PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Global backcourt becomes all-world

Kori Ellis
05-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Buck Harvey: Global backcourt becomes all-world
Web Posted: 05/04/2005 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA050405.1C.COL.BKNharvey.23cd4cad4.html

They star in a national commercial together, which means they've finally arrived. Their championship rings, in this culture, don't mean as much as a 30-second spot.

The bit: Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili call in separately to a love-interest radio show hosted by Julius Erving, and both profess their passion for the NBA trophy. The two are surprised the other is on the line.

Tony?

Manu?

Is that you?

Their real-life connection should have been as confusing. They came from different continents to play a game on a third continent, both with English as a second language, one left-handed and the other right, both from low in the draft.

Their only common bond was high-pressure basketball, which is why they played well together from the start. But then came the past two games in Denver, when their worlds came together, and they connected as few backcourts do.

Tony?

Manu?

Isn't this the way it will be from now on?

Combined with Tim Duncan, another Spur who has been featured in the Erving spots, the three have developed a distinctive feel for each other. If they aren't the best trio in the league — and they arguably are — they are definitely the best three in concert.

Each has big-game capability, each can help when not scoring and each has an understanding when it's his turn. Sometimes each also understands when it's his turn to be selfish.

Ginobili grabbed the ball in Game 1. Duncan followed in Game 2. Ginobili came back in Game 3. And there was Parker on Monday night, with Duncan fouled out, doing his best Allen Iverson with 11 points in overtime.

"When Timmy went out," Parker said afterward, "in my mind, I wanted to take over."

He's done it before, though his playoff failures have often obscured these moments. Didn't Speedy Claxton have to rescue him in the 2003 Finals? And last year, when the Lakers clamped down, didn't Parker disappear?

Forgotten is what he has done right. In the 2003 playoffs, for example, he went on the road in the three series that were tied 1-1, and he did this: 29 points against Phoenix, 19 in one quarter against Dallas and 26 in New Jersey.

The opposing point guards? Merely Stephon Marbury, Steve Nash and Jason Kidd.

That's part of his problem. Parker's highs suggest he shouldn't have the kind of lows he's had. And when he started this series in slo-mo, he heard criticism from several quarters, including from this very space.

Parker has always handled that well, and he did this time. Whereas the Grizzlies' point guard, Jason Williams, went after a Memphis newspaper columnist last weekend, Parker took the opposite tact.

Monday night he apologized — with a deadpan expression — for not starring in Game 3s as he had in the past. "I'm sorry," he said, "I won't do it again."

Then he was playful, grinning, saying that he needs Duncan to foul out more often.

He also tried to explain his relationship with Duncan and Ginobili, and how sometimes he's so intent on getting the ball to them that he forgets about himself. "It's my job (to think about others)," he said. "Then, when I get a shot, sometimes I'm not in rhythm."

There's likely something to that. But there's also evidence that the longer these three play together, the more they understand the rhythms of the others. As Monday showed, each seemed to recognize what was necessary.

Between Duncan's 39 points, Ginobili reacted to the relentless Denver boos with his own 24. And at the end of regulation, when Parker thought that the Nuggets were collapsing on Ginobili, Parker reminded his teammate.

Look for me, Parker said.

That's another strength of this global backcourt. Both have the traits of the other; Ginobili can play some point guard, Parker some off-guard.

So Ginobili drove hard, bringing various Nuggets with him, before finding Parker open in the corner.

When Duncan fouled out in overtime, the roles changed even more. Ginobili stretched with a remarkable block on Carmelo Anthony, and then came Parker on the other end, rising up as if he knew it was his turn, snuffing Denver with a three-pointer.

Tony?

Manu?

Do they have to ask anymore?

thispego
05-04-2005, 12:47 AM
Nice article!! really gets you excited thinkign about the future of this franchise

ggoose25
05-04-2005, 01:37 AM
reminds you that signing manu and parker for long term this past off-season was pretty damn smart... but I didnt need Buck Harvey to tell me that

angel_luv
05-05-2005, 07:25 PM
One of Buck's best. Definitely one for the scrap book!