PDA

View Full Version : Remember when Obama was against a mandate?

DarrinS
03-25-2010, 04:14 PM
7AOJBiklP1Q

Winehole23
03-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Once upon a time, Obama was against all sorts of things he eats for breakfast and lunch now.

boutons_deux
03-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Remember when dubya and dickhead NEVER TOLD US about their secret, unstoppable agenda for invading Iraq-for-oil?

jack sommerset
03-25-2010, 04:28 PM
Those were the good old days.

DarrinS
03-25-2010, 04:50 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4460856135_1d9152f59e_o.jpg

Winehole23
03-25-2010, 04:55 PM
At least that guy tried to do what he said he was going to.

Wild Cobra
03-25-2010, 05:43 PM
Those were the good old days.
Yep, Carter gave us the Department of Education, indoctrinating all the children. Now they are grown up, they thing Health Care is a right.

What's next?

ChumpDumper
03-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Remember when DarrinS posted a YouTube from work?

ChumpDumper
03-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Yep, Carter gave us the Department of Education, indoctrinating all the children. Now they are grown up, they thing Health Care is a right.

What's next?What policy of the DoE indoctrinated children to support the concept of health care as a right?

Mr. Peabody
03-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Remember two and a half years ago, when the GOP think tanks were in favor of them -

A final prototype issue is the contentious one of the Massachusetts individ ual mandate or similar "personal responsibility" provisions. Clearly, as long as there is a federal mandate on hospitals to treat patients regardless of ability to pay, there will be an incentive for some to forgo purchasing health insurance and, if they need care, to try to stick others with the bill. Insurance reforms and premium support can never complete ly counter that incentive. Thus, state governments will inevitably have to consider some mechanism for enforcing personal responsibility if they are to escape would-be "free-riders" imposing not only their direct costs, but also the bigger, indirect costs-such as the cost of propping up uncompeti tive providers-on the rest of us.

Now, they're unconstitutional . . . ?:rolleyes

Winehole23
03-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Fidelity to ideas? Perish the thought.

Loser ideas get thrown off the electoral ship, only to be reclaimed sentimentally whenever it may be suitable to do so in the future.

spursncowboys
03-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Remember when Obama wanted universal healthcare? I wonder if he is going to use the same over estimated numbers that leave 20 mil still w/o hc?

rjv
03-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Remember when Obama wanted universal healthcare? I wonder if he is going to use the same over estimated numbers that leave 20 mil still w/o hc?

actually, that is not quite so accurate.

In February 2004, about a month before the primary election in the U.S. Senate race, the Associated Press reported the stance of all the candidates on universal health care. "Obama says he supports the idea of universal health care but does not think a single-payer government system is feasible. He says the government should be the health care provider of last resort for the uninsured." In a rundown of all the candidates' positions, the Associated Press summarized Obama's position as "Support, but 'probably not at this stage,' a single-payer government system."

In his book The Audacity of Hope , published in October 2006 when he was a U.S. senator, Obama described single-payer as the hope of the left, while those on the right wanted a market-based approach. "It's time we broke this impasse by acknowledging a few simple truths," Obama wrote, suggesting a system much like the one he supports today.

In April 2007, a few months after he declared his candidacy for presidency, the Chicago Tribune reported, "Obama has pledged that, if elected, all Americans would have health-care coverage by the end of his first term. He has said he is reluctant to switch to a 'single-payer' national health insurance system because of the difficulty in making a quick transition from the employer-based private system."

At his town halls as president, he routinely answers questions about single-payer by saying he would favor it if he were starting a system "from scratch." But he consistently adds that's not the goal of the current reform. "For us to transition completely from an employer-based system of private insurance to a single-payer system could be hugely disruptive, and my attitude has been that we should be able to find a way to create a uniquely American solution to this problem that controls costs but preserves the innovation that is introduced in part with a free-market system," Obama said in Annandale, Va., on July 1, 2009

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/jul/16/barack-obama/obama-statements-single-payer-have-changed-bit/

MannyIsGod
03-27-2010, 02:43 AM
LOL Remember when Mitt Romney was for a mandate?

"Some of my libertarian friends balk at what looks like an individual mandate. But remember, someone has to pay for the health care that must, by law, be provided: Either the individual pays or the taxpayers pay. A free ride on government is not libertarian."

-- Mitt Romney, defending the individual mandate to buy health care in the Wall Street Journal back in 2006. Romney now criticizes the same mandate in the recently passed national legislation.

Read more: http://politicalwire.com/archives/2010/03/24/flashback_of_the_day.html#ixzz0jMQTm5Qt

Once we have a public option we won't need a mandate.

Winehole23
03-27-2010, 02:46 AM
And this bill represents incremental <<progress>> towards that. Loud and clear, MIG.

MannyIsGod
03-27-2010, 02:57 AM
And this bill represents incremental <<progress>> towards that. Loud and clear, MIG.

I was pretty unhappy with the mandate myself, to be quite frank. But the fact of the matter is that what was voted on was not simply a bill but any hope for future health care reform which this country needs. I'm not sold that in the future it will happen and it will take work, but I firmly believe that had this effort failed then the GOP would have burried any long term hopes this country has of cutting the cost of medical care and/or providing a public option which was simply not acceptable to me.