PDA

View Full Version : Californians to vote on legal weed

ducks
03-25-2010, 11:52 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/25/news/economy/marijuana_legalization_tax/index.htm

ducks
03-26-2010, 12:00 AM
1.3 billion to help the money problem

DMX7
03-26-2010, 12:23 AM
According to the bill, people would have to be 21 years or older "to possess, cultivate, or transport marijuana for personal use." Californians would not be permitted to use the drug in public or within the presence of minors, and would not be allowed to possess it on school grounds.

PERFECT!

This is what every state should do.

angrydude
03-26-2010, 12:39 AM
do all the drug dealers get out of jail?

MiamiHeat
03-26-2010, 01:00 AM
do all the drug dealers get out of jail?

no, but all the criminal drug dealers now go out of business

WOOHOO!! lower crime

ALWAYS bet on BLACK
03-26-2010, 01:29 AM
marijuana needs to remain illegal!
in fact, make possession of pot a fucking felony and toss the fuckers in jail for a minimum of 5 years!

keep drugs out of the mainstream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DMX7
03-26-2010, 03:05 AM
marijuana needs to remain illegal!
in fact, make possession of pot a fucking felony and toss the fuckers in jail for a minimum of 5 years!

keep drugs out of the mainstream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Typing in that size font needs to be illegal.

Trainwreck2100
03-26-2010, 03:43 AM
so now states can ignore a federal law, but when the states sue over that healthcare shit its bitching?

MannyIsGod
03-26-2010, 04:04 AM
Since when can states ignore a federal law? Its not their job to prosecute those laws. If the feds want to prosecute people in violation of federal law no court is going to throw it out.

Pretty sure the Obama administration ins't going to prosecute anyone for this if it passes though. Its the Feds ignoring federal law, not the states. If we see a conservative come to power again we'd see prosecutions again. Of that I'm sure of.

Trainwreck2100
03-26-2010, 04:09 AM
Since when can states ignore a federal law? Its not their job to prosecute those laws. If the feds want to prosecute people in violation of federal law no court is going to throw it out.

Pretty sure the Obama administration ins't going to prosecute anyone for this if it passes though. Its the Feds ignoring federal law, not the states. If we see a conservative come to power again we'd see prosecutions again. Of that I'm sure of.

I wasn't aware the stated made pot illegal

LnGrrrR
03-26-2010, 04:39 AM
Cheers to California. I just finished a 15 page paper for a writing class on the benefits of marijuana legalization, and from what I've researched they could make a great deal of money. As well, in the 80s when the War on Drugs started cracking down on pot, heroin and cocaine rates shot up. Maybe the reverse will happen if legalized.

21_Blessings
03-26-2010, 04:56 AM
Considering California votes like a schizophrenic, I'm not holding my breath on this passing.

The liberal's will be too busy taking cock up the ass and vaporizing their medical weed to be bothered to vote. Meanwhile the evangelicals will be marching the rank and file to the polls.

boutons_deux
03-26-2010, 05:23 AM
The War on Drugs make-work troopers/lifers in LA and Fed law enforcement will not comply with CA legalizing marijuana.

coyotes_geek
03-26-2010, 07:53 AM
California voters surprised the hell out of me when they shot down gay marriage. So I really don't have a feel for whether this will pass or not.

George Gervin's Afro
03-26-2010, 08:03 AM
so now states can ignore a federal law, but when the states sue over that healthcare shit its bitching?

I agree, either you are for state rights or you aren't. too many on this board will never take a side or a stand because usually their opinion isn't based on aything other than making those on the other side look bad...

Like when I posted a poll simply asking if any president should govern based on current polling data.. it was a yes or no and not many people wanted to weigh in. Why? My guess is that they don't really want a president to govern by polls...yet they are against obama care and their primary argument is that polls are against it... so they have to compromise their integrity... I for one don't want any President to govern by montioring daily tracking polls but apparently there are alot of folks on this board want to the president to do just that. It will be interesting to see if they feel the same way about polling when their guy is in office and he/she proposes something that polls less than 50%... My guess is they will be hypocrites and take the stand that the president shouldn't govern by polls

fyatuk
03-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Not like it matters. SCOTUS already said Federal drug laws trump State drug laws, and State's are obligated to uphold federal law....

Winehole23
03-26-2010, 08:14 AM

Pretty sure the Obama administration ins't going to prosecute anyone for this if it passes though. Its the Feds ignoring federal law, not the states. If we see a conservative come to power again we'd see prosecutions again. Of that I'm sure of.What makes you so sure enforcement has ceased or will shortly under Obama?

Winehole23
03-26-2010, 08:15 AM
Just curious. Certain news items would seem to suggest the opposite.

boutons_deux
03-26-2010, 08:17 AM
"California voters surprised the hell out of me when they shot down gay marriage"

Wake up, this is America.

Money buys elections, non-CA/Utah Mormons bought the CA homo/lesbo-phobic vote.

Farthole23
03-26-2010, 08:24 AM
What makes you so sure enforcement has ceased or will shortly under Obama?

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/oct/20/nation/na-medical-marijuana20

A federal about-face on medical marijuana

New Justice Department guidelines order federal drug agents to cease arresting or charging patients, caregivers or suppliers who are conforming with state law.

October 20, 2009|Josh Meyer
WASHINGTON — The Obama administration on Monday told federal authorities not to arrest or prosecute medical marijuana users and suppliers who aren't violating local laws, paving the way for some states to allow dispensaries to provide the drug as relief for some maladies.
The Justice Department's guidelines ended months of uncertainty over how far the Obama White House planned to go in reversing the Bush administration's position, which was that federal drug laws should be enforced even in states like California, with medical marijuana laws on the books.

Winehole23
03-26-2010, 08:34 AM
Farthole23 apparently did my homework. Thanks, Farthole. :tu

whottt
03-26-2010, 08:44 AM
It's one of the better things he's done since becoming Pres.

coyotes_geek
03-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Money buys elections, non-CA/Utah Mormons bought the CA homo/lesbo-phobic vote.

Pretty sure the homo/lesbo phobics already knew which way they were going to vote before the mormon's started spending money.

Bartleby
03-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Farthole23 apparently did my homework. Thanks, Farthole. :tu

Awwww, how cute--you have a troll. And what a clever name!

Winehole23
03-26-2010, 09:18 AM
There's been a rash this morning. I liked gashole the best.

Wild Cobra
03-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Typing in that size font needs to be illegal.

No kidding. Hurts my eyes.

Weed is a natural gift from God, and should be legal.

Wild Cobra
03-26-2010, 10:21 AM
California voters surprised the hell out of me when they shot down gay marriage. So I really don't have a feel for whether this will pass or not.
That didn't surprise me at all. There are even gay people against special rights.

I expect them to pass the bill. Afterall, all types of people smoke it. Many just won't admit it.

Think about this also. Do you think there are very many people who at least don't know of someone who does smoke it?

EmptyMan
03-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Lower crime lol. Have fun getting gangbanged by your bordering states thugs Cali.

Looking forward to seeing the effects. Hope they pass it.

Winehole23
03-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Not that I don't find farthole endearing, I do. I just think gashole is a better name.

Wild Cobra
03-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Not that I don't find farthole endearing, I do. I just think gashole is a better name.
Does wine give you gas?

Winehole23
03-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Not usually, but it can.

Winehole23
03-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Beer's the worst, for me.

coyotes_geek
03-26-2010, 11:11 AM
That didn't surprise me at all. There are even gay people against special rights.

???

There are gays who view gay marriage as a special right? I thought the whole gay marriage issue was about being treated equally, not specially.

The measure failed, so obviously someone out there was against it. I just find it odd that there would be gays opposed to gay marriage.

Winehole23
03-26-2010, 11:31 AM
I don't find anything that WC proposes odd anymore.

It seems dissonant to say almost everything WC says stands out for its passionate eccentricity, but if that is really the case, what is really standing out?

Winehole23
03-26-2010, 12:53 PM
What would be odd would be for WC to say something completely uncontroversial and boring.

Spurminator
03-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Beer's the worst, for me.

Especially homebrew.

Trainwreck2100
03-26-2010, 01:26 PM
???

There are gays who view gay marriage as a special right? I thought the whole gay marriage issue was about being treated equally, not specially.

The measure failed, so obviously someone out there was against it. I just find it odd that there would be gays opposed to gay marriage.

He didn't say marriage he said special rights, ie some gays don't want laws specifically written for gays.

Those same catholic mexicans that voted for the prop 8 will vote for the weed though

coyotes_geek
03-26-2010, 01:33 PM
He didn't say marriage he said special rights, ie some gays don't want laws specifically written for gays.

Those same catholic mexicans that voted for the prop 8 will vote for the weed though

Fair enough. I admit I don't have much of a finger on the pulse of the California voter. Thanks for the insight.

MannyIsGod
03-26-2010, 02:18 PM
What makes you so sure enforcement has ceased or will shortly under Obama?

I'm not completely sure they would expand that to this sort of legislation but it would be interesting to see. The SC has already ruled against the states regarding these laws so until legislation is passed at the federal level they operate under the prayer the feds won't come after them. Bush's justice department went after them very hard, so I'm assuming the next conservative would do the same.

whottt
03-26-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm not completely sure they would expand that to this sort of legislation but it would be interesting to see. The SC has already ruled against the states regarding these laws so until legislation is passed at the federal level they operate under the prayer the feds won't come after them. Bush's justice department went after them very hard, so I'm assuming the next conservative would do the same.

And that's a bad assumption on your part.

How come your congress and Pres don't take the same approach with MJ they just took with health care?

whottt
03-26-2010, 02:58 PM

They shot down gay marriage with the help of the African American block. And Obama doesn't support gay marriage either. Mentioned something about his christian views :tu

spursncowboys
03-26-2010, 05:48 PM

There shouldn't be a law then. Our culture respects laws. The idea is to have minimum laws, unlike say Italy which has a law for every aspect of their lives and enforces few.

Wild Cobra
03-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Changing the historical definition makes it a special right.

They are there.

Wild Cobra
03-26-2010, 06:40 PM
What would be odd would be for WC to say something completely uncontroversial and boring.
Glad I can keep you amused.

baseline bum
03-26-2010, 06:41 PM

Polygamy is the historical definition.

Wild Cobra
03-26-2010, 06:48 PM
Polygamy is the historical definition.
Two different things. However, maybe we should make polygamy legal?

Look at all the single mothers out there on government assistance. If some guy can support more than one wife, then let him rather than the government. I think that's socially why polygamy started. A man had as many wives as he could support as most men had a hard enough time supporting himself. A father wasn't going to give his daughters hand to a poor man.

baseline bum
03-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Of course polygamy should be legal, as should gay marriage. Gay marriage is no more a special right than is the redefined concept of marriage as between two consenting adults of opposite sex.

Wild Cobra
03-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Of course polygamy should be legal, as should gay marriage. Gay marriage is no more a special right than is the redefined concept of marriage as between two consenting adults of opposite sex.
So we disagree. How about we leave it at that. This is a worn out debate that will probably never be resolved in our lifetimes.

Blake
03-26-2010, 07:31 PM

I don't think it's a special right as much as it is an extra right.

All men have the same right to marry women. To allow all men the legal right to marry other men would be an extra right.

Just a technicality, imo.

Wild Cobra
03-26-2010, 07:37 PM
I don't think it's a special right as much as it is an extra right.

All men have the same right to marry women. To allow all men the legal right to marry other men would be an extra right.

Just a technicality, imo.
I can agree with the technicality. I have often argued it is not a law that discriminates because gay men can still marry women, and gay women can still marry men. That too is a technicality, but there is nothing discriminatory about marriage.

Marriage is not needed for two people to love one another. Any legal issues that cannot be contracted between two people should be addressed rather than changing what we accept as marriage.

LakasRool4eva
03-26-2010, 11:15 PM
dang that would be sick if we get legal weed!!!!!!!!! i'll be like this everyday :hat

Buddy Holly
03-26-2010, 11:21 PM

Unless blacks in great numbers and mormons from Utah have a ginormous problem with getting high, it'll probably pass.

Buddy Holly
03-26-2010, 11:27 PM
I just find it funny that the mind altering and death daily death causing alcohol, which is processed and produced, has no problem being legal but a natural plant that doesn't alter the mind nearly as bad or cause anywhere near the same about of deaths is so condemned that you can get major prison time for procession.

Gotta love the hypocrisy of this country/world.

This coming from someone who's never smoked weed in their life and never drank alcohol but has been witness to both their effects on people's lives and bottom line, weed >>> alcohol.

Winehole23
03-27-2010, 01:42 AM
YPRG7W7qQF0

MannyIsGod
03-27-2010, 02:18 AM
And that's a bad assumption on your part.

How come your congress and Pres don't take the same approach with MJ they just took with health care?

Why is it a bad assumption? The next conservative to do it would be the first.

MannyIsGod
03-27-2010, 02:19 AM
There shouldn't be a law then. Our culture respects laws. The idea is to have minimum laws, unlike say Italy which has a law for every aspect of their lives and enforces few.

Um, ok? Then await the repeal of the national law. I'm sure the conservatives will repeal that right? LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL. They're too busy legislating morality, I forgot.

whottt
03-27-2010, 07:53 AM
Why is it a bad assumption? The next conservative to do it would be the first.

Because the most pro-active stance on the legalization of marijuana by any major candidate(including Obama) is held by a Republican....Gary Johnson.

Edit: Yeah there's Nader but he's not ever going to be President so it doesn't do anyone any good.

MannyIsGod
03-27-2010, 08:29 AM
Because the most pro-active stance on the legalization of marijuana by any major candidate(including Obama) is held by a Republican....Gary Johnson.

Edit: Yeah there's Nader but he's not ever going to be President so it doesn't do anyone any good.

It might as well be held by Barney the Purple dinosaur because the next Republican candidate that gets elected president won't be an actual conservative when it comes to the war on drugs.

Obama says stupid shit when it comes to marijuana and there is no denying that his public stance on the issue is pure pandering but his actions are an entirely different ballgame as has been pointed out in this thread.

The GOP isn't flexible at all on morality issues. We've seen it with Gambling laws, Sexual Education, and Drug laws time and time again.

whottt
03-27-2010, 08:42 AM
It might as well be held by Barney the Purple dinosaur because the next Republican candidate that gets elected president won't be an actual conservative when it comes to the war on drugs.
I am not really sure what do with that statement...a true conservative would be in favor of legalizing marijuana as it has been for most of the history and pre-history of this country.

Obama says stupid shit when it comes to marijuana and there is no denying that his public stance on the issue is pure pandering but his actions are an entirely different ballgame as has been pointed out in this thread.

He appears to be catering to corporations more than championing the common man to me.

That was the impression I got when he signed that digital piracy act, which is even more unjust than the drug war IMHO. And this heath care act didn't exactly leave the pharmaceutifcal companies hating him.

The GOP isn't flexible at all on morality issues. We've seen it with Gambling laws, Sexual Education, and Drug laws time and time again.

Things change over time...for instance Nixon was the original affirmative action President...and now Republicans are racists.

MannyIsGod
03-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Sure, overtime anything is possible. 2012 isn't over time. Thats what my comment was about and you're the one that said I was making a bad assumption. I think not.

boutons_deux
03-27-2010, 09:23 AM
"Nixon was the original affirmative action President"

:lol Nixon initiated the Southern Strategy of Repug racism, of going after southern white Democrats who were pissed off about the all the human and civil rights the uppity blacks were getting.

whottt
03-27-2010, 09:24 AM
I don't think so unless Romney wins. He's the only one I think will reverse what Obama did. And I am taking Palin into account as well(based on comments she made about meth amphetamine being the drug she would go after).

Huckabee doesn't care and all the other Republicans like Rand Paul and Gary Johnson are pro-active on either states rights to legislate or outright legalization of it.

Meanwhile...if Joe Biden were to wind up President, I would expect him to reverse Obama's policy.

Keep in mind, the Clinton admin took California to court when they legalized it.

And Arnie is another more or less pro mj Rebublican.

I see more Republicans with a pro MJ stance than I do Democrats, and it's odd because it's not really mirroring the bases.

peteee
03-27-2010, 09:34 AM
The folks who already smoke will still continue smoking weeds despite whether the bill gets passed. It's just because it's illegal that weed dealing is quite a profitable business and attracts many black hands of bandits. To restrict any excessive expansion of weed, the government has way more means to choose than banning it briskly. Government has the power to maintain the high prices of marijuana by levying on such business as marijuana selling, and I'm sure folks would like to choose to buy marijuana from the legal streams rather than from gangstas.

whottt
03-27-2010, 09:40 AM
The folks who already smoke will still continue smoking weeds despite whether the bill gets passed. It's just because it's illegal that weed dealing is quite a profitable business and attracts many black hands of bandits. To restrict any excessive expansion of weed, the government has way more means to choose than banning it briskly. Government has the power to maintain the high prices of marijuana by levying on such business as marijuana selling, and I'm sure folks would like to choose to buy marijuana from the legal streams rather than from gangstas.

Well they can take your property for posessing it...that is bullshit and that is a#1 number one reason it should be decriminalized.

It's also the a#1 reason that any President, or candidate, who admits to having smoked marijuana, who still has his peronal propetery, yet is not in favor of decriminalization...is a fucking hypocrite.

This means Bill Clinton.
This means GW Bush.
And Barrack Obama.

And Clinton coming out in favor of decriminalization at the very end of his Presidency, while to his credit now, proves he was just as full of shit on this as all of them are.

boutons_deux
03-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Marijuana arrests are about 50% of all US arrests (forget about the fact that nearly all marijuana arrests are the racist police going after blacks and browns to imprison them in the PIC for simple possession).

The War on Drugs has $Bs to keep the War on Drugs going, to avoid "losing marijuana" as taxpayer-funded job security.

Always follow the money. It's The One True Religion of the USA.

whottt
03-27-2010, 10:06 AM

:lol Nixon initiated the Southern Strategy of Repug racism, of going after southern white Democrats who were pissed off about the all the human and civil rights the uppity blacks were getting.

Whatwever boutons...Nixon was the first President to realize affirmative action whether you like it or not. Just because he catered to racists to get votes doesn't mean he didn't do it.

You guys need to understsand something about racism...there is no law that says we all have to like each other. And even if there is...you will never realize it without becoming a tyrant yourself.

You are never going to make all white people like all blacks and mexicans.
You are never going to make all black people like mexicans and whites.
You are never going to make all mexicans like whites and blacks.

The best you are going to get is the acknowledgement that we all deserve equal rights and laws that ensure it.

Anything else is bullshit.

And unfortunately, there will always be people that view things through a racial lens...including people like yourself that immediately think racist when you see a white guy saying he is a Republican.

That is the epitome of racial stereotyping. And those that do it are no better than the racists they claim to despise.

whottt
03-27-2010, 10:09 AM
Marijuana arrests are about 50% of all US arrests (forget about the fact that nearly all marijuana arrests are the racist police going after blacks and browns to imprison them in the PIC for simple possession).

The War on Drugs has $Bs to keep the War on Drugs going, to avoid "losing marijuana" as taxpayer-funded job security.

And on this we agree.

But that's actually pretty stupid on our part...we are pretty much the dominant agricultural country on the planet, we could be the world's weed provider and make a fucking fortune doing it.

We could make way more money off it than is made in the black market.

boutons_deux
03-27-2010, 10:33 AM
"dominant agricultural country on the planet"

The dominant agricultural destroyer/polluter on the planet.

Did you hear Clinton regretting this week his enabling US rice businesses to kill Haitian rice growers, so that Haiti became dependent of US predators? It's the same story in other sectors of the Haitian economy.

And it's the same story in other countries around the world. America's We Feed The Planet bullshit is A Lie. The real story is that US taxpayers subsidize US agriculture that is then dumped on the planet to undercut the planet's traditional ability to feed itself from local agriculture, to make the planet dependent on US predatory business that destroy local jobs and local economies.

Then throw in the all Monsanto, Dow, Dupont agri-chemicals and proprietary/monopolistic/sterile seeds, and you get a picture of America fucking up America soil and water and the planet's soil and water, while undercutting and destroying the self-sufficiency of foreign economies.

whottt
03-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Point is even from the capitalistic perspective it makes more sense for it to be legal. Whether you think that is a good thing or not.

Ashy Larry
03-27-2010, 02:16 PM
even though I don't smoke, I've noticed that after leaving a bar after consuming gallons of booze, dude comes home and beats the shit out of his wife.

On the other hand, pothead dude is too busy being bleezed to get up to get himself and sandwich.

Weed should be legal. Tax the hell out of it and BAM, California doesn't have a money problem. I need to run this damn state. Prostitution and weed would be legal.

Vote YES on Proposition P: for Pimpin'

Blake
03-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Whatwever boutons...Nixon was the first President to realize affirmative action whether you like it or not. Just because he catered to racists to get votes doesn't mean he didn't do it.

You guys need to understsand something about racism...there is no law that says we all have to like each other. And even if there is...you will never realize it without becoming a tyrant yourself.

You are never going to make all white people like all blacks and mexicans.
You are never going to make all black people like mexicans and whites.
You are never going to make all mexicans like whites and blacks.

The best you are going to get is the acknowledgement that we all deserve equal rights and laws that ensure it.

Anything else is bullshit.

And unfortunately, there will always be people that view things through a racial lens...including people like yourself that immediately think racist when you see a white guy saying he is a Republican.

That is the epitome of racial stereotyping. And those that do it are no better than the racists they claim to despise.

So are we able to make all white people like all white people?

Apparently some white people appear to some to be racist by helping to push a tanning tax which would some would say discriminates against white women.

Blake
03-29-2010, 11:27 AM

I would also say there are other factors like paper and tobacco lobbyists that keep pushing hard for marijauna to stay illegal.

Plenty of reasons why mj is wrongly illegal.

LnGrrrR
03-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Ron Paul introduced a bill to legalize hemp farming, I believe. And yes, the Governator is open to legalization, or at least, isn't against looking at that question.

TeyshaBlue
03-29-2010, 11:55 AM

If you knew one, single thing about the origins of the Southern Strategy, it would be the first.

Wild Cobra
03-29-2010, 12:50 PM
Things change over time...for instance Nixon was the original affirmative action President...and now Republicans are racists.
We should make something clear about that statement. Affirmative action was originally about insuring equal opportunity. Quota's were never part of it back then.

Wild Cobra
03-29-2010, 12:53 PM
I can think of another positive aspect of legalizing weed.

Maybe the liberals will be too stoned to vote.

Blake
03-29-2010, 02:48 PM
I can think of another positive aspect of legalizing weed.

Maybe the liberals will be too stoned to vote.

too stoned to vote on weed being legalized after it gets legalized?

are you stoned right now?