PDA

View Full Version : Movie prices are going up?

JoeChalupa
03-26-2010, 02:10 PM
I just watched Precious for $1 the other night. :tu No way I'm paying $15-$20 to see a 3-D movie. Yeah I'm cheap but to me I enjoy watching a movie much more in the comfort of my own home. Red Box and Netflix. :tu I'd do the torrent thing but I got some movies from mouse the other day that didn't work at all.
Now I see reports that prices at the movie theatre are going up. :td I still haven't broken down to see Avatar.

Blake
03-26-2010, 02:13 PM

I'm definitely much more selective when going to the movies. Heck, if none of the movies sound good or have nothing but bad reviews, we just don't go.

It'd be nice if they adjusted the price of admission based on the cost it took to make the movie or something along those lines.

Trainwreck2100
03-26-2010, 02:15 PM
I just watched Precious for $1 the other night. :tu No way I'm paying $15-$20 to see a 3-D movie. Yeah I'm cheap but to me I enjoy watching a movie much more in the comfort of my own home. Red Box and Netflix. :tu I'd do the torrent thing but I got some movies from mouse the other day that didn't work at all.
Now I see reports that prices at the movie theatre are going up. :td I still haven't broken down to see Avatar.

they do it right before summer movie season every 2 years

JoeChalupa
03-26-2010, 02:19 PM
I've heard so much about Avatar that now it will be hard for it to live up to all the hype. I'd expect to come out of the theatre with blue skin.

SpursWoman
03-26-2010, 02:22 PM

I didn't see it in 3D, but ... :tu, for sure.

Blake
03-26-2010, 02:24 PM
I've heard so much about Avatar that now it will be hard for it to live up to all the hype. I'd expect to come out of the theatre with blue skin.

there are definitely enough avatar threads around to get others' opinions, but my opinion is that it came pretty close to living up to my expectations.

Great special effects and action with the story ripping off Pocahontas or Dances with Wolves....(which is really not a terrible thing)

Not an all time great movie, but definitely worth the price, imo.

SpursWoman
03-26-2010, 02:25 PM

We were captivated the entire movie ... which is a heck of a thing considering how long it was. And the only thing that might turn blue is your ass, from sitting on it for so long without getting up. :lol

Blake
03-26-2010, 02:27 PM
I didn't see it in 3D, but ... :tu, for sure.

I'm not sure you missed much in 3D.

The flowers floating around and the holographic computer screens looked like I could reach out and touch them, but I was expecting spears to being thrown in my face.

Trainwreck2100
03-26-2010, 02:29 PM
im gonna go back to doing what i did as a kid, by one ticket and see like 4 movies

Scola
03-26-2010, 03:07 PM
I went to the movies about 2 weeks ago, it was $9.50 for an Adult & $6.00 for a child.

SpursWoman
03-26-2010, 03:16 PM
im gonna go back to doing what i did as a kid, by one ticket and see like 4 movies

My mom used to do that with us when she'd take us to the movies when we were little. It was a really long time before I knew that you weren't supposed to do that. :lol

tlongII
03-26-2010, 03:16 PM

How much did you give mouse for those movies that didn't work?

Scola
03-26-2010, 03:23 PM
I think its worse in England, they have to pay like $15 or $20 / person.

Frenzy
03-26-2010, 03:44 PM
Just go during the day and it will be regular price now. Most movie places make money off the food and drink anyway.

That's the only time i'm thankful my wife had a big ass purse.

JoeChalupa
03-26-2010, 03:48 PM

I haven't been in quite awhile but when I go always go in loaded with my own snacks and get a cup of water and throw in some wyler's. I probably will go see Avatar though if it is still showing.

JoeChalupa
03-26-2010, 03:50 PM
How much did you give mouse for those movies that didn't work?

I said "thanks" and that was all but then I remembered he owed me some money and grabbed some speakers and hauled ass out of there.

Mixability
03-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Sometimes I just prefer waiting on the blu-ray release since the food is cheaper and the picture quality is so much better.

kamikazi_player
03-26-2010, 04:31 PM
If you have a costco membership, you can get tickets cheaper over there instead of buying it at the theater.

z0sa
03-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Sometimes I just prefer waiting on the blu-ray release since the food is cheaper and the picture quality is so much better.

:wakeup

JoeChalupa
03-26-2010, 04:56 PM
I also keep hearing all the rave of the blue-ray but I'm too cheap to ever invest that kind of money on and HDTV and blue-ray stuff. Probably if I were to enjoy HDTV and blue ray for a day or two then I probably wouldn't want to go back to watching my standard TV and VHS movies. But for me it is the quality of the movie not the clarity of the picture that makes a movie worth watching.

And yeah, I always go, when I do, to the early shows and get the whopping $1 off the regular price.

Mixability
03-26-2010, 05:00 PM
I also keep hearing all the rave of the blue-ray but I'm too cheap to ever invest that kind of money on and HDTV and blue-ray stuff. Probably if I were to enjoy HDTV and blue ray for a day or two then I probably wouldn't want to go back to watching my standard TV and VHS movies. But for me it is the quality of the movie not the clarity of the picture that makes a movie worth watching.

And yeah, I always go, when I do, to the early shows and get the whopping $1 off the regular price.

I had put off upgrading for a while too, but I'm a gamer and "needed" a PS3 to complete the big 3. But now I HAVE to see the new releases on blu-ray, if there's no other option, then yeah, I'll watch it on DVD.

760Spursfan
03-26-2010, 05:02 PM
my GF has an expired military ID so we get movie tickets anywhere from 6.50 to 8 bucks a piece which works out pretty well for us. If not I usually watch some of the movies on quicksilverscreen.com. This has saved me quite a bit of money in the past year.

Wild Cobra
03-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Movie prices are going up?
Haven't they always?

eyeh8u
03-26-2010, 07:55 PM
these people are idiots, if they make movies 3 dollars or 4 pirating will decrease.

DesignatedT
03-27-2010, 12:41 AM
here in college station, tx movie tickets are only $4.50.. pretty reasonable compared to palladium in san antonio charging 10.00 a ticket

Cant_Be_Faded
03-27-2010, 10:33 AM
now that avatar blew up every shit movie that wasn't even designed for 3d is going to come out in 3d

so they're going to up 3d prices to make more moolah

MiamiHeat
03-27-2010, 02:55 PM
HDTV's are only really useful to me for video games.

for movies, i don't give a shit

SnakeBoy
03-27-2010, 08:46 PM
I've heard so much about Avatar that now it will be hard for it to live up to all the hype.

That's what I thought but it did live up to the hype. You should go see it. 3d was cool but I had a little bit of a headache afterward.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-28-2010, 03:25 PM
alamo drafthouse

everything else is piss

DAMN, moneybags! :greedy

HarlemHeat37
03-28-2010, 06:54 PM
I go every once in a while with the GF..I usually just download and burn them, but I guess it's fun going there once in a while too..12$ for a ticket x 2 + food hurts though..

JoeChalupa
03-29-2010, 02:15 PM
I just red boxed New Moon last night.

Mark in Austin
03-29-2010, 02:46 PM
alamo drafthouse

everything else is piss

I tend to agree; my only complaint is that for the everyday quality you get the food is overpriced - especially when there are so many great places to eat in Austin.

However,
this type of thing is why they kill every other theater: (http://www.originalalamo.com/Show.aspx?id=7162)

An all day Food & Film Event featuring rare 35mm screenings of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM & INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE back-to-back!

There are very few perfect triple installment series in the history of film. In fact, it's practically inarguable that the INDIANA JONES movies comprise the single most entertaining three-part saga in cinema. Thank goodness they never ruined this untouchable trilogy by producing another, lesser entry!

To celebrate the flawlessness of ALL THREE of the INDIANA JONES movies, we're pleased to present the most white-knuckle, whip-crackin', globe-spanning feast/festival event the Alamo has ever seen! Join us for an all-day triumph of ark-findin', heart-stealin', grail-gettin' and Nazi-meltin' along with a delicious meal from each country Indy rampages through on his way to the the climax of the THIRD and FINAL film! This once-in-a-lifetime experience will truly be an event to remember, to be enjoyed (and digested) by the most powerful fans of big screen adventure, all proud to live in a LaBeouf-free universe!!
(Zack)

The complete menu is HERE...and you'd better believe that there will be dishes from each continent Indy & co. set foot on, from South American favorites to Egyptian delicacies to the Holy Grail of desserts, all prepared by Alamo chefs John Bullington and Elijah Horgan!:

1 - Fresh Catch
Striped Bass roasted in a tangerine sauce over wild forest mushrooms on mixed jungle greens

2 - Mousaka
Lamb, dates, in ancient Egyptian spices on roast tomato

3 - Snake Curry
Slow cooked snake and plantain in madras curry served with black rice on banana leaf

4 - Eyeball Soup
Roast pearl onion soup

5 - Fuhrer’s Fave
Richardson Farm’s Pork cutlet breaded and fried with sauerkraut and spaetzle

6 - Monkey Brains!!!
Sweet coconut risotto, strawberry reduction, lychee nut, monkey skull

...And for all you thrill-seekers: don't be surprised if some beetles end up as a side dish!

ALSO!: Feel free to grab a ticket with our INTERNATIONAL WINE/COCKTAIL FLIGHT for an additional $25 per person, and TAKE THE WILDEST RIDE!!

Kid Policy: 18 and up; Children 6 and up will be allowed only with a parent or guardian. No children under the age of 6 will be allowed.

Screenings (click on a show time to buy tickets):
Sunday, April 11, 2010

JoeChalupa
03-29-2010, 04:17 PM
I still haven't been to those sit and eat theaters but I've heard good things.