PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Was Trading Oberto, Bowen and Thomas worth it??!

ceperez
03-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Okay, Oberto, Bowen and Thomas were all completely over the hill, but the Spurs seem to be definitely in worse position this year with the likes of McDyess, Bogans and RJ.

RJ with his ludicrous salary will prevent us from signing Manu.

McDyess at $5m per season is another anchor.

Finally Bogans can't defend anyone, can't shoot and is the worst passer I've seen. His mere presence in the starting line-up has cause Finley to call it quits, kept Haiston warming the bench and ruined Mason's confidence.

I think we could have done much better with Oberto, Bowen and Thomas even if they didn't set foot in the court.

What a crap F.O.!

Chieflion
03-25-2010, 07:52 PM
http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/celebrity-pictures-tina-fey-hindsight-dated.jpg

http://wsilva.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/facepalm_implied.jpg

benefactor
03-25-2010, 08:00 PM
I think we could have done much better with Oberto, Bowen and Thomas even if they didn't set foot in the court.

You should probably stop thinking. It's in you best interest.

Blackjack
03-25-2010, 08:04 PM
I'm not sure how you can even pose this question legitimately . . .

Of course they would've been better off not doing the trade. They could've used the MLE on someone like Ariza and used the same package they put together for the RJ trade to acquire front line help at the deadline or earlier.

Hell, there's a pretty damn good possibility that they take better advantage of the early schedule starting the year with the continuity and corporate knowledge that's been this teams' mainstay and have an opportunity to springboard their success to another level at the deadline; the way the competition is looking ... who knows how far they could've gone.

It's an exercise in futility and nothing more than revisionist history, but, yeah, they'd be better off having not made the trade IMO.

Sigz
03-25-2010, 08:04 PM
You're mom's butt cheeks felt soo good between my face.

ChumpDumper
03-25-2010, 08:07 PM
RJ with his ludicrous salary will prevent us from signing Manu.

McDyess at $5m per season is another anchor.Doesn't look like they will prevent us from re-signing Manu.

Finally Bogans can't defend anyone, can't shoot and is the worst passer I've seen. His mere presence in the starting line-up has cause Finley to call it quits, kept Haiston warming the bench and ruined Mason's confidence.He had nothing to do with the trade.

I think we could have done much better with Oberto, Bowen and Thomas even if they didn't set foot in the court.What a fantastic idea.

FeZZy
03-25-2010, 09:52 PM
:lmao wow just wow

MaNu4Tres
03-25-2010, 10:35 PM
OP full of fail.

Fabbs
03-25-2010, 11:07 PM
OP right on.

Mostly stupid *rebuttals*

Blackjack
03-25-2010, 11:09 PM
Damn, I should probably read these things a little more carefully when I decide to respond.

I just assumed it was a straight-up revisionist trade 'poll' . . .

Regardless, it's going to be tough seeing LeBron tomorrow when we could've seen him donning the black and silver if the Spurs would've just given up Bonner, Mason, Mahinmi and the rights to Splitter; talk about a fail . . .

Fabbs
03-25-2010, 11:14 PM
Damn, I should probably read these things a little more carefully when I decide to respond.

I just assumed it was a straight-up revisionist trade 'poll' . . .

Regardless, it's going to be tough seeing LeBron tomorrow when we could've seen him donning the black and silver if the Spurs would've just given up Bonner, Mason, Mahinmi and the rights to Splitter; talk about a fail . . .
yeah we just could not have had SJax or anyone else for half the price.
Lets just sniff Pops butt and call it the only way we could have spent 14 million and let go of three expiriings. Lets attempt some lame ridicule of anyone who refuses to sniff.

tp2021
03-25-2010, 11:16 PM
It makes so much sense. The Centerpiece may be marginally better than the bowtie analyst defensively, since bruce wasn't good enough to get playing time anymore. Dice sucks this year and KT was good last year, but KT is getting old and he isn't as athletic and we needed athleticism. The big difference is that Oberto sucks and Pop was smart for getting a younger, more athletic PF in RJ. So the trade was definitely awesome!

Blackjack
03-25-2010, 11:38 PM
yeah we just could not have had SJax or anyone else for half the price.
Lets just sniff Pops butt and call it the only way we could have spent 14 million and let go of three expiriings. Lets attempt some lame ridicule of anyone who refuses to sniff.

I'm not sure how that's the take you get from my comment; I wasn't being sarcastic in the one that preceded it.

The OP stating that RJ's contract is going to prevent the Spurs from signing Manu (talks between Rudoy and RC are on the verge of starting once Buford returns from Europe next week, by the way) just isn't true. The Spurs are going to offer him whatever they see as a reasonable sum that makes sense both on the court and off. They're not going to grossly overpay if the team can't contend or if it will prevent them from finding the pieces to contend.

RJ's overpaid and the trade was never a great fit. But the Spurs' options were basically Carter or RJ, and Vince would've cost them Hill at the minimum; which I'm very glad they didn't do. Ariza was all but a lock to go back to LA and Jackson was never going to be dealt to a Texas team after he made it known they were his preference; GS wanted no part in helping out Jack after that fiasco.

So if you're asking me if I'd like a flux-capacitor to go back in time and stop the Spurs from acquiring RJ, of course I would (I wasn't in favor of the trade then). But the Spurs took a gamble on a talent that was only available for what they had to offer because of that albatross of a contract; people seem to forget that's why he was available to the Spurs. And since the guy seemed to have the right attitude and there was a comfort level with him from the '04 Olympics with Pop, they rolled the dice; they crapped out (sometimes it really is that simple).

senorglory
03-25-2010, 11:40 PM
regardless, it's going to be tough seeing lebron tomorrow when we could've seen him donning the black and silver if the spurs would've just given up bonner, mason, mahinmi and the rights to splitter; talk about a fail . . .

lol.

Man In Black
03-25-2010, 11:48 PM
I'm not sure how that's the take you get from my comment; I wasn't being sarcastic in the one that preceded it.

The OP stating that RJ's contract is going to prevent the Spurs from signing Manu (talks between Rudoy and RC are on the verge of starting once Buford returns from Europe next week, by the way) just isn't true. The Spurs are going to offer him whatever they see as a reasonable sum that makes sense both on the court and off. They're not going to grossly overpay if the team can't contend or if it will prevent them from finding the pieces to contend.

RJ's overpaid and the trade was never a great fit. But the Spurs' options were basically Carter or RJ, and Vince would've cost them Hill at the minimum; which I'm very glad they didn't do. Ariza was all but a lock to go back to LA and Jackson was never going to be dealt to a Texas team after he made it known they were his preference; GS wanted no part in helping out Jack after that fiasco.

So if you're asking me if I'd like a flux-capacitor to go back in time and stop the Spurs from acquiring RJ, of course I would (I wasn't in favor of the trade then). But the Spurs took a gamble on a talent that was only available for what they had to offer because of that albatross of a contract; people seem to forget that's why he was available to the Spurs. And since the guy seemed to have the right attitude and there was a comfort level with him from the '04 Olympics with Pop, they rolled the dice; they crapped out (sometimes it really is that simple).
:depressed If RJ had some real gonads, then he'd find a way to dive cut to the rim at the right time to get some easy scores. When he settles for a weak-ass J, the Spurs are not benefiting.

Blackjack
03-25-2010, 11:55 PM
To be fair, if RJ had the 'gonads' or overall game that could have him thrive on just about any team regardless of personnel ... he wouldn't have been available.

Saying someone doesn't fit has just become so trite and cliche, but square peg, round hole had to come from a similar origin.

Spurs da champs
03-25-2010, 11:56 PM
Finally Bogans can't defend anyone, can't shoot and is the worst passer I've seen. His mere presence in the starting line-up has cause Finley to call it quits, kept Haiston warming the bench and ruined Mason's confidence.

What a crap F.O.!

I agree Bogans has a low iq he took a contested three by kobe acting like he is somebody him & bonner/jefferson shouldn't even be here. Stephen Jackson & Marcus Camby would've been perfect.

5in10
03-26-2010, 01:30 AM
I thought we knew that answer 15 games into the season.

mountainballer
03-26-2010, 06:21 AM
http://www.ecodibiella.it/eco/upload/popovich_buford_sito.jpg

"ceperez started a new thread about us on ST"
"oh really? how exciting!"

Chillen
03-26-2010, 06:38 AM
The RJ trade just hasn't done anything for the team, and unless something unbelievable happens and the team gets to the NBA finals it may be worth it. From a financial standpoint it wasn't worth it at all, yet I can't fault the Spurs for making the move they had to do something and it didn't work out like as planned. The McDyess signing was the highpoint of the offseason, not the Richard Jefferson trade. Still it's not the dumbest Spurs trade, that would be trading Scola to the Rockets for a roll of toilet paper.

ffadicted
03-26-2010, 06:56 AM

pink eyyyeeeee

John_C
03-26-2010, 07:11 AM
I'll always regret the day we traded away Bowen. Bowen was a competitor. He did not shy away from guarding the best players of the other teams. The Spurs could just take a look at him during the game, and by understanding that one of them is not going to back down, they could feed off him.

It was such a disappointment to see them play the Lakers. It seemed they suddenly unraveled when the Lakers got the lead, and Kobe scored successively. The Lakers pushed us, and we did not push back. Bowen would have pushed back. Bowen would have raged against going down.

Muser
03-26-2010, 08:24 AM
When/if the Spurs turn Jefferson POS contract into gold i'll answer this question.

waly.mg
03-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Scola Thread ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

When you are tlaking abouts IF WE DON´T TRADE ....... you never know

Imagine something like that:

We have RJ , with 15 millions contract, TD with 20, Tony with 12 and we can resign and trade Manu. There´s no one player in the league that you can´t have in a trade.

Like that:
Lebron x RJ, Manu and TP
Lebron x RJ and TD
Anthony x RJ and Manu or TP
Dwight Howard x Manu or TP and RJ

You never know what can happen.

After the season, RJ is a Expiring 15 millions contract

xamila rey
03-26-2010, 11:12 AM
i understand Oberto's limitations but i sometimes miss the chemistry that he had with Tim and Manu. McDyess can't catch a pass.

E-RockWill
03-26-2010, 11:23 AM

between your face...? Wha...?

Fermixalot
03-26-2010, 11:33 AM
i understand Oberto's limitations but i sometimes miss the chemistry that he had with Tim and Manu. McDyess can't catch a pass.

Oberto had a very high BB IQ. He was often in the right place to catch those backdoor passes and I just loved his attitude. He knew the system and, like you said, had great chemistry with Tim and Manu.

Baseline
03-26-2010, 12:43 PM
I'll always regret the day we traded away Bowen. Bowen was a competitor. He did not shy away from guarding the best players of the other teams. The Spurs could just take a look at him during the game, and by understanding that one of them is not going to back down, they could feed off him.

It was such a disappointment to see them play the Lakers. It seemed they suddenly unraveled when the Lakers got the lead, and Kobe scored successively. The Lakers pushed us, and we did not push back. Bowen would have pushed back. Bowen would have raged against going down.

Exactly. The demise of the Spurs actually started last season when Popovich began sitting Bowen for no reason whatsoever. I was livid. Bowen was still shooting over 40% from three range, and he was still our best perimeter defender. Of course he may not have been as dominant as he was five years ago, but Popovich was monitoring his minutes, so that part was being managed.

Manu was hurt and we might have neded more offense -- but the end result of all this was that Popovich prematurely ended Bowen's career, which prematurely ended the Spurs' championship window.

I honestly feel that if we had those three guys back right this minute instead of RJ and Dice, we could win the title this year.

The difference is that Manu is back to 100% Manu, and GHill is contributing in a significant way. So we don't need the 29-yr-old version of Bowen, Thomas, and Oberto. We just need guys who can do the best they can in our system and not blow assignments and make turnovers all game long.

z0sa
03-26-2010, 12:47 PM
I honestly feel that if we had those three guys back right this minute instead of RJ and Dice, we could win the title this year.

Know what sucks so, so bad? That statement actually has merit.