PDA

View Full Version : Forsberg: "Finley's knowledge should help Celtics"

biba
03-28-2010, 07:39 AM
Finley's knowledge should help Celtics

By Chris Forsberg ESPNBoston.com Updated: March 28, 2010

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/columns/story?columnist=forsberg_chris&id=5035093

Unless the Celtics and Spurs meet in this year's NBA Finals, Michael Finley's extensive knowledge of San Antonio's playbook might be rather useless in Boston.

Heck, it might not even hold much value for one night.

Finley, who spent the past three-plus seasons with the Spurs before requesting and receiving his release earlier this month, got thrust into coach mode Saturday as Celtics coaches had him demonstrate one set San Antonio is likely to run when they visit the TD Garden Sunday night (ESPN, 8 p.m.)

Paul Pierce suggested Celtics advance scout Jamie Young didn't have to worry about his job as, "It didn't look like [Finley] knew too many of the plays," joked Pierce.

Fortunately for the Celtics, they brought Finley in for the boost they thought he could provide on the court, believing he had more left in the tank than San Antonio thought.

After averaging 3.7 points per game on 38.1 percent shooting in 25 appearances for the Spurs this season, Finley is contributing 5.8 points per game on 55.1 percent shooting in 11 games for Boston. A bit of a roll of the dice when the Celtics signed him for the prorated veteran's minimum, Finley has cemented himself a coveted spot in Boston's rotation by providing instant offense off the bench.

But that doesn't mean the Celtics didn't mind picking his brain a bit Saturday for a little competitive edge in Sunday's game, particularly as they prepare to likely be without the services of center Kendrick Perkins (left knee tendinitis).

"If [Finley] doesn't know [the playbook], then we're [in trouble]," said Rivers. "He should know it as much as anybody ... He has to be our best scout [Sunday] -- he should be better than Jamie."

Finley downplayed how much knowledge he could impart to Boston, noting that, Young and his staff do such a good job, they might as well have played for the Spurs, too.

"With the advanced scouting we have here, they will have the team ready and prepared with or without me," said Finley. "I can maybe help them a little bit, but my insight can't give them enough to determine the game."

Finley also downplayed the significance of facing his old team, noting that he didn't depart San Antonio with any of the animosity that lingered after stops in Phoenix and Dallas earlier in his career.

"This is a different situation," he said. "When I left my previous two teams -- Phoenix and Dallas -- I was a little bitter, especially when we played them. [Sunday], there's no bitterness. I still have love for those guys and the organization. It'll be a good game -- good to see my old friends."

But even as Finley said all the right things about Sunday's matchup, he couldn't help but admit that a "W' would be particularly satisfying against a Spurs team that all but phased him out, despite the team's struggles at times this year.

"I still want to beat them, believe me," said Finley. "I don't want to go out and roll over dead for them. It's still my job to go out there and do my best to give my team the best chance to win the ball game. Although we're friends, I want to destroy them. I still want to beat them. That's not going to change. The fact that we're friends, it's something we can laugh and cheer about before or after the game, but that 48 minutes, it's all about business."

Finley's been all business in Boston, his performance enough to take some of the load off Ray Allen's shoulders, limiting his minutes late in the year.

What's more, Finely's solid play comes at a time that free agent splashes Marquis Daniels and Rasheed Wallace struggle to give the second unit a spark. Barring a sudden end to this honeymoon period, it appears Finley has locked up a spot in the postseason rotation, even as Rivers shortens the rotation and bench minutes.

"With Finley it's easy, because he can shoot," said Rivers. "He can shoot today, he can shoot tomorrow, he can shoot the next day. Other teams know that. So when he's on the floor, you're guaranteed one thing: Even if he doesn't make a shot, there's going to be a guy standing next to him."

Rivers has often talked about how fast the 37-year-old Finley has picked up the playbook in Boston. It doesn't matter how much of San Antonio's playbook he can relay before Sunday's game, particularly if he simply keeps playing at this level.

"[Finley] doesn't make a lot of mistakes," said Rivers. "Maybe he's going too slow to make mistakes. But he is solid, a solid player. Off the bench, you really need that."

Chris Forsberg is the Celtics reporter for ESPNBoston.com. Follow him on Twitter. ESPNBoston basketball columnist Peter May contributed to this report.

biba
03-28-2010, 07:42 AM
same Forsberg article:

Sound familiar?

When Paul Pierce looks at the Spurs, he admits it's a bit like looking in a mirror.

"You talk about a team that everybody respects, based on who they have there and what they've done," Pierce said after Saturday's practice, acknowledging the similarities in age, experience, and injuries between the two teams this season.

"They've been a bit of a sneaky team this year. They haven't been playing well, then you look up and they beat Cleveland [Friday] night, the team with the best record in the NBA. Even though they've been hurt and injured, and a lot of people are writing them off, they're still a great team."

Sound familiar, Paul?

"Well, I don't know what's been said about them, but I know they've been playing through injuries like us," said Pierce. "It's a team that's been talked about being a contender like us, so maybe there are some similarities, but they're definitely a team you can't count out."

Celtics coach Doc Rivers said he wouldn't overlook the Spurs based on their playoff seeding -- currently seventh in the West -- because their 43-28 record isn't much worse than Boston's 47-25 mark this year.

"They've had some tough [injuries], key ones as well," said Rivers, noting the absence of Tony Parker with a broken right hand. "They've had the same problem [as the Celtics], with guys out, then coming back and finding their rhythm. But they're starting to play well. [Los Angeles'] Kobe [Bryant] basically took over in the fourth quarter for the Lakers to pull that one out [Wednesday], and [the Spurs] beat Cleveland [on Friday]. [Sunday] will be a heck of a game."

boutons_deux
03-28-2010, 08:37 AM
As if Fin's "knowledge" was more useful than hours of game vids all the teams have on all the other teams.

There are no secrets, everybody knows what everybody else does.

SenorSpur
03-28-2010, 09:37 AM
If Finley sees the court for the Celtics on Sunday night, it will only benefit the Spurs.

Whisky Dog
03-28-2010, 09:52 AM
Same old Finley, might make something early but will choke if Rivers is foolish enough to play him late.

raspsa
03-28-2010, 09:57 AM
So Finley will probably be guarding RJ and possibly Hairston. It will be interesting to see if the Spurs attack him and test his defense.

jimo2305
03-28-2010, 10:05 AM
its funny my buddies who are bball fans in other states obviously dont watch as many spurs games as we do but i tell you true story.. we were conversating and they thought finley and mason would be good additions to their bench :lol: .. i was trying to convince them how relieved spurs fans in general were about losing finley..

Dave McNulla
03-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Paul Pierce suggested Celtics advance scout Jamie Young didn't have to worry about his job as, "It didn't look like [Finley] knew too many of the plays," joked Pierce.
spurs felt the same way.

SenorSpur
03-28-2010, 02:13 PM
So Finley will probably be guarding RJ and possibly Hairston. It will be interesting to see if the Spurs attack him and test his defense.

Whoever Finley will be guarding, that player should have no problem scoring points.

duncan228
03-28-2010, 02:26 PM
The Boston Herald's version.

Doc Rivers relies on Michael Finley’s advice (http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?&articleid=1242882&format=&page=1&listingType=celt#articleFull)
By Steve Bulpett / Celtics Notebook

Doc Rivers stopped Michael Finley as he was leaving the Garden late Friday night.

“Remember,” he said, “you’re giving the scouting report tomorrow. . . . I’m serious.”

The Celtics acquired Finley for his shooting, but they will gladly take advantage of any insights he might have into this evening’s opponent, the Spurs. However, after yesterday’s practice, Paul Pierce wasn’t so sure how much the Celtics got from Finley regarding his former club.

“He gave us some little pointers,” Pierce said with a smile. “It didn’t seem like he knew too many of the plays though. I don’t know.”

“If he doesn’t know it, we’re screwed,” Rivers said. “He should know it as much as anybody.

“He’ll be more (help today). We just went over one San Antonio thing today. He has to be our best scout (today). He has to be better than Jamie (Young, the Celts’ advance scout), for sure.”

Finley, who worked a buyout with the Spurs, appreciated the humor, but he said of his San Antonio knowledge, “It won’t help that much. I think the advance scouting we have here will have the team already prepared with or without me. So I can maybe help them a little bit, but there’s not much that my insight can give them to determine the game.”

He does know that Tim Duncan guy is pretty good.

“He’s a great basketball player; he’s even a better person,” Finley said. “He was one of my closest friends, was one of the persons that I talked to before everything pretty much hit the fan.

“This is a different situation. I think when I left my previous two teams, Phoenix and Dallas, I was a little bitter, especially when I played them. But (tonight) there’s no bitterness. I still have love for those guys and the organization, so it’ll be a fun game. It’ll be good to see my old friends again.”

Added Finley: “I still want to beat them. . . . Although we’re friends, I still want to go at them. I still want to destroy them.”

The Celtics and Spurs are similar in veteran nature. The Texans are without starting point guard Tony Parker (broken right hand), but they’re still coming up large.

“They’re a team that everybody respects based on who they have there, based on what they’ve done,” Pierce said. “And they’ve been like a sneaky team this year. You think they haven’t been playing well, then you look up and they beat Cleveland (Friday) night - the team with the best record in the NBA.”

Mixed bag

It appears as though Nate Robinson (sprained left ankle) will play tonight, while Kendrick Perkins (left knee tendinitis) will sit out his second straight game.

“I think Nate’s pretty good,” Rivers said. “He looked good today. We didn’t do a lot, but he moved around pretty well, so I think Nate will play. And I don’t think Perk will play.”

Perkins’ return will be determined by how soon the discomfort subsides.

“You know, he may play (tonight), but I don’t think he will,” Rivers said. “Right now I would say no. The way we’re looking at it, it gives him three extra days because it’s the only break we have where we have two days off after a game. It just gives him a longer rest.

“It was bothering him. It was affecting his play. Obviously if it was the playoffs he’d be playing, no doubt. But it’s not, so I think we have to take advantage.”

Rivers added that if Robinson’s ankle swells today, he will sit.

Passing Hondo

Pierce made 10 free throws Friday, giving him 5,373 for his career and passing John Havlicek (5,369) for most in franchise history.

The captain is averaging 6.0 free throw attempts per game (fewest since 4.1 his rookie year), but he has put up 35 in the last four games.

“I just think I’m healthy now,” Pierce said. “I’m being more aggressive going to the basket. When I was injured, I was hesitant getting into the lane and didn’t really have a lot of lift. I think now that I’m getting my legs back under me, I’m able to get that explosion and get to the rim and draw contact.”

FeZZy
03-28-2010, 02:42 PM
Haha didn't we try this in the 2006 playoffs against the mavs when we had him at the 4 to start our games and we lost haha Finley is a bitch.

baseline bum
03-28-2010, 02:50 PM
What's his advice going to be? Oh here Doc, this is the part where Pop guards the other teams best player with Finle.... oh wait, nevermind.

lefty
03-28-2010, 03:32 PM
With age comes knowledge

NickiRasgo
03-29-2010, 12:29 AM
lol

OrEmuN
03-29-2010, 03:59 AM
The True Forsberg Report

Unless the Celtics and Spurs meet in this year's NBA Finals, Spurs' extensive knowledge of Michael Finley might be quite useless.

However, it may be good enough for one night.

Finley, who spent the past three-plus seasons with the Spurs before requesting and receiving his release earlier this month, is likely to be the focal point of attack whereby the Spurs coaches will target

Paul Pierce suggested Celtics coach Doc Rivers does not need to worry about his job as, " He should just bench Finley and keep him there or we will lose by at least 20 points… " Pierce foretold

Unfortunately for the Celtics, they brought Finley with the severe misconception that he could provide on the court, believing he had more left in the tank than San Antonio thought. Since his pickup, Finley has cemented himself a providing instant offense off the bench for the OPPOSING team.

But that doesn't mean the Celtics didn't mind playing him a bit on Saturday. "If Finley plays, it will be a blowout and we will get some much needed rest for our old rattling bones." mused Pierce

Finley downplayed how much knowledge he could impart to Boston, noting that, he actually does not know any plays that Spurs run

"I have no idea what I was doing at Spurs as I was busy stealing wine off Pop's cellar during most of the practices." said Finley.

Finley also downplayed the significance of facing his old team, noting that he didn't depart San Antonio with any of the animosity that lingered after stops in Phoenix and Dallas earlier in his career.

"This is a different situation," he said. "When I left my previous two teams -- Phoenix and Dallas -- I was still a useful role player. [Sunday], there's no bitterness on my end. I still have done nothing for the organisation for past 3 years but yet they keep paying me"

"With Finley it's frustrating, because he cannot defend," said Rivers. "He cannot defend today, he can't defend tomorrow, he can't defend the next day. Other teams know that. So when he's on the floor, you're guaranteed one thing: Even if he tries, there's going to be a guy scoring on him."

Rivers has often talked about how slow the 37-year-old Finley has been on his rotations

"[Finley] doesn't do anything right," lamented Rivers. "Maybe he's going too slow to contest any shot."

TJastal
03-29-2010, 06:08 AM
Rivers has often talked about how slow the 37-year-old Finley has been on his rotations

"[Finley] doesn't do anything right," lamented Rivers. "Maybe he's going too slow to contest any shot

Well looks like Doc is starting to see the real Finley :lol

That 2nd unit is looking pretty dilapidated right now especially if he actually is planning to give Finley 20-25 minutes a game for the rest of the year. Combine that with Wallace, a lazy POS 3pt chucker and a midget ball hog like Robinson and its no wonder they are so out of sync. That team was stupid to trade away House, who was a bigtime clutch player for them.