more discouraged after the Spurs play bad D (they haven't for some time) than when they lose because they only hit 37% without Laker-killer TP to take up the offensive slack.

But that's just me. Sometimes I feel like Mr. Peepers in a Glen Beck age.

mexicanjunior
03-25-2010, 12:05 AM
It made sense to say "it's only December," when it was only December. There was still a lot of potential there and the possibility of improvement and the team developing chemistry. So to the guy who keeps bringing that up - stop being a whiny bitch.

The problems they had in December are the same problems they have now...only difference is people feel like acknowledging it instead of pointing at the calendar to blow it off. The realists that saw this team for what it was back then were right all along...don't be a whiny bitch because you couldn't see passed your Spurs blinders at Christmas time.

alchemist
03-25-2010, 12:09 AM
The problems they had in December are the same problems they have now...only difference is people feel like acknowledging it instead of pointing at the calendar to blow it off. The realists that saw this team for what it was back then were right all along...don't be a whiny bitch because you couldn't see passed your Spurs blinders at Christmas time.
If you saw that Tony would have a broken hand, Manu would light it up and Timmy would break down then I want the god damn lotto numbers.

Ginobili2Duncan
03-25-2010, 12:17 AM
The Lakers length in the 2nd half obviously bothered the Spurs. That's been the story for 2 years now. If the 3's are falling Spurs win, if they don't the Lakers, like they have done for so many years will pack the paint. Phil Jackson does an excellent job at changing his defense on the fly and short circuiting the oppenent's offense.

ducks
03-25-2010, 12:20 AM
this week is going like expected shocked me somewhat spurs were ahead in the first half

should have beat hawks though that loss hurt

TJastal
03-25-2010, 12:20 AM
It's just 1 loss though, and sometimes the heartbreakers are the best kind of losses because it forces you to do some soul searching and we may see a different team come out from all this.

ducks
03-25-2010, 12:21 AM
I wouldn't read everything into one game. The Lakers hit 10 of 20 three-pointers. You can't beat that. And it won't happen often.

And, even with that rain of 3's, the Spurs still only gave up 92 points.

I get more discouraged after the Spurs play bad D (they haven't for some time) than when they lose because they only hit 37% without Laker-killer TP to take up the offensive slack.

But that's just me. Sometimes I feel like Mr. Peepers in a Glen Beck age.

no d in second half

Budkin
03-25-2010, 12:22 AM
Meh.

timtonymanu
03-25-2010, 12:24 AM
This game was never winnable.

Did I say it was winnable in my post? Learn how to comprehend before you troll.

VBM
03-25-2010, 12:25 AM
If you saw that Tony would have a broken hand, Manu would light it up and Timmy would break down then I want the god damn lotto numbers.

I think some people just saw that blowing winnable games early in the year would bite us in the ass later down the line. Wasn't really that hard to predict...

mexicanjunior
03-25-2010, 12:26 AM

That wasn't why they were losing games early in the season. It was poor defensive rebounding, unable to make timely stops, no show acts from guys like Bonner, Bogans, Jefferson, Mcdyess, Popovich using poor rotations and unwillingness to give guys like Hairston and Mahinmi a chance.

Just look at the threads back then, posters were complaining about the same stuff...only difference now is the Popologists aren't out in full force to blindly defend them anymore.

TJastal
03-25-2010, 12:28 AM

I wish I knew. Only thing I can come up with is Pop is loathe to give young players much a of a chance especially if they exhibit athleticsm and a penchant for dunking the basketball.

What's even worse was at the time of the signing all the Popalogists around here were chirping away at how great it was to have a "proven" nba player, (proven scrub more like) and writing off poor Malik as "not ready"

sabar
03-25-2010, 12:32 AM
Why?..

:lol

I mentioned to the people watching the game with me that'd the Spurs would melt-down in the 3rd quarter when halftime rolled around.

Give it to the Spurs, they have been VERY consistent in pathetic 2nd half performances against +.500 teams.

Unsurprisingly, my joke-prediction was correct. The lakers didn't even look like they were trying. :depressed

Chubby_Love
03-25-2010, 12:37 AM
This loss doesn't hurt because this season has been filled by one disappointment after another. I knew after the 3rd quater, they were going to lose. When you have Jefferson, Bogans, and Mason and Bonner on the floor! You're pretty much asking for a loss. :depressed

xellos88330
03-25-2010, 12:41 AM
Why?..

Isn't a fan always supposed to root for his team despite the odds?

Fan is short for Fanatic after all. A person who pays attention to the reality of certain situations is a realist... not a fan at all. They are more like the Laker "fans" that were at the ATT center tonight. Root for who is winning, not who matters to you personally. As long as you are with the 'in' team, you are cool. Nevermind about being an individual. Its all about image.

HarlemHeat37
03-25-2010, 12:48 AM
When did I say not to cheer for the Spurs?..

I'm asking why so many people are melting down and talking about how this loss hurts so much..the Spurs have had a lot worse losses than this one..it seems like a lot of people expected to win this game if you look at the game thread..

People are treating the Lakers like they're Minnesota..

Losing to the Cavs w/o Lebron, Blazers w/o Roy, Lakers w/o Kobe and Bynum, losing back to back to Detroit and Philly, choking against Atlanta, and much more..THOSE losses should hurt, I don't understand why this loss was so bad to so many Spurs fans..

Manudo Flopo
03-25-2010, 12:50 AM
Suck ass spurts just die already!!!

DJ Mbenga
03-25-2010, 12:52 AM
wasnt it expected? who can carry a team for a whole game hill or kobe? easy answer

Manudo Flopo
03-25-2010, 12:53 AM
And expect another loss on friday mo fos

xellos88330
03-25-2010, 01:00 AM
What hurts me Harlem is the fact that something is going on in the orginazation that I just don't understand. The Spurs had the Lakers where they wanted them and failed to take advantage. The score was close and the Lakers were in penalty early in the 4th. After that nothing but jump shots??? Pop should have told his guys to take it to the rack, but yet jumper after jumper? Something is clearly wrong with the mental state of the Spurs and tonight clearly showed it. That is what hurts. This is the potential matchup if the Spurs meet the Lakers in the playoffs and considering their position could very well be the case. That is why it hurts.

SenorSpur
03-25-2010, 01:13 AM
Why?..

...and if folks were expecting a Spurs win, I'd like to know why? As much as we've been hearing rumors about the Fakers struggles and injuries, they're STILL the overwhelming favorite in the West.

Kamala
03-25-2010, 01:23 AM
Suck ass spurts just die already!!!

Like Red Auerbach, Len Bias, Dennis Johnson, and Reggie Lewis or just figuratively?:wakeup

SenorSpur
03-25-2010, 01:24 AM
The Lakers length in the 2nd half obviously bothered the Spurs. That's been the story for 2 years now. If the 3's are falling Spurs win, if they don't the Lakers, like they have done for so many years will pack the paint. Phil Jackson does an excellent job at changing his defense on the fly and short circuiting the oppenent's offense.

Amen.

The Fakers are the defending NBA Champions. Even with Bynum out, the Fakers are still a very talented team, with great length. If you want to knock them off, you have to field a team that can match their length and athleticism.

It's been two years since that '08 WCF series, where Manu was injured. During that time, the roster has changed, but the right pieces weren't added. Some of the better pieces are stuck on the bench. Instead fielding a team to match the Fakers length, they sent Ratliff away, while Ian and Malik rot on the bench. Meanwhile, Duncan continues to be burdened with the herculian task of having to anchor both the rebounding and defense, at ends of the court - with little to no help and Manu is carrying the offensive load. At the same time, Pop continues to be firmly dedicated toward giving big minutes to inferior players, who cannot provide the game-to-game contributions needed to make this team more competitive.

I'll never understand why Pop continues to believe that "small-ball" is the way to go. No matter how badly the Spurs keep getting their asses waxed, he refuses to acquiesce to a different lineup change.

TD 21
03-25-2010, 01:55 AM
Amen.

The Fakers are the defending NBA Champions. Even with Bynum out, the Fakers are still a very talented team, with great length. If you want to knock them off, you have to field a team that can match their length and athleticism.

It's been two years since that '08 WCF series, where Manu was injured. During that time, the roster has changed, but the right pieces weren't added. Some of the better pieces are stuck on the bench. Instead fielding a team to match the Fakers length, they sent Ratliff away, while Ian and Malik rot on the bench. Meanwhile, Duncan continues to be burdened with the herculian task of having to anchor both the rebounding and defense, at ends of the court - with little to no help and Manu is carrying the offensive load. At the same time, Pop continues to be firmly dedicated toward giving big minutes to inferior players, who cannot provide the game-to-game contributions needed to make this team more competitive.

I'll never understand why Pop continues to believe that "small-ball" is the way to go. No matter how badly the Spurs keep getting their asses waxed, he refuses to acquiesce to a different lineup change.

I like McDyess, but he's had a shit season and he needs to go in the off season. When your top big is as immobile as Duncan is at this point in his career, you don't surround him with your second big being another immobile old guy with bad knees and add that to your un-athletic, slow third big and undersized fourth big.

What the fuck was the front office thinking when they put together this front line? I assume they thought McDyess would replicate what he did last season, but at his age, it's not shocking that he hasn't. What's worse, he clearly never wanted to leave the Pistons and his heart just doesn't appear to be that into it. Maybe he'll step it up once the playoffs start, but the McDyess I remember watching used to compete as hard as any player in the league and I don't see that from him anymore.

Not only does Splitter need to be brought in, but another acquisition needs to be made in the front court as well, because Bonner needs to go too. He can't make a fucking shot to save his life against good teams and looks terrified playing against them. This front court needs to be remade, not just one change.

Obstructed_View
03-25-2010, 02:05 AM
You guys suck. It's only late March. CIA Pop because, well, you know the rest.

SenorSpur
03-25-2010, 02:09 AM
I like McDyess, but he's had a shit season and he needs to go in the off season. When your top big is as immobile as Duncan is at this point in his career, you don't surround him with your second big being another immobile old guy with bad knees and add that to your un-athletic, slow third big and undersized fourth big.

What the fuck was the front office thinking when they put together this front line? I assume they thought McDyess would replicate what he did last season, but at his age, it's not shocking that he hasn't. What's worse, he clearly never wanted to leave the Pistons and his heart just doesn't appear to be that into it. Maybe he'll step it up once the playoffs start, but the McDyess I remember watching used to compete as hard as any player in the league and I don't see that from him anymore.

Not only does Splitter need to be brought in, but another acquisition needs to be made in the front court as well, because Bonner needs to go too. He can't make a fucking shot to save his life against good teams and looks terrified playing against them. This front court needs to be remade, not just one change.
Agreed. It's clear that Bonner and Dice both need to go. Bonner's shrinking baby nuts against good teams, has been on display for a while now. He's all-world against the Clippers and Warriors, of the NBA. He just comes up small against the better teams. I often ask myself, "would another coach even have this guy on the roster, much less getting the loads of playing time that he gets?" Meanwhile, Dice just can't put up a fight anymore. Omce again, the Spurs took a gamble and overvalued the shelf-life of an veteran player, that is clearly at the end. They took a chance figuring that Dice may have had some juice left. Clearly, this isn't the case.

Spurs do need another frontcourt player, which is why the Tyrus Thomas acquisition would've been perfect. What would next year have looked like had the Spurs gotten that trade done? Imagine frontline of Duncan, Thomas, Blair, Spiltter and Ian? Those are instant upgrades and some big time help that would have re-energized Tim. To me, the Thomas trade was one the Spurs could NOT have afforded to miss out on. Yet, they did. Now, we're watching the sad results of Pop rolling with the inferior frontline that is in place now.

jjktkk
03-25-2010, 02:31 AM

Because if your a true fan, you always watch them, no matter how good or bad they are.

Capt Bringdown
03-25-2010, 03:03 AM
Our record against the Lakers in the Tim/Pop era must not be pretty. We're talking major ownage here, whether or not Spursfans care to admit it.

Par for the script that we lose against them, and typically it's a ruthless Kobe 4th quarter that is the clincher. Yeah, it hurts.

duncan228
03-25-2010, 03:18 AM
Our record against the Lakers in the Tim/Pop era must not be pretty. We're talking major ownage here, whether or not Spursfans care to admit it.

Regular season from '97-'98 through tonight.

Spurs 24, Lakers 23.

Playoffs.

Spurs 12, Lakers 18.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-25-2010, 03:22 AM

That's what I reckon. In my mind we became irrelevant (as far as rings are concerned) 2 months ago, so now losing doesn't hurt.

What does hurt is that the FO didn't move at the deadline ot find us some young talent to audition for next year.

Oh, and that gif is priceless! Totally spot on.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-25-2010, 03:26 AM
Agreed. It's clear that Bonner and Dice both need to go. Bonner's shrinking baby nuts against good teams, has been on display for a while now. He's all-world against the Clippers and Warriors, of the NBA. He just comes up small against the better teams. I often ask myself, "would another coach even have this guy on the roster, much less getting the loads of playing time that he gets?" Meanwhile, Dice just can't put up a fight anymore. Omce again, the Spurs took a gamble and overvalued the shelf-life of an veteran player, that is clearly at the end. They took a chance figuring that Dice may have had some juice left. Clearly, this isn't the case.

Spurs do need another frontcourt player, which is why the Tyrus Thomas acquisition would've been perfect. What would next year have looked like had the Spurs gotten that trade done? Imagine frontline of Duncan, Thomas, Blair, Spiltter and Ian? Those are instant upgrades and some big time help that would have re-energized Tim. To me, the Thomas trade was one the Spurs could NOT have afforded to miss out on. Yet, they did. Now, we're watching the sad results of Pop rolling with the inferior frontline that is in place now.

You've been reading my mind (and posts!) again! :lol

We could have had Thomas FOR NOTHING, that's what makes it even more frustrating. :pctoss

Hell, 3 months ago I put up a thread (or mentioned in a trade thread - can't remember which) a trade of Bonner/Mason/Finley (or something, 3 expirings anyway) for Thomas and Salmons. It worked in the trade machine and it made sense to me. Remarkable we didn't get it done.

timtonymanu
03-25-2010, 03:47 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with this. No offense to McDyess. He was a hard worker in the past but why did the front office make it a priority for him to come here? Yea he had a great season last season but he would be coming into the season one year older. Tim Duncan needed someone young next to him not someone just as slow as him. That's why I wanted Gortat.

I like Dice but I really don't mind seeing him gone next year. He's been too lazy and the 2nd half Dice isn't even impressing me.

rascal
03-25-2010, 04:32 AM
Why?..

Lots of homers here. This is why i am already looking toward next year because the Spurs are not getting past the lakers this year with the team they have now.

Its better to get the best draft pick that they can, so losses now are better for the teams future . It works to the spurs advantage to get that high draft pick FOR NEXT YEAR.

rascal
03-25-2010, 04:35 AM

We could have had Thomas FOR NOTHING, that's what makes it even more frustrating. :pctoss

Hell, 3 months ago I put up a thread (or mentioned in a trade thread - can't remember which) a trade of Bonner/Mason/Finley (or something, 3 expirings anyway) for Thomas and Salmons. It worked in the trade machine and it made sense to me. Remarkable we didn't get it done.

No doubt the spurs front ofice failed at the trade deadline. That was the time to get the spurs back on track with a good trade to improve the frontline. This seasons chances were lost when they did nothing.

rascal
03-25-2010, 04:37 AM
Regular season from '97-'98 through tonight.

Spurs 24, Lakers 23.

Playoffs.

Spurs 12, Lakers 18.

What is it since the gasol trade?

KenziE
03-25-2010, 05:05 AM
id take another beer pls ... im immune to the losing this season .. just another day at the office

Chillen
03-25-2010, 06:35 AM
This game showed me that the Lakers can perhaps be beatable this year, they played some great D at the end to close the game out and win, but the Spurs kept missing 3's, 2's and had a legit shot to win the whole game. Lakers did what a contending team should, close out the game but the Spurs were in it the whole way despite what the final score says. Missed shots beat them...and the Lakers D, the 2 blocks by Gasol and Artest's steals won the game for LA. Missing Bynum affected their defense immensely, players had to step up in his absence.

easy7
03-25-2010, 07:02 AM
Fuck the Lakers, as long as we have the Shitterpiece we can crap on any game and it will be OK. I mean I never seen a mofo who can give 3 straight 3 pointers to a scrub and still be in the game. :hat

timtonymanu
03-25-2010, 07:07 AM
Well don't even be saying shit even closely remote to winnable.

I can say whatever the fuck i wanna say, bitch. Just because you have no life doesnt mean you can control mine. Last thing I need is a loser like you who counts on the success of a sports team to live a happy life, to tell me what to do. What are you gonna say now? That I'm a Butthurt Spurs fan.

timtonymanu
03-25-2010, 08:10 AM
:blah

great comeback. I really got owned there.

jjktkk
03-25-2010, 10:46 AM

Unfortunately NBA GMs don't use the "trade machine" when they make trades.

nkdlunch
03-25-2010, 10:48 AM
It just hurts. :(

From losing the lead to just getting school shopped by the Lakers D to Duncan hobbling around and getting his stuff blocked by Gasol to Mason being out there missing open shot after open shot.

It was more than an ugly game, it hurt.

well you need to wake up to reality. Spurs are no better than 8th best team in the West. Until spursfan wakes up to this reality, he will feel pain.

SenorSpur
03-25-2010, 11:17 AM

Dude, you're preaching to the choir. :toast

I don't remember the thread you posted (although I'm sure I posted to it), but you must've been looking over my shoulder when I entered the EXACT same trade scenario in the Trade Machine. :lol

You damn right it would've worked. Those two players (Salmons and Thomas) are solid contributors on their current teams. Salmons is even being credited for sparking the 15-2 run that the Bucks are now on. Thomas has been instant energy, defense and shotblocking for the Bobcats, off the bench. Something the Spurs have so very little of. How much could the Spurs have used his skills against the Hawks the other night? A night when Al Horford and Josh Smith were literally jumping over the backs of both Duncan and Bonner for offensive rebounds and putbacks.

Outside of the Big Three, Hill and Blair, the Spurs do not have enough consistent contributors to keep up with the upper-echelon teams. The Spurs NEEDED to do this deal simply to upgrade the talent level on a poorly-constructed roster. Doing this deal, would've not only upgraded the talent level, but it would've allowed the Spurs to jettison some of the dead weight on the roster and somewhat reload on the fly.

I can't let this go because it absolutely made no sense NOT to get it done. If Pop and the Spurs brass REALLY wanted to give themselves a better shot to succeed in the playoffs, they HAD to get this deal done. By now and if they're honest with themselves, the FO and coaching staff should know they're not going very far with the roster, as currently constructed.

antgomez2009
03-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Why?..

We expected a win because thats what every fan of a team should do!
If you dont then why root for a team!

the Spurs had this game, they adjusted to G hill, he had 20 in the first half 1 in the second half, that cannot happen against the lakers! Tim had a horrible game, one of the worst that i can remmember, even worse then the orlando game last week! People can say he is washed up or however you down a player like tim duncan, but he is still better than 75% of this league, and that means alot considering how old he is and how many games he has played for a big man! Mason missed open shot after open shot like he was scared to make the basket or something!!!!! It started going down hill when Manu went out for a 2 minute breather, that broke down everything!!!!! It semed as if Jefferson was never on the floor, and 35% shooting aint going to get you a win against any team bottom line!!!

Im actually suprised the game was that close, the Lakers messed up more then usual and the Spurs had opportunities, but couldnt convert (mason missing threes, G hill 1 pt in second half, Tim virtually unseen in this game) the good thing is, its assuring to know, that when parker does come back, it will def. help them score some points when the game gets tight!

All in all, it hurts to see them lose, because had they stayed with the same intensity and played good basketball they would of came out with a W. 37.5% FG shooting and 29.6% from the arc is not going to cut it! so if you know basketball like i know basketball, they actually had a chance had they kept up the intensity and focus!!!!!!

Horrible Horrible shooting by the Spurs yesterday night!!!!!!!!!!!!

murpjf88
03-25-2010, 01:33 PM
All losses hurt. This shouldn't be any different.

TD 21
03-25-2010, 07:40 PM

Thomas would have been ideal. Athletic PF who can guard mobile four's, block shots and hit the mid range jumper (though he needs to improve at this). He'd have fit perfectly in a front court with Duncan, Blair and hopefully Splitter, but I guess it made too much sense.

As for the obsession with having a big with three point range, they could pick up someone like Novak on the cheap to fill that role or sign a D-Leaguer like Kurz.

When you have a potentially dominant front court, that aspect doesn't matter as much. Look at the Lakers, Odom is the only one of the three who can shoot the three and he's erratic.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. No offense to McDyess. He was a hard worker in the past but why did the front office make it a priority for him to come here? Yea he had a great season last season but he would be coming into the season one year older. Tim Duncan needed someone young next to him not someone just as slow as him. That's why I wanted Gortat.

I like Dice but I really don't mind seeing him gone next year. He's been too lazy and the 2nd half Dice isn't even impressing me.

Someone young and someone big next to him, is what Duncan needs. McDyess was the best UFA big and I felt he'd fit in as a Spur, but I knew then he alone wasn't going to be the answer. If he were the third big, behind someone long, mobile, athletic and young, then he'd probably be a better fit.

Individually, this isn't that bad of a front court. The problem is as a whole, they're too deficient in too many areas to be championship caliber.

Chomag
03-25-2010, 08:11 PM
Meh, most likely Thomas would not be getting any minutes anyway from Pop right now. However I agree if Spurs did get him and he wasn't given the Pop's vet corporate knowledge (ie gooden last season) treatment he would be helping the Spurs out immensely right now.

Johnny RIngo
03-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Dude, you're preaching to the choir. :toast

I don't remember the thread you posted (although I'm sure I posted to it), but you must've been looking over my shoulder when I entered the EXACT same trade scenario in the Trade Machine. :lol

You damn right it would've worked. Those two players (Salmons and Thomas) are solid contributors on their current teams. Salmons is even being credited for sparking the 15-2 run that the Bucks are now on. Thomas has been instant energy, defense and shotblocking for the Bobcats, off the bench. Something the Spurs have so very little of. How much could the Spurs have used his skills against the Hawks the other night? A night when Al Horford and Josh Smith were literally jumping over the backs of both Duncan and Bonner for offensive rebounds and putbacks.

Outside of the Big Three, Hill and Blair, the Spurs do not have enough consistent contributors to keep up with the upper-echelon teams. The Spurs NEEDED to do this deal simply to upgrade the talent level on a poorly-constructed roster. Doing this deal, would've not only upgraded the talent level, but it would've allowed the Spurs to jettison some of the dead weight on the roster and somewhat reload on the fly.

I can't let this go because it absolutely made no sense NOT to get it done. If Pop and the Spurs brass REALLY wanted to give themselves a better shot to succeed in the playoffs, they HAD to get this deal done. By now and if they're honest with themselves, the FO and coaching staff should know they're not going very far with the roster, as currently constructed.

IMO, Holt probably came down hard on the front office after seeing how badly Buford/Pop mismanaged the team when they squandered his money on garbage players like RJ/Dice. That's the ONLY explanation I can think of for not making any moves before the trade deadline.

And yes, I wanted Thomas/Salmons too.