PDA

View Full Version : Hubie Brown

jermaine
03-28-2010, 08:57 PM
I swear I love his commentating! He just know everything! If he's not doing your game then you suck! I'll take Marc Jackson & Van Gundi but you gotta love Hubie!

Spurs Brazil
03-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Hubie is the best, much better than Van Gundy/Jackson

Juanobili
03-28-2010, 09:08 PM
that dude knows his shit

Nathan Explosion
03-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Hubie hasn't met a timeout he didn't like. He very rarely criticizes, just praises everyone.

TwAnKiEs
03-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Hubie is the man.... If he wasnt so old, he could probably take a team to a championship... You tha man Hubes! :toast

HarlemHeat37
03-28-2010, 09:18 PM
He's the only National TV "analyst" that I can tolerate, other than MAYBE JVG..I didn't get to listen to him tonight though, I got the Boston feed somehow, I prefer it though..I love listening to Heinsohn..

Amuseddaysleeper
03-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Heinsohn is the biggest homer in the NBA, come on Harlem.

Though I do like his praise of Ginobili this game.

HarlemHeat37
03-28-2010, 09:24 PM
He is, but his rants entertain me..I also love anybody that publicly shits on NBA refs all the time..

ffadicted
03-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Hubie is baddass, but Van Gundy and Jackson are so funny, idk... and Van Gundy knows what's he's talking about and is always legit about everything, he's harsh haha

Killakobe81
03-28-2010, 09:27 PM
/hubie does lean towards the positive but I think he is one of the best ...

Udokafan05
Hubie is the best

smeagol
"I like what I see . . . "

The dude likes everything

Amuseddaysleeper
03-28-2010, 09:28 PM
He is, but his rants entertain me..I also love anybody that publicly shits on NBA refs all the time..

:lol fair enough

FeZZy
03-28-2010, 09:51 PM
hubbie is boss

DesignatedT
03-28-2010, 09:52 PM
hubie is legit.

pjjrfan
03-28-2010, 09:52 PM
I like Hubie but i'm still ticked off at him on how he hung all over the Pistons in the 05 series. Hey, some things just don't die.:lol:lobt2::lol

JR3
03-28-2010, 09:57 PM
Everything has been said.. I just want to add that I too can only listen to hubie and sean... everyone else is sad. Wish we had more guys like Hubie.

TD 21
03-28-2010, 09:59 PM
I used to like Van Gundy and Jackson before they found out that Bryant watched the broadcast back after a finals game in '08 and they got scared of criticizing him from that point on. Since then, the over the top ass kissing has been sickening as has Van Gundy's constant nagging.

Brown is hilarious. He must have said "yeah I like this, mainly because..." at least 100 times tonight.

He was definitely going for the Pistons in '05. He's more than likely an old fan of Brown's (Larry) and probably liked the fact that the Pistons were an old school team, in terms of the toughness they played the game with and the fact that no individual superseded the team.

lefty
03-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Hubie is amazing

I want Hubie to move to TNT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spursox
03-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Hubie with a Ceasar cut or the tight curl?

lefty
03-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Hubie with a Ceasar cut or the tight curl?
Aaah the CBS days

alchemist
03-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Hubie is my favorite, you don't get that child like talk from Mark/Gundy and still get educated on the game. Plus the man will never slob on a player like every commentator does now days.

jermaine
03-28-2010, 10:07 PM
He don't dick ride the Cavs! Hell he's blunt about anybody making mistakes or taking bad shots. I watch gms sometimes to hear him talk. I list to marc Jackson & JVG to laugh. I wish Stuart Scott & that nigga that talk to much that talks loud with the fucked up edge up, that is a basketball annalist. I think he's from NY. Well I wish they did some games togather. It would be geto as hell! "Holla at a playa when you see 'em in tha streetz"! Lmao

HarlemHeat37
03-28-2010, 10:08 PM
JVG has really fallen off from last season..Mark Jackson has always been a closet Lakers fan(or has to due to demands from his superiors at ABC/ESPN), but JVG has really become one too..

TD 21
03-28-2010, 10:10 PM
They got to be being told by their superiors, no other explanation. People involved in pro sports usually lose their allegiance to their home town team, which in the case of these two is New York. Why would either give a fuck about the Lakers? Yet it seems they do.

mazerrackham
03-28-2010, 10:13 PM
he's soooooo ugly though

Spursox
03-28-2010, 10:15 PM
I like him because he is honest and educates the viewers on certain scenarios and plays by explaining them so that a caveman can understand.

lefty
03-28-2010, 10:21 PM
I used to like Van Gundy and Jackson before they found out that Bryant watched the broadcast back after a finals game in '08 and they got scared of criticizing him from that point on. Since then, the over the top ass kissing has been sickening as has Van Gundy's constant nagging.

Brown is hilarious. He must have said "yeah I like this, mainly because..." at least 100 times tonight.

He was definitely going for the Pistons in '05. He's more than likely an old fan of Brown's (Larry) and probably liked the fact that the Pistons were an old school team, in terms of the toughness they played the game with and the fact that no individual superseded the team.
Remember how JVG backed down from his comments during the 2008 Finals?

After saying that a ref told him how he would officiate a game during the Rockets-Mavs series, he backed down live on ABC " I never said this and that" and he looked like he someone put a gun to his head

bigfan
03-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Hubie, hell of a NBA TV guy and a hell of a good coach in his day too.

Biggems
03-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Dr Jack is super intelligent too, but his delivery is rather boring. His style is more of a lecture than commentating. A strict monotone voice........absolutely zero inflection.

Hubie is my favorite, followed by Bill Walton.

HarlemHeat37
03-28-2010, 11:10 PM
Bill Walton was by far the best IMO, sucks that he's gone..

admiralfats
03-29-2010, 01:38 AM
He always refers to a player as being possessed by all of us, i.e. "Manu is one of the best we have in the game. He can take you off the dribble, but he can also create for his teammates." For some reason, I really get a kick out of him referring to players and coaches as the "best we have."

Hubie's definitely one of the best we have in the game.

mingus
03-29-2010, 01:45 AM
Hubie verbally goes to bed with every player. other than that, he's good. but as has been said, he can be too positive.

mingus
03-29-2010, 01:47 AM
at least he's consistent though.

Doug Collins will start the game off objectively, then all praise whichever team is winning, how great they were, blah blah blah.

Sisk
03-29-2010, 01:47 AM
marc jackson sucks. ANYONE is better than him, i'd rather listen to that ESPN deportes guy call a game than him

UnWantedTheory
03-29-2010, 01:48 AM
Not to be the buzz kill...but Hubes irritates me most of the time. What game did he commentate lately? I suppose I am on the wrong stations, cuz I have not heard from him lately.????? Is it that direct TV sucks? LOL.

UnWantedTheory
03-29-2010, 01:49 AM
marc jackson sucks. ANYONE is better than him, i'd rather listen to that ESPN deportes guy call a game than him

Me toooo...and I cant understand the espanol.

SenorSpur
Hubie is the absolute best, IMO. Listening to him is like listening to an audio encyclopedia on the game of basketball. He was an excellent coach and you can just tell he loves teaching the game. He doesn't play favorites and he doesn't appear to have any biases. Brown just gives it to you straight. The dude really knows his shit.

Xevious
"The painted area" :lol

I love Hubie. He's one of the best.

EricB
03-29-2010, 01:52 AM
Hubie Brown JVG and The #1 guy regularly would be perfect.

Mark Jackson is a joke and a half.

ShoogarBear
03-29-2010, 01:56 AM
Hubie hasn't met a timeout he didn't like. He very rarely criticizes, just praises everyone.

There should be a Hubie drinking game where you get a shot every time he says "you gotta like . . . " or "I like this"

Sisk
03-29-2010, 01:59 AM
Me toooo...and I cant understand the espanol.

yeah, me either haha

Cane
03-29-2010, 02:02 AM
I'm a fan of Hubie as well, the dude knows his shit.

EricB
03-29-2010, 02:06 AM
There should be a Hubie drinking game where you get a shot every time he says "you gotta like . . . " or "I like this"

What is this, the quickest to alcohol poisoning or something? :lol

TD 21
03-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Remember how JVG backed down from his comments during the 2008 Finals?

After saying that a ref told him how he would officiate a game during the Rockets-Mavs series, he backed down live on ABC " I never said this and that" and he looked like he someone put a gun to his head

Yeah, I remember that. He was clearly towing the company line, but I genuinely believed the gist of what he was saying. I don't think he was alluding to some widespread bias against Yao specifically, more so physically dominant players, such as Yao, O'Neal, Howard, etc. and how they're treated by officials. It would make no sense for the league to have anything against Yao.

Bill Walton was by far the best IMO, sucks that he's gone..

Completely agree. His schtick was both original and hilarious.

"John Stockton is the greatest person in the history of Western civilization".

jimo2305
03-30-2010, 07:36 PM
yea hubie's great.. you learn alot about the game when u listen to him talk..

remember when he coached grizzlies? they were beasting back then.. i know he coached the hawks too in the past but i dont remember if they won a chip with him.. i think they did

Dex
03-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Skeletor definitely knows his stuff. :tu

FeZZy
03-30-2010, 08:06 PM
he is so old he coached the Kentucky Colonels in the ABA :lmao I love him though

FeZZy
03-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Ok ... If I'm Dwight Howard, I know that I'm only 23 but I never know if I will make it back this far again. I must make the most of my opportunities in the paint and finish strong at the rim. On the defensive end, I need to contest everything. If I'm a force, I know that I have a 75% chance of winning the title

twincam
03-30-2010, 08:43 PM
Hubie can disect any NBA team in detail. The man is a genius in the game of basketball.

While most only look at 30+ pts per game players shooting UNDER 50%, Hubie looks at the quality players and show their true effective numbers that make a team, a qualilty team.

taps
03-30-2010, 11:19 PM
YI don't think he was alluding to some widespread bias against Yao specifically, more so physically dominant players, such as Yao, O'Neal, Howard, etc. and how they're treated by officials.

I agree and that explains why Dirk gets so many calls :toast

Chico
03-30-2010, 11:57 PM
No love for Reggie Miller?

TD 21
03-31-2010, 12:49 AM
I agree and that explains why Dirk gets so many calls :toast

Nowitzki is the most inexplicable case of getting calls that I've ever seen. It's definitely not marketability. Is the league that thrilled to have a white star? Because if that's not it, then I'm clueless as to what it is. He does the opposite of what generally draws calls, which is to say he goes away from contact. Fadeaways, fallaways, mid-range catch-and-shoot/pullups make up the vast majority of his repertoire, yet he awkwardly flails, his hair bounces around and lo and behold, he appears at the line at a striking rate.

This might be the most inexplicable line I've ever seen...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200605130DAL.html

Sean Cagney
03-31-2010, 12:58 AM
Hubie is one of my faves ever, period.

Obstructed_View
03-31-2010, 11:09 AM
Hubie sucks. Can he say "I like that" more fucking times?

lefty
03-31-2010, 11:10 AM
So because he says that frequently, he sucks?

Obstructed_View
03-31-2010, 11:21 AM
So because he says that frequently, he sucks?

No there are plenty of reasons that I think he sucks. I was citing the one example that makes me wish Jeff Van Gundy were doing color.

Sean Cagney
03-31-2010, 02:14 PM

Now, aiight........... LOL he says that alot too, but he is a great announcer IMO.

Obstructed_View
03-31-2010, 04:00 PM
As many complaints as good color guys like Jeff Van Gundy and Bill Walton get, I'm constantly amazed at how much of a pass Hubie gets from many of those same people. In addition to the aforementioned "I like..." statements, which he probably made fifty times in the Boston game last week, he's also the only person I've ever seen that makes a statement about a play, and then when the replay shows that he's completely wrong, points out that you can clearly see that the replay proves his point, and he's been doing that for years.

I miss some of his old gems, though: "Manu Ginobili.......has tremendous strenth."

FeZZy
03-31-2010, 07:20 PM
haters gonna hate

The Truth #6
03-31-2010, 08:48 PM
Still prefer Marv Albert and Fratello.

hitmanyr2k
03-31-2010, 08:54 PM
Hubie Brown is the man. I've been learning the game from him for 30+ years. Anytime I watch a game on ESPN I'm praying it's Hubie commentating. The rest are painful to listen to. All commentators should strive to teach the game rather than try and bring attention to themselves with bonehead catch-phrases. The only criticism I can say about the man is he will RARELY admit he's wrong even if replay shows it :lol

blkroadrunners
03-31-2010, 09:02 PM
No love for Reggie Miller?

:lmao

TJastal
03-31-2010, 11:07 PM

He's smart about basketball in general, but he uses the same stupid slogans over and over and over..........

Every time I hear him say "painted area" instead of simply "the paint" I get annoyed. So that's about 20x a game I'm getting annoyed listening to him roughly.

DesignatedT
03-31-2010, 11:10 PM
Im surprised there is no Fire Pop.Hire Hubie! threads yet.

TJastal
03-31-2010, 11:16 PM
Nowitzki is the most inexplicable case of getting calls that I've ever seen. It's definitely not marketability. Is the league that thrilled to have a white star? Because if that's not it, then I'm clueless as to what it is. He does the opposite of what generally draws calls, which is to say he goes away from contact. Fadeaways, fallaways, mid-range catch-and-shoot/pullups make up the vast majority of his repertoire, yet he awkwardly flails, his hair bounces around and lo and behold, he appears at the line at a striking rate.

This might be the most inexplicable line I've ever seen...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200605130DAL.html

I call b.s.

In any game that's ever mattered in his career, Nowitski has gotten shit on by the nba refs. The only reason they treated him like god against SA back in 2006 was to prevent the spurs from repeating as champions (and become a dynasty) and at the same time help one of their spoiled little posterboy shits (D-whistle) Once Dirk was safely past SA they took a nice dump on both him and the mavericks.

TD 21
03-31-2010, 11:28 PM
I call b.s.

In any game that's ever mattered in his career, Nowitski has gotten shit on by the nba refs. The only reason they treated him like god against SA back in 2006 was to prevent the spurs from repeating as champions (and become a dynasty) and at the same time help one of their spoiled little posterboy shits (D-whistle) Once Dirk was safely past SA they took a nice dump on both him and the mavericks.

April fool's isn't until tomorrow.

TD 21
03-31-2010, 11:51 PM
He's smart about basketball in general, but he uses the same stupid slogans over and over and over..........

Every time I hear him say "painted area" instead of simply "the paint" I get annoyed. So that's about 20x a game I'm getting annoyed listening to him roughly.

He's old school. Like most people, he has verbal crutches, such as "yeah, I like that", "now just keep an eye on", "that was an explosion", "the painted area" and "mainly because". Speaking of verbal crutches from basketball announcers, listen to Van Gundy and how many times he starts off a sentence with "to me" or "and to me". Just in case we thought someone else was speaking for him.