PDA

View Full Version : ESPN 1st and 10: Biggest Threat to LA in West

kjhip1
03-27-2010, 10:24 AM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5031115

Its crazy because I think Skip can be hilarious but he makes a good point about the Spurs not playing at full strength yet. He has not jumped off his pick of the Spurs unlike so many posters on this website. Call me crazy but the Spurs are getting better at the right time. Gino is amazing and the Spurs big three will pull out all the stops this playoff season. It seems as though whenever the Spurs struggle all media outlets quickly seem to discount them, but let's how they look with a full healthy roster come playoff time! :flag:

fyatuk
03-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Yep. most of the Spurs are playing well at the right time. Strangely, Mr. Consistent Tim Duncan has been one of the more inconsistent Spurs in recent weeks. He needs to get back to being our own Old Reliable.

The other thing that matters is how much Tony Parker's return throws off the teams rhythm. The Spurs don't have the capability of winning in the playoffs without Parker, but his return might throw off Hill, Manu, and RJ.

Personally if everyone is playing like this when he comes back, I leave Parker on the bench and let him go completely haywire when he's on the floor. It's not like you'd want him playing 35 minutes a game right away anyway.

mytespurs
03-27-2010, 11:37 AM
I'll save my thoughts until after this tough stretch of games.....right now, they're 1-1 and another tough game at Boston tomorrow...which Spurs team will show up? The one that folded against the lakers or the ones that put it together and beat the Cavs?

J_Paco
03-27-2010, 12:00 PM
I'll save my thoughts until after this tough stretch of games.....right now, they're 1-1 and another tough game at Boston tomorrow...which Spurs team will show up? The one that folded against the lakers or the ones that put it together and beat the Cavs?

The tough stretch started against Atlanta, so the Spurs are 2-2. I definitely think that the game against Boston is very winnable.

pjjrfan
03-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Well, no matter how well Manu plays, if Tony comes back and can start to contribute like his old self, if the supporting cast plays well, without Tim's inside game there's no way we will beat LA, Dallas, Utah or Denver. Not in a 7 game series. Timmy's got to be healthy and effective, it would help if McDyess, Bonner and Mason could find their strokes, but even with everything clicking, having Tim solid in the paint will make us a true contender, the way he is playing now we are first round fodder.

Man In Black
03-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Considering that one of the Nets victories this past month is against the Celtics, I would say that that game is a winnable game.

Also consider the following:http://twitter.com/celtics/statuses/11123765955

Doc says Perk's knee has been bothering him for a while; he probably won't play on Sunday. Says Nate wanted back in game, was held out.
about 14 hours ago via Tweetie

wildbill2u
03-27-2010, 01:13 PM
It's perfectly obvious that this team needs Manu starting and playing big minutes. If Pop puts him back on the bench as a super sixth man after TP returns, he is making a mistake.

You play your best against their best and then your rotation players against theirs if you want to win in this league.

Unfortunately, Pop has screwed around with rotations this year and lost the right chemistry in a mad plan for two equally balanced teams.

spurs10
03-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I like the way Skip thinks. It will be interesting how Pop uses his lineups after TP returns with both his legs and hand healed. If Bogans, Hill, and RJ can continue to improve, we might be pretty strong with Tony, Manu, and Tim as the formidable Big 3 once again. Though I should know better than to get my hopes up, but who was it said " never underestimate the heart of a champion".....though I'm not really concerned with their hearts...keep healthy Spurs!!!

blizz
03-27-2010, 01:50 PM
love skip. it's crazy how they discounted everyone but the 3 way tie for 2nd. i mean c'mon....those teams are only a few games ahead of the rest in the loss column so after the lakers, the entire west is pretty much on the same level. i don't know if anyone can beat the lakers, but from what i saw the last two nights, if we put a solid 48 minutes together, we can beat anyone. i also agree about the 8th spot. i'd rather have them out of the gates then waste a round or two struggling to advance only to get killed when we meat them. lets come out the gates and hit em in the mouth, go for the knock out, build momentum and rattle the collective West's cage.

Russ
03-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Though I should know better than to get my hopes up, but who was it said " never underestimate the heart of a champion".....

Black people took the N word and made it theirs -- it took the sting out.

I want to see Pop in June holding up the trophy, saying "Don't ever underestimate the heart of champion."

That would forever defuse that phase. And make it ours. :flag:

TJastal
03-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Yep. most of the Spurs are playing well at the right time. Strangely, Mr. Consistent Tim Duncan has been one of the more inconsistent Spurs in recent weeks. He needs to get back to being our own Old Reliable.

The other thing that matters is how much Tony Parker's return throws off the teams rhythm. The Spurs don't have the capability of winning in the playoffs without Parker, but his return might throw off Hill, Manu, and RJ.

Personally if everyone is playing like this when he comes back, I leave Parker on the bench and let him go completely haywire when he's on the floor. It's not like you'd want him playing 35 minutes a game right away anyway.

Yup, as much as I'm hopeful, I can't shake this fear of Parker's return mimicking a "Jameer Nelson" type situtation that totally fukked the magic last year; a guy who has not played in months who is not going to be prepared for intense playoff action compounded by a coach who won't have the guts to sit him.

Whisky Dog
03-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Yeah, I like the way Skip thinks. It will be interesting how Pop uses his lineups after TP returns with both his legs and hand healed. If Bogans, Hill, and RJ can continue to improve, we might be pretty strong with Tony, Manu, and Tim as the formidable Big 3 once again. Though I should know better than to get my hopes up, but who was it said " never underestimate the heart of a champion".....though I'm not really concerned with their hearts...keep healthy Spurs!!!

Please don't ever use that phrase again if you're a true Spurs fan. Ugh, 1995 all over again :depressed

TD 21
03-27-2010, 02:20 PM
What is with this bizarre fear of the Mavs by most Spurs fans? The Spurs couldn't beat the most overrated team in the league in a series, why? I'm not saying it would be easy or saying the Spurs should be favored, but I wouldn't even go as far as to call it an upset if the Spurs beat the Mavs.

The Nuggets are vulnerable with Martin being out and Karl being gone. I'd say the only team in the West the Spurs couldn't beat in a series is the Lakers and that's more predicated on match-ups than talent.

It probably won't all come together (Duncan not laboring, Ginobili and Hill not wearing out, Parker in some semblance of game shape/rhythm), but if it does, it's not inconceivable that this team could make the conference finals, so long as they don't run into the Lakers before then.

spursfan1000
03-27-2010, 03:50 PM
I believe Spurs will win tommarow against the Celtics, Manu and Duncan have to show up though, if either one dosen't do good, low chances spurs will win. Hopefully Boston put Finley on Manu lol.

FkLA
03-27-2010, 04:25 PM
What is with this bizarre fear of the Mavs by most Spurs fans? The Spurs couldn't beat the most overrated team in the league in a series, why? I'm not saying it would be easy or saying the Spurs should be favored, but I wouldn't even go as far as to call it an upset if the Spurs beat the Mavs.

Agreed.

They beat us in 09' without a huge part of this team, I mean seriously were we supposed to make noise without Manu? Mavs beat an undermanned team they were supposed to beat no ownage of any kind there. In 06' they got us in one of the best playoff series this decade that couldve gone either way. Id hardly call one playoff series loss ownage. Spur fans have no reason to fear a team that is destined to choke year in and year out as much as some of them do.

WildcardManu
03-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Hopefully Boston put Finley on Manu lol.

:lol forgot about the traitor.... He should be fuel enough maybe to beat the Celtics.

03-27-2010, 05:44 PM
spurs, nuggets, and mavs are not threats against LA. for some reason, the lakers always elevate their game when they play against the spurs, especially kobe. they thrive in beating the spurs. the biggest threat will have to be some dark horse like the jazz or thunder, similar to the rockets last year who could have stole it from the lakers.

Naelven
03-28-2010, 12:29 PM
I totally agree with the guy in the video.

Final will be San Antonio VS Charlotte

San Antonio will win in 7.

NFGIII
03-28-2010, 04:59 PM
It's amazing that for the last two + seasons many have been wanting Finley to leave - either by trade (for LeBron, Kobe or Wade of course) or just an outright release. Dude wasn't getting any PT and saw that he was stuck at the end of the bench. He asked for a release and got it and goes to another team - the Celtics. Now Malik gets some minutes on the court instead of Finley and people are bitching and calling him a triatior?

Damn he did the Spurs and Malik a favor! I give him props for getting out of here and letting the Spurs develop younger talent. I don't care what he thought and his motives. The only thing that interested me was his absent and now I have it.

And the way he was playing I would think the Spurs would want him to be on the other team - any team but theirs. He will have his moments but Finley is essentially gone. If he does play next year it will be most likely for limited minutes and the vet min. He isn't worth more or for that matter he isn't worth that.

He had a nice run in the NBA but once his ability to score dimished like it did before our very eyes his value tanks dramatically.

Thank you Finley! For your contributions in the '07 championship run and for finally leaving.

mingus
03-28-2010, 05:20 PM
i'd rather have finley than Mason right now. i don't think i'm going out on a limb for saying that or anything. there are times when the Spurs have desperately needed someone in there to knock down threes and it just hasn't happened. that's the one thing that Finley can bring to a team at this point in his career. i think it was a bad move buying him out. they should have bought fuckin mason out, who isn't servicable in any way. despite what people here think manu alluded to it in hisinterview about Finley: Finley also had a leadership aspect. that's something that this team can use, as Manu is th only one out there who seems to vocalize anything.

eric365
03-28-2010, 06:04 PM
We are the biggest threat !
We just beat them in the 1st round :lol
http://www.nba.com/dancebracket/2010/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

DubMcDub
03-28-2010, 07:14 PM
You guys are hilarious. After a loss, the Spurs are lottery bound. After a win, they're the biggest threat to beat the Lakers.

murpjf88
03-28-2010, 07:24 PM
You guys are hilarious. After a loss, the Spurs are lottery bound. After a win, they're the biggest threat to beat the Lakers.

Stay tuned. After tonight, we could lottery bound. Nobody knows the direction the carousel will blow.

DJ Mbenga
03-28-2010, 07:29 PM
i still say the biggest threat to the lakers are injuries.