PDA

View Full Version : SI.com: Rebuttal to a rebuttal: Duncan's stats put him in elite class

CubanMustGo
03-30-2010, 11:26 PM
This is another article written in response to that ass of a Boston homer, Shaunessey:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/joe_posnanski/03/30/duncan.counterpoint/index.html?section=si_latest

by Joe Posnanski

If you popped on SI.com, you will see Dan Shaughnessy's interesting counter to my magazine story a few weeks ago about Tim Duncan. My story was more about my endless fascination with Duncan -- the main line was probably this one: "Has American sports ever had a player all at once so great and so unknown?" The man is so counter to today's sports world -- he's the opposite of flashy, the antithesis of SportsCenter, the inverse of hype. He's 1957 transported. He might be the greatest invisible player in American sports history.*

*And as I point out in the piece -- with the perfect boring nickname: The Big Fundamental.

In the piece -- right at the end, in fact -- I called him one of the 10 best players in NBA history. That was not the point of the piece, but that was probably the headline. A letter appeared in Sports Illustrated two weeks later from Carl McCullough of Trinity, Fla:

"If Duncan is one of the 10 best NBA players of all time, then whom would writer Joe Posnanski take off this list: Abdul-Jabbar, Baylor, Bird, Chamberlain, Erving, Jordan, Magic, Robertson, Russell or West? Maybe there should be 11 players in the top 10."

Dan picks up on the theme in his column. He, too, lists 10 players who have to be on his top 10 list. He added Shaquille O'Neal and Bob Cousy and removed Elgin Baylor and Julius Erving. He then listed another dozen he decided to put ahead of Duncan -- those two along with Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Hakeem Olajuwon, Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, Moses Malone (so Moses and Karl, but so far no Jeff Malone), Kevin McHale (Kevin McHale? Really? Over Duncan?), Bob Pettit, John Stockton and Isiah Thomas.

Look, there have been a lot of great players in NBA history ... and those are some of the greatest. I think there are probably seven or eight guys who would be on just about everybody's top 10 list: Larry Bird and Magic Johnson, Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell, Jerry West and Oscar Robertson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Michael Jordan. After that, you have another few, as you can see above, who would battle for the final two spots.

But I think, once again, it's just tempting to undersell Duncan. It's tempting to undersell him because he just does the same thing every single year -- 20-22 points, 10-12 rebounds, two blocked shots, first- or second- team All-NBA, first-team All-Defensive. He has been in the top five for defensive Win Shares (an estimate of the number of wins contributed by a player) every year (No. 1 five times), and the top 10 in rebounds every year, and he always has been the best player on a team that has never won fewer than 53 games in an 82-game season.

This is a point that's easy to overlook. It's a short list of players who were clearly the best player on four championships teams. That list would include:

1. Bill Russell, 10
2. Michael Jordan, 6
3. George Mikan, 5
4. Tim Duncan, 4
5. Magic Johnson, 4

Shorter list than you would expect, isn't it?

Russell won 11 championships -- you could argue that he wasn't the best player on all those teams. He almost certainly wasn't the best player on the 1957 team that had Bill Sharman and Cousy (more on Cousy in a second), though he did grab 19 rebounds a game. A quick look at the Celtics' championship Win Shares leaders:

1969: Bailey Howell, 11.3
* Russell second with 10.9
1968: Bailey Howell, 10.1
*Russell second with 8.2
1966: Bill Russell with 11.7
1965: Bill Russell with 16.9
1964: Bill Russell with 17.3
1963: Bill Russell with 13.5
1962: Bill Russell with 15.5
1961: Bill Russell with 13.0
1960: Bill Russell with 13.8
1959: Bill Russell with 12.9
1957: Bill Sharman with 12.4
*Russell fourth with 6.2

So as you can see, based on Win Shares (which, obviously, is only one measurement), Russell was pretty clearly the best player in eight of the 11, and close enough in '68 and '69 (when he also served as coach) that I gave him credit for those. That gives him 10 championship teams where he was clearly the best player.

Because Russell was so dominant, the many, many, many, many (yikes) other Celtics Hall of Famers from that era really can't be on the list. Cousy won six championships, but it would be hard to argue that Cousy was clearly the best player on any of those teams. Those teams, after all, had Hall of Famers Russell AND Bill Sharman AND Tommy Heinsohn AND Sam Jones AND Frank Ramsey AND K.C. Jones. And for fun, they added Hall of Famer Clyde Lovellette at the end of his career, though he was not playing at that level at the time.

Point is, Cousy changed pro basketball with the way he played. We are talking about the greatest players in basketball history, so there are no duds here -- Cousy was magical. But if there was a draft tomorrow with a young Cousy and a young Duncan, I don't see any argument for drafting Cousy.

The same, incidentally, can be said for John Havlicek. He played on eight championship teams, which is remarkable, but he was clearly not the best player on the first six. He was probably the best player on the 1974 championship team and might have been the best on the 1976 championship team, though in both cases Dave Cowens was at least his equal. My idea here is for someone to be clearly the best player on at least four championship teams. Havlicek and Cousy just don't quite get there.

Abdul-Jabbar is a tough case. He was absolutely and without question the best player on the 1971 Milwaukee Bucks -- even with an aging Robertson on the team. Abdul-Jabbar averaged 31.7 points and 16.0 rebounds. His 22.3 Win Shares that year was the fourth-highest total of all time (his 25.4 Win Share total in 1972 is tops). And he was probably the best player on the 1980 champion Lakers. That was Magic's rookie year, and Norm Nixon was still playing a lot of point guard, and Jamaal Wilkes was still doing a lot of the heavy scoring. I think that was Abdul-Jabbar's team.

After that? Trickier. In 1982, Magic has more win Shares than Abdul-Jabbar. Same deal in 1985. For the 1987-88 repeat, it was very clearly Magic's team, and Abdul-Jabbar was much more of a role player. Abdul-Jabbar finished fifth in Win Shares in 1987 behind Magic, James Worthy, Byron Scott and A.C. Green. And Michael Cooper averaged more minutes than Abdul-Jabbar in 1988.

So, what to do? My sense of it is that it's only fair to Magic to say he was clearly the best player on four of the five Lakers championship teams. And that leaves Abdul-Jabbar as the best on two championship teams.

Then there are Shaq and Kobe. Again: tricky situation. They each have four championships -- three together and one apart. Kobe was the best player on last year's Lakers, though Pau Gasol actually scored more Win Shares. Shaq was clearly not the best player on the 2006 Miami Heat championship team that had Dwyane Wade -- even Udonis Haslem scored more Win Shares. And then ... how do you split up their championships?

Shaq: 13.2 Win Shares
Kobe: 12.7 Win Shares

Shaq: 14.9 Win Shares
Kobe: 11.3 Win Shares

Shaq: 18.6 Win Shares
Kobe: 10.6 Win Shares

Shaq was almost certainly more valuable the first two seasons and it was close that third season. But once again, no clear choices here.

Even Bird provides a tricky case here: He won three championships, so he could not make the list. But Bird was not clearly the best player on that first championship team -- that team had Cedric Maxwell and Robert Parish, who both scored more Win Shares than Bird. Larry Legend was probably the best player on the team, the championship difference, but that's a different story.

Then there's Duncan. Four championships. And there is no doubt that he was the best player on all four teams. In 1999, he led the team in scoring, rebounding, blocks and win shares. In 2003, his 16.5 Win Shares were more than double anyone else's on the team and he was named league MVP. In 2005, Manu Ginobili was a valuable player -- very close in Win Shares -- but again Duncan led the team in scoring, rebounding and field-goal percentage, and his defensive rating was the best in the NBA. In 2007, he again led the team in Win Shares, and was once again rated (by his defensive rating and by Win Shares) as the best defensive player in the NBA.

This is just a rare thing. That's not to knock the greatness of West or Robertson or Erving or Baylor or any of the other great players listed above. But Duncan's teams win games, and Duncan's teams win championships, and he's the best player on those teams.

I think basketball -- because of the relatively small number of players on the floor at one time -- rewards an individual's accomplishments more than baseball and football.

• In 2001, Barry Bonds hit 73 home runs and walked 177 times -- no matter how you may feel he accomplished it, that's about as great an offensive season as a player can have. His team did not make the playoffs.

• In 2004, Daunte Culpepper threw for 4,700 yards and 39 touchdowns, ran for another 400 yards and threw only 11 interceptions. His team went 8-8.

• In 2002, Priest Holmes in just 14 games (13½ games, really) gained 2,287 yards from scrimmage and scored 24 touchdowns. He would have smashed both records had he not gotten hurt. His team went 8-8.

• In 2000, Pedro Martinez went 18-6 with a 1.74 ERA, set the ERA+ record with a 291 ERA+, struck out 284, walked 32, was about as dominant as a pitcher can possibly be. His team went 85-77.

It's not quite like this in basketball. The best players having the best seasons take their teams to the playoffs, often deep into the playoffs, sometimes winning championships. I'm not trying to push any mystical "he's a winner" or "he's a loser" stuff. This is just a factor of five players on the floor. One player can really influence the game. The greatest players -- players who are terrific offensively and defensively, and consistent night after night -- win. They might not quite win it all, but best I can tell just about all of the great players in NBA history have at least played in the NBA Finals.

Put it this way: By my count there are only 22 players who rank among the NBA's top 50 in both Offensive Win Shares and Defensive Win Shares. Best I can tell, all 22 played in at least one Finals. Seventeen of them won a championship -- and in total they won 47 championships -- and that doesn't even include Russell, who didn't quite make it as an offensive player.

So, yes, great players influence games, seasons, championships. And few in basketball history have influenced games, seasons and championships more than Tim Duncan. You could argue about his place in the top 10, and there are enough great players in NBA history to put an imposing top 10 out there without Duncan on it. But I think he's the best power forward in basketball history and the indispensable player on a four-time champion. Even if it doesn't sound right, a top 10 list is incomplete without him.

duncan228
03-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Joe Posnanski's column for SI, 'Let's Hear Some Noise For An Icon' is the piece that Dan Shaughnessy countered. If anyone missed it:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1165279/index.htm?eref=sisf

Udokafan05
03-30-2010, 11:37 PM
Good article. Clearly proved Shaughnessy wrong again.

howbouthemspurs
03-31-2010, 12:05 AM
I got My 5 IQ points back reading this article. Duncan is surely in the top ten of all time.

DesignatedT
03-31-2010, 12:11 AM
:tu

FeZZy
03-31-2010, 01:19 AM
nice

duhoh
03-31-2010, 01:25 AM
it's so easy to take duncan for granted when he was consistently a 20 and 10 guy

LoneStarState'sPride
03-31-2010, 01:26 AM
Good stuff.

UnWantedTheory
03-31-2010, 02:05 AM
I am curious as to the counter arguments. There are those who certainly have better numbers in areas, but I do believe Duncan to be the best PF all time and I suppose a top C just because of how he has had to play. But alot of the same people who say Duncan is a top 10 all time will say Hakeem was a better player and choose him over TD to start a team. My point being, is if that is the case, than why is Hakeem not in the top 10 debate? Is it even remotely the argument some have made it out to be?

UnWantedTheory
03-31-2010, 02:05 AM
Than again...I am drunk. So dont listen to me.

DesignatedT
03-31-2010, 02:13 AM
I am curious as to the counter arguments. There are those who certainly have better numbers in areas, but I do believe Duncan to be the best PF all time and I suppose a top C just because of how he has had to play. But alot of the same people who say Duncan is a top 10 all time will say Hakeem was a better player and choose him over TD to start a team. My point being, is if that is the case, than why is Hakeem not in the top 10 debate? Is it even remotely the argument some have made it out to be?

It will be a little easier to judge and put into place once Duncan decides to hang up his sneakers.. He still has quite a bit of basketball ahead of him.... his career isn't over.

Thomas82
03-31-2010, 04:24 AM
I got My 5 IQ points back reading this article. Duncan is surely in the top ten of all time.

You can even make a case for top 5, considering the fact that he is the best that ever played his position.

the crimson blur
03-31-2010, 08:54 AM
You can even make a case for top 5, considering the fact that he is the best that ever played his position.

Personally, I think it is fairly difficult to make a top 5 without him.

VBM
03-31-2010, 09:48 AM

Championships...plain and simple. Hakeem went back to back with one hall of fame caliber player (Drexler the second year) against a solid NY team that couldn't get over the Jordan hump until he retired the first time and the Shaq/Penny Magic. Hakeem battled against one of the great Celtics teams in the 86 finals, helping carry the Rockets to a Game 6. Much like Duncan, I think the fact that he played in a small market (basketball-wise) like Houston truly kept his accomplishments hidden until he won those titles. The only time I really feel like he underachieved was when they added Barkley that following year and bowed out to the Jazz (a great team in their own right) in the WCF.

I'm a Spurs fan, and I have my biases, no doubt. But I also lived in Houston for the start of the Rockets title reign, so I got to see Hakeem play a ton. Hakeem was damn near unguardable, and was a monster on defense. #1 in blocks and #8 in steals alltime when he retired.

Hell, I think I'd take Hakeem over TD given the chance (although part of me might still be scarred from seeing what he did to DRob all those years ago).

Sigz
03-31-2010, 10:01 AM
Couldn't agree more with this article.

Not putting Duncan in the elite class simply be foolish and a clear slap to the face of one of the most quietest superstars of any sports league in history.

greensborohill
03-31-2010, 10:04 AM
The main stat that puts Duncan top 10 is the number 4.

greensborohill
03-31-2010, 10:07 AM
no real order

MJ, Russ, Wilt, Magic, Bird, Robertson, West, Duncan, Hakeem, Moses

BillMc
03-31-2010, 10:24 AM
Article is spot on. Well done and thanks for posting.

dbestpro
03-31-2010, 11:18 AM
Wow, a sports writer who actually bases his opinion on facts. The world is now a better place.

lefty
03-31-2010, 11:21 AM
Championships...plain and simple. Hakeem went back to back with one hall of fame caliber player (Drexler the second year) against a solid NY team that couldn't get over the Jordan hump until he retired the first time and the Shaq/Penny Magic. Hakeem battled against one of the great Celtics teams in the 86 finals, helping carry the Rockets to a Game 6. Much like Duncan, I think the fact that he played in a small market (basketball-wise) like Houston truly kept his accomplishments hidden until he won those titles. The only time I really feel like he underachieved was when they added Barkley that following year and bowed out to the Jazz (a great team in their own right) in the WCF.

I'm a Spurs fan, and I have my biases, no doubt. But I also lived in Houston for the start of the Rockets title reign, so I got to see Hakeem play a ton. Hakeem was damn near unguardable, and was a monster on defense. #1 in blocks and #8 in steals alltime when he retired.

Hell, I think I'd take Hakeem over TD given the chance (although part of me might still be scarred from seeing what he did to DRob all those years ago).

Hakeem is a GOAT

He was unreal

phxspurfan
03-31-2010, 02:32 PM
In 2005, Manu Ginobili was a valuable player -- very close in Win Shares -- but again Duncan led the team in scoring, rebounding and field-goal percentage, and his defensive rating was the best in the NBA. In 2007, he again led the team in Win Shares, and was once again rated (by his defensive rating and by Win Shares) as the best defensive player in the NBA.

This makes it even more upsetting that Duncan never won a DPOY, over questionable guys like Big Ben and Ron Artest and Marcus Camby. But I guess people like it when guys block it into the third row.

And my top 10 all time is probably something liek this

1. Jordan
2. Johnson (Magic)
3. Russell
4. Chamberlain
5. Mikan
6. Cousy
7. Abdul-Jabbar
8. Bird
9. Robertson (Oscar)
10. Duncan
10a. Shaqtus
10b. Erving (Dr. J)

in 2020, it may also include

10c. Bryant (if he wins another 'ship)
10d. James (LBJ if he wins more than 3 'ships)

NFGIII
03-31-2010, 03:25 PM
This makes it even more upsetting that Duncan never won a DPOY, over questionable guys like Big Ben and Ron Artest and Marcus Camby. But I guess people like it when guys block it into the third row.

Agreed and the recipe for winning a DPOY or at least in Camby's situation is to play for a bad defensive team. That season all Camby did was sit back a block shots, since most of the Nuggets were repeatedly getting beat into the paint.

That year either TD or Bowen should have won it.

And your "third row" reference struck a cord with me. I always remember Bill Russel's talk about blocking shots. He thought that to block a shot softly and get the ball was far more effective than to just knock it into the third row. Though you blocked the shot and everyone was oohing and ahhing the other team still had the ball. He thought that it was a waste of effort not to at least try to get possesion of the rock if you had that option. Sometimes you don't but most today just try to swat the sucker out of the gym. Sportscenter here I come!

Killakobe81
03-31-2010, 05:00 PM
if counted as a PF duncan makes my all-time starting 5 ...
If you put him at center it's 3rd string but behind two of the best to ever do it ...
If we say top 10 best regardless of position Duncan is top 10 still (IMHO) but closer to the bottom than the top of that list. I did not see Wilt, russell oscar or West play so for me he is a top 10 all-time player easily!

My list (started watching ball in 1980):

1. MJ
2. Magic
3. Kareem
4. Duncan
5. Kobe
6. Shaq
7. Bird
8. Isiah
9. Moses
10. KG

i know some great players like chuck and lebron are not listed but you have to win a title to be top 10 ....all-time.

phxspurfan
03-31-2010, 05:12 PM
if counted as a PF duncan makes my all-time starting 5 ...
If you put him at center it's 3rd string but behind two of the best to ever do it ...
If we say top 10 best regardless of position Duncan is top 10 still (IMHO) but closer to the bottom than the top of that list. I did not see Wilt, russell oscar or West play so for me he is a top 10 all-time player easily!

My list (started watching ball in 1980):

1. MJ
2. Magic
3. Kareem
4. Duncan
5. Kobe
6. Shaq
7. Bird
8. Isiah
9. Moses
10. KG

i know some great players like chuck and lebron are not listed but you have to win a title to be top 10 ....all-time.

Dude that's a horrible list if you're talking all-time NBA greats.

Killakobe81
03-31-2010, 05:19 PM
Dude that's a horrible list if you're talking all-time NBA greats.

Read WHAT i said ...I started watching BALL in 1980!!!
I dont rank guys I have NEVER seen

many on here do because they are stat whores or willing to drink the kool-aid .... but I do not.

Only thing that matters to me is titles before 1980 ...but since AGAIN i DID NOT SEE those guys why (or how) would I judge them?

Based on ESPN classic or NBA TV hardwood classics when they are showing THEIR ALL TIME GREAT performances?

Name someone on my list that IS NOT deserving?

I have 8 of 10 that are HOF'ers ...

every one of them won a league MVP (except Isiah but he played with Bird, Magic and MJ i think i will give him a pass on that one)

ALL 10 won a FINALS MVP ...which all 10 have RINGS that is what seperates teh great from the all-time greats ...

Please enlighten me PHXSPUR fan since 1980 who is MORE deserving?

Killakobe81
03-31-2010, 05:25 PM
Everyone has a choice but to me its funny when people born in the 80's argue that Russell or Wilt is an all-time great LOL!!!

Not saying they are not but if that is the case where is Mikan on the list? Speak on what you know ...Im sure Mantle, Unitas, Oscar, Cousy, Sugar ray Robinson and Gordie howe were all greats too I just never sen them except on archival footage ...yes I THINK they are great but i speak on what I KNOW and have seen for myself ...

Thomas82
03-31-2010, 05:26 PM
Everyone has a choice but to me its funny when people born in the 80's argue that Russell or Wilt is an all-time great LOL!!!

Not saying they are not but if that is the case where is Mikan on the list? Speak on what you know ...Im sure Mantle, Unitas, Oscar, Cousy, Sugar ray Robinson and Gordie howe were all greats too I just never sen them except on archival footage ...yes I THINK they are great but i speak on what I KNOW and have seen for myself ...

I'm not mad at you for it.

phxspurfan
03-31-2010, 05:30 PM

So no one who played before 1980 (because you were watching around then) is worth your attention on an all-time great list of a sport that started long before then...

Dude you're an idiot...stop posting in this thread. Go post in the NBA forum. Reread the article, or a reaction like this

Wow, a sports writer who actually bases his opinion on facts. The world is now a better place.

and understand what the article's writer is actually saying. Nowhere in there does he say he is basing his last on players he saw or games he saw. Making an all-time great list based on games you personally watched is inherently flawed any way you look at it. And to have no facts to back anything up only proves you made the list based on your personal preferences.

Kobe and Shaq in the middle of the top 10 in NBA history? :lol

I would classify myself as a Spurs homer and I put Duncan as the last one on there at 10, and Kobe/Shaq tied with him at 10.

Killakobe81
03-31-2010, 06:07 PM
So no one who played before 1980 (because you were watching around then) is worth your attention on an all-time great list of a sport that started long before then...

Dude you're an idiot...stop posting in this thread. Go post in the NBA forum. Reread the article, or a reaction like this

and understand what the article's writer is actually saying. Nowhere in there does he say he is basing his last on players he saw or games he saw. Making an all-time great list based on games you personally watched is inherently flawed any way you look at it. And to have no facts to back anything up only proves you made the list based on your personal preferences.

Kobe and Shaq in the middle of the top 10 in NBA history? :lol

I would classify myself as a Spurs homer and I put Duncan as the last one on there at 10, and Kobe/Shaq tied with him at 10.

First off I can post wherever I want.

2nd of all I said I started ball in 1980

I said their TITLES do matter ...but how am I going to rank them?

Based off of stats?

If that is the case than the original hack's argument MAY have some VALIDITY depending on what stats you decide to use.

I dont care if you choose to stick Duncan at the bottom of your 10 ...good for you!

I asked you to explain who AFTER 1980 (meaning played part of their prime) was MORE deserving than the guys I listed?

You did not so either you can't read or can not make a decent argument.

I am willing to listen. Also tell me how you came up with yours (list)? How old are you? Do you scour the NBA archives to actually watch more than the highlighted classic games?

I NEVER said the pre '8o's guys dont matter ...I said that I DONT judge them because I DIDNT watch them ...there is a difference. Do you judge Black, white or indian people based on old footage or movies if you dont actually know any yourself?

I hope not. And so if you dont why do you judge players that played before you were born? If you do judge people do you say that all blacks are criminal because they make up a high% of our prison population?

Stats are dangerous and judging things, people etc you dont know about is less dangerous but equally foolish.