PDA

View Full Version : Michael Steele Spent GOP Funds At Club, Lavish Hotels

nkdlunch
03-29-2010, 11:14 AM
http://dailycaller.com/2010/03/29/high-flyer-rnc-chairman-steele-suggested-buying-private-jet-with-gop-funds/

High flyer: RNC Chairman Steele suggested buying private jet with GOP funds
Posted By Jonathan Strong On Monday, March 29th, 2010 @ 3:40 AM In DC Exclusives, Editors Picks, Homepage:Feature, Politics | 67 Comments

According to two knowledgeable sources, Republican National Committee chairman Michael Steele once raised the possibility of using party money to buy a private jet for his travel.

“I know that … regular ongoing use of planes was something that was looked at,” says one person with direct knowledge. “I can’t speak to how serious those inquiries were.” Both sources say Steele considered purchasing a plane outright, or buying fractional ownership in one, through a company such as NetJets.

Steele’s spokesman, Doug Heye, did not deny that such discussions took place, responding that the RNC never had a “plan” to buy a plane. “I don’t know what somebody might have discussed or might not have discussed.”

While Steele has not purchased a plane, he continues to charter them. According to federal disclosure records, the RNC spent $17,514 on private aircraft in the month of February alone (as well as $12,691 on limousines during the same period). There are no readily identifiable private plane expenses for Democratic National Committee chairman Tim Kaine in the DNC’s last three months of filings.

The RNC explains that Steele charters jets only when commercial service is unavailable, or when his tight schedule requires it. “Anytime the chairman has taken any private travel has been a either to a route that doesn’t exist or because of connections and multiple travel to where he just wasn’t able to do so,” Heye said. Yet Steele’s office repeatedly refused to explain in specific terms the circumstances of the February charter flights.

Once on the ground, FEC filings suggest, Steele travels in style. A February RNC trip to California, for example, included a $9,099 stop at the Beverly Hills Hotel, $6,596 dropped at the nearby Four Seasons, and $1,620.71 spent [update: the amount is actually $1,946.25] at Voyeur West Hollywood, a bondage-themed nightclub featuring topless women dancers imitating lesbian sex.

RNC trips to other cities produced bills from a long list of chic and costly hotels such as the Venetian and the M Resort in Las Vegas, and the W (for a total of $19,443) in Washington. A midwinter trip to Hawaii cost the RNC $43,828, not including airfare.

Steele himself declined numerous interview requests, though his defenders point out that luxurious accommodations are sometimes necessary to attract big-time donors, especially since Republicans remain in the minority in Washington.

Still, the nature and size of Steele’s expenses are likely to reignite persistent complaints from high-end donors and key party figures that the RNC is bleeding cash in the months before a pivotal midterm election. Several months into Steele’s term as chairman, his spending spurred Republican committeemen to pass a resolution requiring checks to be signed by at least two RNC officers, and contracts over $100,000 to go out to competitive bidding.

Complaints, almost always expressed off the record, have been bitter. “This is not somebody who is out recruiting candidates,” said an aide who worked closely with Steele. “He is not meeting with donors. He’s not asking for money. The guy is writing his book or doing his speaking gigs, or whatever the hell else he fills his days with. Those are his priorities.”

A March 20 FEC filing shows the RNC has $9.5 million cash on hand. Steele began his tenure with $22.8 million, and has since raised $96.2 million. During the same period, however, the RNC has spent $109.6 million, for a deficit of $13.4 million. That spending included aid to the campaigns that elected Gov. Bob McDonnell in Virginia and Gov. Chris Christie in New Jersey.

“The story is less what’s left, and more what’s been spent,” said one longtime Republican operative. “It’s difficult to draw distinctions between various elections because the circumstances are so different. But what is worthy of scrutiny is the March cash on hand versus where it was January or February last year, which is essentially the same picture. And that comes despite having raised more than $90 million dollars.”

According to spokesman Heye, the RNC is right on track with fundraising. “We’re very comfortable with where we are financially and we know that we’ll have the resources on the ground to be competitive in November as we move forward to try and take back the House and Senate.” He noted the RNC had outraised the DNC in seven out of 12 months in 2009 and was raising gobs of money in the wake of President Obama signing health care reform legislation into law.

LnGrrrR
03-29-2010, 11:23 AM
While I wouldn't doubt if this story is true, it's sad to see what journalism has become nowadays.

According to two knowledgeable sources,

says one person with direct knowledge

said an aide who worked closely with Steele

said one longtime Republican operative

Not one person critical of spending is named in the report.

nkdlunch
03-29-2010, 11:29 AM
While I wouldn't doubt if this story is true, it's sad to see what journalism has become nowadays.

sounds like Fox News huh?

coyotes_geek
03-29-2010, 11:30 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that when the DNC chair travels he's not exactly shacking up at the Motel 6.

TeyshaBlue
03-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Relevancy factor: .000001285

ElNono
03-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Relevancy factor: .000001285

Exactly. Unless you're a donor, who cares?

TeyshaBlue
03-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Exactly. Unless you're a donor, who cares?

The Myopians care.

DarrinS
03-29-2010, 12:15 PM
If Michael Steele were white, would he be criticized in this way?

I smell racism.

Winehole23
03-29-2010, 12:26 PM

I smell racism.The GOP picked Steele so conservatives could say this over and over again, to Dems.

Why criticize PC when you can join in the fun?

DarrinS
03-29-2010, 12:28 PM
The GOP picked Steele so conservatives could say this over and over again, to Dems.

Why criticize PC when you can join in the fun?

I was being sarcastic. And I disagree with your first statement.

coyotes_geek
03-29-2010, 12:31 PM
I was being sarcastic. And I disagree with your first statement.

You really think that Steele's selection didn't have anything to do with trying to break the GOP's angry white guy stereotype? Really?

Winehole23
03-29-2010, 12:31 PM
You disagree Steele was cynically chosen as a racial token?.

Lemme guess, he was the best candidate available, and no one's better at GOP fundraising or national strategy. Right.

DarrinS
03-29-2010, 12:36 PM
You disagree Steele was cynically chosen as a racial token?.

Lemme guess, he was the best candidate available, and no one's better at GOP fundraising or national strategy. Right.

Sounds like you are the cynic.

Winehole23
03-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Sounds like you can't face reality.

Winehole23
03-29-2010, 12:45 PM
Micheal Steele was a terrible pick for the GOP. There was no compelling reason to pick him other than his race, and he's done a terrible job so far.

I wonder why he hasn't been fired.

Wild Cobra
03-29-2010, 12:45 PM

Not one person critical of spending is named in the report.
Thank-you for being critical of the things I often have been. Now the story could all well be true, but too many people automatically assume it is just because it was in the news.

Wild Cobra
03-29-2010, 12:47 PM

I smell racism.
Come on Darrin.

You now it's just enough that's he's republican.

Funny how they say such information wasn't available for the DNC. With such reliable unnamed sources, I'm sure they could find some unnamed DNC sources if they wanted to.

Winehole23
03-29-2010, 12:50 PM
I left out: unpopular with Republicans.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-29-2010, 01:00 PM
I wonder why he hasn't been fired.Really?

in2deep
03-29-2010, 01:02 PM
it's just fair. The repubs have the right to own a Tiger Woods guy too

Trainwreck2100
03-29-2010, 01:03 PM
i wonder if he ever made it rain?

DarrinS
03-29-2010, 01:14 PM

:lmao

Viva Las Espuelas
03-29-2010, 01:19 PM

Silly rabbit. He's got an R at the end of his name. Pffffft

Winehole23
03-29-2010, 01:32 PM
Hobo roller (http://www.gazette.net/stories/110706/princou134628_31968.shtml).

Winehole23
03-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Really?Really. Steele is fucking lame.

Trainwreck2100
03-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Silly rabbit. He's got an R at the end of his name. Pffffft

it ain't his cas, i could see him asking for "a win dixie grocery bag full of money to the vip section"

ChumpDumper
03-29-2010, 02:39 PM
I was being sarcastic. And I disagree with your first statement.So why was he hired?

DarrinS
03-29-2010, 04:05 PM
So why was he hired?

Why do you think he was hired?

ChumpDumper
03-29-2010, 04:06 PM
Why do you think he was hired?In no small part because of his race.

DarrinS
03-29-2010, 04:19 PM
In no small part because of his race.

I don't know, but my initial thought wasn't that he was hired because he was black. Why do you and Whinehole think that?

ChumpDumper
03-29-2010, 04:20 PM
I don't know, but my initial thought wasn't that he was hired because he was black. Why do you and Whinehole think that?Because he sucks at it and hasn't been fired yet.

Do you think he doesn't suck at his job?

Ignignokt
03-29-2010, 06:25 PM
Because he sucks at it and hasn't been fired yet.

Do you think he doesn't suck at his job?

Obama sucks at his job.

Was he hired because of his race?

nkdlunch
03-29-2010, 06:28 PM
:lol

Winehole23
03-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Obama won because he ran a good campaign and Hilary ran a shitty one. The 2008 nomination was hers to lose, and she lost it.

spursncowboys
03-29-2010, 06:46 PM
Obama won because he ran a good campaign and Hilary ran a shitty one. The 2008 nomination was hers to lose, and she lost it.

That and the DNC nominating process is ridiculous. Clinton would have won if they did what the RNC does.

ChumpDumper
03-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Obama sucks at his job.

Was he hired because of his race?Could be, although he does seem to have achieved at least a degree of the Holy Grail of liberal legislation. Like it or hate it, it is a political accomplishment.

Why are you changing the subject?

Don't bother answering. It's obvious.

LnGrrrR
03-30-2010, 03:26 AM
Thank-you for being critical of the things I often have been. Now the story could all well be true, but too many people automatically assume it is just because it was in the news.

:toast

LnGrrrR
03-30-2010, 03:29 AM

To talk to the kids, yo! He.. uhm.. jams with them! (That's the right lingo, right? That's what the kids are using nowadays?)

Michael Steele is straight fresh. Dope, even.

Stringer_Bell
03-30-2010, 03:38 AM
This is a non-issue. He didn't even buy shit, did he? And if he did, it's GOP funds. It's money that was given voluntarily to the GOP. It's not tax payer money. I know if I gave money to any political entity, and for them to have a good night sleep while on business they needed a nice hotel...I'd be cool with it, no doubt.

Trainwreck2100
03-30-2010, 04:02 AM
That and the DNC nominating process is ridiculous. Clinton would have won if they did what the RNC does.

in texas you have to vote twice

boutons_deux
03-30-2010, 04:11 AM
Steele got the RNC chairmanship two months after Magic Negro was elected.

If there was ever any blatant pandering and lying to the public that "Rich, old, white, southern Repugs love niggas, too", this was it.

whottt
03-30-2010, 05:30 AM
Steele got the RNC chairmanship two months after Magic Negro was elected.

If there was ever any blatant pandering and lying to the public that "Rich, old, white, southern Repugs love niggas, too", this was it.

I get it...they made a black guy the chair of the RNC so they could pander to the black vote....because they are racist.

Makes total sense.

They should take a page from the Dems book and never pander to anyone.

boutons_deux
03-30-2010, 07:10 AM
Repugs are racist, and Steele got his job because he was black. That's a decision by the Repug mucky-mucks based on Steele's race.

in2deep
03-30-2010, 09:40 AM
I get it...they made a black guy the chair of the RNC so they could pander to the black vote....because they are racist.

Makes total sense.

They should take a page from the Dems book and never pander to anyone.

LMAO why would Republicans be interested in the black vote? they chose him so he has a free pass to publicly critizize the magic negro

elbamba
03-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Sounds like Steele knows how to party.

whottt
03-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Repugs are white.

Fixed

I'm glad you're not hung up on race like those Republicans are boutons.

whottt
03-30-2010, 12:23 PM
magic negro

You too.

EmptyMan
03-30-2010, 01:01 PM
lol at having to pander to a racial group specifically to prove to the people you are not racist.

lol at boutons eating this elementary tactic up as a grown ass adult

Nbadan
04-01-2010, 01:21 AM
FE2aUJt5E6o

Winehole23
04-01-2010, 11:58 AM
REPUBLICANS (104 votes)
Asset 20 percent
Liability 71 percent
Volunteered: Neither; both, 9 percent.
Asset
"After a rocky start, [Michael Steele] brings instant recognition and excitement to the grassroots."

"He's the most prominent African-American Republican we've got: Treat him with kid gloves."

"Congressional minorities need some guerrilla-style unpredictability. Steele just brings extra."

Liability

"Michael Steele is an anchor around the neck of the future of the Republican Party. He needs to go."

"Steele is unconnected to the fundraising establishment and uninspiring to the rank and file. He is gaffe-prone and lacks gravitas."

"He's too much into himself and has a limited skill set."

" 'Liability' doesn't begin to describe what a deadweight the current [Republican National Committee] chair is to the GOP: ego-driven, off-key message hog who's failing at raising money, putting in place a sufficiently funded voter-mobilization program, or taking the steps necessary for redistricting."

"A gift that keeps giving -- to the Democrats."

"It is hard to imagine making less of this golden opportunity than what is taking place at the RNC these days."

"Republicans want so much to disprove the theory we're intolerant that we employ social promotion with the Steeles and Palins, which sets them up for failure."

"Steele's an operational amateur, wasting money on no-talent consultants without a major donor program."

"Could have been the focal point of unifying the party and reaching out to 'tea party' types. Instead has generated controversy and wrecked fundraising."

"What a joke. What an embarrassment. If a chairman can't stay on message or raise money, the affirmative-action benefits don't mean much."

Other responses

"He has good days and terrible days."

"He isn't an asset, but he would be a liability only if the general population knew what an RNC chairman was."

http://www.nationaljournal.com/njmagazine/nj_20100318_7927.php

Winehole23
04-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Palin wants name off RNC invite (http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0410/Palin_wants_name_off_RNC_invite_.html#)

Andy Barr reports (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0310/35269.html):
Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin has asked the Republican National Committee to remove her name from a fundraiser the committee is planning, piggybacking off the Southern Republican Leadership Conference, POLITICO has learned.

Palin’s staff has twice told the RNC to remove her name from an invitation sent to donors, obtained by POLITICO on Wednesday (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0310/35256.html), showing her as an “invited” speaker to the four-day fundraiser in New Orleans, timed to coincide with the SRLC event in Louisiana.

Palin, who will appear at the SRLC, “will not take part in any RNC fundraiser in New Orleans,” an aide said.

Winehole23
04-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Tony Perkins, head of the Family Research Council and an influential social conservative, is urging his members to stop giving money to the Republican National Committee, POLITICO has learned.

"I've hinted at this before, but now I am saying it: Don't give money to the RNC," Perkins will tell FRC members in the group's next e-mail newsletter. "If you want to put money into the political process, and I encourage you to do so, give directly to candidates who you know reflect your values."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0310/Tony_Perkins_urges_conservatives_to_stop_giving_mo ney_to_RNC.html

EVAY
04-02-2010, 02:50 PM
The Tea Party is, then, from what I read herein, completely destroying what is left of the group formerly known as the Republican Party. The social conservatives started taking over the party during the 80's with the whole 'family values' thing, and the increasing influence of the Reeds and the Falwells and the Dobsons, etc.

It reminds me anymore of a populist-driven, anti-intellectual, greed-based concoction of rigid social mores that will never be 'pure' enough. Some of us miss the old Repulbican party that was actually based on a view of government. Nowadays, that doesn't matter anymore, except to bash the opposition party.

The only winner in this development is the Democratic party, because regardless of how bad democrats are at governing, Americans do not like (or vote for) angry, rigid, religious purists.

EVAY
04-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Republicans are fond of telling themselves that the American people are mostly cente-right. For the past decade, they have focused on the 'right', forgetting the 'center' part.

We, the electorate, are the worse for it.