PDA

View Full Version : RU: Spurs to sign Alonzo Gee for the season

Bruno
03-29-2010, 04:30 AM
SOURCE: Spurs to sign Alonzo Gee for the season

Ridiculous Upside by Scott Schroeder on Mar 29, 2010 3:54 AM EDT

Alonzo Gee is expected to sign with the San Antonio Spurs for the rest of the season, as well as an unguaranteed contract for next season to secure his rights over the Summer as well as for vet camp next year, according to sources with knowledge of the negotiations.

Keep reading → (http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2010/3/29/1394643/source-spurs-to-sign-alonzo-gee)

timtonymanu
03-29-2010, 04:32 AM
I dont know how contracts work but is this like how the Spurs signed Marcus Williams last season?

raspsa
03-29-2010, 04:40 AM
We already have Malik Hairston.

jiggy_55
03-29-2010, 05:08 AM
Interesting! Good to see the Spurs are busy trying to fill up a team for next season and also checking out new young talents for the future. Temple, Jerrels, and now possibly Gee. Love it

TDMVPDPOY
03-29-2010, 05:08 AM
if this guy works out, then we dont have to waste another draft pick looking for a backup PG and concentrate on a big or long sf

jiggy_55
03-29-2010, 05:22 AM
if this guy works out, then we dont have to waste another draft pick looking for a backup PG and concentrate on a big or long sf

Don't know him too well, other than some stats from Toros and Wizards, but he is a 6-6 SG. Why do you say we don't need a backup PG anymore? Is he a good ballhandler?

Deimosfobos
03-29-2010, 05:23 AM
Is he good at all?

Rito3d30
03-29-2010, 06:45 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=4232

Bruno
03-29-2010, 07:05 AM
Some random thoughts:

- I'm really surprised Gee didn't signed with Wizards for the end of the season. He was averaging 7.4ppg in 16.5mpg with them. I wonder what happened.

- Props to Holt for keeping his wallet open. Spurs could have been cheaper to fill the necessary 13rd roster spot and have spend $300K on Jerrels and Gee.

- The 3 players recently signed (Temple, Gee and Jerrels) were college players last year. I like to see Spurs spending money/roster spots on young players instead of on some well below average vets .

- Unlike some posters, I haven't been that impressed by Hairston. He is playing with energy/hustle but hasn't show a lot of things. I think Spurs will let Hairston compete with Gee and Temple during SL and training camp for a roster spot. I see the Gee and Temple signing as signs that Sours aren't that sold on Hairston.

- I'm surprised to see Spurs having a full roster with 10 perimeter players and only 5 bigmen. It's even more surprising given that 2 of these bigmen (Blair and Mahinmi) haven't played a single playoff minutes. I wonder if there is something to read behind Spurs not signing a vet or a a prospect big.

- Toros could have a great team for the playoffs.

- Jerrells, Hairston, Temple and Gee are/will likely all signed to unguaranteed contract for next season. It's a damn great trade asset. It's like Spurs had a $4M trade exception in July. Spurs could do a great delayed draft day trade or moratorium trade with a team looking at more ca pspace.

Chieflion
03-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Alonzo Gee is awesome. Good to see the Spurs sign this guy up.

Bruno
03-29-2010, 07:39 AM
RU has changed its title to "Spurs offer to sign Alonzo Gee for the season" and has added to the article that there is a slight chance Wizards finally decide to re-sign him.

We will see but even if end up with Wizards for the end of the season, Spurs offering a contract to Gee allow to draw some conclusions.

spursbird
03-29-2010, 07:45 AM
- Toros could have a great team for the playoffs.

In fact, after the join of Marcus Williams, the Toros had been a perfect team for NBDL. Maybe if Hairston joined in, it would be an NBA level team.

tp2021
03-29-2010, 08:15 AM
C'mon Phila, share with the rest of the class.

Bruno
03-29-2010, 09:26 AM
RU has changed its title to "Spurs offer to sign Alonzo Gee for the season" and has added to the article that there is a slight chance Wizards finally decide to re-sign him.

We will see but even if end up with Wizards for the end of the season, Spurs offering a contract to Gee allow to draw some conclusions.

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2010/3/29/1394643/source-spurs-to-sign-alonzo-gee

[Note by Scott Schroeder, 03/29/10 9:04 AM CDT ] UPDATED: I have received confirmation that Gee is indeed signing with the Spurs.

Mel_13
03-29-2010, 09:46 AM
- Unlike some posters, I haven't been that impressed by Hairston. He is playing with energy/hustle but hasn't show a lot of things. I think Spurs will let Hairston compete with Gee and Temple during SL and training camp for a roster spot. I see the Gee and Temple signing as signs that Sours aren't that sold on Hairston.

Possibly, but keeping Gee or Temple doesn't have to mean that they don't keep Hairston. It's also possible that they keep Hairston plus a player who is eligible to be assigned to Austin.

EricB
03-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Well this is odd. I don't feel like explaining why though.

I'd love to hear why :lol

ohmwrecker
03-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Well this is odd. I don't feel like explaining why though.

Good. I don't see the problem here. I think the Spurs are basically trying to keep this kid away from another team and bring him into camp next year for a long, hard look. The Spurs can't really have too many young, athletic swings lined-up for next year. Especially, if they are going to still try and move Jefferson. I think RJ's performance in the playoffs will determine how this plays out, but having options is not really a problem. It wouldn't hurt if he bulked up a little in the off-season. Dude is a toothpick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAu8vjks53c

Boo Yah!

Solid D
03-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Nice hops on this kid. He's made a couple of highlight shows while playing for the Wiz including a buzzer-beater.

With regard to Hairston, Pop seems to like his defense. If you noticed in the Cleveland game, Pop had Malik in there for matchups very late in the game when the pressure was on.

Alonzo will need to show good fundamental defense and not just an ability to steal or show flashes of D.

urunobili
03-29-2010, 11:43 AM
With Mason likely gone next year... it's ok to have another wing player available...

So Hairston already took Fin's roster spot
and Gee will likely compete to get Mason's one

phxspurfan
03-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Yeah I definitely see this as a panic offer. I've been watching Gee's stats since he get called up (for fantasy purposes) and he has started the last couple games for the Wiz and put up decent numbers. I think the Spurs are afraid they're letting another one go like they're infamous for doing at this point, and think Gee can compete with Temple and Hairston for a spot. Let's see if the Wiz are serious about him.

jiggy_55
03-29-2010, 12:28 PM
A confirmation from Mike Monroe has been made as well. Looks like this is pretty much official it seems.

Blackjack
03-29-2010, 12:29 PM
With Mason likely gone next year... it's ok to have another wing player available...

So Hairston already took Fin's roster spot
and Gee will likely compete to get Mason's one

Unlike Bruno, I don't view this as being in any way detrimental THC's cause. The Spurs will be in need of low-cost options to fill out the roster and putting together a nice group to choose from is both smart and wise.

One thing that intrigues me, though, is Temple. I've really be been pretty high on him as a defensive player for a while now but I never viewed him as a potential third point (along the lines of what the Spurs tried to execute with Mason). If he can truly turn himself into that type of player at the NBA level ... that would seem to be ideal from a Spurs perspective; very much how Williams last year would have been if he could have panned out.

Temple could potentially be the Mason replacement; there's no reason they have to have a one-dimensional gunner in the role (if they intend on keeping it).

I personally believe Hill's future is at the point, much in the same way Tony plays the position, but maybe the Spurs aren't sold; or maybe they just like the flexibility/versatility a Temple/Williams/etc. (potential wing-sized point guards) could bring to the equation. It'd represent the type of Triangle-like backcourt that Hill should be able to thrive in or create a little bit of a Snow-Iverson effect for stretches when paired. (I'm not comparing the players, just roles and responsibilities.)

Although I haven't been pleased with the lack of playing time for Malik, especially early, I've only been encouraged by what the coaching staff has said and the actions from Pop when he has given him a look. They've entrusted him to go out and get stops at the end of games and quarters, often cold, and they've looked to him to defend the likes of Gallinari, Jamison and a few others, which goes to show they believe he's got some useful versatility that's not provided on the roster (or in the pipeline for that matter, really).

Malik's a wing, a utility player, and Gee's more of the standard 2-guard that would assume a different role; Temple and Jerrells both offfer a different skill set and potential role as well.

The Spurs have put together a nice little stable to choose from and decide what exactly they want in terms of skill set (to compliment a team that includes Hairston :smokin).

EricB
03-29-2010, 12:50 PM
Gee is a scorer and when in college (alabama, thanks to the fiance watched alot of his games last year) he would be the go to guy for the tide and put up some damn good numbers.

Interesting to see how he'll do this summer in the SL.

HarlemHeat37
03-29-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm more encouraged than anything, I don't think it affects Hairston..Malik has produced in the majority of the rotation minutes he's been given, I can't see them being shaky about him at this point..

I like Gee, he's a different player than Hairston IMO..they're both extremely athletic, but I view Gee more as a scorer and Hairston more as a defender/clean up player..

I'm encouraged because the Spurs are finally looking at young, athletic wings to compete for roster spots..

It'll be interesting to see what the Spurs do with Bogans in the off-season and how they use our draft pick..those 2 moves could dictate what happens with Hairston/Gee/Temple(I haven't been impressed with Temple at all, especially on D, but he's a nice SL/Training camp prospect)..

Mel_13
03-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Wizards Loss of Gee is Spurs Gain
3/29/2010 12:15 PM ET By Matt Moore

The Washington Wizards lucked out. Finally. In a season of misery and abject failure, the Wizards made one singularly solid roster move, not brilliant, but solid. They signed Alonzo Gee, a 22-year-old rookie out of the D-League, D-League All-Star, top call-up prospect, great scoring ability, good length and highly coachable to a ten-day contract ,and then, after dropping double digit points, was signed to a second ten-day. Fine, they wanted to see what they would get.

Then this weekend, Alonzo Gee scored 19 points in a loss to Charlotte. His per-40 numbers are phenomenal for a rookie out of the D-League. Coach Flip Saunders announced they planned to sign Gee for the rest of the season. Yay! A success story!

Whoops......

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/03/29/wizards-loss-of-gee-is-spurs-gain/

ChumpDumper
03-29-2010, 02:01 PM
- I'm surprised to see Spurs having a full roster with 10 perimeter players and only 5 bigmen. It's even more surprising given that 2 of these bigmen (Blair and Mahinmi) haven't played a single playoff minutes. I wonder if there is something to read behind Spurs not signing a vet or a a prospect big.I think the main issue is the looming payroll slash coming next season and the hoped-for signing of Splitter. The Spurs' offseason moves outside of the draft look fairly circumscribed if they think Splitter is actually coming. There was only one project big that I thought was worth trying. Miami already took him and he's so raw he'd probably spend all of next season in the D-League.

- Toros could have a great team for the playoffs.They could actually win it all.

wildbill2u
03-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Interesting! Good to see the Spurs are busy trying to fill up a team for next season and also checking out new young talents for the future. Temple, Jerrels, and now possibly Gee. Love it

We're loading up with guards. Wonder if we will trade TP since Hill is developing so well? He's the only asset that is tradeable for a really good front line player.

murpjf88
03-29-2010, 02:46 PM

This guys not a good fit at point guard. He has good size and stregnth and can shoot pull up jumpshots, but is NOT a creative playmaker with the dribble.

EricB
03-29-2010, 02:50 PM
We're loading up with guards. Wonder if we will trade TP since Hill is developing so well? He's the only asset that is tradeable for a really good front line player.

No way in hell.

murpjf88
03-29-2010, 02:58 PM
He better not be a cheap alternative to Ginobili.

ChumpDumper
03-29-2010, 02:59 PM
He better not be a cheap alternative to Ginobili.They're stocking up on cheap players so they can afford Ginobili.

8FOR!3
03-29-2010, 03:01 PM
What we need to do is sign Shane "The Hammer" Heal, anybody remember him??

Bruno
03-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Malik's a wing, a utility player, and Gee's more of the standard 2-guard that would assume a different role; Temple and Jerrells both offfer a different skill set and potential role as well.

The Spurs have put together a nice little stable to choose from and decide what exactly they want in terms of skill set (to compliment a team that includes Hairston :smokin).

That's the part where I disagree.

Hairston, Temple and Gee are different players. Temple is a SG while Hairston and Gee are more SG/SF. Temple is the most defensive minded of the 3 and Gee the most offensive minded.

However, at the end, they are 3 young players basically playing the same position. Do you honestly think Spurs will keep all 3 only because they have slightly different skillsets? Maybe since none of these 3 players is a shooter, Spurs will add a young jump shooting SG this summer and keep these 4 players.

Gee, Hairston and Temple will fight for roster spot(s) this summer and fall. Last fall, Hairston and Marcus Williams fought for one, even if they had different skillsets.

Blackjack
03-29-2010, 03:33 PM
No, I only brought up the different skill sets for Hairston and Gee (and there is a differentiation IMO) to say it's not an either-or.

I do believe Malik will be with the Spurs ... the Gees', Temple's and Jerrells of the world will probably be fighting it out for one spot; three players that bring their own, different potential as it pertains to them individually and the team, and the Spurs will be able to decide what direction they want to go.

Bruno
03-29-2010, 04:12 PM
IMO, Hairston isn't clearly above the other players with a non-guaranteed contract for next year.

Spurs are spending a lot of money with all these signings. I don't see Spurs doing all these efforts just to fill an hypothetical end of the bench roster spot behind Hairston.

TD 21
03-29-2010, 04:19 PM
Just due to the lack of depth at the position on the Spurs (even in the draft) and the probability that the Spurs will go young and cheap, I assume Jerrells has the best opportunity to make the team next season (followed by Gee, then Temple).

I'm not saying he should have been signed, but it's interesting that Williams (who the Spurs seemed sold on being an NBA player last year around this time and coming into training camp) was not signed to fill one of the three remaining roster spots. They acted like it was difficult to cut him and if they had just ha 16 spots available, he'd have been on the team. Then they clear up three spots and still don't sign him.

The Spurs will probably add very little money to the payroll this summer. It's an either or when it comes to McDyess and Splitter. Ginobili and Bonner will probably re-sign and make similar money to what they do now, as will Bogans if he returns. Other than that, the rest of the roster will almost certainly be fleshed out with young, cheap players (including the 1st and possibly 2nd round pick).

LakerHater
03-29-2010, 04:56 PM
I thought he was on a team already!?!?!? http://board.freeones.com/images/smilies/dunno.gif

Obstructed_View
03-29-2010, 05:05 PM
- I'm surprised to see Spurs having a full roster with 10 perimeter players and only 5 bigmen.

You must be new to Spurs basketball. Welcome aboard.

Chomag
03-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Good to see Spurs Fo still working to lock up young talent. However would this kid be competeing for anything other then a spot on the Roster for DNP's ala Ian, and Hairston?

Maybe he is our future center? lol

ChumpDumper
03-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Good to see Spurs Fo still working to lock up young talent. However would this kid be competeing for anything other then a spot on the Roster for DNP's ala Ian, and Hairston?This season, yes.

Next season, who knows?

This isn't a signing for this season.

timaios
03-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Any news about James Gist ?

FeZZy
03-29-2010, 06:12 PM
He's an O.Gee. ORIGINAL GANGSTA!

Spurs Brazil
04-03-2010, 12:39 PM
M.Stein - http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-100402-03/coaching-moves-ahead

Interesting trend we're seeing with players called up from D-League, most notably in San Antonio.

Seven recently promoted D-Leaguers -- six of them in the West -- quietly received non-guaranteed contracts for next season when they were signed for the rest of this season by their new NBA employers.

Curtis Jerrells, Garrett Temple and Alonzo Gee have secured contracts worth $762,195 next season with the Spurs if they can make San Antonio's roster in training camp.

Ditto for Sundiata Gaines and Othyus Jeffers in Utah and Reggie Williams in Golden State.

The lone Eastern Conference callup who falls into this category is Chicago's Chris Richard, who has a non-guaranteed deal with the Bulls worth $854,389 next season if Richard can snag a roster spot.

In most cases, players will collect between $10,000 to $100,000 in guaranteed money in such deals even if they don't make next season's team. Teams, in exchange, get a whole summer and training camp to take an extended look at the prospect, while also creating a small expiring contract that can function as a minor trade asset.

The lure of NBA money next season, in Gee's case, convinced him to return to San Antonio -- having spent much of the season with the Spurs' D-League affiliate in Austin -- after completing two 10-day contracts with the Wizards, who wanted to keep Gee for the rest of the season but weren't prepared to extend the contract any further.

And it's a trend, from a wider perspective, that obviously increases the credibility of the D-League.

Although 20 D-Leaguers have been summoned for a record 31 callups this season, several NBA teams remain frustrated by some of the D-League's limitations when it comes player rights. Changes are unlikely before the next collective bargaining agreement, but there is a push among some NBA executives to add two or three two-way contracts in addition to the maximum 15 slots on a current NBA roster -- as seen in the NHL -- to create extra roster room for teams to secure the rights to project players and move them up and down freely.

Two-way contracts would pay players a lower salary when they're in the D-League and an NBA salary when they're with the big club and might be easier to sell to the NBA Players Association than in past years in an economy where jobs overseas aren't as lucrative or plentiful as they used to be.

Other suggestions in circulation include the idea that NBA teams which own or operate D-League franchises -- such as San Antonio, Oklahoma City and Houston -- would have the right of first refusal when another NBA teams wants to call up one of its D-Leaguers and that second-round picks can be assigned to D-League affiliates with or without an NBA contract.

Bartleby
04-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Other suggestions in circulation include the idea that NBA teams which own or operate D-League franchises -- such as San Antonio, Oklahoma City and Houston -- would have the right of first refusal when another NBA teams wants to call up one of its D-Leaguers and that second-round picks can be assigned to D-League affiliates with or without an NBA contract.

That could be good for the Spurs. Hope it happens.

BackHome
04-03-2010, 06:39 PM
I have to agree with Bruno I really have not seen anything special from Harriston he is a decent defender but doesn't bring much else. Not saying he sucks just that he is at best a bench player which is not bad for anyone playing b-ball.

Blackjack
04-04-2010, 02:50 AM
So the Spurs pick up Malik's contract and don't play him because they were like, "Hey, screw it. Holt's already paying luxury tax ... let's just go nuts!

See, regardless of what the scouts here say and how they're just not all that impressed with Malik because he can only defend and bring athleticism and energy to the court (which is selling him short), I tend to believe he does have a leg up on these other potential D-Leaguers.

When RC raves about a guys improvement and basically proclaims him the posterboy for what they've been working towards with the Toros, I tend to give that some validity. When Manu Ginobili makes it known that he believes Malik could be the future small forward for years to come, that raises one's eyebrows a bit. And when the Spurs pick up a contract but don't play the player, even when he's earned the job by any on-court measure going into the season, it leads one to believe they view him as part of their future.

Don't get it twisted, this isn't about Malik being a star or some difference maker for years to come. But one of the biggest things they've lamented not accounting for was their lack of "corporate knowledge." And what they're doing with the Toros looks to be somewhat of a way in which to remedy this moving forward.

Malik would be the first piece of fruit borne from the Toros tree and better than just about any option they could get for the money. He's been part of the Spurs' program for the better part of two years, he's talented, versatile and a bit of a utility player, and he's proven to be a "Spur" by all accounts.

There's never a 100% guarantee when you're dealing with the NBA, but there's definitely reason to believe the guy's not on the same, equal footing of the D-League talent they've brought in recently.

What they seem to be doing with the Toros is cultivating their "glue." They're looking to get legit NBA players in there that can play a role and serve a purpose as part of a supporting cast for years to come. They needed to get younger around the Big 3 and they need to transition for life after the Big 3, and the Toros are a means to that transitioning; building continuity, chemistry, and cohesion with the right talent at the bottom, builds a nice base for a team to build on (or at least provides spare parts down at their affiliate to be cogs in the wheel/system when needed).

Oh, and ...

Get Lifted . . . :smokin

bigfan
04-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Hope this isnt a repost; very interesting article concerning Gee, I love reading the comments from Wizard fans on this guy.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2010/3/29/1395814/the-alonzo-gee-saga-is-where-bad