PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Cavs Previews

duncan228
03-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Cleveland (57-15) at San Antonio (42-28) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2010032624&prov=ap)
Game info: 8:30 pm EDT Fri Mar 26, 2010
TV: FSOH, FSSW
By Brett Huston

The Cleveland Cavaliers survived a meeting with the San Antonio Spurs earlier this month even with LeBron James watching in street clothes.

They’ll have the reigning MVP available for the rematch - along with a recent history of success in San Antonio.

The Cavaliers have won eight in a row heading into Friday night’s meeting with the Spurs at the AT&T Center, where they’ll try to earn a fourth straight victory.

James sat out two games in early March to rest a sprained right ankle, and while Cleveland (57-15) lost at Milwaukee without him March 6, it bounced back two days later at home against San Antonio.

The Cavaliers also lost Antawn Jamison to a stiff knee early in the third quarter and trailed by six in the fourth, but they rallied to win 97-95 despite Manu Ginobili leading the Spurs with a season high-tying 38 points.

James twisted his left ankle in the first half Wednesday at New Orleans, but this injury hardly seemed to slow him down. The NBA’s scoring leader finished with 38 points and nine assists in a 105-92 win.

“I take what the defense gives me,” James said. “If they take away my scoring I find my teammates and vice-versa. I do whatever it takes for our team to win.”

The Spurs (42-28) can’t be too thrilled to see Cleveland with a healthy James. They’ve lost seven of eight in the regular-season series, and the Cavaliers are looking to join Boston as the only teams to win four straight at San Antonio since 2000.

Though Shaquille O’Neal (thumb) remains out, Jamison is healthy and Cleveland now has another big body in the middle to throw at Tim Duncan. Zydrunas Ilgauskas, traded to Washington in the Jamison deal last month before being bought out of his contract, played his first game since re-signing with the Cavaliers on Wednesday.

In his first action in six weeks, Ilgauskas had one point in 17 minutes.

“Z knows the system, but I think he’ll even tell that he probably felt a little out of place,” James told the NBA’s official Web site. “But being out for a month is a long time even when you know the guys and know the system.”

This will be the fourth in a brutal five-game stretch for the Spurs that concludes Sunday in Boston. San Antonio followed an overtime loss at Atlanta on Sunday with a win the next night in Oklahoma City, but scored 35 second-half points in a 92-83 home defeat to the Los Angeles Lakers on Wednesday.

“You always want to beat the best teams, but at this point in the season, I just want to beat the team in front of me,” said Ginobili, who had a team-high 24 points and is averaging 23.2 since Tony Parker broke his hand March 6. “If it’s the worst or the best, we just need to win.”

Fighting for position in the crowded Western Conference playoff race, the Spurs need more from Duncan, who had six points on 2-of-12 shooting against the Lakers. Duncan has been held to 9.5 points per game in his last two against the Cavaliers.

James has averaged 30.7 points in the last three wins in San Antonio. He had 30 points and 14 rebounds in a 97-86 victory there Feb. 27, 2009, a game Duncan and Ginobili both missed.

Team Stat Leaders

Tim Duncan SA 18.2

Rebounds
Antawn Jamison Cle 8.6
Tim Duncan SA 10.3

Assists
LeBron James Cle 8.5
Tony Parker SA 5.7

DesignatedT
03-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Not looking forward to Lebron... he wont be as generous as Kobe.... expect at least 10 dunks by the king tomorrow.

going to need a monster effort to get this done.

nkdlunch
03-25-2010, 12:38 PM
going to need a monster effort to get this done.

get what done? not lose by more than 40pts?

DesignatedT
03-25-2010, 12:41 PM
get what done? not lose by more than 40pts?

ill take that bet.

benefactor
03-25-2010, 12:48 PM
I'm driving 5 hours. Please try not to embarrass yourselves.

HarlemHeat37
03-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Lebron better be ready for The Centerpiece experience!!!..

boutons_deux
03-25-2010, 12:51 PM
I don't mind LeBron being LeBron.

I do mind Tim being Done.

Shastafarian
03-25-2010, 01:12 PM

If I was LeBron I would greatly enjoy that experience. Career night coming.

ffadicted
03-25-2010, 01:26 PM
I look forward to seeing Jefferson and Bogans guarding lebron tomorrow about as much as I look forward to getting acupuncture in my pupils

Blackjack
03-25-2010, 01:26 PM

You can't set the table without the Centerpiece; time to go to work, LeBron. :hungry:

MaNu4Tres
03-25-2010, 01:28 PM
I look forward to seeing Mason getting another opportunity.

After all, the shooting percentages are on his side....

:jack

Shastafarian
03-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Over/Under on Hairston's minutes?

Keep in mind Centerpiece + Mason + Bonner last night = 63 minutes and 2-15 from 3.

Will pop continue the mantra, "gotta spread the floor" in favor of actual good play? STAY TUNED!!!

Blackjack
03-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Malik's minutes? Under (the table of the Centerpiece).

Bogans is a bulldog and Mason's zoning in on the rim; the next logical progression would be him finding the hole.

in2deep
03-25-2010, 02:24 PM
looking forward to seeing Mason at PF

Muser
03-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Not gonna be pretty.

TD 21
03-25-2010, 06:39 PM
I'm driving 5 hours. Please try not to embarrass yourselves.

It's against an elite team, with limited rest (considering the grueling stretch this entire month has been), so basically there's almost no chance that they don't embarrass themselves. The one sliver of hope? At least it's not on national TV.

As optimistic as I was about beating the Lakers, I'm even more so resigned to this game being a loss and probably a convincing one at that. If you thought Bryant or Durant made it look easy against the Spurs, then just think that James will do, that is, if he has to exert himself for more than a few brief moments.

It's time for McDyess, Blair and Mason to step up. Duncan is clearly worn out from carrying the team for half a season, Jefferson had briefly before his knee injury, Bonner is doing what he always does: shooting well against mediocre or worse teams; shooting terrible against solid or better teams, Bogans is a limited fringe player and Ginobili and Hill are playing about as well as can be expected. It's those three, of the rotation players, that need to step up because they're all capable of more and during this grueling stretch the team needs a few, at least quality performances from these three, where they allow other guys to rest and not have to carry as heavy a load as they have been.

Chomag
03-25-2010, 07:59 PM
We have the Centerpiece! Lebron doesn't scare me.

Killakobe81
03-25-2010, 10:13 PM
20 and 10 for duncan
25 5 and 5 for Manu not sure if it will be enough but spurs will not get blown out

FeZZy
03-25-2010, 11:22 PM
35+ for manu

duncan228
03-25-2010, 11:22 PM
Cavs at San Antonio (http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/03/delonte_west_is_smiling_and_th.html)
By Brian Windhorst, The Plain Dealer

Notable: The Spurs (42-28) are without guard Tony Parker (hand). . . . The Cavs (57-15) have won the past three meetings overall and the past three games in San Antonio. . . . This is the Cavs' final Western Conference road game. They are 9-5 thus far. . . . With one more victory, the Cavs will tie their franchise record for road wins (27), which they set last season. They are 26-11 away.

Dribbles: James' left ankle was still bothering him a bit Thursday. He turned it Wednesday night but he practiced and will play Friday. . . . The Cavs had a face off with the Lakers late Wednesday, well sort of. Both teams were staying at the same San Antonio hotel. The Lakers stayed in town after beating the Spurs and the Cavs flew in from New Orleans after their win. The Lakers' game started an hour an a half later so both teams arrived at the hotel about the same time.

Delonte West is smiling, and that's a good sign for the Cavaliers (http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/03/delonte_west_is_smiling_and_th.html)

SAN ANTONIO, Texas -- As a collection of assistant coaches and some players ran up and down the floor during a pickup game following Cavaliers practice at Trinity University Thursday, Delonte West relaxed under a basket.

He was charging his cell phone and texting, bouncing his head to music in his headphones while yelling and joking with players in the mildly intense game with heavy trash talking. There was a smile on West's face as he watched the play.

Back in October, it was hard to predict such a scene. Back in October, it was hard to predict the production that West is now giving the team. It was hard to predict just where he'd be at this point.

The Cavs, who look to continue their eight-game winning streak when they close their trip against the San Antonio Spurs tonight, have enjoyed plenty of successes during this season. But perhaps a major, if overlooked, accomplishment is the team effort that has helped West become more balanced emotionally. That includes work West has done himself.

Over the past 10 games, West has averaged 14 points, 3.3 rebounds and 3.5 assists while shooting 51 percent in 28 minutes a game. Since returning from a finger injury last month, West has played his best basketball and been a prime reason the Cavs have won 14 of their past 15 games.

The team has constantly protected West, who has declined all interviews since media day in September. There is little or no talk of his ongoing battle with a mood disorder, which West has said is bi-polar disorder. There is no mention of West's pending court case in Maryland on gun charges. Just a quiet but diligent following of a process that West's teammates, West's doctors and West himself follow on a daily basis.

"It humbles him, it has humbled everyone," LeBron James said. "You are always entitled to a second chance and he's gotten that and he's taken advantage of it."

West still has rough days and there almost certainly with be more to come. But getting West mostly stabilized and playing well again has so far been a remarkable accomplishment by a wide range of team officials and doctors.

That includes the management done by general manager Danny Ferry, head coach Mike Brown and his assistant coaches, athletic trainer Max Benton, director of team security Marvin Cross and several other doctors and therapists who have worked with West privately on an intense level.

"He's got a nice support staff around him," Brown said. "Including some other people behind the scenes. There's a lot of support there for him and there will continue to be. He's a part of our family and we take a lot of pride in trying to take care of everybody."

West left the team three times during training camp, twice with permission, which pretty much wiped out his preseason. Several times early in the season he was put on the inactive list in what the team called "part of his treatment process." Then he had the finger injury, which knocked him out for three weeks.

Now, however, West seems to be back to the level he was playing at last season when he had a career year as the starter at shooting guard. That includes 15 points he scored off the bench in the Cavs" 105-92 win Wednesday night in New Orleans.

"Right now he's comfortable with being Delonte," James said. "He's going out there and playing the way he played last year when he started for us."

ducks
03-25-2010, 11:32 PM
bogans should punch james in the nuts

tim_duncan_fan
03-25-2010, 11:42 PM
There will be a sign tomorrow. If Duncan doesn't come back strong tomorrow, we can declare him dead and look forward to get him a young stud teammate out of the lottery. If he shows that he's still Tim Duncan, we can look to try and make the playoffs. Either way, what we should do is tank and draft Demarcus Cousins or some other young big.

timtonymanu
03-26-2010, 12:17 AM
tomorrow we will be the 8th seed. Cause we're not winning this.

Manu will show up. Hill will be decent. RJ will suck. Dice will be slow. Mason will shoot 1-10. Bogans will get owned by everyone. Bonner will get owned by Varejao. Hairston will stay on the bench unless there's a blowout.

Tim is the only question mark.

cornbread
03-26-2010, 12:35 AM
Here's a preview, we're going to get pzwned.

raspsa
03-26-2010, 12:38 AM
The thing with the Spurs, they's unpredictable and you never know which team will show up on any given night.. they just might decide to have a good game.

Xevious
03-26-2010, 03:58 AM
tomorrow we will be the 8th seed.
Exactly.

But I'll be at the game, so at least I'll enjoy seeing it happen. What I won't enjoy is seeing all the bandwagon Lebron fans. Hopefully it isn't as bad as the Laker game.

Manu-of-steel
03-26-2010, 10:22 AM
I still believe we have a chance against the cavs. Inspite of all stats going against the spurs, I'm still hoping we could topple the mighty cavs.

Manu-of-steel
03-26-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm glad i would be able to watch this live on tv. It will be shown here in the philippines via a local channel. Spurs, if you're gonna lose, please go down fighting! Please!

Typical London Boy
03-26-2010, 10:32 AM
I know it's poor form to bet against your own team, but Cavs @ 10/11 is really tempting.

I just wouldn't want to watch the match wanting the Spurs to lose.

HarlemHeat37
03-26-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm definitely taking that bet..

I don't think it's "poor form", I bet against the Spurs all the time..it makes it easier to watch games tbh..it depends how much you value your money..I usually don't bet more than 50$, so I think it's worth it..if the Spurs W, I get the satisfaction in seeing them get a W..if they lose, I make money..get something either way..it all depends on how much you value your dollar..

Phenomanul
03-26-2010, 10:39 AM
I'll be there cheering as loud as I can...

On a side note.... I'm still surprised at the fact that San Antonio doesn't employ the "synchronous sway" tactic to distract opposing free throw shooters... Look at the free-throw percentages for teams that play at Duke... they're percentage points lower than comparable averages for games played on other campuses...

When everyone uses those white foam/balloon 'sausages' in chaotic motion players have learned to block it out as back-ground noise... if however fans behind the backboard all moved side-to-side in sychronous fashion, then they'd be able to impact the game... the mind can't as easily block out that type of background, and it messes with the shooter's depth perception - ultimately affecting their free-throws....

shelshor
03-26-2010, 10:48 AM
Referee Assignments
Fri. Mar 26
Cleveland @ San Antonio: Mike Callahan; Mark Lindsay; Jason Phillips

21_Blessings
03-26-2010, 10:54 AM
:flag: :flag: :flag:

duncan228
03-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Cavs and Spurs clash in Alamo City (http://www.seattlepi.com/scorecard/nbanews.asp?articleID=178232)

The Cleveland Cavaliers are rolling at the right time and will pay a visit to the San Antonio Spurs tonight from the AT&T Center.

The playoff-bound Cavs, seeded No. 1 in the East, have ripped off eight straight wins and kept the wheels spinning with a 105-92 victory at New Orleans in the opener of a brief road trip. LeBron James scored 38 points on 15-of-22 shooting and added nine assists for Central Division-champion Cleveland, which is 14-1 in its last 15 games overall and unbeaten in its last four road tilts.

"They did a good job, they had a guy in front of me but I was able to get comfortable," James said. "I took some difficult shots and made them and got into a flow where I felt I could make any shot on the court."

J.J. Hickson posted 20 points and nine rebounds, while Delonte West chipped in 15 points in a winning cause. The Cavs, whose magic number to clinch the Eastern Conference is at four following Orlando's loss to the Hawks Wednesday, own a 26-11 mark away from Quicken Loans Arena this season.

San Antonio has alternated wins and losses over its last six games and kicked off a short homestand by suffering a 92-83 setback to the Los Angeles Lakers at the AT&T Center.

Manu Ginobili scored 24 points, George Hill added 21 and Tim Duncan contributed six points, six assists and 12 rebounds for the Spurs, who are seventh in the jumbled Western Conference playoff race, percentage points ahead of Portland and just a game behind Oklahoma City for the No. 6 spot.

"Not making our shots is one thing, but we also stopped during the second half and we didn't move the ball as well," said Ginobili, who entered the game averaging 20.7 ppg since the All-Star break. "We didn't penetrate and kick as much as we did during the first. It's true that we missed some open shots, but we didn't play good defense either."

Tim Duncan tallied 14 points and seven boards, and Roger Mason scored 13 points in a reserve role in defeat. San Antonio owns a 25-11 record as the host this season.

Cleveland edged San Antonio, 97-95, on March 8 this season at Quicken Loans Arena thanks to 17 points, eight rebounds and eight assists from Cavaliers guard Mo Williams. James did not play in that one due to rest. Cleveland has won three straight and seven of the last eight meetings with the Spurs.

The Cavs have won three straight after losing its last 16 trips to the Alamo City.

Libri
03-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Apparently, Bogans is going to have a lot of fun tonight. lol

This is what he had said earlier his month.

“He's one of the best players there are in this league, and I look forward to guarding the best players,” said Bogans, the Spurs' designated defensive stopper. “It's fun.”

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148320&highlight=bogans+lebron

easy7
03-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Apparently, Bogans is going to have a lot of fun tonight. lol

This is what he had said earlier his month.

He will have so much fun after they score 50+ on his ass, he will smile all the way to the bench after playing 30 mins. Centerpiece will become the shitterpiece tonight. :lmao

Killakobe81
03-26-2010, 02:07 PM
:flag: :flag: :flag:

won't matter we are not catching the Cavs for HCA unless Lebron gets hurt ...

I hope spurs win ...but doesnt matter either way ...most likely we are facing spurs or Portland in round one i think we can beat either team ...but i think Spurs can do some damage if they dont face us ...

I like Tim and Hill.
20 and 10 for duncan
20 5 and 5 Manu
20 5 and 5 for Hill in a close game ...

Also play Blair especially when the flopper is in the game for the Cavs!!!

spurs10
03-26-2010, 03:34 PM
We've got that horrible loss on Wednesday to motivate everyone. It's not impossible to "get it done"...just hope Tim blows up and gets some *%** help!

Tp9gospursgo
03-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Spurs can win this one even if Bron scores 50. We just gotta stop him from getting everyone else involved..id rathr him score 50 and get like 2 assists. Make him shoot rather than pass. We already know hes going to score what hurts us is him getting everyone else involved. Lets hope Pop and the guys can get a win tonight. GO SPURS!

Mixability
03-26-2010, 04:38 PM
the boys at least better make it look like they put an effort out there!

jimo2305
03-26-2010, 05:20 PM
spurs will win..

book it!

silverblk mystix
03-26-2010, 05:28 PM
get ready to see the SAME bandwagon quasi-lakers fans wearing lakers jerseys...

to be wearing cavs jerseys this time---on the cavs bandwagon...

spurs keep pounding the rock---this season more than any other is a test of this philosophy...

just keep chipping away....

duncan228
03-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Cleveland Cavaliers at San Antonio Spurs (http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/03/cleveland_cavaliers_at_san_ant.html)

SAN ANTONIO -- Pre-game from the AT&T Center:

Starting lineups

Cavs: Mo Williams, Anthony Parker, LeBron James, Antawn Jamison, JJ Hickson

Spurs: George Hill, Manu Ginobili, Richard Jefferson, Tim Duncan, Antonio McDyess

Officials

Mike Callahan, Jason Phillips, Mark Lindsay

* Tony Parker is out for the Spurs. But San Antonio has been getting excellent production from George Hill lately. The Cavs are healthy except for Shaquille O'Neal and Sebastian Telfair, who is still listed on the injury report even though he's pretty much back to full speed as far as I can tell.

* This is a murderous week for the Spurs, they won a close one for the Thunder on Monday, melted down the stretch against the Lakers Wednesday and are playing in Boston on Sunday. Manu is continuing to play great, which is what he showed a couple of weeks ago in Cleveland when the Cavs started this current winning streak by barely surviving his 38-point night without LeBron. He's a tough cover but the Cavs biggest issue is to keep him from getting inside. He shot the 3-pointer very well in Cleveland but you'll live with that. He's really a problem when he's breaking guys down and getting inside.

* Tim Duncan did not play well at all against the Lakers, scoring just six points. Look for him to come out on the attack in this one. Last time around Hickson did a fair job on him but this time the Cavs will have more ammo. Zydrunas Ilgauskas is a better matchup because his length can bother Duncan in the most more than Hickson.

TD 21
03-26-2010, 07:01 PM
The Spurs better play through Duncan early. Ginobili and to a lesser extent, Hill, can get going offensively at virtually anytime. The big thing is to feed Duncan early and get him off and not just because of his recent struggles, but because 6-8 undersized PF Hickson continues to start at C for the Cavs. Off the bench, the length of Varejao and Ilgauskas will be a tougher challenge, but while Hickson is on Duncan, the Spurs needs to punish the Cavs down low. Duncan needs to establish deep post position and go to work, not settle for being pushed outside the paint and trying to basically out lengthen Hickson with difficult one handed runners, fallaway's, flippers, etc.