PDA

View Full Version : Goat list

Darthkiller
03-31-2010, 12:43 PM
1. Michael Jordan 6 time finals mvp , 30 career ppg nuff said

2. Wilt Chamberlain 50 ppg 25 rpg season 100 ppg game

3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar nba scoring leader, most unstoppable offensive move the skyhook. very long career

3. Larry Bird only player ever to win 3 straight mvp, best non pg passer of all time, best clutch player of all time

4 Magic Johnson best pg of all time, althogh was a 2nd fiddle to kareem for half of his career.

5. Bill Russell 11 rings faggot

6 Hakeem Olajuwon carried a team of scrubs to a title, only player to win mvp,dpoy and final mvp all in 1 season

7. Tim Duncan - 2nd most fundamentally skilled player of all time behind bird. 4 rings

8 Kobe Bryant - best scorer in the 2000s, 4 rings, pretty clutch

9 Shaquille Oneal - super dominant in his prime, although was too lazy in other years. could have been a top 5 player.

10 Jerry West - The logo, only player to win finals mvp when his team lost.

urunobili
03-31-2010, 12:46 PM
11) Robert Horry - Clutchest Player in the history of the game

Muser
03-31-2010, 01:04 PM
Yeah if we're talking the Clutch GOAT it's got to be Horry.

And Shaq could have been the GOAT ahead of Jordan if he wasn't such a fat ass

JMarkJohns
03-31-2010, 01:11 PM
Love seein' Hakeem above Shaq... whether right or wrong in reality, Hakeem maximized his potential, whereas Shaq always seemed content to just be great, and not All-Time great like his ability hinted he could be.

monosylab1k
03-31-2010, 01:13 PM
imho

1. Jordan
2. Magic
3. Bird
4. Shaq
5. Kobe
6. Kareem
7. Duncan
8. Dr. J
9. Russell (tbh i'm not impressed by a guy who dominated a bunch of 6-5 honkeys)
10. Wilt (played in Russell's era and got curbstomped by the one guy who posed a challenge)

Sportstudi
03-31-2010, 01:20 PM
3. Larry Bird only player ever to win 3 straight mvp , best non pg passer of all time, best clutch player of all time

Sorry to correct you, but Bill Russell achieved it as well (1961-63).

Tom Slick
03-31-2010, 01:25 PM
Shows that you don't know shit.

I speak for everyone when I say you're a dumbshit who overrates the hell out of wilt chamberlain.

Halberto
03-31-2010, 01:32 PM
10 Jerry West - The logo, only player to win finals mvp when his team lost.

Wow... I never knew that. That's incredible. Feel sorry for the best player on the winning team :lol

lefty
03-31-2010, 01:40 PM
1. Jordan
2. Olajuwon
3. Kareem
4. Bird
5. Russell
6. Magic
7. Duncan
8. Pippen
9. Robetson
10. Isaiah Thomas

stretch
03-31-2010, 01:42 PM

figures we would see your dumb ass in here

stretch
03-31-2010, 01:46 PM
1. Jordan
2. Kareem
3. Duncan
4. Magic
5. Kobe
6. Bird
7. Shaq
8. Olajuwon
9. Wilt
10. Russell

mavs>spurs2
03-31-2010, 01:52 PM
1. Jordan
2. Hakeem
3. Magic
4. Kareem
5. Bird
6. Shaq
7. Wilt
8. Robertson
9. Russel
10. Rodrigue Beaubois

Xylus
03-31-2010, 01:54 PM
1. Jordan
2. JJ Hickson
3. Russell
4. Kareem
5. Bird
6. Magic
7. Wilt
8. Duncan
9. Hakeem
10. Shaq

4chan
03-31-2010, 01:55 PM
>my face when Kobe is on anyone's list while winning all of his titles as a 2nd banana

http://www.interbasket.net/news/wp-content/gallery/interbasket/pau-gasol-scowls-at-referee1.jpg

urunobili
03-31-2010, 01:59 PM
imho

1. Jordan
2. Magic
3. Bird
4. Shaq
5. Kobe
6. Kareem
7. Duncan
8. Dr. J
9. Russell (tbh i'm not impressed by a guy who dominated a bunch of 6-5 honkeys)
10. Wilt (played in Russell's era and got curbstomped by the one guy who posed a challenge)
CROFL Shaq > Duncan :lmao

lefty
03-31-2010, 02:08 PM
1. Jordan
2. JJ Hickson
3. Russell
4. Kareem
5. Bird
6. Magic
7. Wilt
8. Duncan
9. Hakeem
10. Shaq
What about Blatche? :depressed

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-31-2010, 02:23 PM
1. Jordan
2. Kareem
--------line between them and everyone else--------
3. Magic
4. Bird
5. Shaq
6. Duncan
7. Oscar Robertson
8. Wilt
9. Hakeem
10. Kobe

Bill Russell doesn't deserve to be anywhere near this list. Played against a bunch of guys who wouldn't even be D-leaguers in today's NBA and couldn't score 20 PPG once. His 11 titles are neat and all but it helps when there are only 7 other teams in the NBA and every single one of your championship teams had 2 other players on the 50 greatest of all time list (a good amount of those teams actually had 3 players besides Russell on the greatest 50 players ever list).

Ashy Larry
03-31-2010, 02:36 PM
match Kareem's resume up against Hakeem's and there's no way anyone should have the Dream over Cap.

lefty
03-31-2010, 02:40 PM
match Kareem's resume up against Hakeem's and there's no way anyone should have the Dream over Cap.
What?

Hakeem didnt play with Magic

JamStone
03-31-2010, 02:59 PM
1. Jordan
2. Magic
3. Kareem
4. Wilt (I'd consider flip flopping Wilt and Kareem)
5. Bird
6. Hakeem
7. Duncan
8. Russell
9. Shaq
10. Oscar

I think Kobe is still knocking on the door but should sneak into the top 10 ahead of Oscar by the end of his career.

Wilt had his faults as a winner, especially in terms of selfishness and not allowing his teammates to become better basketball players to help his teams overall become better. But, personally, I find it hard to fault the guy for his teams losing to Boston those five times in the playoffs when in those handful of playoff series, he was putting up 30 PPG, 25 RPG, 3 APG, and shooting 50%+. There should be a decent amount of weight put on the team ultimately winning for these HOF players, but I don't think you should diminish the individual dominance too much, to the point that the lack of championships is weighed in such a way that the team winning and losing is put on the individual player unfairly too much. I don't think we hold it against Magic or diminish his greatness as an individual player that he was surrounded by Kareem and Worthy for most of those titles. I think it should be equally or at least similarly viewed when lack of talented teammates plays a role in winning and losing, such as in Wilt's case.

Kai
03-31-2010, 03:00 PM
http://www.howtoboilafrog.com/uploaded_images/African-pygmy-goat-770432.jpg

Blake
03-31-2010, 04:11 PM
1. Jordan
2. Magic
3. Kareem
4. Wilt (I'd consider flip flopping Wilt and Kareem)
5. Bird
6. Hakeem
7. Duncan
8. Russell
9. Shaq
10. Oscar

I think Kobe is still knocking on the door but should sneak into the top 10 ahead of Oscar by the end of his career.

Wilt had his faults as a winner, especially in terms of selfishness and not allowing his teammates to become better basketball players to help his teams overall become better. But, personally, I find it hard to fault the guy for his teams losing to Boston those five times in the playoffs when in those handful of playoff series, he was putting up 30 PPG, 25 RPG, 3 APG, and shooting 50%+. There should be a decent amount of weight put on the team ultimately winning for these HOF players, but I don't think you should diminish the individual dominance too much, to the point that the lack of championships is weighed in such a way that the team winning and losing is put on the individual player unfairly too much. I don't think we hold it against Magic or diminish his greatness as an individual player that he was surrounded by Kareem and Worthy for most of those titles. I think it should be equally or at least similarly viewed when lack of talented teammates plays a role in winning and losing, such as in Wilt's case.

:tu couldn't have said it better.

the only difference I would make on your list would be to move Duncan up one and drop Hakeem down to 10th.

mavs>spurs2
03-31-2010, 04:16 PM
:tu couldn't have said it better.

the only difference I would make on your list would be to move Duncan up one and drop Hakeem down to 10th.

You're severely underrating Hakeem. Dude made more impact plays on both ends of the court than probably any other player in nba history.

stretch
03-31-2010, 04:25 PM
Does anyone know the major difference between building teams today and back in the 1960s? There are scouts. The college game was on a regional level. Everyone on the West Coast had heard of Bill Russell, but about a year before the draft Red Auerbach had never even heard of him. Red never even saw Russell play, but because Red had friends the coached college around the nation he knew about players such as Sam Jones or Russell from his coaching buddies. So in a way the Celtics had an advantage over every team in the NBA when it came to drafting talent.

When Wilt played with the Warriors those first few years, the second best player on the team was an old, past his prime Paul Arizan and the third best was a young Guy Rogers. By that time Russell's Celtics had several players already built around him. The Cousy/Sharman back court was just using up it's last few years of being good and players like Tom Heinshon, Frank Ramsey and Sam Jones were all in their mid 20s.

Fastforward to when Wilt played with the San Francisco Warriors, Wilt had the rookie Nate Thurmond, and Guy Rogers as his best players while Russell had Havlicek, both Jones', a still in his prime Tom Heinsohn and some other nice bigmen.

It's also a common misconception that Russell shut Wilt down. Nope. Russell would even tell you today that Wilt scored on him just as easily as he scored on anyone else. The Celtics would always triple team Wilt, and back then it was almost litterally no blood no foul so Wilt would come out of games beaten up all the time.

Very few people here know anything about the era of basketball before the ABA/NBA merger. Since there are few films of games back then, do yourself a favor and pick up a book.

Do yourself a favor and quit with the revisionist history. Shaq could have averaged 50+ a game against a shitstorm of 6'0 white guys.

Blake
03-31-2010, 04:26 PM
You're severely underrating Hakeem. Dude made more impact plays on both ends of the court than probably any other player in nba history.

cool, then put him at #1 on your list then.

Blake
03-31-2010, 04:28 PM
Do yourself a favor and quit with the revisionist history. Shaq could have averaged 50+ a game against a shitstorm of 6'0 white guys.

If Wilt had been born more recently, he probably would have been Yao's size, tbh, all things being equal.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-31-2010, 04:34 PM
Does anyone know the major difference between building teams today and back in the 1960s? There are scouts. The college game was on a regional level. Everyone on the West Coast had heard of Bill Russell, but about a year before the draft Red Auerbach had never even heard of him. Red never even saw Russell play, but because Red had friends the coached college around the nation he knew about players such as Sam Jones or Russell from his coaching buddies. So in a way the Celtics had an advantage over every team in the NBA when it came to drafting talent.

When Wilt played with the Warriors those first few years, the second best player on the team was an old, past his prime Paul Arizan and the third best was a young Guy Rogers. By that time Russell's Celtics had several players already built around him. The Cousy/Sharman back court was just using up it's last few years of being good and players like Tom Heinshon, Frank Ramsey and Sam Jones were all in their mid 20s.

Fastforward to when Wilt played with the San Francisco Warriors, Wilt had the rookie Nate Thurmond, and Guy Rogers as his best players while Russell had Havlicek, both Jones', a still in his prime Tom Heinsohn and some other nice bigmen.

It's also a common misconception that Russell shut Wilt down. Nope. Russell would even tell you today that Wilt scored on him just as easily as he scored on anyone else. The Celtics would always triple team Wilt, and back then it was almost litterally no blood no foul so Wilt would come out of games beaten up all the time.

Very few people here know anything about the era of basketball before the ABA/NBA merger. Since there are few films of games back then, do yourself a favor and pick up a book.

In the book I read written by Auerbach, he talked about all the cheap shit they did to get in Wilt's head like being nice to him and taking him out to dinner the night before games. Russell even said once that if he wanted to Wilt could have "averaged 100 per game" (which is obviously hyperbole) but he was too nice. If someone gets softened up that easily and has problems scoring on someone because that person took him out to dinner, his competitiveness should be questioned.

redzero
03-31-2010, 04:34 PM
>my face when people have Duncan over Hakeem

http://moretalk.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/pettitte-goat.jpg

Blake
03-31-2010, 04:44 PM
>my face when people have Duncan over Hakeem

http://moretalk.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/pettitte-goat.jpg

If I was as ugly as you, brocephus, I wouldn't post my pic.

LakeShow
03-31-2010, 04:46 PM
1. Michael Jordan

2. Kobe Bryant

Brazil
03-31-2010, 06:09 PM
1. Michael Jordan

2. Kobe Bryant

:lol well at least you didn't go with 1. kobe and 2. MJ it's a progress for a laker fan

Brazil
03-31-2010, 06:18 PM
What about Blatche? :depressed

speaking about blatche he put an impressive stat line yesterday 31 points, 10 rebounds, four steals, three blocks and three assists

Bob Lanier
03-31-2010, 06:28 PM
http://hismin.com/images/goat2.jpg

Smooth Criminal
03-31-2010, 06:41 PM
If everybody worked as hard as they should have Jordan wouldn't be top 2, and Kobe wouldn't be top 10. Bird wouldn't make top 15.

Wilt, as great as he was, could have been so much more with a killer mentality and work ethic.

Shaq, if he had the Kobe, Jordan, Bird work ethic, would have been the goat, and it wouldn't have even been close. would have been downright silly.

If only everyone could work hard...

Smooth Criminal
03-31-2010, 06:42 PM
imho

1. Jordan
2. Magic
3. Bird
4. Shaq
5. Kobe
6. Kareem
7. Duncan
8. Dr. J

Russel had 7 other HOF's. There were the games where Wilt outplayed Russel, there were games where Russel outplayed Wilt, and then there were the games where Wilt dominated Russel.

Spursfan092120
03-31-2010, 09:08 PM
>my face when Kobe is on anyone's list while winning all of his titles as a 2nd banana

http://www.interbasket.net/news/wp-content/gallery/interbasket/pau-gasol-scowls-at-referee1.jpg

hater...and this coming from a guy who really dislikes the Lakers..Kobe is Top 10, maybe even top 5 on everyone's list.

stretch
04-01-2010, 12:00 PM
:lol well at least you didn't go with 1. kobe and 2. MJ it's a progress for a laker fan

hes actually a rocket fan posing as a lakerfan with the sole intent to talk shit to spursfans.

no BS

stretch
04-01-2010, 12:07 PM
you're getting Mikian and Wilt confused. Every team in the NBA had at least twoor three 6'9 or taller players back then. By the 60s taller players and black players were all around the league. Hell Oscar Robertson played point guard at 6'5" which was unheard of back then.

Wilt was a nice person, which is a good thing. He litterally could have killed people. He was the strongest player to ever play. In order of strongest players I would say Wilt, Shaq and then Moses.

so I take it that you were one of the lucky 20,000 to get the hot beef injection from wilt himself

DBryant88
04-01-2010, 12:47 PM
1. Jordan
2. Kareem
3. Wilt
4. Magic
5. Bird
6.Russell
7. Kobe
8. Shaq
9. Dr. J
10 Robinson/Duncan

ambchang
04-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Anybody ranking Kobe over Shaq is retarded.

Killakobe81
04-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Yeah if we're talking the Clutch GOAT it's got to be Horry.

And Shaq could have been the GOAT ahead of Jordan if he wasn't such a fat ass

I agree that is why he is behind hakeem and Tim (IMHO)

Killakobe81
04-01-2010, 01:11 PM
1. Jordan
2. Kareem
3. Duncan
4. Magic
5. Kobe
6. Bird
7. Shaq
8. Olajuwon
9. Wilt
10. Russell

Duncan over Magic and Shaq over Hakeem LOL

ForeignFan
04-01-2010, 01:31 PM
I would say Barkely was stronger than all three of those guys. Your man love for Wilt is epic.

:nope

stretch
04-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Duncan over Magic and Shaq over Hakeem LOL

Duncan > Magic

I can understand Shaq and Hakeem though. That I have no problem with switching.

But if I'm choosing a guy to build a team around, I'm taking Timmy all day over Magic.

monosylab1k
04-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Shaq 2000-2003 > Hakeem 1993-1996

Hakeem caught Shaq early in his career, which is why he made him look so foolish. In their primes, I'll take Shaq over Hakeem any day.

mavs>spurs2
04-01-2010, 02:07 PM
.Wilt was a nice person, which is a good thing. He litterally could have killed people. He was the strongest player to ever play. In order of strongest players I would say Wilt, Shaq and then Moses.

:lmao this wilt joke is reaching chuck norris proportions

Tom Slick
04-01-2010, 02:11 PM
wilt better be glad i was in 'Nam during all this, or he would have been calling the ambalamps

hitmanyr2k
04-01-2010, 02:13 PM
My all-time player rankings place importance on defense just as much as offense so Magic is going to be lower than most lists....

1. Michael Jordan
2. Kareem
3. Wilt Chamberlain
4. Hakeem Olajuwon
5. Larry Bird
6. Tim Duncan
7. Moses Malone
8. Shaq
9. Julius Erving
10. Magic Johnson

Blake
04-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Wilt was a nice person, which is a good thing. He litterally could have killed people. He was the strongest player to ever play. In order of strongest players I would say Wilt, Shaq and then Moses.

I believe it. I remember him well in his role in Conan the Barbarian:

http://img5.allocine.fr/acmedia/rsz/434/x/x/x/medias/nmedia/18/65/73/08/18944309.jpg

hitmanyr2k
04-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Yet you have Bird 5 when Magic was a better defender than Bird... right.

Bird wasn't blessed with great speed and athleticism but he made an impact on defense anyway through hustle and b-ball IQ. He was a damn good help defender and he put in the effort and made enough of a difference on the defensive end for me to include him in my Top 5. Magic didn't possess that intangible. For the majority of his career he barely even tried on the defensive side of the ball. He relied on his other teammates to do that for him. Considering his average defense (at best) I had trouble even putting him in my Top 10 because honestly I usually loathe one-way players.

hitmanyr2k
04-01-2010, 03:53 PM
I believe it. I remember him well in his role in Conan the Barbarian

Wilt was in Conan: The Destroyer and I actually watched that last night :lol

hitmanyr2k
04-01-2010, 03:57 PM
You'd have to travel to Mars to get someone to agree with this insane post.

I really don't care. I watched these players growing up. I know what I saw.

MiamiHeat
04-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Lol at several peoples placing kobe above shaq and duncan

lols.

Killakobe81
04-01-2010, 04:05 PM
I really don't care. I watched these players growing up. I know what I saw.

I am sorry but to see Magic didnt "try" on defense when he was playing against the smaller and quicker athlete but Bird was a better defnder when he played at one of the historically weak positions in the NBA is down right funny.
I think it is great to give credence to defense more people should ...but both sucked at 1 on 1 defense but BOTH were decent help guys ...Magic's rebounding at the guard position alone is a tremendous "help" to team defense AND he also led the league in steals one year ...

But whatever ...I do admit steals and rebounds dont alsways = good individual dfense but are VERY helpful to a team.

Anyone that puts magic at the bottom (or Bird is misguided) because any argument for the or against the other, could be made for the other as well.

Killakobe81
04-01-2010, 04:06 PM
also you say defense matters but put bird OVEr duncan LOL!

hitmanyr2k
04-01-2010, 04:39 PM
I am sorry but to see Magic didnt "try" on defense when he was playing against the smaller and quicker athlete but Bird was a better defnder when he played at one of the historically weak positions in the NBA is down right funny.
I think it is great to give credence to defense more people should ...but both sucked at 1 on 1 defense but BOTH were decent help guys ...Magic's rebounding at the guard position alone is a tremendous "help" to team defense AND he also led the league in steals one year ...

But whatever ...I do admit steals and rebounds dont alsways = good individual dfense but are VERY helpful to a team.

Anyone that puts magic at the bottom (or Bird is misguided) because any argument for the or against the other, could be made for the other as well.

I don't equate steals with being a good defender (see Iverson or Chris Paul for that matter). Bird got his steals too and despite having very little athletic ability blocked a good amount of shots, and was a great rebounder. He was sure as hell better than Magic on the defensive side of the ball and I don't see how anyone who watched these two players can argue that.

also you say defense matters but put bird OVEr duncan LOL!

I consider Bird a better offensive player than Duncan. Bird's effort on defense and his offensive superiority over Duncan gives him the nod. If Bird played defense like Magic he'd be at the bottom of the list right along with him.

HarlemHeat37
04-01-2010, 05:05 PM
1. Michael Jordan..
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar..
3. Wilt Chamberlain..
4. Bill Russell..
5. Magic Johnson..
6. Larry Bird..
7. Tim Duncan..
8. Shaquille O'Neal..
9. Hakeem Olajuwon..
10. Kobe Bryant..

Kobe moves up to 8 for me if he wins a ring this season..

cobbler
04-01-2010, 08:11 PM
1. Oscar (1 and 2 could go either way)
2. Wilt
3. Jabbar
4. Jordan
5. Russell
6. Magic
7. Bird
8.Olajuwon
9. Kobe
10. tie between Shaq and Duncan

djohn2oo8
04-01-2010, 08:16 PM
1. Michael Jordan..
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar..
3. Wilt Chamberlain..
4. Bill Russell..
5. Magic Johnson..
6. Larry Bird..
7. Tim Duncan..
8. Shaquille O'Neal..
9. Hakeem Olajuwon..
10. Kobe Bryant..

Kobe moves up to 8 for me if he wins a ring this season..

Um, why did u put Duncan ahead of Hakeem and Shaq? And Shaq ahead of Hakeem?

TheSullyMonster
04-01-2010, 08:18 PM
1. Jordan
2. Kareem
3. Wilt
4. Magic
5. Bird
6.Russell
7. Kobe
8. Shaq
9. Dr. J
10 Robinson/Duncan

It kills me to say it, but Robinson isn't top 10.

Smooth Criminal
04-01-2010, 08:42 PM
1. Jordan
2. Olajuwon
3. Kareem
4. Bird
5. Russell
6. Magic
7. Duncan
8. Pippen
9. Robetson
10. Isaiah Thomas

Que?

Blake
04-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Um, why did u put Duncan ahead of Hakeem and Shaq? And Shaq ahead of Hakeem?

Duncan>Hakeem

no brainer

Rogue
04-01-2010, 09:05 PM
duncan>hakeem

no brainer

lolololol

Blake
04-01-2010, 09:08 PM
lolololol

yes, I think it's lolololol too when someone thinks Hakeem was better than Duncan.