PDA

View Full Version : Pop just might be the happiest guy in the USA right now

whottt
03-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Holding the Celtics to a season low at home yesterday, dropping a game that prevents a team from going down as the worst team in history today.

Pop loves this. His team showed what they can do if they play well yesterday and just how bad they can be if they don't today.

He's totally got their attention now.

I don't have a doubt Pop did not try his hardest to win this game. And I also don't think it would be beyond Pop to lose this game just so the Nets won't have to worry about being the worst team in history...it gives the media something less to talk about and that is always a bonus for Pop.

And let's not forget the Spurs were without their two best guards anyway.

In any case, the Nets are not a better team than the Spurs, and this game is in no way indicative of their ability so it is foolish to get upset about this game.

And I hate to break it to you guys...but the Spurs more than likely won't be winning a title this year, whether they win this game or not, so you might as well stop melting down after every loss and expecting big things.

DubMcDub
03-30-2010, 12:07 AM
I don't have a doubt Pop did not try his hardest to win this game. And I also don't think it would be beyond Pop to lose this game just so the Nets won't have to worry about being the worst team in history...it gives the media something less to talk about and that is always a bonus for Pop.

Did you honestly just suggest that Pop purposefully (or even semi-purposefully) lost a game in the midst of one of the tightest conference races ever so that a random East team would not feel the sting of having the worst record in NBA history?

lcroock
03-30-2010, 12:13 AM
Pop will be the happiest man in the world when he loses to Phil Jackson yet again and shakes his hand after a 4-0 first round exit.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-30-2010, 12:14 AM
With the way Pop has been coaching this season it feels like he has yet to try this season to win a game based on his rotations.

Obstructed_View
03-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Pop's plan is falling into place.

Stringer_Bell
03-30-2010, 12:51 AM
With the way Pop has been coaching this season it feels like he has yet to try this season to win a game based on his rotations.

Exactly. He's made everything much harder than it needs to be so that when it really matters all he has to do is make the right decisions and the team can execute without a problem.

Apparently they held the Nets to less than 40% shooting, so that's not a total loss. It's just without Manu or TP, it's hard for this team to score because we're mainly full of role players not play makers. I ain't scurrred, it'll be okay.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-30-2010, 12:53 AM
Exactly. He's made everything much harder than it needs to be so that when it really matters all he has to do is make the right decisions and the team can execute without a problem.

Apparently they held the Nets to less than 40% shooting, so that's not a total loss. It's just without Manu or TP, it's hard for this team to score because we're mainly full of role players not play makers. I ain't scurrred, it'll be okay.

This is one of the worst teams in NBA history. I don't know if their poor shooting has to do with Spurs defense or simply because the Nets suck.

Probably the latter.

Oh well, I just want the 6th seed or whatever lands us Utah or hopefully Denver at this points. Getting 7th or 8th will be a first round exit.

Sean Cagney
03-30-2010, 12:56 AM
This is one of the worst teams in NBA history. I don't know if their poor shooting has to do with Spurs defense or simply because the Nets suck.

Probably the latter.

Oh well, I just want the 6th seed or whatever lands us Utah or hopefully Denver at this points. Getting 7th or 8th will be a first round exit.

Easily we can't bet LA or Dallas, yet we are right no with 9 games left pitted against either! Good way to lose three in a row to either team, good shyt this year SPURS!!!!!!! 7th or 8th seed is ours with all our talent, yep great seeding!!!!!!!!

whottt
03-30-2010, 03:33 AM
Did you honestly just suggest that Pop purposefully (or even semi-purposefully) lost a game in the midst of one of the tightest conference races ever so that a random East team would not feel the sting of having the worst record in NBA history?

Look at Pop's quotes from the post game. I don't know how familiar you are with Pop, but I have followed the team long enough to know when he got what he wanted out of a game.

And the race is not that tight....whoever wants a title is going to have to go through LA to get it. What's wrong with getting them in the first round?

So yes, I do think Pop would do it, because that game yesterday was a laugher that left the team feeling supremely confident and relaxed, and Pop doesn't want them relaxed right now. He wants them to keep focusing on improving and losing to a team in contention for the worst record in history will do that.

Pop does stupid crap and a lot of stuff gets attributed to him as being CIA or whatever, and that is just Pop making a stupid move. This is however was not one of those...Pop usually lets them hangthemselves a couple of times to get their attention, and he hasn't had the chance yet because the team hasn't ever gelled.

I know when Pop is pissed or disappointed...he doesn't hide it well. He wasn't disappointed in the slightest with this loss IMO. He would have taken a win, but he wanted it to be a close game, even if it meant losing.

Man In Black
03-30-2010, 03:40 AM
Look at Pop's quotes from the post game. I don't know how familiar you are with Pop, but I have followed the team long enough to know when he got what he wanted out of a game.

And the race is not that tight....whoever wants a title is going to have to go through LA to get it. What's wrong with getting them in the first round?

So yes, I do think Pop would do it, because that game yesterday was a laugher that left the team feeling supremely confident and relaxed, and Pop doesn't want them relaxed right now. He wants them to keep focusing on improving and losing to a team in contention for the worst record in history will do that.

Pop does stupid crap and a lot of stuff gets attributed to him as being CIA or whatever, and that is just Pop making a stupid move. This is however was not one of those...Pop usually lets them hangthemselves a couple of times to get their attention, and he hasn't had the chance yet because the team hasn't ever gelled.

I know when Pop is pissed or disappointed...he doesn't hide it well. He wasn't disappointed in the slightest with this loss IMO. He would have taken a win, but he wanted it to be a close game, even if it meant losing.
So you're saying, the guys stopped playing with the level of "appropriate fear"?

whottt
03-30-2010, 04:38 AM
So you're saying, the guys stopped playing with the level of "appropriate fear"?

Yeap, and Pop let em. They played d and it was a close game and the fact they lost the game was just gravy. Pretty much a perfect night for Pop as far as getting what he wanted.

Josepatches_
03-30-2010, 05:35 AM
Getting 7th or 8th will be a first round exit.

If it's true who cares? If we want to win we will have to defeat the Lakers or the Mavs.First round is as good as other round.

We aren't the Mavs or the Nuggets.To be in the WCF or the second round isn't a success for us.

romsho
03-30-2010, 05:46 AM

Clearly, they are going to make the playoffs. The question becomes how much trouble and energy do you expend improving seeding. You ask "what's wrong with getting LA in the 1st round?" Nothing really, and unless the plan is someone else knocking them out, I would say playing them in the 1st round provides the best opportunity for the Spurs to win.

It's always the longest round possible of the playoff schedule...not just days off between games, but typically a huge break between games two and three, sometimes four or five days. If Tim Duncan-and it's a big if at this point-has anything left, this type of rest is critical to his chances of success. For a team that measures itself with championships, WGAF is they go out in one round or two or three?

If Duncan continues to play at the level he has for the last month, the Spurs have zero shot. To improve that shot to say five or ten percent, Duncan needs to start getting some rest now. Play well and keep improving as a team? Yes. Go all out to avoid possible playoff matchup? Absolutely not. Fuck the seeding.

easy7
03-30-2010, 06:47 AM
Rest Duncan and play Ian now, I don't see Ian doing a worst job than what Duncan is doing right now. The difference is that Duncan will get better with rest and Ian will just rot on the bench.

TJastal
03-30-2010, 07:32 AM
Holding the Celtics to a season low at home yesterday, dropping a game that prevents a team from going down as the worst team in history today.

Pop loves this. His team showed what they can do if they play well yesterday and just how bad they can be if they don't today.

He's totally got their attention now.

And let's not forget the Spurs were without their two best guards anyway.

In any case, the Nets are not a better team than the Spurs, and this game is in no way indicative of their ability so it is foolish to get upset about this game.

And I hate to break it to you guys...but the Spurs more than likely won't be winning a title this year, whether they win this game or not, so you might as well stop melting down after every loss and expecting big things.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

TJastal
03-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Pop will be the happiest man in the world when he loses to Phil Jackson yet again and shakes his hand after a 4-0 first round exit.

Yup, and the Popsuckers will tell us all what a great run it was, and if it wasn't for Pop we wouldn't have even been in the playoffs, yada yada yada...

TJastal
03-30-2010, 07:39 AM
Clearly, they are going to make the playoffs. The question becomes how much trouble and energy do you expend improving seeding. You ask "what's wrong with getting LA in the 1st round?" Nothing really, and unless the plan is someone else knocking them out, I would say playing them in the 1st round provides the best opportunity for the Spurs to win.

It's always the longest round possible of the playoff schedule...not just days off between games, but typically a huge break between games two and three, sometimes four or five days. If Tim Duncan-and it's a big if at this point-has anything left, this type of rest is critical to his chances of success. For a team that measures itself with championships, WGAF is they go out in one round or two or three?

If Duncan continues to play at the level he has for the last month, the Spurs have zero shot. To improve that shot to say five or ten percent, Duncan needs to start getting some rest now. Play well and keep improving as a team? Yes. Go all out to avoid possible playoff matchup? Absolutely not. Fuck the seeding.

Maybe next year we can rest Duncan the whole year and just play him after Pop locks down that 8th seed again.

:lmao

boutons_deux
03-30-2010, 07:39 AM
Happy because Pop knows his summer will start before 1 May.

silverblackfan
03-30-2010, 08:04 AM
I hate to say it, but I agree with the OP. I really think Pop will allow a team to keep it close as long as the defensive rotations are being done. We all know that Pop played whoever he wanted, except Ian, to see how they performed in the rotations. It stayed close, and then the Nets won at the end. Now Pop has something to get the teams attention with.

There is another factor that I suspect from CIA Pop at times. It's what I like to call the 'Ping Pong' ball effect. The Spurs are a team that every other team measures themselves against. Cry all you want about the Spurs being done, but everyone knows the teams history and respects the team. Winning against them always seems to boost the opponent, and sometimes inspires a run by that team. Those teams go on to win a few games that they may not have had the confidence to do otherwise. Those wins by the underdog team translate into losses by other teams that the Spurs match up against later. You get more damage to other teams standings that a single win by letting certain teams get some confidence. Ping Pong Ball Effect. Let the other teams do the damage while you work on your team. Its a long season and the post season playing is all that matters, assuming you get in.
I suspected one of the Houston game losses as an example of this. I haven't really done the leg work to determine if slumping teams have, on average, go on to win a few games after beating the Spurs, but it seems that way from watching 82 games.

My theory may be nuts, but from reading the quotes, I do agree with the OP. This one was not a priority and damn the seedings.
I really am starting to think 8th seed may not be the scariest place for the team. Win against the best when Manu is cooking, Tony is fresh and ravenous, and Tim has less games played. If it happens, then the rest of the playoffs will be inspired play. If not, then get the rest and tweak that final squad for the final run at it next year.
I DO NOT believe this team is out of it. Tim is coasting a bit, but when the play offs start, this team is going for the throat of whatever team they are matched up with.

TJastal
03-30-2010, 08:07 AM
I hate to say it, but I agree with the OP. I really think Pop will allow a team to keep it close as long as the defensive rotations are being done. We all know that Pop played whoever he wanted, except Ian, to see how they performed in the rotations. It stayed close, and then the Nets won at the end. Now Pop has something to get the teams attention with.

There is another factor that I suspect from CIA Pop at times. It's what I like to call the 'Ping Pong' ball effect. The Spurs are a team that every other team measures themselves against. Cry all you want about the Spurs being done, but everyone knows the teams history and respects the team. Winning against them always seems to boost the opponent, and sometimes inspires a run by that team. Those teams go on to win a few games that they may not have had the confidence to do otherwise. Those wins by the underdog team translate into losses by other teams that the Spurs match up against later. You get more damage to other teams standings that a single win by letting certain teams get some confidence. Ping Pong Ball Effect. Let the other teams do the damage while you work on your team. Its a long season and the post season playing is all that matters, assuming you get in.
I suspected one of the Houston game losses as an example of this. I haven't really done the leg work to determine if slumping teams have, on average, go on to win a few games after beating the Spurs, but it seems that way from watching 82 games.

My theory may be nuts, but from reading the quotes, I do agree with the OP. This one was not a priority and damn the seedings.
I really am starting to think 8th seed may not be the scariest place for the team. Win against the best when Manu is cooking, Tony is fresh and ravenous, and Tim has less games played. If it happens, then the rest of the playoffs will be inspired play. If not, then get the rest and tweak that final squad for the final run at it next year.
I DO NOT believe this team is out of it. Tim is coasting a bit, but when the play offs start, this team is going for the throat of whatever team they are matched up with.

Wow the shit is getting deep in here! This is great stuff.

:lmao

dbestpro
03-30-2010, 09:35 AM

You must not have paid attention to the way Pop coaches. This has his fingerprints all over it. RJ went off the first half could not even get a touch in the second half.

z0sa
03-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Yeah, a loss, and to the Nets, should make everyone in the Spurs camp happy.

dbestpro
03-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Yeah, a loss, and to the Nets, should make everyone in the Spurs camp happy.

I think that is the point. Pop does seem to like the Spurs camp to be happy. I think he believes that it leads to complacency so he quite often will coach a game that leads the team to a level of embarrassment.

in2deep
03-30-2010, 09:48 AM
I thought the happiest guy in the USA was this guy?

http://www.ganeshaspeaks.com/blogImages/Barack%20Obama%20Capitol%2004_27012009.jpg

Chillen
03-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Spurs goal should be to reach the playoffs, it don't matter what seed be it 1 through 8, if it's the Lakers in the 1st round, so be it. The playoffs are always about win or go home, it's that simple no matter who you play, what, when, where. Try and finish the season strong and get ready to face the Lakers in the 1st round and come out with killer instinct and try and beat them, again it's the playoffs and it's win or go home.

TJastal
03-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Spurs goal should be to reach the playoffs, it don't matter what seed be it 1 through 8, if it's the Lakers in the 1st round, so be it. The playoffs are always about win or go home, it's that simple no matter who you play, what, when, where. Try and finish the season strong and get ready to face the Lakers in the 1st round and come out with killer instinct and try and beat them, again it's the playoffs and it's win or go home.

This kind of reasoning conveniently takes Popovich off the hook when the spurs get kicked in the 1st round.

Pop: "Well team, we made the playoffs as an 8th seed, it was a great accomplishment, of course we got our asses handed to us but we were only an 8th seed, so nobody expected better"

Popologists: Pop is the greatest!! He got the spurs to the playoffs its a shame they had to face the #1 seed .. wasn't his fault they lost.. all hail Greg Popovich!!"

Killakobe81
03-30-2010, 12:10 PM

Great post whott many of teh same stuff applies to teh Lakers and phil ...

I have become very concerend about Phil and this lakers team ...but I promised myself I would not question him or Mitch if we won it all last year. So as a man of my word Phil gets a pass ...but if and when we lose in the playoffs this year Im on his ass again....

The comedy of this forum is the Spur believers vs. the Spur "realists" if and when the Spurs lose in the playoffs the threads will be epic.

Lakersground will implode as well ...

Jekka
03-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Whottt makes probably the only post last night that made any sense. Pop LOVES to take his team down a peg. The Spurs have a history of huge let down games that Pop has his hands in throughout previous seasons.

In the end a loss to the nets means nothing more than a loss to the Lakers except for the egos of fans.

-Manny

TJastal
03-30-2010, 12:32 PM
I could see trying this strategy early in the season if.., say, your team had signed a bonehead who was spouting off about beating the bulls' regular season record. And even then I think killing your teams' momentum and confidence is supremely stupid.

But doing it in the last month of the season with playoff implications at stake when you still have a very good chance to improve seeding is just insanity at its highest order.

Funniest thing though is watching all the Popalogists scrambling to concoct theories of justification.

:lol

spurs10
03-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Yeah, as I mentioned during yesterday's meltdown, it's the momentum and confidence that concern me the most. We'll land wherever we do in the standings. Our mental state will be of colossal importance. I think the vibe after Boston was about right. Need to bounce back like hell against the Rockets and Magic!

EricB
03-30-2010, 05:57 PM
The only ones that don't understand what whottt is saying are peoplethat have been fans for a couple years. What he says is 100% right. Disagree with the strategy or not but it's one he's used for about, oooo 7 years now. TJastal comes off as the type that for some reason thinks he knows more than everyone else. More power to him.

Slippy
03-30-2010, 06:26 PM
Two things that had me wondering what Pop's frame of mind for this game was? Hairston starting the third and Tim out at 9min for the whole of the third.

Priority for POp now is not so much seeding but the health of the big three.

FeZZy
03-30-2010, 06:34 PM
wow thread fail

EricB
03-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Actually thread succesfull. Lol @ ripping pop for pstarting hairston lol he can't win....

DubMcDub
03-31-2010, 12:44 AM

You are a complete fool if you think any person associated with an NBA team would do anything purposefully to lose a game when they are in the thick of the playoff race.

These guys are human. They each have this thing called an ego. You may have heard of it. Ultra-competitive guys like NBA players and coaches don't purposefully lose games when they have something to play for. Ever. Period. End of discussion.

Slippy
03-31-2010, 12:47 AM
Not a rip on Pop or hairston just that fact that Pop was trying different things .

jjktkk
03-31-2010, 12:59 AM
The only ones that don't understand what whottt is saying are peoplethat have been fans for a couple years. What he says is 100% right. Disagree with the strategy or not but it's one he's used for about, oooo 7 years now. TJastal comes off as the type that for some reason thinks he knows more than everyone else. More power to him.

Tjastal's mom tells him every morning before school, that one day, when hes all grown up, he will be the Spurs head coach and GM.

whottt
03-31-2010, 01:13 AM
You are a complete fool if you think any person associated with an NBA team would do anything purposefully to lose a game when they are in the thick of the playoff race.

What do you mean by playoff race? The Spurs are going to make the playoffs. You mean seeding? Pop doesn't give a shit what the seeding is. In fact he probably would rather get the Lakers in the first round for a change. What's his choice anyway, Lakers? or the team that beat us in the first round last year? What difference does it make?

These guys are human. They each have this thing called an ego. You may have heard of it. Ultra-competitive guys like NBA players and coaches don't purposefully lose games when they have something to play for. Ever. Period. End of discussion.

Well you'd be wrong about that. If Pop was as desperate as you say Manu would have played.

But anyway, have it your way, the Nets are better than the Spurs and that was why they lost last night. I mean it must be since they are Ultracomnpetitive guys that don't purposefully lose games when they have something to play for.