PDA

View Full Version : Shhhhhhh. Don't tell anyone, we won't.

jack sommerset
03-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Teen Gets Abortion With Help of Her Seattle High School
The 15-Year-Old Was Reportedly Taken During School Hours in a Taxi to get an Abortion

A Seattle mother is irate after she said her 15-year-old daughter's school arranged an abortion for her daughter without her knowledge.

Mom says school helped assist in her daughter's abortion during school hours.The mother, whose name has been withheld at her request to protect her privacy, told ABC News' Seattle affiliate KOMO-TV that the clinic gave her daughter a pass and helped her get a taxi that took her to a facility where she underwent an abortion.

The mother did not immediately return messages left by ABCNews.com. It was not immediately clear how far along in the pregnancy the teen was at the time of the abortion.

The mother said that she had signed a consent form that permitted her daughter to go to the teen health center on the campus of Ballard High School for what she believed were ailments like earaches, or for routine physicals, but not for an abortion.

"She took a pregnancy test at school at the teen health center," the mother told KOMO. "Nowhere in the paperwork does it mention abortion or facilitating abortion."

The form also allowed her daughter to receive birth control from the school's health clinic, the mother said.

But even so, the mother is furious that her daughter, who is on the school's honor roll, was given an abortion without the school notifying her parents.

"We had no idea this was being facilitated on campus," said the mother. "They just told her that if she concealed it from her family, that it would be free of charge and no financial responsibility."

A spokeswoman for the Seattle School District, which includes Ballard High School, declined to comment and referred all questions to the King County Health Department, the administrator of school-based health programs.

George Gervin's Afro
03-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Teen Gets Abortion With Help of Her Seattle High School
The 15-Year-Old Was Reportedly Taken During School Hours in a Taxi to get an Abortion

A Seattle mother is irate after she said her 15-year-old daughter's school arranged an abortion for her daughter without her knowledge.

Mom says school helped assist in her daughter's abortion during school hours.The mother, whose name has been withheld at her request to protect her privacy, told ABC News' Seattle affiliate KOMO-TV that the clinic gave her daughter a pass and helped her get a taxi that took her to a facility where she underwent an abortion.

The mother did not immediately return messages left by ABCNews.com. It was not immediately clear how far along in the pregnancy the teen was at the time of the abortion.

The mother said that she had signed a consent form that permitted her daughter to go to the teen health center on the campus of Ballard High School for what she believed were ailments like earaches, or for routine physicals, but not for an abortion.

"She took a pregnancy test at school at the teen health center," the mother told KOMO. "Nowhere in the paperwork does it mention abortion or facilitating abortion."

The form also allowed her daughter to receive birth control from the school's health clinic, the mother said.

But even so, the mother is furious that her daughter, who is on the school's honor roll, was given an abortion without the school notifying her parents.

"We had no idea this was being facilitated on campus," said the mother. "They just told her that if she concealed it from her family, that it would be free of charge and no financial responsibility."

A spokeswoman for the Seattle School District, which includes Ballard High School, declined to comment and referred all questions to the King County Health Department, the administrator of school-based health programs.

who cares. are you affected by this jackie? do you want a free abortion?

coyotes_geek
03-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Ugh. Even as a pro-choicer, this story is damn disturbing.

jack sommerset
03-25-2010, 03:21 PM

You are piece of fecal matter. She is 15 and her parents should have been notified.

Yonivore
03-25-2010, 03:22 PM
I don't want the government parenting my children. We should all be disturbed by this.

Oh, Gee!!
03-25-2010, 03:23 PM
I don't want the government parenting my children.

don't move to seattle.

George Gervin's Afro
03-25-2010, 03:25 PM
You are piece of fecal matter. She is 15 and her parents should have been notified.

so what was is the point of the thread jackie..

George Gervin's Afro
03-25-2010, 03:26 PM
I don't want the government parenting my children. We should all be disturbed by this.

this was a school nurse..not the govt yoni

Yonivore
03-25-2010, 03:28 PM
this was a school nurse..not the govt yoni

School = Government

Yonivore
03-25-2010, 03:29 PM
don't move to seattle.
No plan to but, Seattle isn't the only place this type of stuff occurs.

George Gervin's Afro
03-25-2010, 03:29 PM
School = Government

children = school

school = govt

children = govt..

nice sound logic..

symple19
03-25-2010, 03:30 PM
This girl (and perhaps even her mother) will be thankful for this when she's in college advancing toward a degree instead of toiling away at Mickey D's while attempting to take care of a screaming little nuisance.

Should the parents have been notified? Yes. Will this ultimately lead to a better life for her? Probably, unless she keeps spreading her legs w/o using birth control.

TeyshaBlue
03-25-2010, 03:46 PM
children = school

school = govt

children = govt..

nice sound logic..

Given the striations of American society, public school = govt. is not out of reach.

in2deep
03-25-2010, 03:52 PM
thanks for this useless piece of information

Oh, Gee!!
03-25-2010, 03:52 PM
No plan to but, Seattle isn't the only place this type of stuff occurs.

state's rights. what are you gonna do?

johnsmith
03-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Meh? It's still more interesting than a thread about 9/11 conspiracies.

jack sommerset
03-25-2010, 04:19 PM
The nerve of some people. Obamacare, a 26-year old is considered to be a child. But a 15-year old, who can not yet legally drive, drink, vote, or sign a legal contract, can give her consent for an abortion without her parents' knowledge? And you wonder what's wrong with continuing to give the Democrats more and more control over your lives?

Winehole23
03-25-2010, 04:21 PM
In Texas this would never fly.

Winehole23
03-25-2010, 04:21 PM
In Washington? Who knows?

Wild Cobra
03-25-2010, 05:22 PM
In Washington? Who knows?
Welcome to the North-Left coast politics. It gets worse where I live. I call Portland the Capital of the North Left coast.

balli
03-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Good. Fuck breeders.

ploto
03-25-2010, 05:44 PM
She is 15 and her parents should have been notified.

The state of Washington has no parental consent or parental notification laws.

jack sommerset
03-25-2010, 06:41 PM
The state of Washington has no parental consent or parental notification laws.

Do you think the law was intended to be use this way? Don't be fucking stupid. If she broke her arm, cut her knee, bruised her thigh,etc...her parents would have been notified.

This really is sad. I can't believe anyone could think that a 15 year old is emotionally prepared to go through something as tramatic as an abortion without counsel and love and support from her parents.

spursncowboys
03-25-2010, 06:44 PM
don't move to seattle.

Good point. If Seattle and the county it is in does not want to keep children protected, the people should leave. If the companies do not agree with that, they should move their business.

spursncowboys
03-25-2010, 06:45 PM
For instance, if someone thinks me spanking my kid is wrong then maybe they should go to a state that protects children from discipline and love.

ChumpDumper
03-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Do you think the law was intended to be use this way?There is no law to be used any way.

You can say "There oughtta be a law" but if there isn't a law, there isn't a law.

spursncowboys
03-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Do you think the law was intended to be use this way? Don't be fucking stupid. If she broke her arm, cut her knee, bruised her thigh,etc...her parents would have been notified.

This really is sad. I can't believe anyone could think that a 15 year old is emotionally prepared to go through something as tramatic as an abortion without counsel and love and support from her parents.

+1. This is disturbing. What is worse is they think they are helping her.

ChumpDumper
03-25-2010, 06:48 PM
For instance, if someone thinks me spanking my kid is wrong then maybe they should go to a state that protects children from discipline and love.You hit your children out of love.

Winehole23
03-25-2010, 06:51 PM
For instance, if someone thinks me spanking my kid is wrong then maybe they should go to a state that protects children from discipline and love."Someone" can say whatever he wants. If you don't like it maybe you should move.

ElNono
03-25-2010, 07:20 PM

Ultimately it was her choice. She could have just as easily talked to her parents if she wanted to. They're loving and supporting parents after all, right?

Crookshanks
03-25-2010, 07:23 PM
What's even more disturbing than this story is all the people on this forum who have no problem with it. This country is going to hell...

ElNono
03-25-2010, 07:25 PM
What's even more disturbing than this story is all the people on this forum who have no problem with it. This country is going to hell...

:jack

Winehole23
03-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Damn hippies.

ChumpDumper
03-25-2010, 07:36 PM
What's even more disturbing than this story is all the people on this forum who have no problem with it. This country is going to hell...I agree there oughtta be a law. But if you claim to respect privacy and the rule of law, there isn't much about which to be outraged.

ploto
03-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Do you think the law was intended to be used this way?

Actually, states without parental consent laws are often intentionally set up so that girls can make the choice when they know their parents will not approve or consent.

What's even more disturbing than this story is all the people on this forum who have no problem with it.

Have issue with the lawmakers of the state. My post is pointing out that no one had to notify her parents. Specifically, if she did not want them notified, they would be abiding by her rights to privacy.

Just because I point out the legal aspect does not mean I agree with it.

EmptyMan
03-25-2010, 08:11 PM
edit: after actually reading the op, that's pretty fucked up for a school to do.

I couldn't care less about the teen aborting johnny, but no need to make a field trip out of it.

Wild Cobra
03-25-2010, 08:41 PM

That is how the liberals here on the left coast do things. It is so they can intentionally circumvent the parents.

Wild Cobra
03-25-2010, 08:45 PM
+1. This is disturbing. What is worse is they think they are helping her.
Yep, in their own libtarded way.

There was a case some years back over here. I don't recall all the details, but the school nurse was giving a Jr. High school girl hormonal birth control. This was perfectly legal. She died from some drug interactions or complications because of what her regular doctor prescribed. The parents sued the school district. I don't recall ever hearing the results.

Wild Cobra
03-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Ultimately it was her choice. She could have just as easily talked to her parents if she wanted to. They're loving and supporting parents after all, right?
Children are not old enough to make such decisions by themselves. It may have been legal, but it should be criminal, what they did.

Liberals love immoral laws.

jack sommerset
03-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Children are not old enough to make such decisions by themselves. It may have been legal, but it should be criminal, what they did.

Liberals love immoral laws.

This law will get fixed. Honestly, most people love liberals BULLSHIT "causes" and "morals" until they see their work in action first hand.

BradLohaus
03-25-2010, 10:07 PM
The "family" is an outdated concept, nothing but a subsection of the patriarchy, which would not exist if not for the cancer of religion. Disagree and you hate women and children.

I'll save you the trouble of reading the feminist blog takes on this story.

ElNono
03-25-2010, 10:28 PM

Parental consent used to be required, but was ruled unconstitutional by the State Supreme Court in State v. Koome (1975). And BTW, legal abortions in Washington state were voted on (Referendum 20, 1970) and passed with 56.5% of the votes. So what you have here has nothing to do with 'libtard politicians', but mere popular will.

Oh, Gee!!
03-25-2010, 11:20 PM

remove the stick from your ass, grandma.

"It's an outrage, that you libs aren't outraged!!"

LnGrrrR
03-26-2010, 04:44 AM
Ugh. Even as a pro-choicer, this story is damn disturbing.

Agreed. This definitely crosses a line.

I think it'd be one thing if the girl decided to do it herself. But the school helping her, and not informing her parents, is shady to me.

coyotes_geek
03-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Agreed. This definitely crosses a line.

I think it'd be one thing if the girl decided to do it herself. But the school helping her, and not informing her parents, is shady to me.

Definitely.

coyotes_geek
03-26-2010, 08:14 AM
Parental consent used to be required, but was ruled unconstitutional by the State Supreme Court in State v. Koome (1975).

Forgive me for not understanding all the legal ramifications, but does striking down parental consent equate to granting minors the right to consent to abortions? And what's the age in Washington where you can consent to sex? Seems awfully messed up to me if the situation in Washington is that children who don't have a legal right to consent to have sex do have a legal right to consent to an abortion. Don't get me wrong, I'm a states rights guy so Washington can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned, but damn. That's just messed up if that's what's going on.

ploto
03-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Forgive me for not understanding all the legal ramifications, but does striking down parental consent equate to granting minors the right to consent to abortions?

From what I could find in a quick search:

14 states are without parental consent or notification laws.

11 other states mandate parental notification but do not require parental consent.

In all these states, it appears that the girl can give the consent herself. Not only does this apply to abortion, but to other types of reproductive medical services from what I could gather.

It probably surprises some people that in half the states, the parents do not have to give permission for their minor daughter to get an abortion.

coyotes_geek
03-26-2010, 10:52 AM
From what I could find in a quick search:

14 states are without parental consent or notification laws.

11 other states mandate parental notification but do not require parental consent.

In all these states, it appears that the girl can give the consent herself. Not only does this apply to abortion, but to other types of reproductive medical services from what I could gather.

It probably surprises some people that in half the states, the parents do not have to give permission for their minor daughter to get an abortion.

Thanks for the research. Count me amongst the surprised.

ElNono
03-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Forgive me for not understanding all the legal ramifications, but does striking down parental consent equate to granting minors the right to consent to abortions? And what's the age in Washington where you can consent to sex? Seems awfully messed up to me if the situation in Washington is that children who don't have a legal right to consent to have sex do have a legal right to consent to an abortion. Don't get me wrong, I'm a states rights guy so Washington can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned, but damn. That's just messed up if that's what's going on.

I couldn't find much on the actual ruling. I would have loved to read the judges opinions on the case. The only thing I found was some passing verbiage that explains the basis of the ruling:
"Because the constitutional rights of minors are coextensive with the constitutional rights of adults, a minor's privacy right to an abortion cannot be subjected to an absolute parental veto" - State vs Koome, 530 P.2d 260 (1975)

From here (http://depts.washington.edu/adolmed/WA%20Minor%20Consent%20Laws.pdf)

TeyshaBlue
03-26-2010, 11:29 AM
You hit your children out of love.

Yes. I also yell at my kids for making too much noise. I like to kill people to show that killing other people is wrong.

coyotes_geek
03-26-2010, 02:00 PM
I couldn't find much on the actual ruling. I would have loved to read the judges opinions on the case. The only thing I found was some passing verbiage that explains the basis of the ruling:
"Because the constitutional rights of minors are coextensive with the constitutional rights of adults, a minor's privacy right to an abortion cannot be subjected to an absolute parental veto" - State vs Koome, 530 P.2d 260 (1975)

From here (http://depts.washington.edu/adolmed/WA%20Minor%20Consent%20Laws.pdf)

Thanks for the link Nono. After reading the bolded, I'm still left with the question of how one reconciles minors having a constitutional right to privacy about abortions yet the constitutionality of denying minors the right to consent to sex is never questioned. Not that I'm asking you specifically for an answer Nono. It's just goofy to me.

ElNono
03-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the link Nono. After reading the bolded, I'm still left with the question of how one reconciles minors having a constitutional right to privacy about abortions yet the constitutionality of denying minors the right to consent to sex is never questioned. Not that I'm asking you specifically for an answer Nono. It's just goofy to me.

The age of consent in Washington state is determined by the penalization of sexual conduct with a minor (RCW 9A.44.096 (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.44.096)). It's basically 16 years old, with a couple of exceptions at 18 years old.

So basically, one is criminalized and the other isn't. That's about it.

Duff McCartney
03-26-2010, 03:56 PM

Holy hyperbole Batman!

She's 15 years old. If it's okay to give fifteen year old children life in prison and tried as adults, then it should be okay for a 15 year old to get an abortion without her parents.

jack sommerset
03-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Holy hyperbole Batman!

She's 15 years old. If it's okay to give fifteen year old children life in prison and tried as adults, then it should be okay for a 15 year old to get an abortion without her parents.

I don't think that is ok either.

Duff McCartney
03-26-2010, 04:30 PM
I don't think that is ok either.

I do think it's okay. Because I know exactly what I was doing at 15 years old. Nobody is as smart as they are gonna be at 15 but it's old enough to make decisions. She's old enough to decide to have unprotected sex, and she's old enough to decide to have an abortion.

spursncowboys
03-26-2010, 04:38 PM
I do think it's okay. Because I know exactly what I was doing at 15 years old. Nobody is as smart as they are gonna be at 15 but it's old enough to make decisions. She's old enough to decide to have unprotected sex, and she's old enough to decide to have an abortion.
what if she's 14 and was raped?

Wild Cobra
03-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Parental consent used to be required, but was ruled unconstitutional by the State Supreme Court in State v. Koome (1975). And BTW, legal abortions in Washington state were voted on (Referendum 20, 1970) and passed with 56.5% of the votes. So what you have here has nothing to do with 'libtard politicians', but mere popular will.
LOL...

Here we are talking about pregnant children, and you change tracks again. The 1970 vote was not to address children, but to overturn a 1854 law that made abortion illegal.

Abortion Reform in Washington State (http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=5313)

The Washington Territorial Legislature adopted its first abortion-related statute in 1854. The law made it illegal to “administer to any woman pregnant with a quick child any medicine, drug, or substance whatever; or use or employ any instrument or other means with intent to destroy such child, unless the same shall have been necessary to preserve the life of such mother” (Sec. 37, p. 81, Laws of Washington, 1854).

If you ask me, the appeals court went too far on abortion for minors. Judicial activism. This was not a vote of the people. Inconsistent with this as well:

Providing Health Care to Minors under Washington Law (http://www.healthyyouthalliance.org/docs/naral_mhc_rights.pdf)

Age limits for things other than abortion? Where is the legal consistency?

Wild Cobra
03-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Same here. Consent and notification are not the same.

ploto
03-26-2010, 07:23 PM
what if she's 14 and was raped?

Actually, some of those states with parental consent laws allow for abortion without parental consent in cases of sexual assault. So, a girl who has been raped has even more leeway to get the abortion without her parents' permission.

ElNono
03-27-2010, 01:04 AM
LOL...

Here we are talking about pregnant children, and you change tracks again. The 1970 vote was not to address children, but to overturn a 1854 law that made abortion illegal.

Abortion Reform in Washington State (http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=5313)

You need to read what you link to. That 1970 law also established that minors seeking abortion required parental consent. That's exactly why I brought it up. The consent requirement was then challenged and dropped in 1975 in the State vs Koome lawsuit.

If you ask me, the appeals court went too far on abortion for minors. Judicial activism. This was not a vote of the people. Inconsistent with this as well:

It wasn't an appeals court, it was the State's supreme court. I would think they have a better idea of their own state constitution than you do.
Furthermore, it's been 35 years. They're obviously comfortable with their system, otherwise they would have a new law in place already.

Wild Cobra
03-27-2010, 09:03 PM
You need to read what you link to. That 1970 law also established that minors seeking abortion required parental consent. That's exactly why I brought it up. The consent requirement was then challenged and dropped in 1975 in the State vs Koome lawsuit.
Yes, I know that. I thought you were linking it to show the voters agreed to children having abortions without parental consent with the 56.5% Yes vote.

It wasn't an appeals court, it was the State's supreme court. I would think they have a better idea of their own state constitution than you do.
I could swear the document I pulled up on the case said appeals court, but that doesn't matter much. It didn't go farther and became law.

Furthermore, it's been 35 years. They're obviously comfortable with their system, otherwise they would have a new law in place already.
Sure, the liberal baby killers are. Not the population as a whole.

I find it very offensive that an activist court can find such equality for minors to adults for mature decision making when the constitution specifically recognizes age requirements. I think if this ever went to the supreme court with a good litigator, it would be overturned. It obviously either had in incompetent attorney on the state's side, or the judges were activists. Maybe it wasn't an activist judicial system. After-all, competent lawyers can make so much more money that their counterparts working on a government salary.

ElNono
03-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Sure, the liberal baby killers are. Not the population as a whole.

You're still missing the point. The court decision was 35 years ago. If the liberal baby killers have been in power for so long, it's because the population as a whole feels comfortable keeping them in power.

I find it very offensive that an activist court can find such equality for minors to adults for mature decision making when the constitution specifically recognizes age requirements. I think if this ever went to the supreme court with a good litigator, it would be overturned. It obviously either had in incompetent attorney on the state's side, or the judges were activists. Maybe it wasn't an activist judicial system. After-all, competent lawyers can make so much more money that their counterparts working on a government salary.

What you find offensive is irrelevant. Justice deals in law, not morality. Again, that ruling was 35 years ago, and there's nothing stopping lawmakers from criminalizing underage abortion with a mere law, the same way they criminalize underage marriage. It's patently obvious that if it hasn't happened yet, it's most likely because the popular support for such a measure is not there in Washington state.

Tell me something, do you think Roe vs Wade was a good ruling by the SC?

Wild Cobra
03-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Tell me something, do you think Roe vs Wade was a good ruling by the SC?
No.

It violates States Rights.

As for the other matter, the age recognition by constitution should have been enough not to give minors equal rights to adult decision making. Also, law recognizes that parents are responsible for their children. How can they be when the government is so hypocritical on the subject?

spursncowboys
03-27-2010, 10:56 PM
IMO the only people who think roe v wade was a good ruling are the ones who like the end result of the ruling.

Wild Cobra
03-27-2010, 11:08 PM
IMO the only people who think roe v wade was a good ruling are the ones who like the end result of the ruling.
Yep, the lovers of infantcide.

ElNono
03-28-2010, 12:33 AM
No.
It violates States Rights.

Or whatever you think State Rights are... gotcha

As for the other matter, the age recognition by constitution should have been enough not to give minors equal rights to adult decision making. Also, law recognizes that parents are responsible for their children. How can they be when the government is so hypocritical on the subject?

Can I get a quote of that?

ElNono
03-28-2010, 12:34 AM

What is, in your opinion, the end result of the ruling?