PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets’ Martin Says He May Be Done For The Season

duncan228
03-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Nuggets’ Martin Says He May Be Done For The Season (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-nuggetsmartinsayshem&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin told Yahoo! Sports’ Marc J. Spears (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-martinnuggets033010&prov=yhoo&type=lgns) his knee injury might keep him out for the rest of the season.

"Realistically, I might not be able to play this year. … I might not be able to play the rest of the year," Spears quoted Martin as saying.

Martin has missed 14 games, including Denver’s loss in Dallas on Monday. The Nuggets fell out of first place in the Northwest Division with the loss and Utah’s win over the Knicks.

Yahoo! reported Martin has a partial tear of his left patella tendon and could need surgery. He also is receiving platelet-rich plasma therapy to stimulate healing. Martin said he has been limited since the injury to riding a staionary bike.

"I’m still optimistic I’m coming back, but I’m also cautious, worried," Martin said, per Yahoo!. "My pain level has definitely decreased, but it doesn’t mean anything because I’m not playing basketball. That’s what I had to do to judge it on."

Martin unsure whether he’ll return this season (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-martinnuggets033010&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
Marc J. Spears

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-martinnuggets033010&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

bostonguy
03-30-2010, 02:10 PM
That really sucks. Huge blow to Denver. They may not even make it past the first round now.

monosylab1k
03-30-2010, 02:10 PM
fugazi

JamStone
03-30-2010, 02:22 PM
Kenyon and Ron Harper should do the play-by-play and color on TNT for the NBA playoffs.

mavsfan1000
03-30-2010, 02:23 PM
That sucks for Denver.

Ginobilly
03-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Martin's inability to further develop his perimeter game has caused him to have all these knee problems throughout the years. His offensive game, for the most part, has been nothing more than high energy athletic plays and that atrocious looking J.

bostonguy
03-30-2010, 02:35 PM
The race for a date with the Lakers in the 2010 WCF now comes down to Utah and Dallas. Injuries have officially eliminated the Suns and Nuggets.

ffadicted
03-30-2010, 02:40 PM
fuck i want denver in the first round they blow lately

baseline bum
03-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Goddamnit, if the Spurs didn't have their heads up their asses in New Jersey, maybe they could have gotten a shot at the 5-seed and Denver instead of getting curbstomped by LA or Dallas. :pctoss

djohn2oo8
03-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Injuries, ain't they a bitch?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-30-2010, 04:07 PM
If the Suns play Denver in the 1st round, it'll be pretty even. Without Martin, there's really no one on Denver who can guard Amare, and Phoenix never had anyone who could guard Melo. JR Smith and Jason Richardson are basically the same player. All star potential but instead streak shooter who is incredibly inconsistent, they're even similar in that they both have a history involving motor vehicles, alcohol, and speed. They probably cancel each other out. The series in all likelihood comes down to Nash and Dragic vs. Billups and Lawson.

21_Blessings
03-30-2010, 04:15 PM
fuck i want denver in the first round they blow lately

:lol

crc21209
03-30-2010, 04:18 PM
The race for a date with the Lakers in the 2010 WCF now comes down to Utah and Dallas. Injuries have officially eliminated the Suns and Nuggets.

The Nuggets yeah but the Suns? :lol Come on...

21_Blessings
03-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Denver wasn't winning shit with Martin anyhow. This only prolongs the Mavericks life as they could probably win a series against Denver now.

Dex
03-30-2010, 04:27 PM
I don't wish injury or ill on any player...but I still have a hard damn time feeling bad for KMart.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-30-2010, 04:40 PM
The Nuggets yeah but the Suns? :lol Come on...

I agree, people anointing them a contender because of this 21-5 stretch was dumb. I can't (actually I can) wait for the annoying, "We would have won it all this year if Lopez stayed healthy!" talk. The 21-5 run they're on has just as much to do with the cakewalk schedule as it did with the Suns being good.

picc84
03-30-2010, 07:14 PM
LMAO at everyone wanting the Nuggets now

They're just in a slump. K-mart was never THAT important to their success. He's like their 5th best player.

SomeCallMeTim
03-30-2010, 07:17 PM
Kenyon and Ron Harper should do the play-by-play and color on TNT for the NBA playoffs.

Only if they bring Bill Walton out of retirement to make it a three-man team.

Ghazi
03-30-2010, 07:26 PM
Houston was a better team than Denver last year.

Their "dropoff" isn't as big as it seems.

Although not having K-Mart hurts.

I'd have my $ on the Jazz/Mavs making the WCF to play the Lakers as well... may come down to whichever gets the 2nd seed. Mavs would give some resistance to LA, Utah would get slaughtered ... same story as last 2 years no length/toughness on frontline.

Dallas matches up marginally v Utah but would be a favorite with HCA IMO.

djohn2oo8
03-30-2010, 07:30 PM

They're just in a slump. K-mart was never THAT important to their success. He's like their 5th best player.

LMAO @ spurfans wanting any team come playoff time

Rogue
03-30-2010, 07:34 PM
Houston was a better team than Denver last year.

Their "dropoff" isn't as big as it seems.

Although not having K-Mart hurts.

I'd have my $ on the Jazz/Mavs making the WCF to play the Lakers as well... may come down to whichever gets the 2nd seed. Mavs would give some resistance to LA, Utah would get slaughtered ... same story as last 2 years no length/toughness on frontline.

Dallas matches up marginally v Utah but would be a favorite with HCA IMO.
:tu no team can claim favorable confronting the Jazz if they don't have HCA, given their awful atmosphere at Delta center.

However I don't see Jazz going that far this season, as that they aren't likely to gain the HCA against their potential opponents and the players themselves aren't so intrusive as before. Probably as their season finishes and Boozer leaves, the Jazz will start a new process of reconstruction from a new site of the old circle.

MmP
03-30-2010, 07:52 PM
I really don't like Martin, his trash talk, style of play, etc. But man, this sucks for him and his team. Hope he gets well soon.

Chieflion
03-30-2010, 08:30 PM

This isn't true. K-Mart was very important to their team success. They lose a lot of frontcourt depth without Martin. Now, they play small ball for stretches, Nene isn't that good a defender, they play Petro who sucks. Martin is indeed very important to the Nuggets.

JamStone
03-30-2010, 08:54 PM

5th best player or even if worse, his importance isn't necessarily his production but the fact that the Nuggets have so little depth in the front court. Now you're talking about Johan Petro and Malik Allen having to play not only bigger minutes but significant minutes. His loss will be huge especially going up against some of the better front courts.

DJ Mbenga
03-30-2010, 08:56 PM
when you lose a starter it hurts, unless that player is derek fisher. utah is laughable as a threat, yes they have the Home court where they get all the calls in the world but boozer struggles aganst the lakers frontline. dallas is the only realistic team. question will be if both healthy who can make their jumpers. butler cant hit the 3 and neither can artest(since he hurt his thumb) i will say bynum is important. when he played he raped both their centers.

KSeal
03-30-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm sure NuGgEtsfAn still thinks they're going to take out the Lakers :lol

duhoh
03-30-2010, 10:38 PM

yes on offense. but now the interior D is miles below what it could be

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-30-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm sure NuGgEtsfAn still thinks they're going to take out the Lakers :lol

JustBlaze is a lot dumber, I'm not sure if nuggetsfan or however you capitalize it is ever being serious.

bostonguy
03-30-2010, 11:21 PM
Lucky for the Nuggets, Kmart has a nice fat expiring contract come next season. The guy is going to be 33 in less than a year from now. Knee and previous injuries at that age are only going to hurt him more. Deal him for a young bigman piece.

bostonguy
03-30-2010, 11:24 PM

On offense, enver will be just fine. They have enough scorers as it is so Kmart isn't a blow on that side of the ball. However that D, while it isn't special to begin with, is even worse.

Killakobe81
03-31-2010, 07:59 AM
Too bad for Denver .. but now they have ALL kinds of excuses for the inevitable implosion this team was heading for.

Denver can look good when everything is rolling once adversity strikes they fold like a cheap table ...

I never was seriously worried about Denver ...Dallas post-trade looks good but they also are known to fold when the stakes are highest ...but it's the one team that can match our length ...in the west and caron adds toughness ...

Phoenix vs. denver would be a GREAT 1st round series ...as would Spurs vs. Suns. I think it would be poetic to start a great playoffs with THOSE two teams and maybe the suns would bring out the best in Timmy who seems to be running on fumes right now ...I KNOW it would bring out the best in Manu ...

I think best mathcups round 1

Lakers vs. Blazers (roy vs. kobe Aldridge vs. Pau)

Dallas vs. Spurs (always a good matchup)

Denver vs. Phoenix (high scoring, vet PG's, shaky defense)

utah vs. OKC (dwill vs. Westbbrook, Durant probably guarded by AK, boozer vs. green)

I doubt these happen but i think that I would watch all games in the west.

In the east I have no interest in cavs vs, Raptors (if that is not a 4game blowout sweep...Cavs are overrated.)

the other EAST series can all be VERY interesting ...

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
03-31-2010, 04:58 PM
Wow, this is too bad. Hopefully he can play, and close to 100%. Denver has a chance to win it all this year.

mavsfan1000
03-31-2010, 05:02 PM
Denver needs to forget about Petro or Allen and put Melo at the 4.

JustBlaze
03-31-2010, 11:53 PM
JustBlaze is a lot dumber, I'm not sure if nuggetsfan or however you capitalize it is ever being serious.
Still butthurt I see about the ownage I delivered in the Lakers/Suns thread as well as on your troll account. Lol @ calling Goran Dragic's game against the Nuggets beastly when he dropped only 12 points. Lol @ Goran shutting Billups down in the 2nd quarter when Billups only took 1 shot that entire quarter(which happened to be a three point attempt) and was looking to get his team mates involved. Good stuff maynnnn...:tu:lmao

duncan228
04-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Martin wants to return from injury before playoffs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nuggets-martin)

Denver Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin said Thursday he wants to test his injured left knee before the end of the regular season to shake off the rust before the playoffs begin.

Martin has missed 14 straight games with patellar tendinitis. He underwent platelet-rich plasma therapy on the knee in Vail, Colo., on March 8.

In the procedure, a tube of a patient’s blood is taken and put in a centrifuge and spun, producing concentrated platelets. Those contain growth factors that accelerate tissue repair and regeneration. The platelets are then injected into the injury site.

Martin opted for the therapy instead of surgery to try to come back for the playoffs.

“That’s what I’m shooting for. Actually, I’m shooting to see if I can get back before then because I don’t think it’s going to be good for me to come out with a playoff game as my first game in a month and a half,” he said. “We all know playoff basketball is different so I’ll probably need a game or two under my belt if that’s possible. If not, I’ll deal with it and do what I’ve got to do.”

Martin said he has increased his rehab and hasn’t had any setbacks. He said he did light running on the court Thursday and everything went well.

“Today was a good day. It’s looking positive but I still haven’t played any basketball yet. I don’t know how it’s going to react during the game,” he said.

Denver has missed Martin’s defense and team-leading 9.6 rebounds a game. He hasn’t played since the Nuggets’ 119-90 win over Oklahoma City on March 3. The team won seven of eight after that.

More recently, however, they’ve struggled and dropped from the No. 2 spot in the Western Conference to No. 5.

“It’s almost unbearable for me to sit over there to see the guys struggling,” Martin said. “It’s tough, but we can’t feel sorry for ourselves. We need these games.”

Martin said he doesn’t have a set day to return to the Vail clinic but the Nuggets’ struggles are contributing to his healing process.

“For the team it’s kind of speeding my recovery up a little bit,” he said. “I’ve got to look at the situation as it is and not rush or risk anything.”

The Nuggets wrap up the regular season April 13 against the Trail Blazers.