PDA

View Full Version : Boston Globe: Spurs administer a Celtic thrashing

Dex
03-29-2010, 01:09 PM
Spurs administer a Celtic thrashing
By Julian Benbow
Globe Staff / March 29, 2010

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2010/03/29/spurs_administer_a_celtic_thrashing/

The personnel was different.

Some of the philosophies were different.

But the goals were the same, and so were the teams.

The Spurs were playing their best basketball of the season (9-4 in March coming in), and so were the Celtics (11-4), but San Antonio was the team forcing its style of play.

“They did a lot of things to us that we want to always do, that we always talk about doing,’’ Ray Allen said, after the Spurs handed the Celtics a 94-73 loss, their worst of the season. “Just the quick ball movement. Nobody holds the ball. No hesitation, you just make the quick play.’’

The Spurs held the Celtics to a season-low point total, suffocating them in a decisive third quarter when they held them to 29.4 percent shooting (5 of 17). Paul Pierce led the Celtics with 18 points, but he got the bulk of them from the line, going 10 of 11 from the stripe to offset a 4-for-11 shooting night.

Meanwhile, Manu Ginobili was a menace, going for a game-high 28 points along with 7 assists and 3 rebounds. Richard Jefferson put up 16 points and 11 rebounds, and the Spurs won ugly (43.6 percent from the field, 26.1 percent from 3-point range) by making the Celtics look worse (37 per cent from the floor, 7.1 percent from the arc).

“They were driving, being more of the aggressor, and had us on our heels pretty much all of the second half,’’ Pierce said. “Like I said, they made the extra-effort plays tonight that we usually make. The team that you saw, San Antonio, the way they played is usually the way we play and we just got an old-fashioned whupping.’’

Added Allen, “They attacked us at what we wanted to do and we didn’t attack back.’’

San Antonio essentially roped off the paint, rendering Rajon Rondo — a world-beater with 18 assists Friday night against Sacramento — almost powerless (6 points, 7 assists, 4 turnovers).

It was Ginobili’s job to keep Rondo under wraps, but he spent most of his night roaming, leaving Rondo to cause trouble — grabbing 50-50 balls, jumping in to deal hard fouls to Kevin Garnett and Pierce, and basically wreaking havoc.

“A couple times he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar,’’ Allen said. “But it just made it tougher. It was forcing us away and we couldn’t make shots.’’

In the second quarter, Garnett made a hard drive to the rim, but was met by two Spurs, including Ginobili, who aggressively but cleanly knocked him to the parquet. Garnett stayed on his back, taking a deep breath, gathering himself. When he stood up, he played to the crowd, beating his chest to ignore the pain.

In the third quarter, Pierce took a Ginobili elbow to his right shoulder. He hit the floor, rolling in pain, although he got up and made one of his two free throws.

The Spurs snapped the Celtics’ five-game home winning streak, avenging a loss to the Celtics in San Antonio Dec. 3, which they remember vividly.

“That was the worst we had been probably, last time we played them,’’ Ginobili said. “Now we are kind of looking better, looking like a team at least. We are playing hard, hustling, communicating, all that. We are still making a lot of mistakes [and] that’s part of the whole deal, but when you look at our faces going to the bench with subs and stuff it is totally different, so I am glad to see that.’’

The Celtics are in the middle of a six-game homestand, with Oklahoma City, Houston, and Cleveland on tap. Having gained a sense of consistency in the past month, they didn’t view last night’s loss as a momentum-killer, but more as a throwaway.

“You trip up a little bit here, but what we’re doing, the mission that we’re on doesn’t change,’’ said Allen.

Or as Rondo succinctly put it, “Scratch this one.’’

Just as the Spurs are a title contender finding their way, the Celtics feel they are on the same path.

“They’re a veteran team,’’ said Rasheed Wallace, who scored 7 points and grabbed eight rebounds starting in place of Kendrick Perkins (left knee). “They’re a championship-caliber team just as I feel we are. They don’t try to do too much, just make the simple basketball play and that’s what gets it over the highlight play every time.’’

Who would've thought, after the first couple months of the season when the Celtics stormed out the gates while the Spurs sputtered, that they'd now be in the same circumstance?

Gotta put in all 82, I suppose.

in2deep
03-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Garnett stayed on his back, taking a deep breath, gathering himself. When he stood up, he played to the crowd, beating his chest to ignore the emotional pain.

fixed

Phenomanul
03-29-2010, 01:41 PM
It was Ginobili’s job to keep Rondo under wraps, but he spent most of his night roaming, leaving Rondo to cause trouble — grabbing 50-50 balls, jumping in to deal hard fouls (Garnett was fouled???) to Kevin Garnett and Pierce, and basically wreaking havoc.

“A couple times he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar,’’ Allen said. “But it just made it tougher. It was forcing us away and we couldn’t make shots.’’

In the second quarter, Garnett made a hard drive to the rim, but was met by two Spurs, including Ginobili, who aggressively but cleanly knocked him to the parquet. (If it was clean how was it a hard foul?) Garnett stayed on his back, taking a deep breath, gathering himself. When he stood up, he played to the crowd, beating his chest to ignore the pain.

In the third quarter, Pierce took a Ginobili elbow to his right shoulder. (umm... actually the hit occured when Pierce lowered his left shoulder into Ginobili as Ginobili attempted to trap him. Pierce still attempted a shot to get to the free-throw line, but his right handed release/flail was abrupt and awkward... apparently that's what caused his "stinger"...) He hit the floor, rolling in pain, although he got up and made one of his two free throws.

YoMamaIsCallin
03-29-2010, 03:34 PM
exactly phenomanul -- you beat me to it. What a stupid, homer story by what used to be a really good paper. The Globe is pretty much circling the drain. When the sports reporter gets lazy and supports his bias and just repeats what someone said instead of actually looking at the plays, it's sad. It's bad enough when random posters do it, but this guy's getting paid.

I would add that Pierce (although a really good player -- no disrespect there) is known for writhing and limping in painful agonies, even needing to be helped or carried off the court, then suddenly jumping up and playing as if nothing happened. As soon as that play happened I immediately thought, "He'll be back up, and make his next shot." Which he did.

Sec24Row7
03-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Chernobili leaves many deformed and dead in his wake.

antgomez2009
03-29-2010, 04:29 PM
“That was the worst we had been probably, last time we played them,’’ Ginobili said. “Now we are kind of looking better, looking like a team at least. We are playing hard, hustling, communicating, all that. We are still making a lot of mistakes [and] that’s part of the whole deal, but when you look at our faces going to the bench with subs and stuff it is totally different, so I am glad to see that.’’

Clearly, there were some issues on the team! I didnt know it was that bad, players feeling they should be in rather then that player on the floor! That would definitely disrupt any progression in players and most importantly on a team!! Finley was a bad apple, ready to explode! glad he was traded for obvious reasons! mason on the other hand, was probably influenced by finley, he had a rough time after the ASB, but he is coming around surely, but slowly! I think they are Gelling at the moment, and guys are understanding their place on the team!! You got your Obvious Stars, Tim, Ginobili and Parker, and then you got your role players, some more important then others, but all needed to win or make a run for a championship!!!!!!

I like that Ginobili is liking how the mood for the Spurs is!! you can conclude that there is no more animosity between players and coaches for the most part, and that they are ready to do what they are set out to do this year!!!! Win the Championship!!!!!

Still a tough task to do! but improvement is what i like to see, and they have done that individually and most importantly as a team! :flag:..........................:lobt:

Manu-of-steel
03-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Pierce was not elbowed by Manu. Pierce tweaked his shoulder after a collision with Manu.