PDA

View Full Version : Richard Jefferson or George Hill?..

HarlemHeat37
03-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Which one of these 2 will be more important for the Spurs potential run(whether it ends in the 1st round or the WCF), Hill or Jefferson?..

Coming into the season, this would seem like a silly question..looking at it now, it's legitimate..RJ has heavily disappointed, but he still has the bigger name, he was brought in to be that 4th guy and I'm sure they still expect him to step up like that when the time comes in the playoffs..

We all saw the potential in Hill last year, but I have to say I'm surprised by how quickly he's progressed like he has as a scorer this season..he's been undoubtedly better than Jefferson this season..

Which one of these 2 players will be more important for the Spurs run?(don't say they both have to play well, because that's obvious)..

DesignatedT
03-26-2010, 11:25 PM
Obviously both but i would have to say Jefferson... Im more interested in seeing how Hill responds to Tony coming back and fitting back into that SG/Backup PG role instead of being the main ball handler out there.

Jefferson is more valuable just because if he doesnt perform at the SF position we then rely on bogans and mason to fill in there.

mogrovejo
03-26-2010, 11:41 PM
I guess it'll depend on the matchups, but if I had to dump one now it'd be Jefferson. What exactly does he bring that can't be replaced more or less decently?

lurker23
03-26-2010, 11:55 PM
At this point it's gotta be Hill. He's played more consistently, more confidently, and just flat out better than RJ all season long. He's a big part of what the Spurs are doing, and at this point has to be the 4th option on this team, and some nights as high as the 2nd option.

All this said, if the Spurs have any chance whatsoever of getting to the WCF or beyond, RJ has to step up his game. More than anything, this means consistency. If the Spurs play 18 playoff games, 4 nights of 15 points with 14 nights of less than 10 points isn't going to cut it. He needs to score 10+ in 2/3 of his games, while crashing the boards and playing solid defense, with good rotations.

DesignatedT
03-27-2010, 12:09 AM
we just cant have games where rj is going 0/4 or 1/5 with 6 pts... i seriously don't understand sometimes.

ducks
03-27-2010, 12:14 AM
the key will be tp and rj

hill will be there
tp in the past after experience was there
question mark is because of injury

jjktkk
03-27-2010, 01:06 AM
I'd say Jefferson. I've liked waht I've been seeing of RJ the past month. The team as a whole is starting to get into a groove.

nkdlunch
03-27-2010, 01:12 AM

hill will be there

damn ducks, u a genius.

I agree 100% with Ducks. if TP is 85+% and RJ shows some signs. we got a good chance in round 1

spursfaninla
03-27-2010, 01:17 AM
If Hill and Jefferson play how they have been playing with Tony out, we are VERY good.

Is Tony watching? Can he adjust to having this many back court and wing scorers, and utilize them/make them better?

That is a big question. I am curious to see how it all works. We might end up seeing Tony/manu/hill play sometimes; if Hill can steal minutes guarding sf (guarding James tonight), an undersized but fast scoring lineup with dice and Duncan might work.

Danny.Zhu
03-27-2010, 01:39 AM
There will not be any run.

spursfaninla
03-27-2010, 02:07 AM
Well, there are good reasons to think that, but if Parker comes back and the rest of the Spurs team plays like they are playing now, they are pretty good, and could compete with everyone but the lakers (still too short).

MannyIsGod
03-27-2010, 02:54 AM
Hill. He's a better defender and he's able to create more (kinda).

kaji157
03-27-2010, 05:22 AM
Jefferson, no doubt about it, if he buys the system, on how he needs to be an important defensive playr and if he can give us 14 ppg with that defense the Spurs will be athought team to beat.
Having a good defensive player that can score is scary at least for other teams as he can cover a good player and scoree on the other end.

Muser
03-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Jefferson, if both are at their best game he is the better player. We need the Jefferson who can potentially score 20 a game and grab 6/7 rebounds to do anything.

MannyIsGod
03-27-2010, 08:55 AM
Jefferson, no doubt about it, if he buys the system, on how he needs to be an important defensive playr and if he can give us 14 ppg with that defense the Spurs will be athought team to beat.
Having a good defensive player that can score is scary at least for other teams as he can cover a good player and scoree on the other end.

Yeah I agree that having a good defender who can score is a scary prop for other teams. Thats exactly why I pick Hill. Jefferson isn't as good a defender and in this system he has yet to prove he can be as good a scorer as Hill.

Jefferson, if both are at their best game he is the better player. We need the Jefferson who can potentially score 20 a game and grab 6/7 rebounds to do anything.

I wish Hill could score 20 points in a game.

Oh wait.

MannyIsGod
03-27-2010, 08:57 AM
Jefferson has 5 inches and about 45lbs on George Hill and grabs a whopping 1.6 more boards a game than Hill. They are virtually identical in every other stat with the exception of shooting percentage where Hill holds a noticeable advantage over Jefferson.

elbamba
03-27-2010, 09:24 AM
The weakness from last year is that the Spurs needed an addition to the big three. One player that could score 15 when one of the three is not playing well. However, the need has been to completely replace a member of the big 3 and the truth is that neither Hill nor Jefferson are better than any one of the three, when completely healthy.

For the Spurs to have a chance, Parker needs to return to last year status, Manu needs to keep playing like he has, pre-injury 2008 status, and Duncan has to play like his 2007 form. If that happens, the role players just have to play defense and hit open jumpers.

panic giraffe
03-27-2010, 09:53 AM
i would have to vote hill.

true RJ has been stepping it up lately, and the fact that we need someone consistant at the SF position, but what i'm taking into account is TP being back for the playoffs. yes, last night was a great win, but if you look at the bench scoring, it was horrible. that kind of first team heavy minute game may be great in burst, but pathetic in a seven game serious where EVERYONE has to produce. so re-starting tony and having hill/blair bring it off the bench would produce a more consistant game imo.

xellos88330
03-27-2010, 10:02 AM
I say RJ. Hopefully he will be able to play alongside TP. If not, then the SF position is seriously weakened.

Flux451
03-27-2010, 11:03 AM
I think HIll, both of course, but HIll. He spreads the floor if he is hitting his threes. We saw in the LA game when he is on, the spurs are tough. RJ, we expect nothing from him right now, but if he is on, then it is a plus.

pjjrfan
03-27-2010, 12:11 PM

hill will be there

I agree, and it's not questioning Tony's value, but not having played for a month or more plus getting back into a groove might happen right away, but then it mights take some games, and at this point, there is really no more time to tinker with stuff. As far as RJ his game is still in question, it looked like RJ was right on with playing alongside Manu, but these last few games Manu has been there RJ hasn't. His rebounding has been a shot in the arm, but his scoring and his defense, damn, I didn't think he was that weak of a defender, but he's not even a top 5 defender on our team. I may be overly generous with my ranking on RJ.

wildbill2u
03-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Jefferson has 5 inches and about 45lbs on George Hill and grabs a whopping 1.6 more boards a game than Hill. They are virtually identical in every other stat with the exception of shooting percentage where Hill holds a noticeable advantage over Jefferson.

Too bad Jefferson hasn't used that physical advantage to really shine this year while George seems to make progress with every game.

When we wind up putting Hill on guys like Durant and James for defense it shows a pathetic lack of defensive ability in Jefferson when his physical size is so much bigger.

Dave McNulla
03-28-2010, 02:33 AM
i vote for george jefferson
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:BRMZQVUE_6S38M:http://buzzworthymedia.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/george_jefferson.jpg
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://politicalderby.com/wp-admin/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/george-jefferson.jpg&imgrefurl=http://politicalderby.com/2008/10/31/the-08-race-through-a-1970%25E2%2580%2599s-sitcom-prism/&usg=__Q6KpZRNQCqi5MtzsSt--RUole_E=&h=320&w=240&sz=16&hl=en&start=3&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=L-zs13So5lJQwM:&tbnh=118&tbnw=89&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgeorge%2Bjefferson%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den %26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26tbs%3Disch:1
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://politicalderby.com/wp-admin/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/george-jefferson.jpg&imgrefurl=http://politicalderby.com/2008/10/31/the-08-race-through-a-1970%25E2%2580%2599s-sitcom-prism/&usg=__Q6KpZRNQCqi5MtzsSt--RUole_E=&h=320&w=240&sz=16&hl=en&start=3&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=L-zs13So5lJQwM:&tbnh=118&tbnw=89&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgeorge%2Bjefferson%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den %26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26tbs%3Disch:1

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-28-2010, 02:38 AM
Hill. He has recently taken his game to a new level and is breaking out as we speak. Hope he comes up big in the playoffs because that means he will probably be a scary Spur for years to come. Right now, I want to see building for the future, and playoff seasoning for young players is a part of that.