PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs notebook: Spurs get rest after game and return

Kori Ellis
05-04-2005, 12:10 AM
Playoffs notebook: Spurs get rest after game and return
Web Posted: 05/04/2005 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA050405.9C.BKNspurs.notebook.23ccd8a65.html

Hoping his players would benefit from much-needed rest, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich let the team take Tuesday off.

The Spurs didn't arrive home until about 5 a.m. Tuesday. The team initially discussed staying overnight in Denver but stuck to its plan to fly back after the game.

"At this late point of the year, you want to have your legs — that's important," Popovich said. "Guys always want to get back in their own time zone and get acclimated."

Asked if he planned to practice Tuesday, Popovich quipped, "We're going to (practice) about two hours, knock heads, see if we can get Manu (Ginobili) and Tim (Duncan) as low on energy as possible, and show them who's boss around here."

Duncan didn't seem too worried about the limited time before today's Game 5 at the SBC Center.

"They have to play, too," Duncan said of the Nuggets. "We're going to come out and try to jump on them as best we can."

The Spurs have a 3-1 lead to boost their spirits.

"The next 36 hours aren't going to be fun," Denver coach George Karl said Tuesday. "Food doesn't taste good. Sleep doesn't feel restful. You go through all the pains of losing."

Be careful what you wish for: Karl spent two days complaining about the officiating in Game 3, saying he hoped to get a "good whistle" for Monday.

The Spurs and Nuggets got a lot of whistle in Game 4. How much good was debatable.

The officiating crew of Dick Bavetta, Bennie Adams and Derrick Stafford combined to call 73 fouls in Game 4. The teams averaged a combined 46.3 fouls in the series' first three games.

The 39 free throws the Spurs made — they shot 86.7 percent from the foul line — matched their most in a playoff game.

"It was kind of crazy," Ginobili said. "When you're on the court, you always think all the fouls are on you and you never make one. But once you see it from the outside, you have a better idea."

Of course, the outside opinion of Monday's foul-fest wasn't too positive, either. TNT analyst Charles Barkley called it the worst officiated game he's seen. Spurs' TV analyst Sean Elliott made similar comments.

The Nuggets had seven players in foul trouble, including Kenyon Martin, who fouled out with 1:37 left in regulation. Karl said the officials also should have given Earl Boykins three points for a shot he hit with 2:34 left in regulation.

The Spurs protested a few calls, but Popovich didn't want to discuss the officiating.

"We haven't from the beginning, and we won't," he said. "You can't control it. (The referees) are going to make mistakes just like coaches and players make mistakes."

Unwanted attention: Denver made it a point to collapse harder on Ginobili when he penetrated into the lane. He still attempted a game-high 16 free throws but said he needed to do a better job of moving the ball.

"Every time I tried to play one-on-one, everybody was in the paint," Ginobili said. "I got a little blind trying to finish, but I think I learned from that."

Tony Parker told Ginobili to look for him when he penetrated because his defender often left him. With the game tied and 27.4 seconds left in regulation, Ginobili found Parker alone in the left corner. Parker hit the open shot.

"He trusted me," Parker said.

Parker thought that shot helped him settle into a rhythm. He scored 11 in overtime.

They can score (sometimes), too: The Spurs' 126 points in Game 4 were their most in the postseason since they beat Golden State 130-121 to open a 1991 first-round series.