PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan question

JamStone
03-26-2010, 02:02 PM
Ok well this topic has been discussed before plenty of times on here before and discussed at length, but I can't find those old threads. So I've had this debate with someone about Tim Duncan in reality playing the center position even though he's still called or labeled as a power forward. Now we all know that it's Tim's preference to be considered a power forward for whatever reason and he'll still go down as the greatest power forward in the history of the game. Just bear with me.

So as Spurs fans, how long would you say Tim has primarily played the center position despite what he's listed as? Or do you still really believe he's a power forward? I know, I know. Just wanted the opinion and perspective of Spurs fans on an old topic like this. Thanks.

Man In Black
03-26-2010, 02:06 PM
He's a post! And it used to be that he'd have a player to interchange inside and outside post positions. Now mostly he plays inside and has been doing so since Oberto was traded away this past summer. When Obie was in SA, then Obie would be the one to do the dirty work inside, he'd set the screens, he'd rebound. Tim would rebound and post up.

NFGIII
03-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Without a true 5 TD has had to take over that position. As of '06 he has played more 5 then previously. When the Spurs had Drob and through Rahso/Nazr he was a PF. After that he started to transition into a 5 out of neccessity, even though the Spurs had Oberto, Elson and Thomas for a couple of years more.

Now the Spurs really don't have a true 5 which makes the fact of Splitter not being here that much more painful. If the Spurs had been able to get him over here when originally anticipated then TD would be at the 4 more with much less wear and tear. IMHO

in2deep
03-26-2010, 02:26 PM
goddam not this shit again

nkdlunch
03-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Ok well this topic has been discussed before plenty of times on here before and discussed at length, but I can't find those old threads.

:rolleyes

Did you even try? Tons of threads on that. And here are your ramblings about the subject last time...

I see Dirk as a power forward. Just because he's a jump shooting power forward, it doesn't make him a shooting guard. And especially over the last few years, he's more of a power forward than a perimeter wing. He does more midpost or high post back downs. And he shoots far fewer three pointers than he used to. He only shoots about 2 a game. Similar to Chris Webber or Karl Malone later in his career, he's a jump shooting power forward, but a power forward nonetheless who plays the high post on offense like many power forwards do. You're not going to see Dirk consistently defend 2-guards in the league.

Tim Duncan plays center. He's the one true low post threat on the Spurs. The Spurs don't post up Antonio McDyess or Matt Bonner. Dice and Bonner are not centers. Duncan plays center on offense and anchors the defense as the center.

To suggest Dirk is a shooting guard simply because you're butt hurt that Tim Duncan is actually a center when he and the Spurs want to call him a "power forward" is being pretty sensitive. Dirk is a power forward. Tim Duncan is a center. Or are Antonio McDyess and Matt Bonner the Spurs' centers? Well, if it makes Timmy and Spurs fans happy and that's how the Spurs are going to call him in their media guide, it must be true.

Killakobe81
03-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Without a true 5 TD has had to take over that position. As of '06 he has played more 5 then previously. When the Spurs had Drob and through Rahso/Nazr he was a PF. After that he started to transition into a 5 out of neccessity, even though the Spurs had Oberto, Elson and Thomas for a couple of years more.

Now the Spurs really don't have a true 5 which makes the fact of Splitter not being here that much more painful. If the Spurs had been able to get him over here when originally anticipated then TD would be at the 4 more with much less wear and tear. IMHO

Great post honest and fair analysis. and it doesnt matter what Tim prefers the truth is the truth ...Duncan really on ly played PF when David was there ...
After that (even with Nazy and Rasho) he played center a lot when they went small especially after Horry came but sometimes when Malik was playing the 4 (no one can honestly call Malik Rose a center)

But I like to say he is the 3rd best center i have seen with my own eyes (behind Hakeem & kareem but better than shaq, david, Ewing and 'Zo) and the best center playing PF ...(much better than Sampson)

and if you must list at PF he is a level above Malone, Barkley Mchale KG and Dirk ..

either way Duncan is an all-time great ...

JamStone
03-26-2010, 02:41 PM
I know what my opinion on it is. I wanted Spurs fans opinions.

I did do a search. If it's not too much trouble, it would be great to get links to those threads. Thanks.

lefty
03-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Ok well this topic has been discussed before plenty of times on here before and discussed at length, but I can't find those old threads. So I've had this debate with someone about Tim Duncan in reality playing the center position even though he's still called or labeled as a power forward. Now we all know that it's Tim's preference to be considered a power forward for whatever reason and he'll still go down as the greatest power forward in the history of the game. Just bear with me.

So as Spurs fans, how long would you say Tim has primarily played the center position despite what he's listed as? Or do you still really believe he's a power forward? I know, I know. Just wanted the opinion and perspective of Spurs fans on an old topic like this. Thanks.

We are very confused.

Since Pop has been playing Findog and RJ at the PF position, or RMJ as a PG, I guess it safe to say that Duncan is a centered shooting power forward.

Muser
03-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Ever since Horry left and Pop has been trying to find his replacement in small ball. Tim plays PF and Center at the same time when Pop puts Jefferson at the 4...

nkdlunch
03-26-2010, 02:48 PM
I know what my opinion on it is. I wanted Spurs fans opinions.

I did do a search. If it's not too much trouble, it would be great to get links to those threads. Thanks.

here ya go boss

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142444&highlight=duncan+center