PDA

View Full Version : Another Job Thread.

Drachen
03-25-2010, 11:51 PM
With a different twist. I just got my bachelor's in Business Admin, and will be starting an MBA program with a finance focus in the summer. I would like to start a job soon in the finance industry (analysis, etc.). I have known this is what I want to do for a very long time. I love analysis and always trying to make situations financially better.

My problem is that I am in the educational industry and I figure that sometime within the next year I should be looking for a job which allows me to work in my desired industry again (have been there before), so that when I get my degree, I will be well positioned for a promotion.

Only problem is, I don't know where to start. I don't want to be front lines, but have very little management experience. I was thinking about bringing my resume to Robert Half to see what they have available, or if they could give me advice, but I thought I would put out the call to find out if there is anyone on here in that industry who could give me some advice.

Thank you

Gary Neville
03-26-2010, 12:01 AM
you already got a bachelor degree and that can find you a job at least, may probably not be the desired one though. you have to start from the front lines anyway, even if you have got MBA degree already.

oh crap
03-26-2010, 12:06 AM
better have some intangibles to make you a top candidate otherwise, it's a very competitive job market out there right now.

montgod
03-26-2010, 12:45 AM
With a different twist. I just got my bachelor's in Business Admin, and will be starting an MBA program with a finance focus in the summer. I would like to start a job soon in the finance industry (analysis, etc.). I have known this is what I want to do for a very long time. I love analysis and always trying to make situations financially better.

My problem is that I am in the educational industry and I figure that sometime within the next year I should be looking for a job which allows me to work in my desired industry again (have been there before), so that when I get my degree, I will be well positioned for a promotion.

Only problem is, I don't know where to start. I don't want to be front lines, but have very little management experience. I was thinking about bringing my resume to Robert Half to see what they have available, or if they could give me advice, but I thought I would put out the call to find out if there is anyone on here in that industry who could give me some advice.

Thank you

First off, congrats on finishing your degree!

Secondly, I am not in the finance industry, but I don't see the process as being any different in getting your foot in the door than any other profession... for the most part.

Here are a few ideas for you to ponder to possibly help you to achieve your goal:

- Re-do your resume to focus on your finance skillset. Look to see where you might have some holes in areas which you could build up on your own like certifications, additional coursework/training, internships, etc. You could even go to your current employer and see if there is some realm of the educational field where you could assist with their finances.

- Once you are done with your resume, put it out there and see if you get any bites. Even if you interview for jobs that might be a little beyond your skillset can help you better understand weaknesses that you can work on, as well as, better your interviewing skills.

- Be open-minded and don't look for promotional potential from the beginning. You may have a degree, but you are still new to the industry. Unless you are Bill Gates a lot of companies might find it to be a turn-off for you to come in looking for a promotion instead of building up your skillset and showing them what you have. Once you get in a position and perform way over your expected capabilities in conjunction with the additional education you are gaining is when you can plan for he future in terms of a promotion. The frontline jobs help you get your foot in the door, gain a better perspective on the finance process, and will help you later in your career as a manager since you have actually experienced it yourself. Don't underestimate the value of that.

- Call or go by the college you graduated from and get to know the finance faculty professors. Somewhere, your school should offer some avenue to help you with connections in the industry you are interested in. It's always much more beneficial to know someone or be referred in order to have a leg up on landing a potential position.

- Lastly, just do it man! You brought up going to Robert Craft which is a good idea to begin a good relationship with a future potential employer. Make sure you look over the tips mentioned above (specifically bettering your resume and checking with your college), go in with a good historical background of Robert Craft, have an initial meeting where you schedule a future meeting, and it could possibly be a very positive avenue for an internship, future employment, or... nothing. Nothing wouldn't be completely negative though because you still did the leg work and might have gained some bit of knowledge from the whole process.

Good Luck and I hope this helps.

TDMVPDPOY
03-26-2010, 01:05 AM
thats a waste of money what u just did there, out of all the fkn commerce courses you choose business admin?

seriously even entry lvl office jobs u dont need a degree or business admin degree for the job...

whats ur major in?

Drachen
03-26-2010, 01:57 PM
thats a waste of money what u just did there, out of all the fkn commerce courses you choose business admin?

seriously even entry lvl office jobs u dont need a degree or business admin degree for the job...

whats ur major in?

Ok, I think that you misunderstand. I chose business admin for the purpose of being able to get some management courses, finance courses, Ops courses, marketing, etc. A BSB/A focuses on all aspects of running or owning a business rather than being very specific. I want to have that broad background in my undergrad because that is what an undergrad is for. You don't really begin to specialize until your grad degree, then even further with your terminal degree (should you decide to pursue it).

I think that you are confusing this degree with an administrative assistant type of job, which it is not.

Drachen
03-26-2010, 02:02 PM
First off, congrats on finishing your degree!

Secondly, I am not in the finance industry, but I don't see the process as being any different in getting your foot in the door than any other profession... for the most part.

Here are a few ideas for you to ponder to possibly help you to achieve your goal:

- Re-do your resume to focus on your finance skillset. Look to see where you might have some holes in areas which you could build up on your own like certifications, additional coursework/training, internships, etc. You could even go to your current employer and see if there is some realm of the educational field where you could assist with their finances.

- Once you are done with your resume, put it out there and see if you get any bites. Even if you interview for jobs that might be a little beyond your skillset can help you better understand weaknesses that you can work on, as well as, better your interviewing skills.

- Be open-minded and don't look for promotional potential from the beginning. You may have a degree, but you are still new to the industry. Unless you are Bill Gates a lot of companies might find it to be a turn-off for you to come in looking for a promotion instead of building up your skillset and showing them what you have. Once you get in a position and perform way over your expected capabilities in conjunction with the additional education you are gaining is when you can plan for he future in terms of a promotion. The frontline jobs help you get your foot in the door, gain a better perspective on the finance process, and will help you later in your career as a manager since you have actually experienced it yourself. Don't underestimate the value of that.

- Call or go by the college you graduated from and get to know the finance faculty professors. Somewhere, your school should offer some avenue to help you with connections in the industry you are interested in. It's always much more beneficial to know someone or be referred in order to have a leg up on landing a potential position.

- Lastly, just do it man! You brought up going to Robert Craft which is a good idea to begin a good relationship with a future potential employer. Make sure you look over the tips mentioned above (specifically bettering your resume and checking with your college), go in with a good historical background of Robert Craft, have an initial meeting where you schedule a future meeting, and it could possibly be a very positive avenue for an internship, future employment, or... nothing. Nothing wouldn't be completely negative though because you still did the leg work and might have gained some bit of knowledge from the whole process.

Good Luck and I hope this helps.

This all makes sense. I should however add that I am 30 and, outside of the 3 years that I have spent working for a University, I have been in the finance industry (varying aspects) since I was 18. So I do have some experience there. I am actually very good friends with my Finance profs, so I could at least get some perspective there. I will go talk to Robert Craft to at least gain some more knowledge and if nothing else I will begin networking with those that I start my grad program with, as well as the profs from THAT school.

Blake
03-26-2010, 02:17 PM
I am actually very good friends with my Finance profs, so I could at least get some perspective there.

maybe, but there's a reason they are finance profs and not masters of the banking world.

they might give you good advice and it might be like asking a bald barber how he thinks you should cut your hair.

Drachen
03-26-2010, 02:31 PM
True, however the guys I am in good with are adjunct faculty who are required to hold a day job in the area in which they teach.

Blake
03-26-2010, 02:37 PM
True, however the guys I am in good with are adjunct faculty who are required to hold a day job in the area in which they teach.

well there you go. It never hurts to have guys like that on the resume.

Drachen
03-26-2010, 02:38 PM
well there you go. It never hurts to have guys like that on the resume.

One of them wrote one of my letters of recommendation for grad school. LOL