PDA

View Full Version : indepedence day

stretch
03-31-2010, 10:47 AM
i heard they are making two sequels to this movie to complete a trilogy, starring will smith still

anyone else heard about this?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-31-2010, 10:51 AM
hey, whats up man!

no i haven't heard about it, how's marriage?

good to hear from you man

Strike
03-31-2010, 11:08 AM
Well since the first movie sucked balls, I expect any sequel to suck just as much balls, if not more.

thispego
03-31-2010, 11:09 AM
hahaha, oh yeah, independence day really sucked :rolleyes

mrsmaalox
03-31-2010, 11:13 AM
Well I'm pretty sure I could survive never seeing another Will Smith movie ever.

Fpoonsie
03-31-2010, 11:29 AM
Well since the first movie sucked balls...

Tha fuck?

phyzik
03-31-2010, 11:46 AM
As long as it doesnt involve Jeff Goldblum hacking an alien mothership with a new iPad, I will probably see them.

sonic21
03-31-2010, 11:50 AM
um...what could possibly be the plot of this?

rr2418
03-31-2010, 04:56 PM
um...what could possibly be the plot of this?

Retaliation!!

rr2418
03-31-2010, 05:09 PM
Well since the first movie sucked balls, I expect any sequel to suck just as much balls, if not more.

I thought the movie was good. The aliens just wanted to take over the world plain and simple! They didn't want to talk it over or negotiate anything. They jus wanted to F#@k us over and take ove!! I always thought ID4 was remake of The War of the Worlds with a different title. The same alien takeover. Ships hovering over major cities all over the world ready to attack. Bacteria spelled doom for TWotW aliens, a computer virus was loaded into the aliens computer.

Strike
03-31-2010, 05:12 PM
Glad you liked it. I thought it sucked balls. I think any sequel made by the same people will suck balls.

baseline bum
03-31-2010, 05:23 PM
The only good part of Independence Day was when they nuked Houston.

Strike
03-31-2010, 05:33 PM

:lol win

Sisk
03-31-2010, 05:34 PM
i heard they are making two sequels to this movie to complete a trilogy, starring will smith still

anyone else heard about this?

philip defranco?

but yes i heard this too

da_suns_fan
03-31-2010, 05:42 PM

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Fpoonsie
03-31-2010, 06:06 PM
So far, Big Willy's peeps are denying the story that he's agreed to 2 more. Fox is saying he's askin for too much money. Anyone that saw Roland Emmerich's latest cinematic wet fart shouldn't wonder why.

BlackSwordsMan
03-31-2010, 06:08 PM
I hope he's asking for 200 mil to continue this shitty idea of a movie

Bartleby
03-31-2010, 06:19 PM
As long as it doesnt involve Jeff Goldblum hacking an alien mothership with a new iPad, I will probably see them.

That's one of the things that bugged me most about that movie. I mean, it's hard enough just to get different versions of Word to work together, but somehow these guys are able to load a virus onto a computer system run by a whole other species?

With sci-fi I'll usually play along up to a point, but by then all I could think was "you've got to be fucking kidding me!"

Having the POTUS fly around in a fighter jet fighting aliens was pretty stupid, too.

Dr. Gonzo
03-31-2010, 06:31 PM
I don't think Will Smith would do it if the script really sucked. Loved the first one.

I agree. Will Smith never does a shitty movie. Wild Wild West, I Robot, Hitch, Hancock, Bad Boys II and Seven Pounds were all great.

Fpoonsie
03-31-2010, 06:32 PM
Having the POTUS fly around in a fighter jet fighting aliens was pretty stupid, too.

If by "stupid", you mean "hella fuckin' balls-to-the-wall awesome", then I concur.

Sisk
03-31-2010, 06:33 PM
I agree. Will Smith never does a shitty movie. Wild Wild West, I Robot, Hitch, Hancock, Bad Boys II and Seven Pounds were all great.

/sarcasm?

Dr. Gonzo
03-31-2010, 06:34 PM
/sarcasm?

Nope. I thought they were all Oscar worthy.

The Reckoning
03-31-2010, 06:51 PM

yeah it shouldve been more like 300

"this is Earth!" and shove the mothership into a giant black hole or something. right?

Cant_Be_Faded
03-31-2010, 09:32 PM
ID4 was in elite company for a three year span of movies surrounding its release date of 1996.

At the time, Will Smith's bull shit hackneyed style of acting was still relatively fresh.
Also, a big chunk of moviegoers in 1996 had not experienced a star-studded, invasion/annihilation movie before.
I still remember the whole audience at the theater clapping when Smith decked that Alien in the face and was like "Welcome to Earth!"

But after being the same exact character and using the same exact eyebrow movements to show emotion for twenty straight movies, I can't take anything he does seriously anymore.

peteee
03-31-2010, 09:33 PM
hahaha, oh yeah, independence day really sucked :rolleyes
not really TBH. In fact I have had a strong penchant for it ever since the first time i saw it, and always been expecting some sequels.

Spurminator
03-31-2010, 10:18 PM
Hopefully in the sequel the aliens retake earth and we find out that they only pretended to be defeated by the computer virus, just to get a laugh out of humans actually believing a computer virus would destroy them.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-31-2010, 10:19 PM
What is sad is that a sequel to such a movie would basically do nothing except prop up the next Shia LeBouf in a role he's unqualified for, and promote the movie with shit music that they want to go platinum. Like the new Linkin Park or something.

The Reckoning
03-31-2010, 10:27 PM
the movie is about immigration. think about it.

the jewish smartass, black athletic military man, and white man in power reluctantly team up to fight off "alien invaders" who threaten the sanctity of America's racial hierarchy. its about fightin' off the influx of Mexican immigration post-Nafta agreement. same with Men in Black.

just sayin'.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-31-2010, 10:35 PM
the movie is about immigration. think about it.

the jewish smartass, black athletic military man, and white man in power reluctantly team up to fight off "alien invaders" who threaten the sanctity of America's racial hierarchy. its about fightin' off the influx of Mexican immigration post-Nafta agreement. same with Men in Black.

just sayin'.

I don't know how to break this to you

but pretty much every movie ever made in America since around the time of Citizen Kane has had a main character that is a Jew.

And Will Smith was hot at the time. Like if you wanted to make money with your summer blockbuster, he was the number 1 draft pick. He was like the Fiddy Cent of the second half of the 90's

The Reckoning
03-31-2010, 10:37 PM
to be fair...i was quoting an immigration and popular culture class i took at UT that analyzed Hollywood's take on immigration throughout the 20th century. take it up with the PHDs.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-31-2010, 10:39 PM
to be fair...i was quoting an immigration and popular culture class i took at UT that analyzed Hollywood's take on immigration throughout the 20th century. take it up with the PHDs.

Did they actually mention ID4 and say that?

From someone who grew up on television and would bet my life that I know a 90's movie's place in history as good or better than anyone with a degree: saying it is about immigration is a stretch at best.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-31-2010, 10:41 PM
Plus Mexican immigration was a steady onslaught even before the NAFTA agreement. The talk about that being anything new is propaganda.

The Reckoning
03-31-2010, 10:41 PM
Did they actually mention ID4 and say that?

From someone who grew up on television and would bet my life that I know a 90's movie's place in history as good or better than anyone with a degree: saying it is about immigration is a stretch at best.

yeah. ill lend you my book if you want it.

The Reckoning
03-31-2010, 10:42 PM
Plus Mexican immigration was a steady onslaught even before the NAFTA agreement. The talk about that being anything new is propaganda.

except when the tarriff on American agricultural exports was lifted and bankrupted farmers in Mexico.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-31-2010, 10:48 PM
yeah. ill lend you my book if you want it.

typical case of intellectuals making stretches to make their points valid.

The invaders express intent was annihilation, there were no side comments about upsetting hierarchies beyond pure annihilation.

it's quite a stretch
i would have loved to be in a class where a professor brought that up

The Reckoning
03-31-2010, 10:57 PM
no, the point is that the common theme of "alien" movies is immigration. destroying American infrastructure can easily be a metaphor of racial hierarchy.

Predator was is set in Central America, then Predator II "migrates" to LA.

in Visitors of the Night, the protagonists last name is English

The Faculty is focused on the public school system

in Independence Day, the Statue of Liberty is blown up, going down with the quote "give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breath free"

in Men in Black II they do some stupid bouncing off the Statue of Liberty trick to reach the masses of Americans

Buffy the Vampire Slayer had an all-white cast the first 5 years fighting off "others" within the high school

im not saying its all right...its just interesting to think about. especially when Hollywood is essentially owned by Jewish Americans wanting to keep their place in the racial hierarchy

CuckingFunt
03-31-2010, 11:01 PM
Mars Attacks > Independence Day.

By a lot.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-31-2010, 11:03 PM
I'm sure some alien invader movies are blatantly metaphors for mexican immigration

but smart people can say anything is really a metaphor for anything
It's what they do

The Reckoning
03-31-2010, 11:05 PM

By a lot.

again, faking international agreement and universal "peace" and then blasting the American political structure when there's an "open door"

balli
03-31-2010, 11:07 PM

lol Bad Boys 2 was so fucking shitty. I walked out. That, Coyote Ugly and Alexander are the three movies I've walked out on.

And if anybody wants to kill 20 minutes on an anecdote related to Wild Wild West, this Kevin Smith video will do the trick:

vgYhLIThTvk

Cant_Be_Faded
03-31-2010, 11:08 PM
And if anybody wants to kill 20 minutes on an anecdote related to Wild Wild West, this Kevin Smith video will do the trick:

vgYhLIThTvk

I don't watch videos of men too fat to fit into airplane seats.

Sorry breh.

CuckingFunt
03-31-2010, 11:17 PM
Buffy the Vampire Slayer had an all-white cast the first 5 years fighting off "others" within the high school

Buffy was about turning common problems/issues/concerns faced by teenagers and young adults into monsters.

And they weren't in high school for five years.

Fpoonsie
10-26-2012, 12:14 PM
For baseline bum

http://collider.com/independence-day-2-sequel-dean-devlin-interview/184201/

lakerhaterade
10-26-2012, 01:14 PM

By a lot.

no

mojorizen7
10-28-2012, 03:26 AM
Will Smith sucks.

Wild Cobra
10-28-2012, 03:37 AM
Will Smith sucks.
You can't be serious, and be of this world.

rr2418
10-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Just wondering, for the people who didn't like ID4, what would've made the movie good for you? Oh yeah, leave out the obvious answers like Will Smith or Jeff Goldblum not acting in the movie!

DMC
10-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Smith was fine except he can't act. His friend dies and he's like "aaaahhhhh... ok fuck it time to look cool and light a cigar".

Just a stupid movie with a white POTUS. Smith should have been the POTUS and why does his GF gotta be a whore? How did he find his GF like she had a homing beacon in the middle of a decimated city? Odds of the 1st lady being there as well? Odds that the alien ship has a monitor when they speak with telepathy?

rr2418
10-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Why is having a POTUS make ID4 stupid? Why would you want Smith playing POTUS?