PDA

View Full Version : Alvin Gentry Learned to Text to Get Closer to Amare Stoudemire

duncan228
03-26-2010, 01:43 PM
Alvin Gentry Learned to Text to Get Closer to Amare Stoudemire (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-alvingentrylearnedto&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

No, you are not reading that headline incorrectly: Alvin Gentry did not know how to text before this season. He’s kind of like my dad, who got really excited about his new iPhone because he could finally send the same texts that his old phone was perfectly capable of doing.

Wait, what’s that, there’s a story here? Oh, yes, there is. Looking to build a relationship with his star in the midst of trade rumors and other off-court distractions, Gentry spent the summer learning how to text, presumably under in an intense month-long training regimen. You should see that dude’s thumbs.

Paul Coro has more at azcentral.com (http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/76908):

Speaking of Stoudemire, the All-Star has pulled Gentry into another social realm—text messaging. Part of Gentry’s attempt to be closer to Stoudemire than his previous coaches was to learn how to text, Stoudemire’s preferred off-court communication line. He started it in the summer and apparently has continued it during the season, judging from Gentry’s recent comments about Stoudemire’s growth of late. […]

"It’s almost like having your own kid. When you see him maturing and getting better in certain areas, you become real proud of him. I just sent him a text and told him how proud I was of him and the progress he’s made not just on the court but off the court also. And, yes, I did text him and it took about 20 minutes to get that out."

I guess you could call Gentry a "textpert" (zing!) because he’s pretty fluent in all the lingo: "WTF" is "where’s the foul?" (usually sent to refs), "LOL" is "leak out left" (for the fast break, you see), and "OMG" is "our main guard" (code for Steve Nash).

You have to hand it to Gentry for learning this new technology. He also has a Twitter account (albeit one he rarely updates), which makes him the only head coach in the league with his own twollowers. He doesn’t tweet much, but it’s another sign of his willingness to learn new things and adapt to the changing media landscape.

Yes, this particularly story is a little goofy, but it’s worth commending Gentry for trying new ways to get in touch with Amare. Not every player requires this kind of technological communication, but Gentry will certainly need to go out of his way to build relationships with his players in the future.

It’s only a matter of time until he watches the entire X-Men cartoon series to learn more about what makes Robin Lopez tick.

HarlemHeat37
03-26-2010, 04:27 PM
Amare can read?..damn..

Xylus
03-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Amare can read?..damn..

Don't be an idiot.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Amare can read?..damn..

I find it funny someone who lives in Harlem would make fun of someone else's IQ.

kamikazi_player
03-26-2010, 04:39 PM
I hope the best for amare! Amare can be a centerpiece that Phoenix can build around, but I doubt they will make any good decisions in the coming years.

HarlemHeat37
03-26-2010, 05:53 PM
I find it funny someone who lives in Harlem would make fun of someone else's IQ.

-I don't live in Harlem anymore..
-Why is that funny?..

It was a joke, relax..I defend Stoudemire on here all the time..don't be butthurt..

mogrovejo
03-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Amare can read?..damn..
:lol

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-26-2010, 06:05 PM
-I don't live in Harlem anymore..
-Why is that funny?..

It was a joke, relax..I defend Stoudemire on here all the time..don't be butthurt..

Not butthurt, just find it funny you take pride in Harlem when Amare is probably smarter than 90% of the people who live there.

HarlemHeat37
03-26-2010, 06:06 PM
Why do you think that?..